barnwife

Do you drive barefoot?  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Do you drive barefoot?

• Yes, always.
    • Yes, sometimes.
    • No, never.
    • I don't drive.

Both my podiatrist and physical therapist are anti bare feet but this 57 yo dog is too old to learn new tricks. Truly the only time I was required to wear shoes as a child was for school and church. It never occurred to me to be horrified over bare feet in stores. It was just the way it was. I did have plenty of stickers, splinters and even bee stingers to pull out but they were just a fact of life; plus, my parents made us bathe before bed.

• Like 1

I love wearing shoes. The only time I’m not wearing shoes is in the shower and in bed. I have house shoes that I wear in the house that are for in the house only so that I’m not bringing dirt from outside shoes in. I change into outside shoes before I go out.

My dh has broken too many toes going barefoot and I just don’t understand why he continues to be barefoot with all those broken toes. 

I don’t like the sensation of being barefoot. Every little bit of dirt or fuzz on the floor sticks to my feet and if my feet are sweaty, I’m getting that sweat all over the carpet. Yuck.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Both my podiatrist and physical therapist are anti bare feet ....

That's interesting, because I've read that bare feet are healthy and developmentally better than wearing shoes (assuming appropriate for weather etc.).  We take in so much information through the soles of our feet.  I was thinking it might even help aging people slow mental and physical decline.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I always imagine having to escape a car quickly after an accident. Shoes seem like important safety kit.

You’re not wrong. 
In a minor accident, I can grab my loosey goosey footwear from the passenger seat. (Well, the right one. I don’t kick off my left shoe.) In a major accident, first responders are collaring and lifting me. 

Im not saying it isn’t a legitimate concern. But so is a loose dog flying into your head or a passenger’s phone getting shoved in their face by an airbag. We all make weird choices. 

6 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I always imagine having to escape a car quickly after an accident. Shoes seem like important safety kit.

I keep my shoes to the left of my feet when I drive.  I put them on when I leave the car.  🙂 

If in an emergency requiring such a fast exit that I couldn't grab my shoes, I guess I'd take my chances.  If in water, I was taught barefoot is better.  Other than being submerged in water, I think I'd have enough time to slip my shoes on.  So far so good.  🙂

8 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

You’re not wrong. 
In a minor accident, I can grab my loosey goosey footwear from the passenger seat. (Well, the right one. I don’t kick off my left shoe.) In a major accident, first responders are collaring and lifting me. 

Im not saying it isn’t a legitimate concern. But so is a loose dog flying into your head or a passenger’s phone getting shoved in their face by an airbag. We all make weird choices. 

This is why my dog is harnessed and buckled in the car. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MercyA said:

I can see how it might feel really nice in a sensory way to be barefoot much of the time, but those of you who go barefoot inside and out, don't your feet get dirty? I feel like mine get dirty even if I'm wearing some kinds of open sandals. 

Yes.

Dirty is the natural state of feet. As every other animal on the planet knows and accepts.

What I don't get ever is stinky feet. All those lovely bacteria and funguses that make human feet stinky? They only thrive because humans insist on enclosing their feet in unnatural coverings.

Everyone in my neighborhood knows me as the lady who goes for walks barefoot; my usual walk is over a mile and I only wear shoes if the ground is freezing cold or scalding hot, and then I usually opt for the most minimalist version.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MercyA said:

I can see how it might feel really nice in a sensory way to be barefoot much of the time, but those of you who go barefoot inside and out, don't your feet get dirty? I feel like mine get dirty even if I'm wearing some kinds of open sandals. 

Yes, they do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No, never barefoot. In fact, if my outfit includes high heels I will wear flats to drive and just bring the heels. 

I wish I could say I don’t wear flip flops to drive, but I do. We don’t allow our kids to wear flip flops when they are learning to drive or still fairly new drivers. If you’ve ever lost one when driving you will understand I why I say this. 

