Menu

Answered, thanks. :)

It would be really nice to be able to have rice with lunch. And I would probably save money if I cooked beans from dried instead of relying on canned. But I don't think I can do more hands-on time in the kitchen (especially while teaching in the living room).

I'm not looking to cook meat, entire one-pot meals, cheesecake, etc.

Should I consider one of these devices, or not?

Thanks.

Edited by Carolina Wren

My instapot has been game changer for us because I now do rice or mashed potatoes and don't have to worry about timing.  I put meat or veggies in the oven or crock pot and then I can do either rice or potatoes quickly, but if I'm busy they'll just sit there, warm, indefinitely.  I also use it to make refried beans starting with dried beans - if I soak them overnight then they cook in 10 minutes.  I only do a handful of meat and other dishes, but with hungry teen/tween kids and a busy schedule it's been helpful.  

• Like 1

It depends on how much rice you eat. 3 cups of rice takes me 20mins over the stove. My parents generation however is cooking 6 to 10 cups of rice at a time so they have rice cookers. It also takes me 20 mins to cook rice via microwave using a deep square pyrex dish if I am lazy. 
I like using the instant pot as a slow cooker for cooking stews and making pulled pork.

27 minutes ago, freesia said:

Canned beans are really cheap. I don’t know how much money you’d really save cooking them. 

Around here a can of beans costs about the same price as a pound of dried beans. However 1 pound dried makes the equivalent of 4 cans so if one eats a lots of beans over time the savings could definitely add up.

OP, the instapot includes a rice function plus lots of other things. For me I prefer a device that is multi use instead of single use 

• Like 3

An instant pot is ideal for rice and beans.  And the BPA in canned beans might be an additional reason to make them yourself.

Also, pressure cooking is said to be best for breaking down the compounds in some whole grains (like quinoa) that seem to cause inflammation in some people.

I love the IP and use mine about 5 times per week.

Things I love about the IP:

1. I can cook dried beans or brown rice rather quickly, even if I forgot to soak the beans.

2. It is completely hands-off once I get it set up. So it may not cook my carnitas quicker than in the oven or on the stove, but I can set it and leave the house.

3. No smells. I sometimes don't want to smell food all day.

4. No heating up the house.

I use the IP to cook rice if I am making dinner on the stove. Friday, I made carnitas in the IP and Mexican rice in the slow cooker.

I would 100% go for the IP and skip the rice cooker, since the IP does a good job.

• Like 1

I love my Instant Pot, and use it for things I didn’t think I would when  I bought it, including rice. Not desserts, though.

i had a stovetop pressure cooker for years, and all I ever made in it was beans. That was worth it to me because I make beans quite often, and in quantities of more than one can. We have beans and cornbread for supper regularly, and canned beans are not the same to me for that.

It really depends on your own situation though. Besides rice and beans, Google instant pot recipes for things you commonly cook, just see what’s out there. I lean towards instant pot just because I’m not fond of uni-taking kitchen appliances, but a rice cooker might be worth it for you like a pressure cooker just for beans was for me.

i use it for rice pudding, boiled eggs (a lot), potatoes for mashing, “baked “ potatoes the aforementioned rice and beans, many soups and stews, plus random other recipes that I just try when I feel like it.

Edited by Emba

If all you really want is rice with lunch, try an experiment where you cook extra, bag it, and freeze it in lunch-size portions. It's easy to thaw, heat (with a little water in the microwave) and enjoy. I have rice with lunch at least 50% of the time. Although I do cook the big batches in my instant pot.

• Like 2

Both!

We have both, and both get used very regularly.

The IP is really good for hard-cooked eggs, beans, bone broth and stocks, and anything wet and stew-like (chili, stew, soups etc).  We also like it for whole chickens and pot roast.

Whether or not you'll like it for rice depends on how serious you are about rice.  DH comes from a family that is serious about rice, and we eat it pretty much every day.  Most meals are whatever we cook plus rice - so I need a way to cook rice that's not the IP, because the IP is busy making the main meal and I need rice at the same time.  And our rice cooker (fancy zojirushi that's only slightly less fancy than a space-ship) does a better job with rice than the IP.  (The IP is fine, but the fancy rice cooker is better.)

So both if you need rice as a side dish to whatever you make in the IP, or if you are super finicky about rice.

• Like 3

We used to own both a rice maker and an instant pot but when our rice maker died we bought a second instant pot because it makes rice so well. Often we have chicken going in one instant pot and rice or beans in the other.

