Menu

What are you serving for Easter?

Drama Llama

Pulled pork (will smoke it all day tomorrow and reheat on Easter), baked beans, deviled eggs, corn “pie” which is fancy cornbread in a graham cracker crust, asparagus, and ambrosia. Dessert will be carrot cake with birthday candles as my birthday is on Easter this year! 
I’m also making quiche for breakfast and have gluten free donuts I’ll warm up. 

• Like 1

On 4/6/2023 at 12:43 PM, BandH said:

I am leaning towards making brunch, but I have a question.

Is it weird to serve soup with brunch?  I really like soup, and there is a recipe for asparagus soup that is calling my name. 

There are no rules for brunch. It’s why brunch is awesome. You can have eggs and alcohol and nobody asks questions. 

On 4/6/2023 at 3:30 PM, BandH said:

How does this sound?

Cucumber/smoked salmon appetizers

Some other appetizers other people are bringing 

Lemon asparagus soup

Roasted lamb/potato hash

Quiche or frittata of some sort (someone else is bringing it)

carrots (Someone else is bringing)

salad (someone else is bringing)

green fruit salad (kiwi, grapes, honeydew)

bacon

Baked goods (someone else is bringing)

crème brûlée French toast

mixed berries 

whipped cream

mimosas/OJ

tea and coffee (hot or iced)

Any feedback?  Suggestions?

We will have 16 people.  1 toddler, 2 very elderly who do better with easier textures, and everyone else is teen to adult with no food issues.  

I’m getting real tired of my dinner invitation getting lost in the mail!

11 hours ago, Spy Car said:

Two days a year, I take off cooking. Easter is one of those days. I'm a guest.

However, if I were cooking, I know one thing I'd make:

Purple Cauliflower Soup.

I "invented" this soup many years ago, and an internet search confirms that others have co-invented similar soups, but this is a beautiful dish to serve on Easter. The color is a gorgeous pastel that resembles what one could find expect on an Easter egg. It looks absolutely seasonal--knock your socks off!!--and "fancy," but could not be simpler (assuming one can source the purple cauliflower).

All you need to do is break up the flowerlets and them cook them (very gently) in warm milk.  I'm sure a milk substitute would be fine.Season with salt and adding sliced fresh garlic is optional).

You don't want to "boil" the milk (as that would form a "skin) just have it hot enough to cook the purple cauliflower until it is tender.

Then use a stick blender (or regular blender) and process until smooth.

A little butter or sour cream during the process adds richness, but that's optional.

It is that easy. One can garnish the soup with a splash of creme fraiche or sour cream (or not) and or/fresh dill (or not).

If purple cauliflower are available (but dear) and there are many mouths to feed, there is no loss in using skinned potatoes cut into a small pieces and cooking those with the purple cauliflower and milk to "extend" the soup. It will still be colorful and delicious.

One of those soups where it is better IMO to keep the servings small. The Wow! factor is tremendous.

Internet photos:

post_3500978.webp

c921cd7eddb9d064cdc36d374304af64.jpg

Happy Easter!

Bill

This is gorgeous!  I make a broccoli soup with just broccoli, water, and salt with a similar technique. You can add a little cream or cheese to it, but if the broccoli is fresh it doesn’t need anything. It’s so creamy and the color is divine. It’s not purple soup divine though, so I’m definitely going to have to try yours. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

There are no rules for brunch. It’s why brunch is awesome. You can have eggs and alcohol and nobody asks questions. 

I’m getting real tired of my dinner invitation getting lost in the mail!

This is gorgeous!  I make a broccoli soup with just broccoli, water, and salt with a similar technique. You can add a little cream or cheese to it, but if the broccoli is fresh it doesn’t need anything. It’s so creamy and the color is divine. It’s not purple soup divine though, so I’m definitely going to have to try yours. 

