Menu

Positive or not?

Mrs Tiggywinkle

The school system says my boys can go to school tomorrow because they’re fully vaccinated and no symptoms despite their sister actively having Covid and I am on like day seven or something.   I trust the CDC guidelines about zero at this point so I tested both boys tonight with a Binax. My 6-year-old’s was clearly negative. This is my 11-year-olds and we are all divided.  I’m really sure I see a faint positive; I texted it to DH who agrees(he’s working), but DS11 and and DD9 disagree.  They suggested I post it for my Imaginary Friends to weigh in.

He’s not going to school anyway. He’s in a 6:1:1 program and there is an immunocompromised, medically fragile child in his classroom and even if the child’s parents, the school, the CDC and whoever else is okay with the exposure risk, I am not. I don’t care if he’s considered truant or whatever. I’m not sending him while he’s living in a house filled with Covid. At least until we’ve got a PCR test.

C88C7794-8501-4A78-A73A-94849FC30743.jpeg

Edited by Mrs Tiggywinkle
  • Like 1

Weirdly; after about 45 minutes it became much darker and there’s no doubt. I know you’re not supposed to use any result after 15 minutes but it’s most definitely positive. 
I’m glad I tested him. I wish they’d update the guidance with the knowledge that plenty of fully vaccinated people are catching and transmitting Covid now.  

image.jpg

• Like 6

My tests (v-chek) say even the faintest line is a positive.

I'd also check your instructions. Our tests say to only check between 10min and 15min. Before 10min can give a false negative. After 15min can give a false positive. 

Each test is different, of course, but just thought it's worth mentioning.

• Like 1

The first picture was a clear positive.  Not even a close call.  

We’ve had a few that I questioned, but it was more along the lines of “is there anything there or am I seeing a shadow/reflection in the plastic window.”  Taking it to a room with different lighting cleared that up. 

21 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

Weirdly; after about 45 minutes it became much darker and there’s no doubt. I know you’re not supposed to use any result after 15 minutes but it’s most definitely positive. 
I’m glad I tested him. I wish they’d update the guidance with the knowledge that plenty of fully vaccinated people are catching and transmitting Covid now.  

FWIW I've seen a month-old negative Binax left in a college dorm that still read negative after all that time.

That said, I have no doubt there are some good reasons Binax instructs people to check results at 15 min. 

• Like 1

Another positive vote.

Plus, I just don’t understand the school guidance these days! Kids here are going to school when their siblings and parents are all positive and actively very symptomatic, if vaccinated. It feels a bit reckless!

On the positive side, for you, you’re a bit young to be a grandma, so, ummm, Yay, Covid!? (Last thing I ever thought I’d type!)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Another positive vote.

Plus, I just don’t understand the school guidance these days! Kids here are going to school when their siblings and parents are all positive and actively very symptomatic, if vaccinated. It feels a bit reckless!

On the positive side, for you, you’re a bit young to be a grandma, so, ummm, Yay, Covid!? (Last thing I ever thought I’d type!)

My oldest is 11 so if any of them made me a grandma right now I might just keel over and die.

I don’t understand the guidance either.  He could have traipsed off to school tomorrow totally asymptomatic with Covid. While I’m sure that happens frequently, it seems foolish of me to allow that when there’s household members who are currently positive.

Anndd…all area schools just closed for tomorrow due to Covid related staff absences….

Edited by Mrs Tiggywinkle
  • Like 7
  • Sad 1

I don't think the guidance has anything to do with reducing transmission.  The goal is to keep kids in schools because it won't kill most of them. It's political, and it's pretty hard for me to not have an attitude about it. Getting into the hypocrisy is probably against board rules, so.... sigh.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

17 hours ago, Katy said:

I don't think the guidance has anything to do with reducing transmission.  The goal is to keep kids in schools because it won't kill most of them. It's political, and it's pretty hard for me to not have an attitude about it. Getting into the hypocrisy is probably against board rules, so.... sigh.

I do have an attitude about it.  Lol. 

16 hours ago, YaelAldrich said:

Positive. I'm sorry. This is the walk so many of my friends have been walking this last two month period. One and then another 4-5 days later, wash and repeat until everyone gets it 

My youngest still isn’t positive. The other two are out of quarantine Friday and Saturday, so I expect he’ll be positive Saturday or Sunday.

4 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Thank you for testing. You may have saved that child in your sons classrooms life.

Half of the time I really feel like I am the only one who cares, but I have to be able to sleep at night.  We are seeing non-medically-fragile kids really sick with Covid, even some who’s oxygen sats won’t come out of the 70s and 80s. Even if my kids are fine I don’t want them giving it to someone else.

• Like 5
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

Half of the time I really feel like I am the only one who cares, but I have to be able to sleep at night.  We are seeing non-medically-fragile kids really sick with Covid, even some who’s oxygen sats won’t come out of the 70s and 80s. Even if my kids are fine I don’t want them giving it to someone else.

You're not the only one who cares, but I can understand feeling that way. So glad you had a test kit on-hand and tested your family! 

With the speed and power that omicrom is ripping through populations in many countrles, I couldn't understand my local media was showing story after story of how some parents NEEDED to get their kids back to in-person school asap. Just because it's a nice thing to hope for doesn't mean it's realistic or even safe right now. 

Edited by wintermom

Definitely positive.  Any line at all is positive.

With regard to it developing a line if allowed to sit for an extended period--I know that in some tests this is a thing, but I've watched two negative Binax tests over a period of days that never developed a line.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if it takes a bit longer to see a low level of antigen.  (I actually have professional experience with this sort of thing, so I'm not just expressing a random opinion.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EKS said:

Definitely positive.  Any line at all is positive.

With regard to it developing a line if allowed to sit for an extended period--I know that in some tests this is a thing, but I've watched two negative Binax tests over a period of days that never developed a line.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if it takes a bit longer to see a low level of antigen.  (I actually have professional experience with this sort of thing, so I'm not just expressing a random opinion.)

Yep. They can develop sort of a grayish tinge just from evaporation but it isn't a pink line.

• Like 1