Menu

Bivalent vaccine?

sangtarah

6 hours ago, maize said:

Those who have received it already, please report back in a few days on how your body responded. I'm curious to know how it will be compared to earlier doses.

Husband had it and flu jab, one in each arm. Both arms were quite sore and he slept badly for two nights. He was very tired for 48 hours but is fine now. No fever. His tally is AZ, AZ, Pfizer,  Moderna.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Innisfree said:

So, decision time here. I’ve had Moderna for each previous shot. I’d kinda like to get Moderna again, because of the greater volume and hopefully better efficacy, but maybe it would be better to switch to Pfizer at this point. Anyone else trying to think this through?

Yes, I'm trying to decide. Our local pharmacies expect it in next week and won't schedule appointments until it's on hand so I have a bit of time. I had Moderna all the way including boosters. They wouldn't let me switch. This time you can choose. I'm wondering if I should get Pfizer or stick with Moderna. I'm not seeing answers on any reputable sites and the pharmacist I spoke to just said it's up to me. She probably didn't know much more about this than a layperson does. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Yes, I'm trying to decide. Our local pharmacies expect it in next week and won't schedule appointments until it's on hand so I have a bit of time. I had Moderna all the way including boosters. They wouldn't let me switch. This time you can choose. I'm wondering if I should get Pfizer or stick with Moderna. I'm not seeing answers on any reputable sites and the pharmacist I spoke to just said it's up to me. She probably didn't know much more about this than a layperson does. 

Me too.  I hate trying to figure out what the best thing is to do on my own.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

They stopped running public vax sites here except for special events over a year ago. Even by the time 12-16 was eligible at all, you mostly had to go through a pharmacy or doctor’s office. Certainly for boosters you did. Now, some of the pharmacies may do a separate window/place for vaccine appointments vs just picking up prescriptions. Walmart does that here during flu shot season.

We still have a huge bus that parks at the local park every weekend and offers testing/vaccines. It’s at other places in different days, but I walk by it on Saturdays. 

2 hours ago, She Travels said:

No. I prefer to continue to let my own immune system do its job unhindered. I’ve had Covid twice, and it hasn’t been a big deal either time. I live in a world where most of my friends are unvaccinated and we watch with wonder as people tout the vaccines even after having Covid. 

I’ve been wanting to visit people who live in that world but I have to wait a little bit longer. It’s too soon and I have a vulnerable son to protect. So far we’ve avoided catching it. My plan it to kick the can as far down the road as possible. I’ve dodged the flu for over 20 years so fingers crossed we can avoid Covid. 

As for moderna booster symptoms, I had none for about 24 hours. Then my arm was sore and I was tired the next evening. Everything was gone by morning. I intentionally got my shot before a work day so I wouldn’t waste a day off. 😄 I only work two days a week and it’s the most I sit all week. 

My boss is 65 and he got the booster, flu shot, and shingles vaccine all at once. He was a little tired that evening. His appointment was for a 2nd hep booster but he just swerved when he got there. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Innisfree said:

So, decision time here. I’ve had Moderna for each previous shot. I’d kinda like to get Moderna again, because of the greater volume and hopefully better efficacy, but maybe it would be better to switch to Pfizer at this point. Anyone else trying to think this through?

I’m in the same boat. There doesn’t seem to be anything to base the choice on at this time. I’m thinking I might go Pfizer to switch things up. But it also could come down to whichever I can get first. 

2 hours ago, She Travels said:

No. I prefer to continue to let my own immune system do its job unhindered. I’ve had Covid twice, and it hasn’t been a big deal either time. I live in a world where most of my friends are unvaccinated and we watch with wonder as people tout the vaccines even after having Covid. 

That’s great for you that it’s been no big deal. It comes across as insensitive about the millions who have died from Covid and the millions more still suffering with long Covid though. Clearly it’s been a very, very big deal for millions of people. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 9

4 hours ago, She Travels said:

You should ask those people why they still tout the vaccines; it might have to do with the death rate for the unvaccinated still being 6x as high as for the fully vaccinated even as protection against transmission has waned with the new variants. Anyway, my preference for not dying or being hospitalized is one of the big reasons I'm vaccinated, so wonder no more about me at least! 

