Menu

Want to see DD’s ultrasound ????

Ann.without.an.e

3 minutes ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

awww, congrats!  Is this the newly married DD or the older one?

The older one with pcos and didn’t know if she could have a baby 😅

Younger dd wants to wait at least 5 years for kiddos and I support that idea 😂

Edited by Ann.without.an.e
  • Like 9

29 minutes ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

She joked earlier that I’m moving into the guest room if there was more than one so 😅 I don’t know how DH will feel about that? Lol

My mom did stay with me for 6 months at a time on B visa to help out and my teens are a year apart. I don’t know what car your daughter and son-in-law have but we had a fun time buying a car that can take a double jogger/stroller. We have a side by side jogger as well as a front and back stroller. We tried out many sedans, SUVs and minivans. Ended up buying the Toyota Corolla as it is the most affordable car that can accommodate the strollers as well as three adults and two carseats. Buying a Sienna or Odyssey would be too much debt at that time. My mom did lose 10kg/22lbs helping out. Her typical weight was around 56kg and her weight went down to around 46kg every time she came over to help.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

My mom did stay with me for 6 months at a time on B visa to help out and my teens are a year apart. I don’t know what car your daughter and son-in-law have but we had a fun time buying a car that can take a double jogger/stroller. We have a side by side jogger as well as a front and back stroller. We tried out many sedans, SUVs and minivans. Ended up buying the Toyota Corolla as it is the most affordable car that can accommodate the strollers as well as three adults and two carseats. Buying a Sienna or Odyssey would be too much debt at that time. My mom did lose 10kg/22lbs helping out. Her typical weight was around 56kg and her weight went down to around 46kg every time she came over to help.

Thankful she has a Honda Pilot so I think she’ll be ok with car room 😊

• Like 2

Obviously she's thrilled to be pregnant if she thought she might not be able to get pregnant and was trying... but is she thrilled with having twins? I'm just going to confess... they do run in my family and I still spent about a month in absolute tears and anger about it.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Farrar said:

Obviously she's thrilled to be pregnant if she thought she might not be able to get pregnant and was trying... but is she thrilled with having twins? I'm just going to confess... they do run in my family and I still spent about a month in absolute tears and anger about it.

She's happy. A little overwhelmed but happy. Some good friends of theirs have identical twin girls who are around 10 months old.

Interesting enough, she was a bio major at Duke and loves genetics and has always been so interested in the genetics vs personality differences of identical twins lol. 

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

She's happy. A little overwhelmed but happy. Some good friends of theirs have identical twin girls who are around 10 months old.

Interesting enough, she was a bio major at Duke and loves genetics and has always been so interested in the genetics vs personality differences of identical twins lol. 

Oh boy. I don't even have a background in genetics and I have to restrain myself from experimenting on mine, lol. 

I'm glad she's happy! It's more than twice the work the first year or so. But then after that, it's way easier than having two of different ages. I'm convinced. Nothing matches how insane that first few months with multiples is. But when I looked at the protracted struggle of having a toddler and a newborn, then a toddler and a preschooler, then a preschooler and a school kid, always with ever so slightly competing needs... Oh my gosh. SO much easier to have a perfect little identical duo.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Bnogo24 said:

Congrats! My twins  just turned 15! 

3 hours ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

Nature vs. nurture is fascinating!    

3 hours ago, Farrar said:

it's way easier than having two of different ages. I'm convinced. Nothing matches how insane that first few months with multiples is. But when I looked at the protracted struggle of having a toddler and a newborn, then a toddler and a preschooler, then a preschooler and a school kid, always with ever so slightly competing needs... Oh my gosh. SO much easier to have a perfect little identical duo.

I've always felt the same way with mine - as challenging as it was having twins, it just seemed easier than having two different ages.  My twins are in the middle - oldest is 3 1/2 years older and youngest is 8 years younger.  Those first few months with twin newborns and a preschooler were so hard but raising twins was really a joy (definitely with unique challenges, though) and I feel so lucky that I had that experience.  