I originally made the same soup with regular cauliflower, and it tastes really good too (especially if one "cooks" garlic along with the cauliflower) and one sneaks in more fat. But the color of purple cauliflower makes it Easter holiday worthy.

People gasp when they see it in person. And it is dead simple to make.

Bill

23 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

I originally made the same soup with regular cauliflower, and it tastes really good too (especially if one "cooks" garlic along with the cauliflower) and one sneaks in more fat. But the color of purple cauliflower makes it Easter holiday worthy.

People gasp when they see it in person. And it is dead simple to make.

Bill

I will put that on my list for the next holiday!  

I think I should do this:  With purple and white cauliflower soups.

https://www.atticmag.com/2015/12/two-soups-in-one-bowl/

• Like 1

In all my years :D, I've never made an Easter dinner or baked a ham.  I'm doing both this year! 

I went to Whole Foods and got an all natural ham and plan to make a glaze with orange slices and fresh thyme.  I'll roast some baby potatoes and serve green beans with sliced almonds and feta cheese.  I think it all sounds pretty easy so it should be doable as long as our water is turned on!  Due to expected flooding, the city was tampering with pipes which caused a leak and it all resulted with our water being turned off for a day or two...

• Like 1

Honestly, I have NO idea.   I have heard that Aldi has 60% ham right now but I think we have plenty of leftover ham from Christmas in our freezer, so that needs to be eaten.

DH will prob make mashed potatoes.   We have rolls in the freezer.   

We have frozen veggies

Ok, thanks for this thread, I just concluded we are freezer eating.

• Like 2

On 4/6/2023 at 8:51 AM, Kassia said:

I think it will be just me and DH this year and the dinner plan is  leftover pizza.  🙂 

54 minutes ago, freesia said:

How did it go for everyone? Everything turned out well here. I’m so relieved and exhausted. Next year we will take Easter Monday off! 

Our leftover pizza was delicious!  And easy cleanup!  😂

Glad yours turned out well and hope everyone had a wonderful Easter!  

• Like 1

I've been sick with a cold, so we didn't have people over.   I had already ordered a smoked ham, which was good.  I'm using leftovers for the ham hock in for beans and rice this week and some other leftovers for a quiche tonight.   I warmed up bob evans mashed potatoes because so many people here love them.  They were better than my homemade mashed potatoes, lol.  I guess they will be our go-to now.   And I fixed green beans and deviled eggs.  Both turned out well considering I really did not want to do anything at all.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, freesia said:

How did it go for everyone? Everything turned out well here. I’m so relieved and exhausted. Next year we will take Easter Monday off! 

It went well here.

Our hike turned out longer than we expected, so I had just enough time to come home and pull together the meal.  I think hunger could have been the best sauce, but we were all just exhausted.  Dinner took 2 hours of eating slowly, lingering over each part.  A few things learned:

The chicken dish went over really well.  DS and his GF had brunch with her family and ham there, so they were glad to have something different.  I seared the bottom of each piece after pulling them from the oven, which helped with flavor.

No need for the fruit and cheese platter.  The tiramisu and small lemon bundt cake on the table were more than enough.

Next year we may have more guests. I knew ds and his gf went to the far end of the county to have brunch (1h drive from here), I did not know that her brothers also drove that direction (so add another 2 hours) and her mother's tradition was an 11am brunch, 5 mile beach walk, and then have everyone drive back.  Traffic is horrifically bad on a "good" weekend here, but there's also construction at one of the two major entry points. And there will probably be the same mess next year, too, because that's how it is.  I told her the offer was open if they wanted to make a pit stop for an evening meal as they passed through.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

I've been sick with a cold, so we didn't have people over.   I had already ordered a smoked ham, which was good.  I'm using leftovers for the ham hock in for beans and rice this week and some other leftovers for a quiche tonight.   I warmed up bob evans mashed potatoes because so many people here love them.  They were better than my homemade mashed potatoes, lol.  I guess they will be our go-to now.   And I fixed green beans and deviled eggs.  Both turned out well considering I really did not want to do anything at all.  