There was a time in my life that I wore shoes so little that I forgot to bring them on a trip where I drove my parents' vehicle from the Bay Area to LA and then flew back to the Bay Area again.  In case you're wondering, yes, they do let you on a plane without shoes, at least they did in 1986.

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, Garga said:

I love wearing shoes. The only time I’m not wearing shoes is in the shower and in bed. I have house shoes that I wear in the house that are for in the house only so that I’m not bringing dirt from outside shoes in. I change into outside shoes before I go out.

My dh has broken too many toes going barefoot and I just don’t understand why he continues to be barefoot with all those broken toes. 

I don’t like the sensation of being barefoot. Every little bit of dirt or fuzz on the floor sticks to my feet and if my feet are sweaty, I’m getting that sweat all over the carpet. Yuck.  

It's a sensory thing, just the opposite way. Shoes make my feet feel claustrophobic, is the best way to explain it. 

1 hour ago, SKL said:

That's interesting, because I've read that bare feet are healthy and developmentally better than wearing shoes (assuming appropriate for weather etc.).  We take in so much information through the soles of our feet.  I was thinking it might even help aging people slow mental and physical decline.

I think this is true IF on soft ground. We are developmentally meant to be barefoot, but also developmentally meant to be on dirt/grass/etc - not tile or concrete or hardwood floors. That is the problem. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

This is why my dog is harnessed and buckled in the car. 

We didn’t used to have enough seats to buckle our dog, so he was always in a carrier on the floor. A couple of weeks ago, I got a call to rush over to the new house for a delivery and just picked him up and dashed out.  It was THE worst 3 mile (each way) drive of my life, worrying about him at max 35mph. I didn’t worry that much bringing new babies home from the hospital!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I do have running water. 😆
I use it for when all sorts of parts get dirty!

It's funny, the idea of having dirty feet in itself doesn't really bother me. It's bringing the dirt in on the carpet that squicks me out. I have bad dreams about people coming in my house with their shoes on. Bare dirty feet seems similar to me.

2 hours ago, maize said:

Yes.

Dirty is the natural state of feet. As every other animal on the planet knows and accepts.

What I don't get ever is stinky feet. All those lovely bacteria and funguses that make human feet stinky? They only thrive because humans insist on enclosing their feet in unnatural coverings.

Everyone in my neighborhood knows me as the lady who goes for walks barefoot; my usual walk is over a mile and I only wear shoes if the ground is freezing cold or scalding hot, and then I usually opt for the most minimalist version.

Oh, I hear you. But even my dog gets her feet washed when she comes in my house. 

I freely admit it's my OCD at work and I slightly envy your barefoot walks. 🙂 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MercyA said:

It's funny, the idea of having dirty feet in itself doesn't really bother me. It's bringing the dirt in on the carpet that squicks me out. I have bad dreams about people coming in my house with their shoes on. Bare dirty feet seems similar to me.

I do wipe them on a mat when I come in, if I was just walking out to the mailbox or something. If I've been int he back door and it is muddy out back I'll hose my feet off before coming in - the hose is right there. 

But Florida dirt is more grey sand than actual dirt - it doesn't tend to stick to your feet. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maize said:

Yes.

Same - we joke that my kids and I take our shoes off when the snow melts and put them back on when it covers the ground.  We often hike barefoot.  Happily the kids inherited my love of barefootedness and not dh's aversion to it!

Edited by Eos
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Eos said:

Same - we joke that my kids and I take our shoes off when the snow melts and put them back on when it covers the ground.  We often hike barefoot.  Happily the kids inherited my love of barefootedness and not dh's aversion to it!

love hiking barefoot!

I watched a documentary about some long race, and the big thing that was taking everyone out of the race was blisters. All I could think was - take off your shoes!!!! If you have good calluses built up, you will do WAY better barefoot than in sweaty shoes!

• Like 4

Carpet grosses me out more than dirty feet!

