Menu

Products that don't exist (yet), but should

Kanin

I recently discovered two of the things I had hoped would be created do, in fact, already exist:

a metal tube crimper (for getting out every last mL of expensive cream or paint) and

teeny tiny spatulas with a firm end for getting out every mL of shampoo or conditioner not in a tube

I have been cutting the ends off of my tubes for a while now after discovering how much product is left in tubes I thought were empty, but struggling to get every iota out of the tube. No more. 

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

When I look at old-fashioned Euro-style eiderdowns that are the exact size of the top of the mattress (no overhang), I cannot figure out how two people manage to stay warm. 

At least in Germany: each person has their own blanket. 
If you go to a hotel, there will be two blankets on a double bed. It's so much more comfortable than sharing a blanket with another person.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, lauraw4321 said:

Oh this is so timely. My DH hates sharing a blanket. But I want our bed to look nice. I bought matching two blankets for our kingside bed. They aren’t big enough. So now I think maybe we need matching queen blankets? I just want to have a solid color on the bed. Is that too much to ask?

For our king bed we each have our own twin size duvet. Solid colors. When made looks like one big duvet.

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 5

57 minutes ago, regentrude said:

A smoke detector that shuts off when I yell "just cooking!"

YES!!!! I've been saying this for years!!! My whole family comes running and I'm like, "I didn't burn it, there is supposed to be some char, you AND the smoke detector can go away now."

Really, how hard would it be to integrate one with an Alexa so I could shut it off for say, a 15 minute interval?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

YES!!!! I've been saying this for years!!! My whole family comes running and I'm like, "I didn't burn it, there is supposed to be some char, you AND the smoke detector can go away now."

Really, how hard would it be to integrate one with an Alexa so I could shut it off for say, a 15 minute interval?

I agree! Nothing terrifies my cat more than a smoke alarm that I can’t get to shut off. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kanin said:

Half-sizes for bedding. I could really use queen and a half size blankets because the regular queen size are just too small when there are two adults in the bed, but king size blankets are way too big. Half sizes please!

We do great with a king--plenty of coverage and extra, but we had a big problem with a queen. I suspect that they really size it for a double--most things say double/queen.

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I recently discovered two of the things I had hoped would be created do, in fact, already exist:

a metal tube crimper (for getting out every last mL of expensive cream or paint) and

teeny tiny spatulas with a firm end for getting out every mL of shampoo or conditioner not in a tube

I have been cutting the ends off of my tubes for a while now after discovering how much product is left in tubes I thought were empty, but struggling to get every iota out of the tube. No more. 

Ooh, link for the spatula, please?

41 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

At my house, if the smoke detector goes off during a time when I’m cooking, no one cares, except if they’re close, they might grab a towel and start flapping it to make it shut off. If there was an actual fire and they were in their bedrooms, the house would burn down with them in it, because the smoke detector had cried wolf too many times.

• Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Momof3sweetgirls said:

A toilet paper holder that attaches to the wall but can extend to where the kids can reach it. The tp stand we have keeps falling over.

Except if my kids use one attached to the wall, they will break it, leaving a hole in the wall.  Note that they have been banned from all towel holders attached to walls.  They can only use the over the door hooks.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, regentrude said:

At least in Germany: each person has their own blanket. 
If you go to a hotel, there will be two blankets on a double bed. It's so much more comfortable than sharing a blanket with another person.

But I LIKE stealing more than my fair share of covers 😬

4 hours ago, Momof3sweetgirls said:

A toilet paper holder that attaches to the wall but can extend to where the kids can reach it. The tp stand we have keeps falling over.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1359392321/extend-a-roll-extendable-wall-mount

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, regentrude said:

A smoke detector that shuts off when I yell "just cooking!"

Also a smoke detector that tells me precisely which one is out of batteries. The beeping doesn't help I need a better indicator.

5 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

And seals back up properly. Those "easy reseal" packages don't actually reseal.

Which is so weird because Ziplock bags exists, so we all know it's possible.

I also would like an automatic laundry folder and sorter. Well I suppose the Jetson maid will do. Why are robotics people trying to make robots jump?
They need to be focusing on how to make them clean the house which involves no jumping or dancing or running.