I cook dried black beans often and freeze the leftovers in 2 c portions = roughly equivalent to a can of beans. One pound of dried beans makes 6 cups of cooked beans.

3 minutes ago, bolt. said:

If all you really want is rice with lunch, try an experiment where you cook extra, bag it, and freeze it in lunch-size portions. It's easy to thaw, heat (with a little water in the microwave) and enjoy. I have rice with lunch at least 50% of the time. Although I do cook the big batches in my instant pot.

DH might die if I tried that.  At least faint. HE WOULD KNOW just by smelling it,  I bet.  The rice would be WRONG. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

We use the heck out of our rice cooker.  I set it every night to have hot oatmeal ready in the morning for breakfast.  We do sometimes use it for rice and quinoa, but mainly it's oatmeal.  My 10 year old can prep and clean it herself, which is definitely a bonus.

We also have an instant pot, which dh uses for meat and hardboiled eggs.  I've never used it.  It's a pain to clean.  Maybe a smaller one would get more use, idk.

It is true that zojirushi rice is better than IP rice. If you are Serious about rice, it’s a definite consideration.

I can sometimes get crispy bits (that the kids love) with the instant pot, and it’s generally nice and fluffy and wonderful, but if Dh makes it, my basmati turns out more like sticky rice. A lot depends on the rinsing technique and water to rice ratio.

• Like 2

In addition to being cheaper, the flavor and texture of home-cooked beans are so much better. I use a lot of chickpeas in curries, soups, and salads, as well as making hummus, and there is just no comparison between canned chickpeas and chickpeas cooked with garlic and herbs and spices in the Instant Pot. Plus you can get them nice and soft, with skins that float off, to make hummus that is super smooth and creamy instead of "grainy." Also awesome for making various dals and lentil dishes, perfect brown rice, and steel cut oats. 

• Like 1

We have 2 rice cookers and no instant pot (but we do have a pressure canner which I also use as a pressure cooker). We have a fancy rice cooker and a cheap rice cooker, both stainless steel. I would personally stay away from the non-stick rice cooker. Stainless steel rice cooker is just not that hard to clean. The cheap rice cooker just needs extra soaking time with hot water and soap. The fancy rice cooker is a breeze the clean. 

Fancy rice cooker vs. cheap, fancy has more "functions" for making cake, steaming veggies in the pot, soup etc, and the pot distributes heat more evenly (you don't get the crust of rice on the bottom of the pot), also the pot is smoother so less areas for the food to cling to. My fancy one is also insulated so I can use it to bring the food I make places, but I think cheaper ones have that too (just not my super cheap one).

I've never used the fancy rice cooker for anything other than rice, because we have all the gadgets (except the IP). 

9 hours ago, Clarita said:

We have 2 rice cookers and no instant pot (but we do have a pressure canner which I also use as a pressure cooker). We have a fancy rice cooker and a cheap rice cooker, both stainless steel. I would personally stay away from the non-stick rice cooker. Stainless steel rice cooker is just not that hard to clean. The cheap rice cooker just needs extra soaking time with hot water and soap. The fancy rice cooker is a breeze the clean. 

Fancy rice cooker vs. cheap, fancy has more "functions" for making cake, steaming veggies in the pot, soup etc, and the pot distributes heat more evenly (you don't get the crust of rice on the bottom of the pot), also the pot is smoother so less areas for the food to cling to. My fancy one is also insulated so I can use it to bring the food I make places, but I think cheaper ones have that too (just not my super cheap one).

I've never used the fancy rice cooker for anything other than rice, because we have all the gadgets (except the IP). 

Link me to your fancy one?

• Like 1

In your position, I’d get an instant pot. I don’t HAVE one, but I do use my rice cooker, crockpot, and pressure cooker ALL the time. A lot of my easy meals rely on rice in the rice cooker and meat in another device, so I’d need two instant pots to make the transition. 😄 my rice cooker is a $30 from Costco that’s been in constantly use for almost 15 years. It also serves as a steamer and a slow cooker. My pressure cooker is a stovetop model, but I don’t know anyone besides my mother who uses those anymore. My crockpot was a wedding present in the early 90s. It was super fancy because the crock is removable. 🤣

eta: I always make extra rice for meals because we do fried rice about once a week  with whatever veggies we need to finish up. I need cold rice on hand for that. 

Edited by KungFuPanda

For beans, IP are wonderful. The IP can double as a crock pot, as you know, but the stainless steel insert makes this a plus for me. I have a large IP and also a small one. I’ve never owned a rice cooker, so I can’t compare rice, but IP has always cooked rice just fine. Since  the IP can do it all and is made of stainless steel, it’s a good choice.