They turned 28 yesterday.  🙂  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Farrar said:

Oh boy. I don't even have a background in genetics and I have to restrain myself from experimenting on mine, lol. 

I'm glad she's happy! It's more than twice the work the first year or so. But then after that, it's way easier than having two of different ages. I'm convinced. Nothing matches how insane that first few months with multiples is. But when I looked at the protracted struggle of having a toddler and a newborn, then a toddler and a preschooler, then a preschooler and a school kid, always with ever so slightly competing needs... Oh my gosh. SO much easier to have a perfect little identical duo.

6 hours ago, Kassia said:

Nature vs. nurture is fascinating!    

I've always felt the same way with mine - as challenging as it was having twins, it just seemed easier than having two different ages.  My twins are in the middle - oldest is 3 1/2 years older and youngest is 8 years younger.  Those first few months with twin newborns and a preschooler were so hard but raising twins was really a joy (definitely with unique challenges, though) and I feel so lucky that I had that experience.  

They turned 28 yesterday.  🙂  

8 hours ago, Bnogo24 said:

Congrats! My twins  just turned 15! 

To be fair, she knows I’ll help a lot. She says she would be a total stress ball if she thought she had to do it alone. We live 4 miles apart. We have a very close relationship and of course I’ll help her a lot.  I’m sure the first year will be crazy. SIL’s mom lives 3.5 hours away and works a lot so she won’t be able to help as much. 
We were just talking yesterday about how she needs to look into tandem breastfeeding. She was asking about pumping and I was explaining how tandem might be her life saver. Did any of y’all have success with this? 

ETA: Nature vs Nurture is fascinating. She’s completely fascinated by it herself. She said of course she’d never do it but deep down she’d love to know the end result of them being raised in two different homes lol. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

We were just talking yesterday about how she needs to look into tandem breastfeeding. She was asking about pumping and I was explaining how tandem might be her life saver. Did any of y’all have success with this? 

ETA: Nature vs Nurture is fascinating. She’s completely fascinated by it herself. She said of course she’d never do it but deep down she’d love to know the end result of them being raised in two different homes lol. 

I ONLY ever fed my two together after the first couple of weeks when my milk was still coming in. I exclusively breastfed. It took a bit of a setup - basically one of those donut pillows but with even more pillows on each side, especially as they got bigger. It's very much doable. Many of the other twin mamas I know also fed two at once. Unless you have another person with you all the time or babies who are just really good sleepers who naturally take turns (lol) I think it would be much harder not to do this. I felt like I was just pinned to the sofa half of that first six months, honestly. I remember we took all the TV shows off the Tivo right before they were born because it was like, we won't be able to watch any TV for awhile! Lol. We had to add them all back and then some. And I had to get books and magazines. I mean, I was exhausted... but I had the TV on really quiet and was just breastfeeding like a huge portion of the time.

As for experiments... they'll end up running one you don't expect. I have the ballet and the control. The ballet changed his body forever through ballet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

To be fair, she knows I’ll help a lot. She says she would be a total stress ball if she thought she had to do it alone. We live 4 miles apart. We have a very close relationship and of course I’ll help her a lot.  I’m sure the first year will be crazy. SIL’s mom lives 3.5 hours away and works a lot so she won’t be able to help as much. 

45 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I ONLY ever fed my two together after the first couple of weeks when my milk was still coming in. I exclusively breastfed. It took a bit of a setup - basically one of those donut pillows but with even more pillows on each side, especially as they got bigger. It's very much doable. Many of the other twin mamas I know also fed two at once. Unless you have another person with you all the time or babies who are just really good sleepers who naturally take turns (lol) I think it would be much harder not to do this. I felt like I was just pinned to the sofa half of that first six months, honestly. I remember we took all the TV shows off the Tivo right before they were born because it was like, we won't be able to watch any TV for awhile! Lol. We had to add them all back and then some. And I had to get books and magazines. I mean, I was exhausted... but I had the TV on really quiet and was just breastfeeding like a huge portion of the time.

As for experiments... they'll end up running one you don't expect. I have the ballet and the control. The ballet changed his body forever through ballet.