Edited by kokotg
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 8

5 hours ago, She Travels said:

In an ideal world, I think this attitude would be fine and I'd certainly have no problems with it.  (I get it to an extent... )  BUT, this isn't an ideal world.  Vaccines work, but Covid keeps changing.  (It actually has more opportunity to change whenever someone gets it -- and that happens more often with the unvaccinated, unfortunately.)  When it changes, then the vaccine needs to change to keep up.  I've never worried about getting Covid myself.  Actually, I did have it last month, and it felt lousy like the flu for three days and then I was done.

So I don't really get the vaccine for myself.  I get the vaccine for other people who wouldn't be able to handle it as well.  For example, my dh has two different types of cancer and multiple other health issues.  I get it for him.  My father, one of my best friends, is 94 years old with congestive heart failure.  I get it for him.  My mother is 94 and is in long term care.  I get it for her.  Another good friend has no immunity against Covid, even when she has the vaccine, because of her blood cancer.  I get it for her.

I get it for my dd who is healthy and would probably manage Covid just fine, but she works in a hospital setting with people who have brain cancer.  So if she gets Covid, she can't work until she tests negative or for 10 days, and she already used up her 5 personal days for doctor appointments and a surgery for endometriosis.  So she would likely have to stay home for two weeks without any pay.  So I get the vaccine for her too.  

And I get it for all the people who I randomly sit next to or stand next to in line who might have the same circumstances as any of those examples, or who might pass it on to people like that in their lives.

If I can offer some protection for all of those people, why wouldn't I?

• Like 12
  • Thanks 15

4 minutes ago, J-rap said:

In an ideal world, I think this attitude would be fine and I'd certainly have no problems with it.  (I get it to an extent... )  BUT, this isn't an ideal world.  Vaccines work, but Covid keeps changing.  (It actually has more opportunity to change whenever someone gets it -- and that happens more often with the unvaccinated, unfortunately.)  When it changes, then the vaccine needs to change to keep up.  I've never worried about getting Covid myself.  Actually, I did have it last month, and it felt lousy like the flu for three days and then I was done.

So I don't really get the vaccine for myself.  I get the vaccine for other people who wouldn't be able to handle it as well.  For example, my dh has two different types of cancer and multiple other health issues.  I get it for him.  My father, one of my best friends, is 94 years old with congestive heart failure.  I get it for him.  My mother is 94 and is in long term care.  I get it for her.  Another good friend has no immunity against Covid, even when she has the vaccine, because of her blood cancer.  I get it for her.

I get it for my dd who is healthy and would probably manage Covid just fine, but she works in a hospital setting with people who have brain cancer.  So if she gets Covid, she can't work until she tests negative or for 10 days, and she already used up her 5 personal days for doctor appointments and a surgery for endometriosis.  So she would likely have to stay home for two weeks without any pay.  So I get the vaccine for her too.  

And I get it for all the people who I randomly sit next to or stand next to in line who might have the same circumstances as any of those examples, or who might pass it on to people like that in their lives.

If I can offer some protection for all of those people, why wouldn't I?

Good for you. Same here. And my ideology is the same with wearing a mask.  
no skin off my nose to help others. 

I wish more people thought like you. 

Having over one million people killed by Covid in the USA alone (most of whom were unvaccinated) is pretty compelling evidence that relying one's own immune system instead of taking advantage of a safe and effective vaccine is a stupendously bad strategy.

Bad for individuals. And bad for society at large.

Doesn't pass a critical thinking test.

Bill

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

My immune system has this annoying tendency to attack parts of my body I kind of need when it gets upset. I'd rather get COVID boosters, flu shots, pneumonia shots, etc vs losing what is left of my pancreas.

I also have a 16 yr old bonus kid who has had dysautonomia and POTS show up since having COVID last fall, and is moving towards an epilepsy DX as well. Either she's just had a really bad run of bad luck...or COVID really did a number on her. She's quite annoyed at her dad, who refused to give permission for the kids to be vaccinated against COVID when it was finally available for her age group because "I had COVID, and I'm fine. 