I hope you feel better today. I  am loving all my leftovers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, freesia said:

For breakfast we had two types of quice and a hashbrown casserole thing. I forgot to put the can of evaporated milk in with the egg mixture in the casserole, but everyone RAVED about it - turns out we all think most breakfast casseroles are too wet, and this one was more eggy, so happy accident.

Dinner -  smoked pork was delicoius (and less fatty than when DH makes it - I did it myself this time and pulled off a bunch of the fat before shredding it. No one complained, and I could eat it without feeling gross). It did take WAY longer than anticipated because I didn't keep up on making sure the pellets in the pellet grill/smoker thing were moving right. I checked that there were enough, but they got all mounded weird at one point and the whole thing stopped smoking. Sigh. So I was up until 1am waiting for it to finish. But yummy! And we have a ton left over. I had some for breakfast this morning - I heated that and some leftover veggies from Saturday (zucchini, red peppers, cabbage) in a hot pan like a hash sort of. For dinner I'll have some on a salad I think. Ambrosia was liked by 50% of us. My cake didn't cook all the way through, I SWEAR I checked it with a toothpick but I guess not deep enough. Sigh. And no one liked it anyhow. (I mixed up two recipes while cooking, on two different tabs in my browser, so yeah.....). Baked beans and corn pie are always easy and a hit. Didn't make the asparagus as it had gone a bit off. 

Oh, but DD6 said "none of this is good". Sigh. I finally got her to eat some pulled pork after putting chik fil a sauce on it of all things. Oh well. On the other hand, DS10 had seconds, which he never does. Then didn't want any of it today as lunch. Figures. 

We didn't do the deviled eggs until today, so some kids had those for lunch. And I'm pretty sure DH ignored the veggies I left for him and had deviled eggs and ambrosia for lunch. 

So all in all, pretty well? Next year I'll make something different for dessert, and make sure to make the deviled eggs so that DD6 has something she likes. 

Also, can you tell I was out of ADHD meds, lol? Forgot to keep checking the pellets in the smoker, forgot to add an ingredient to the egg dish, and somehow accidentally switched recipes partway through the cake making! Thankfully my Vyvanse is back in stock and I can pick it up later today!

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 1

We had two dinners.

Saturday night, ham, using the free ham from the grocery store, scalloped potatoes, collard greens, spinach salad, cheesecake from Costco. It was all good. I'm glad I didn't use the little packet of glaze that came with the ham. It was just powdered stuff - mainly sugar but some orange flavoring - to be put in a pan with water and turned into glaze. I didn't like the look or smell of it, so I tasted it and, well, who here remembers TANG orange drink? Ugh. I pitched it. Also honestly I wasn't that thrilled with the ham simply because it was spiral sliced, which makes the leftovers too thick for good sandwiches in my opinion. I prefer just a ham. But for some reason the store brand "regular" ham was not free, just the spiral sliced, and I'm cheap so... today I'm making a quiche with some of it. 

Sunday we had roast lamb. I hadn't cooked lamb for some years, partly because of cost, and partly because the last time I bought lamb it was terrible, so tough and old-tasting my family said it must have been an old goat. Anyway, I kept hearing how great Costco's boneless leg of lamb is, so I bought one. I used this recipe from Serious Eats (https://www.seriouseats.com/slow-roasted-lamb-garlic-anchovy-lemon-rosemary-food-lab-recipe), though I cut the anchovy down to 1/2 of what's called for. I didn't trust that it wouldn't be too strong. The marinade smelled awful to me Saturday night, but I followed the rest of the instructions and it was so delicious. My husband and son were sighing over it.  I should have trusted Kenji, he always knows what he is talking about!  Oh, with that we had the rest of the scalloped potatoes, and some fresh sauteed green beans, seasoned just with salt and pepper because the lamb was highly seasoned. And some more cheesecake before the rest went into the freezer.