We have an IP and a rice cooker.  I've always used the stove top or oven to cook rice (stove top, white, oven is brown rice from Alton Brown's rice). 

My dh decided we needed a rice cooker. I'm not sure why since I mostly cook the rice. He bought one. He has used it 3-4, but I noticed the other day when I went to pick up Panda Express he cooked rice on the stove top again. 

Part of my reason against it is space. We have plenty of countertop, but I don't want to see appliances on them. We already have an electric kettle and a stand mixer. There is cabinet space, but it is starting to get tight in there. Perhaps I need to go through it and donate some stuff. Probably a good to do item for a raining day. 

17 hours ago, Carolina Wren said:

It would be really nice to be able to have rice with lunch. And I would probably save money if I cooked beans from dried instead of relying on canned. But I don't think I can do more hands-on time in the kitchen (especially while teaching in the living room).

I'm not looking to cook meat, entire one-pot meals, cheesecake, etc.

Should I consider one of these devices, or not?

Thanks.

I haven't used my rice cooker since I got the InstaNt Pot. Also, I haven't cooked rice on the stove since I bought my first rice cooker over 30 years ago.

It took me some time to find the correct method for InstaNT Pot rice, but once I did, I never looked back. I also use the IP instead of my slow cooker. I have even cooked a turkey breast in that thing. 🙂

Edited by Ellie

I have a Vita Clay 7900 that I used to make rice in at altitude (5400 feet), where I had trouble just steaming it.  I LOVE IT.

Supposedly it would also work as a slow cooker but I have not tried that.  I have to say, it doesn’t overheat like a slow cooker can, and so I think it would be great for beans, but when I make beans I simmer them slowly on the stove which only requires me to stir occasionally, or cook them in the Sun Oven in the summer so I have not had occasion to try it for them.

It has gentle, completely even heat, and programmable/pre-programmed cycles.  They conclude with a ‘keep warm’ phase so you are always serving hot, well cooked rice.  There is also a programmable delayed start.  

One thing I like about it is that it doesn’t have any glaze and it’s fired at a very high temperature, so I’m unconcerned about lead or other heavy metals getting into the food.

Edited by Carol in Cal.

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

Wanna put me out of my misery and tell me the brand? When I looked at them on amazon, I wasn't finding stainless that were nicer.

I have one from 10 years ago. They are called Buffalo Smart Cooker. Maybe this is the current model?? Amazon.com: Buffalo Titanium Grey IH SMART COOKER, Rice Cooker and Warmer, 1.5L, 8 cups of rice, Non-Coating inner pot, Efficient, Multiple function, Induction Heating (8 cups): Home & Kitchen

I've found random postings of mine. Buffalo Rice Cooker, Smart Cooker, Stainless Steel Inner Pot Rice Cooker (goldenhood.com.au)

A cheap rice cooker: Amazon.com: Aroma Housewares Select Stainless Rice Cooker & Warmer with Uncoated Inner Pot, 6-Cup(cooked) / 1.2Qt, ARC-753SG: Rice Cooker Stainless Steel: Home & Kitchen

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Ellie said:

I haven't used my rice cooker since I got the InstaNt Pot. Also, I haven't cooked rice on the stove since I bought my first rice cooker over 30 years ago.

It took me some time to find the correct method for InstaNT Pot rice, but once I did, I never looked back. I also use the IP instead of my slow cooker. I have even cooked a turkey breast in that thing. 🙂

I'm thinking of switching to my Instant Pot for rice because my rice cooker is nonstick and rice never works out on the stove for me.  Did you figure out an IP way for white or brown rice?  Do you have a link or was it your own trial and error?

49 minutes ago, happi duck said:

I'm thinking of switching to my Instant Pot for rice because my rice cooker is nonstick and rice never works out on the stove for me.  Did you figure out an IP way for white or brown rice?  Do you have a link or was it your own trial and error?