• Sad 12

6 hours ago, She Travels said:

As a child my immune system dealt with measles, mumps, rubella and chicken pox unhindered, sans vax. But my own kids have been vaccinated for all of those because I know my individual experience doesn't translate well to large scale.

For that matter, some people have polio without any symptoms or repercussions.  I have two relatives who have dealt with post-polio syndrome for decades, find it very sucky, and are very pro polio vax. It's not a game of chance a lot of us care to play.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 5

8 hours ago, GailV said:

For that matter, some people have polio without any symptoms or repercussions.  I have two relatives who have dealt with post-polio syndrome for decades, find it very sucky, and are very pro polio vax. It's not a game of chance a lot of us care to play.

Polio is an excellent analogy in this case. Polio is much, much milder for most people than even Covid—95-99% of people don’t have any symptoms. Only 1% of people with polio develop paralytic polio and only some of those progress to permanent paralysis. 5-10% of that 1% with paralytic polio will die from it. Based on stats, polio overall is a milder illness for most people. But of course, we know that it’s a horrific illness and parents were exceedingly eager to protect their children, on a vaccine came out. And then, as @GailV indicates, some people survived polio only to get post polio syndrome decades down the road. Covid is so new that we have no idea if some of the people who found Covid to be “no big deal” will later deal with a post Covid syndrome we are as yet unaware of. 

PPS affects between 25 and 40 out of every 100 polio survivors. Starting about 15 to 40 years after the initial infection

This is one of the things that makes me continue to protect my kids from Covid as best I can, because while I am not concerned my vaccinated kids will not recover from Covid, I am concerned about long Covid or potential long term effects of Covid, given the effect it has on so many body systems  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, KSera said:

Polio is an excellent analogy in this case. Polio is much, much milder for most people than even Covid—95-99% of people don’t have any symptoms. Only 1% of people with polio develop paralytic polio and only some of those progress to permanent paralysis. 5-10% of that 1% with paralytic polio will die from it. Based on stats, polio overall is a milder illness for most people. But of course, we know that it’s a horrific illness and parents were exceedingly eager to protect their children, on a vaccine came out. And then, as @GailV indicates, some people survived polio only to get post polio syndrome decades down the road. Covid is so new that we have no idea if some of the people who found Covid to be “no big deal” will later deal with a post Covid syndrome we are as yet unaware of. 

PPS affects between 25 and 40 out of every 100 polio survivors. Starting about 15 to 40 years after the initial infection

This is one of the things that makes me continue to protect my kids from Covid as best I can, because while I am not concerned my vaccinated kids will not recover from Covid, I am concerned about long Covid or potential long term effects of Covid, given the effect it has on so many body systems  

Yes. We have very little idea what the post-covid future holds in store for us and, more importantly, for our children. People must be discounting the future quite a lot to drop basic precautions like masks and vaccines right now. I will be surprised if we don't end up finding substantial amount of damage that we can simply not visualize and measure right now, but that population wide long term studies will reveal.

• Like 11

I am over 24 hours out from my booster and feel fine except for a slightly itchy,  red patch on my arm, a little below the injection site. It feels a bit sore, like I was punched in the arm. 

I didn't have the itchy, red patch with prior doses, but I was also significantly heavier with prior doses. Maybe prior doses went mostly into fat and this one went mostly into muscle? 🤷

• Like 2

On 9/9/2022 at 8:52 PM, Longtime Lurker said:

Just got the Moderna bivalent booster a few hours ago at our local pharmacy. I did not have to make an appointment and only had to wait 10 minutes. This is my first Moderna after three Pfizers (Jan/Feb 2021 and late Sept 2021). I also had covid starting on May 1, 2022. I work in a school so I wanted to get it sooner rather than later. I will be interested to see if side effects are different than Pfizer for me.

I am now more than 36 hours out and I only have a sore arm. Yesterday I had a mild headache (similar to the one I had after my second Pfizer only much milder) and mild body aches. No big deal.