I liked the Costco cheesecake but I think the raves over it are overstated. Cheesecake is not super hard to make, other than the stress of being sure it's really cooked but not overcooked, and I am happy with the recipe my mother always used. But, I was lazy and doing too many other things. I'll need to make a cheesecake soon. 

But all in all, successful food happenings here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, freesia said:

I hope you feel better today. I  am loving all my leftovers!

Forget “all the leftovers “. Apparently in a hurry to set up dessert, I put the broccoli casserole and scalloped potatoes in the oven “out of the way.” Just remembered that. At least the turkey and pies are safe. Yikes!

• Sad 2

26 minutes ago, freesia said:

Forget “all the leftovers “. Apparently in a hurry to set up dessert, I put the broccoli casserole and scalloped potatoes in the oven “out of the way.” Just remembered that. At least the turkey and pies are safe. Yikes!

ugh - we've done that too.  So frustrating.  I set a timer when I put stuff somewhere as a reminder.  DH...not so much.  

• Like 1

On 4/7/2023 at 11:25 PM, ktgrok said:

Pulled pork (will smoke it all day tomorrow and reheat on Easter), baked beans, deviled eggs, corn “pie” which is fancy cornbread in a graham cracker crust, asparagus, and ambrosia. Dessert will be carrot cake with birthday candles as my birthday is on Easter this year! 

Happy Belated Birthday!

🎈🍰🎉

I hadn't looked at this thread because we were not sure what our plans were going to be until late Saturday afternoon, when I realized it would be DH, DS, and I for Easter dinner.  I had looked at the store the previous week and there were no large bone-in hams but I had not thoroughly looked.  When I went this Saturday and seriously I could only find a small sliced have that was a couple of pounds--that was fine because it would just be the three of us.  But there were a number of whole turkeys--and the bakery was full of pumpkin pies--not the dessert I would typically serve at Easter.  Were these all left over from Thanksgiving?  (We did end up with ham, fruit salad, green beans, rolls, a squash casserole, and I made cupcakes.)

• Like 2

On 4/7/2023 at 11:25 PM, ktgrok said:

Happy Birthday!   Mine is in a few days and I have had mine fall on Easter before.

• Like 2

We had breakfast together after Easter service. Everyone brought a breakfast casserole od some kind and I put out bacon and fruit and beverages. It went really well, much less stressful and left more time to take our kids to a few egg hunts.

• Like 3

My husband ended up making bacon wrapped filet-mignon. He sous-vide and then browned them. The sides were oven roasted sweet potatoes with honey, and stir fry mizuna with a tangerine vinaigrette. We were going to make mushrooms but totally forgot which was good because we have leftovers for tonight.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Happy Birthday!   Mine is in a few days and I have had mine fall on Easter before.

I've never had mine on Easter before! I told DH I'm going to be really disappointed when it isn't Easter next year on my birthday! I guess I will get it again though, in 2034. (he looked it up)

17 minutes ago, keirin said:

We had breakfast together after Easter service. Everyone brought a breakfast casserole od some kind and I put out bacon and fruit and beverages. It went really well, much less stressful and left more time to take our kids to a few egg hunts.

See, I should have just done that, rather than making stuff for breakfast AND a dinner! Plus, the church ended up having a bunch of food after the service - I knew they were serving a breakfast between the early sunrise service and the one we were going to, but just expected coffee and maybe some cookies/granola bars after the second service, as usual. But they had a bunch of leftover food from earlier so put it out again. The kids and DH filled up on stuff!

Edited by ktgrok

12 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I've never had mine on Easter before! I told DH I'm going to be really disappointed when it isn't Easter next year on my birthday! I guess I will get it again though, in 2034. (he looked it up)

Easter was on my birthday in 1979 and 1990.   It will be on my birthday again in 2063.   I will look forward to it! 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 2