I prefer to be barefoot as do some my kids. We had to buy so many extra pairs of shoes because many time we would get to our destination and a kid or two did not have shoes? 

I drive barefoot often, depending on the length of the trip and the shoes I'm wearing.

• Like 3

I can’t think of anyone I know who goes barefoot outside of the house, maybe because it’s cold for a good portion of the year where I live. I had no idea there are people driving around barefoot.

Wearing minimalist shoes is more comfy for me than going barefoot. They’re so light and roomy, but protect your feet from splinters and sharp pieces of gravel and getting stepped on by dogs. Plus, they keep your feet clean.

• Like 4

I basically live in flip flops from April through Halloween.  I frequently drive with them off, I just stick them to the side of the pedals so they are out of the way and slip them back on when I get out of the car.  I'm always barefoot in the house and often barefoot in the yard or drive way so I'm used to being barefoot.  

Yes, my feet get dirty.  Although!!  I have recently figured out that the visible dirt on my feet IS NOT from outside.  Its from my floors being not really clean.  I've used a swiffer for years and it was apparently just moving the dirt around. (so gross) I got a real spin mop and bucket and mopped my floors until the bucket water was clean and now my feet and socks look clean unless I skip a week of mopping, no matter how much I'm outside. 

I don't have carpet in my house so I'm not worried about that.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Selkie said:

I can’t think of anyone I know who goes barefoot outside of the house, maybe because it’s cold for a good portion of the year where I live. I had no idea there are people driving around barefoot.

Wearing minimalist shoes is more comfy for me than going barefoot. They’re so light and roomy, but protect your feet from splinters and sharp pieces of gravel and getting stepped on by dogs. Plus, they keep your feet clean.

That is what I was thinking reading everyone's posts.  If you drive barefoot where do you live?  Somewhere that is warm or somewhere that gets cold?  I am a Midwest girl born in IL and live in WI.  I hate shoes and socks, but I don't ever drive barefoot or walk outside barefoot.   It is cold from Oct-April most of the time.  In the summer sandals are bare enough for me.  The only place I am walking barefoot outside is at the beach.  And sometimes not even then.

3 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

That is what I was thinking reading everyone's posts.  If you drive barefoot where do you live?  Somewhere that is warm or somewhere that gets cold?  I am a Midwest girl born in IL and live in WI.  I hate shoes and socks, but I don't ever drive barefoot or walk outside barefoot.   It is cold from Oct-April most of the time.  In the summer sandals are bare enough for me.  The only place I am walking barefoot outside is at the beach.  And sometimes not even then.

I'm in the South.  It's hot from April to October.  I don't put my flip flops away until Christmas and I'll still wear them sometimes even then.  

8 minutes ago, Heartstrings said:

I'm in the South.  It's hot from April to October.  I don't put my flip flops away until Christmas and I'll still wear them sometimes even then.  

I joke that you know it is cold if I upgraded to flip flops from barefoot, lol. If I'm going to take the dogs out or get the mail, and the ground is wet and cold I'll throw on flip flops to insulate my feet from the ground. But that's like, a few days a year, lol. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MercyA said:

Yes, they do!  😄  I don't mind just around the house, but I often wash them quickly before I go to bed.  (I don't like dirty feet in bed!) 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, maize said:

Because shoes are terrible, horrible, miserably uncomfortable things that make your feet hot and prevent them from living free and happy!!!

Why would anyone wear shoes when not absolutely necessary?!

I agree, it just feels so good to be barefoot!  Last summer I ran a race barefoot...  It felt very freeing!

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Wait, wait, wait. You don't ever go outside barefoot? Do you have your own yard?

I've lived in WI most of my life (and do now), and can't imagine never going barefoot. Our current toddler is the only one who likes wearing shoes. I don't wear flip-flops. I have enough feet issues without adding them to the mix. 