• Like 6

I am now 18 hours after my new booster and flu shot.  Arm is slightly sore and slight headache but nothing that would keep me from my normal activities, work, etc.

i am going to lay pretty low today other than a walk with friends….just because yesterday was hard with my friend passing away and I can take the day to relax and putter…..so I will.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

So was going to get it soon, but if they are now saying boosters will be only annual, thinking I should wait longer before getting it. I had mild Covid in June, so might make more sense to wait longer, maybe 6 months post infection, so December? 

I'm with you here.  I can go get another booster, but if they wane, I am wondering if I should wait in case we have another bad winter? 

My last one was in December. As far as I know, I have never had Covid.  I do mask, though I have a cold now from my visiting nieces when I of course didn't mask.  I test everytime I feel bad, but my free tests are running out.  We live nextdoor to my in-laws, who would be higher risk, so I just want to make sure I am not spreading a bad disease.

My dad got both COVID and flu shots yesterday afternoon and woke up this morning upset that she has a headache and sore arm.  She took some Tylenol and went back to bed and woke up this afternoon feeling much better.   

It is now 24 hours later and I still have a slight headache and sore arm but nothing to prevent me from living life.  I am tired as well but it is a cool rainy day here so puttering and reading fits the bill.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ting Tang said:

I'm with you here.  I can go get another booster, but if they wane, I am wondering if I should wait in case we have another bad winter? 

My last one was in December. As far as I know, I have never had Covid.  I do mask, though I have a cold now from my visiting nieces when I of course didn't mask.  I test everytime I feel bad, but my free tests are running out.  We live nextdoor to my in-laws, who would be higher risk, so I just want to make sure I am not spreading a bad disease.

Are you in USA? If so, and have insurance, they are required to cover 8 tests per person per year. My insurance has a way to order them right online on their website, or Walgreens has a way to order them for pick up. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ktgrok said:

So was going to get it soon, but if they are now saying boosters will be only annual, thinking I should wait longer before getting it. I had mild Covid in June, so might make more sense to wait longer, maybe 6 months post infection, so December? 

Tbh, I am thinking of just getting another one if the winter gets bad - right now we have a b5 booster during a b5 wave, wastewater here is already going back up. Here is a substack that includes timing considerations (someone probably as already linked this on welltrained mind lol). https://yourlocalepidemiologist.substack.com/p/considerations-for-your-fall-booster

I have gotten two flu shots before a few years ago - one on insurance in the fall and one I bought before travel to Europe in March when flu season happened to be peaking and my shot had likely waned. I don't see why they'd be more difficult about covid shots than flu shots, especially when we are willing to pay? Plus - IMO they are saying it will be annual right now in order to get people to be willing to get yet another shot. They told us last year they thought we might be done after 3 shots - now some will be getting their 5th or 6th (if immune compromised). I believe absolutely nothing that this administration puts out. Jha claiming that it is his "hope" that treatments and vaccines will be commercialized...I am sure he knows very well that it is a huge failure of the administration that they weren't able to renew funding. In the case of how often we'll need shots, they should just say that we don't know, that the science is evolving. Be honest for once.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

Thank you -- I didn't know that! This is great news! Like @ktgrok, I thought it was 8 for the whole year. 

Walgreens makes it super easy. Put in your info and insurance, and they check and see how many insurance will cover and bill them just like with a RX. 

No-Cost COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Home Tests | Walgreens

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Walgreens makes it super easy. Put in your info and insurance, and they check and see how many insurance will cover and bill them just like with a RX. 

We found out about it when Walmart pharmacy asked my dh if he wanted some Covid tests, because he was renewing other prescriptions anyway, so the pharmacist figured he would add the tests in with the order. 🙂 

• Like 3

On 9/11/2022 at 1:44 AM, Mom_to3 said:

Yes. We have very little idea what the post-covid future holds in store for us and, more importantly, for our children. People must be discounting the future quite a lot to drop basic precautions like masks and vaccines right now. I will be surprised if we don't end up finding substantial amount of damage that we can simply not visualize and measure right now, but that population wide long term studies will reveal.