I breastfed mine for 18 months and used the U-shaped pillow all the time.  It was a lifesaver for me.  Mine didn't always nurse at the same time but I definitely preferred that.  And, like @Farrar , I felt pinned to the sofa those first few months.  Always nursing and trying to keep my milk up.  I didn't have help and it was hard with two newborn infants and a preschooler.  No sleep and constant nursing - it was definitely exhausting but I think it had to be easier than having to prepare bottles (I've never done that so I don't know how much is involved but it seems like a lot of work with two).  When my twins were born there was no internet and I had no idea what I was doing and no support.  

@Ann.without.an.e your dd is so lucky that you'll be there to help.  ❤️  

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did tandem nursing with no issues.  One of my twins took bottles in the hospital, one nursed from birth.  They both did well with nursing.  

They were both over 6 pounds when they were born and I would say we had a faster start than a lot of other people whose babies weigh less.  It just worked out that way.

I truly had an easier time with my twins than my older son, as babies.  I have been thinking about this, and first, I broke my tailbone during the delivery with my older son.  That just complicated the whole young-baby time.  Second, I was an experienced mom.  Third, my twins had easier baby temperaments than my older son.  

But I also had my older son and I think that helped me a lot, because I had social things through him and he could bring me things while I was nursing and things like that.  It was also just more fun to have him around.  I think I was more isolated when he was a baby even though I went on walks with another new mom almost every day, went to La Leche League, etc.  I think it was a hard adjustment for me and he cried a lot more than my twins did.  They were both easily comforted.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lecka said:

I did tandem nursing with no issues.  One of my twins took bottles in the hospital, one nursed from birth.  They both did well with nursing.  

They were both over 6 pounds when they were born and I would say we had a faster start than a lot of other people whose babies weigh less.  It just worked out that way.

I truly had an easier time with my twins than my older son, as babies.  I have been thinking about this, and first, I broke my tailbone during the delivery with my older son.  That just complicated the whole young-baby time.  Second, I was an experienced mom.  Third, my twins had easier baby temperaments than my older son.  

But I also had my older son and I think that helped me a lot, because I had social things through him and he could bring me things while I was nursing and things like that.  It was also just more fun to have him around.  I think I was more isolated when he was a baby even though I went on walks with another new mom almost every day, went to La Leche League, etc.  I think it was a hard adjustment for me and he cried a lot more than my twins did.  They were both easily comforted.  

Wow, the tailbone sounds painful and with your first kiddo 😭

I had a hard pregnancy with my twins, but then I felt amazing after they were born.  I had a ton of energy, after feeling extremely depleted of energy when I was pregnant.  It was a lot better than having a broken tailbone.

I carried to 37 1/2 weeks with my twins and I feel like I talk to more people who carried to 32 weeks, there twins weighed 4 pounds, and they had a very hard newborn period.  I was miserable but pregnant, and then mine were easier and less fragile when they were born.  

I feel like compared to other women I have talked to, I had a harder pregnancy (or I might just have disliked it more) and then my newborn period was better.  My memories of things being hard are from my pregnancy, by far.  

I had way better support with my twins, too.  My older son was in morning pre-school and we met up with people from his pre-school almost every afternoon and another parent would hold one of my babies. 

• Like 2

I should mention that her biggest concern is how big she’ll get. She’s small, 5 foot and wears a kid’s size 3 shoe and kid’s gloves.  

How bad was it for y’all? 

@Farrar and @Kassiaand @Lecka @Bnogo24 @BusyMom5@mlktwins

• Like 1

I am 5’3 and have a medium-large build.  I was huge, I looked 2-3 months more pregnant than I was at every step.  But, it was my second pregnancy.  

I looked as pregnant as I looked with my first child, at 5 months.  I ran into people who couldn’t believe I hadn’t given birth yet who didn’t know I was having twins.  I went into maternity pants before my 12-week appointment.

I went to 37 1/2 weeks, they weighed 6 pounds 1 ounce and 6 pounds 5 ounces, and they commented that my placentas were particularly large and healthy.  I have fraternal twins.  

• Like 2