• Like 10

7 hours ago, kbutton said:

Ooh, link for the spatula, please?

https://www.amazon.com/Mini-Spatula-Silicone-Set-Cosmetics/dp/B09XDYPXMP/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?crid=39UEHPQ5SITPA&keywords=cosmetic+spatula&qid=1677034981&sprefix=cosmetic+spatula%2Caps%2C246&sr=8-5

This is what I have. Spatty Daddy is a very popular version of this product, but I went for a less expensive but adequate option.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dream controls.

• Records what was gonna happen in your dream but you woke up too soon.
  • Ability to go back to episode 2 or 16 or 344 of your favorite dream.
  • Choice of which good-looking famous guy(s) or which real-life crushes will be actors in your dream.
  • Allows you to switch from a sucky or repetitive dream to a better dream.
  • Turns the dreams on as soon as you are trying to fall asleep.
  • Automatic limits on nightmares ... maximum length, specific details you never want to see, or just turn on "no nighmares" mode.
  • Dreams end sensibly 5 minutes before it's time to wake up.
  • Like 5
  • Haha 5

13 hours ago, mindinggaps said:

Nest Protect. The smoke detector product everyone wants exists. We have them, they are great (but expensive).

Huh, do you have to tie it in with the home security and all that? I want to say that my DH, who is in cyber security hates Nest, but I'm not sure why. I may have to ask him to revisit Nest, or see if there is a similar product by someone else. Cause we are ALL annoyed by our super sensitive smoke detector! It's in the open area at the base of the stairs, between the kitchen and the family room and ANY tiny bit of smoke, even smoke I can't notice, sets it off. Then they ALL go off, all over the house. 

Add in that I think the burner on my stove is getting wonky and not regulating properly, and yeah...I've set it off twice in the past two weeks just searing meat on the stove!

I have the tiny spatulas and I love them for lotions and makeup. I *just* cut open a lotion from Bath & Bodywork’s and scooped an astounding amount of additional lotion out of it. I put it in a jam jar and I use the spatula to mete some out every day. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Huh, do you have to tie it in with the home security and all that? I want to say that my DH, who is in cyber security hates Nest, but I'm not sure why. I may have to ask him to revisit Nest, or see if there is a similar product by someone else. Cause we are ALL annoyed by our super sensitive smoke detector! It's in the open area at the base of the stairs, between the kitchen and the family room and ANY tiny bit of smoke, even smoke I can't notice, sets it off. Then they ALL go off, all over the house. 

Add in that I think the burner on my stove is getting wonky and not regulating properly, and yeah...I've set it off twice in the past two weeks just searing meat on the stove!

You don't need to link it in with home security at all. It does use the same app as their cameras and other products but you don't need to use them as a suite. It's possible to just have the Nest fire alarms and that's all you'll see on the app.

Before the alarm goes off, it gives you a voice warning and sends an alert to your phone. You have the opportunity to silence all the alarms in your house before they start beeping. Further, whenever the alarm does go off, you can silence it provided you are home - if the smoke does not increase in intensity, it won't go off again. It will also alert you when the battery is low via the app. Honestly, they are great products and I would highly recommend. I suppose there are always some security concerns with the smart home products, but Nest is fairly state of the art and I think the risk of someone hacking your fire alarm is basically zero. For me, they are an example of something which just works well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ktgrok said:

I want to say that my DH, who is in cyber security hates Nest, but I'm not sure why. I may have to ask him to revisit Nest, or see if there is a similar product by someone else.

Nest is also a no go at our house. I would need to a product that just ties into our own homemade smart house system. 

1 hour ago, Clarita said:

Nest is also a no go at our house. I would need to a product that just ties into our own homemade smart house system. 

I'm honestly not too worried about a smoke alarm - what's it going to do, record our conversations and send the data to Google to sell us products? Our smartphones already do this. A risk I am willing to take to not have the smoke alarm go off every time I cook something.

Edited by mindinggaps

Our son recently installed a Nest thermostat for us. Life changing. I will definitely consider getting Nest smoke alarms. I would love the ability to have more sensible control of those things that sometimes seem to have a mind of their own. The Nest ones get good reviews. They also detect carbon monoxide. 

• Like 2