You mean like discovering that up to 25% of those infected with Covid end up with long term brain injury? Or that even mild cases of Covid can cause brain tissue damage, including brain shrinkage (significant enough to be seen on comparative MRIs) that is equivalent to one year of aging?

And that's only what we know now....we really don't know the long-term impacts of this virus, especially with repeated infections (is that 'one year of aging' *per* infection???....we don't know).

You'll never convince the nay-sayers, but, in our household, we vaccinate and avoid crowds (still - especially indoor ones) and mask where we feel it's necessary. We can't entirely avoid Covid, but reducing our risk will help to ensure we maintain our health - and our brains - through all of this.

Edited by Happy2BaMom
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 5

My husband and I and the two kids at home got the bivalent (Pfizer) vaccine and the flu shots yesterday.  

Yesterday everyone but me whined about sore arms.  Last night I had the worst night of sleep in months.  Today I am so so sore and achy.  The kids says they their arms are sore and my husband feels great (he finally slept well after a much jet lag).

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

my husband feels great (he finally slept well after a much jet lag).

Anecdotally, most of the men in my family have sailed through their shots with very little reaction. I wonder if that’s actually some thing that holds up in the statistics due to women’s immune systems tending to be more reactive, or if it’s just an anomaly in my family.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Mom_to3 said:

Tbh, I am thinking of just getting another one if the winter gets bad - right now we have a b5 booster during a b5 wave, wastewater here is already going back up. Here is a substack that includes timing considerations (someone probably as already linked this on welltrained mind lol). https://yourlocalepidemiologist.substack.com/p/considerations-for-your-fall-booster

I have gotten two flu shots before a few years ago - one on insurance in the fall and one I bought before travel to Europe in March when flu season happened to be peaking and my shot had likely waned. I don't see why they'd be more difficult about covid shots than flu shots, especially when we are willing to pay? Plus - IMO they are saying it will be annual right now in order to get people to be willing to get yet another shot. They told us last year they thought we might be done after 3 shots - now some will be getting their 5th or 6th (if immune compromised). I believe absolutely nothing that this administration puts out. Jha claiming that it is his "hope" that treatments and vaccines will be commercialized...I am sure he knows very well that it is a huge failure of the administration that they weren't able to renew funding. In the case of how often we'll need shots, they should just say that we don't know, that the science is evolving. Be honest for once.

Thanks for the thought of the possibility of 2 shots.  I never thought of that. 

My son and I will both get it in the beginning of October as we have a wedding to attend on the 21st or 28th of October, I forgot which Friday.  Dh has decided to skip it. I had Covid in June, and while it was mild it did stir up my autoimmune conditions and leave me out of breath while exercising for quite a long time, so I'd rather be safe and keep Covid mild. We've all had the initial 3 rounds and suspect at least a few in the household had asymptomatic Covid before I was sick. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dsmith said:

My son and I will both get it in the beginning of October as we have a wedding to attend on the 21st or 28th of October

My teen and I are getting it at the beginning of October for the same reason.  We have a wedding to attend on October 22nd.   It is one that I have huge concerns about attending, no one has been covid cautious at all (not even in the beginning).  They are vaccinated but I am not sure if they are up to date on them.  None of them mask and there will possibly be a sit-down dinner (the whole wedding is a bit of a hot mess and I have no clear info on the meal situation).     Teen and I will be masked throughout, and we will not be eating.    This will be my 5th vaccine and teen's 4th and we are looking forward to getting them!   Flu shots will be done at our physicals this month and next month.    

• Like 1

5 hours ago, happi duck said:

I always forget to get a flu shot.  Sounds like now is a good time?

I always get mine at my physical in late September.  While it is a bit early to get it, I will forget if I don't get it then, and better a little early than not at all.  

• Like 1

On 9/11/2022 at 10:35 PM, mommyoffive said:

Also super easy at CVS. They always have them ready for us to pick up at the front and we've never been charged anything even though we have less than stellar insurance.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, MercyA said:

18 hours out and DD had insomnia, achiness, and a very sore arm during the night. 

First day of co-op today so prayers would be appreciated for her! (And me, teaching art to a bunch of little kids!) 🙂

Praying for a good first day for both of you! 

• Thanks 1