I remain confused about posters being worried about the danger of flip-flops while driving. I mean, I can see why. But...isn't ust leaving them down by the pedals still dangerous. Wouldn't you need to toss them in the passenger seat or back to remove the flip-flop danger?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I'm in northern Utah, we do get real winters.

I'm more likely to put shoes on if I have to walk on snow to get to my car. I probably only take them off in the winter for longer drives.

I thought it was illegal to drive barefoot in Canada, but it actually isn't (I just googled it, and it's a common misconception that it is illegal). Since we have around 6 months of the year very cold and commonly with snow, barefoot driving would be a little weird as you'd have to remove your boots and socks to do it. 

I've driven a very short distance with socks-only, and did not like the feel of the bumpy pedals. I can't imagine driving barefoot in a standard, either. I think it would probably cause sores and blisters on bare feet. They certainly don't design the pedals to be comfortable for bare feet. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, J-rap said:

Yes, they do!  😄  I don't mind just around the house, but I often wash them quickly before I go to bed.  (I don't like dirty feet in bed!) 

I also often wash my feet before bed. I like to spritz a little witch hazel or other scent on them, it’s cooling. 

Also, I don’t barefoot hike because I am a magnet for sand burrs. 

Edited by Grace Hopper
  • Like 1

I always drive barefoot (or just socks if it's cold enough). 

I have easily sliponable and offable shoes, and those shoes come off as soon as I sit down. Absolute first thing.

I'm not keen on shoes in general, so that's a factor, but I also feel like I have better control with bare feet.

Why would it be illegal? What's the rationale of that?

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, barnwife said:

I remain confused about posters being worried about the danger of flip-flops while driving. I mean, I can see why. But...isn't ust leaving them down by the pedals still dangerous. Wouldn't you need to toss them in the passenger seat or back to remove the flip-flop danger?

When I take my flip flops off to drive I stack them on top of each other to the left of the pedals, up against the door, flat on the floor and kind of held in place by my left foot that just sits there on the floor while my right foot does pedal work because I'm driving an automatic.  If they were to slide around I could kick them away pretty easy.    Now, when I drive in the flip flops the toe or the edge of the flip flop frequently gets stuck on the bottom of the pedal when I'm moving my foot back and forth and it can be an issue.  

Wait... how are the pedals configured in countries that drive on the opposite side of the road from America?  And what foot do you use for the pedal? I've never thought about that before.  

Edited by Heartstrings

45 minutes ago, barnwife said:

Wait, wait, wait. You don't ever go outside barefoot? Do you have your own yard?

Not mommyoffive, but I never, ever go outside barefoot, not even in my own yard. The only place I am barefoot outside my house is the beach and pool (at the pool only if I'm swimming). And on my porch swing--I kick my shoes off and pull my feet up.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, maize said:

Unfortunately DS17 and I get hives from soil and we have no idea which part of soil we are allergic to. I get contact dermatitis from house dust too.

4 hours ago, MercyA said:

My patio door is at my living room which is carpeted so I have similar issue if someone is barefoot in my patio and bring dirt in on their feet.

1 hour ago, barnwife said:

I don’t have a yard. I have patio shoes for my patio.

• Like 1

I don't like wearing shoes at all, so whenever possible, I take off my right shoe when I'm driving. 🙂 But also, the back of your shoe's right heel often shows wear from rubbing on the car's carpet (some people might be short enough that the heel of their right foot doesn't touch the floor, but mine does), so I prefer to take off my shoe to save it. 🙂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

That’s how my sister rear-ended someone. Wish she had listened to me!!!

My mom got rear-ended by a new driver, so hard that her foot slipped out of her sandal and she was trying to get her foot back in her sandal so we (I was in the car with her) rolled/bumped into the car stopped ahead of us, because she was trying to find her shoe instead of stepping on the brake. There was no damage on the front or the car in front of us, but the trunk needed some body work done to straighten it back out.

I don't own sandals/flip flops and I don't drive barefoot.