This blog has great instructions for cooking all different kinds of rice in an IP. They experiment with different times, amounts of water, etc., and discuss the results, so they often recommend specific adjustments in case you prefer your rice a little softer than their own (al dente) preference, and there are lots of comments from people describing any adjustments they made as well. They have similar posts for different kinds of beans, too.

https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-rice-recipes/

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, happi duck said:

I only cook white rice. 🙂 I tried several different methods (because on the Instant Pot FB group, there are elebenty hundred methods for cooking rice, eggs, and yogurt, lol). I finally saw this on a website which I didn't save, but I promise you I didn't make it up. 🙂

The Instant  Pot comes with a small measuring cup (plus a couple of other things). That measuring cup is for white rice, and it's about 3/4 of a cup. The stainless steel inner liner (which is where you actually cook your food) has measurements on the inside; those are 1 cup increments. You measure rice into the liner using the rice measuring cup (leveled off; IOW, don't pile the rice in the cup); add water to the line on the inside, e.g., 2 rice measuring cups of rice, 2 on the measuring line. Press the "rice" button. Walk away. That button is the only one that senses the food and decides the time; you cannot change it. When it's finished, let it NPR; remove the lid and stir the rice; put the lid back on for a few minutes.

If you like to add butter when you cook rice, add it after the water.

It doesn't matter whether you rinse your rice or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ellie said:

Press the "rice" button.

Would now be the time to fess up that I've never tried that button (or any preset feature) on my IP at all? 😂 I've been making brown rice with it very happily for a couple years now. I saute onion with butter, throw in garlic, add rice and broth, set it and walk away. It works, but I never feel like I have epiphany rice, only good rice. 

So you're saying this thing has a sensor? I could look it up, haha. Maybe there are greater heights of brown rice cookery. I usually cook the whole bag, no measuring, and then freeze in portions for fast lunches. I also cook a lot of wild rice, which I also haven't perfected. It's fine, but sometimes it's too wet.

31 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Would now be the time to fess up that I've never tried that button (or any preset feature) on my IP at all? 😂 I've been making brown rice with it very happily for a couple years now. I saute onion with butter, throw in garlic, add rice and broth, set it and walk away. It works, but I never feel like I have epiphany rice, only good rice. 

So you're saying this thing has a sensor? I could look it up, haha. Maybe there are greater heights of brown rice cookery. I usually cook the whole bag, no measuring, and then freeze in portions for fast lunches. I also cook a lot of wild rice, which I also haven't perfected. It's fine, but sometimes it's too wet.

I don't use most of the preprogrammed buttons, but the rice button is so perfect. Of course, it is only for white rice, so of course you wouldn't need to use it. 🙂 Yes, it has a sensor. Of some kind. I can't explain how it cooks white rice; I just know that is true.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ellie said:

I don't use most of the preprogrammed buttons, but the rice button is so perfect. Of course, it is only for white rice, so of course you wouldn't need to use it. 🙂 Yes, it has a sensor. Of some kind. I can't explain how it cooks white rice; I just know that is true.

My Vita Clay has a different program for white rice than for brown rice.  

I cook wild rice on the stove, and purple or black rice in the Vita Clay using the brown rice cycle.

• Like 1

We can’t do both? I have/use both. The rice cooker lives on my counter. We make 6-8 cups (cooked) at a time. My DD eats it with spicy tuna/salmon, smoked salmon, sprinkled with furikake, nearly any sauce I make. I mostly use the instapot for stewed beef, pork, chicken and beans. I also use the instapot for dirty rice, rice and peas, and arroz con pollo. I don’t want strong flavors to linger in my rice cooker. The rice cooker makes better rice tho.  I, too, have a zojirushi. It will be pried from my cold, dead hands.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Haha 2

If I had the space, I would have both. The instant pot makes great rice! But often I'm making something in the instant pot and also want rice for the same meal. It's not too hard to make one or the other a little bit ahead, but it would be nice not to have to.

The IP is great for beans, but a pan on the stove or in the oven works just as well, it's just not as fast. I love it for making chicken stock, but again, with some planning, a pot on the stove works great. People laud the IP for hard boiled eggs but I found the results inconsistent, so went back to the pot on the stove.

In my experience, cooking rice in a pot on the stove is a hassle and has unreliable results. So I want an appliance for that purpose. I liked my rice cooker till it died - which was right around the time I got the instant pot. So I just used that.  The site Corraleno linked to above is great, very helpful. 

Edited by marbel

47 minutes ago, Carolina Wren said:

The Instant Pot Duo Plus is $90 ($60 cheaper than the Zojirushi rice cooker I'm looking at). I'm inclined to go for it. Speak now if you know a reason I should change my mind!

Thanks.

It really only matters if you are a rice connoisseur (which we are) and like foolproof rice. Mushy or undercooked rice won't get eaten here UNLESS it's intended to be that way (like the aforementioned dirty rice, arroz con pollo, arroz con gandules).

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

We won't eat it if it's undercooked, but a little overcooked won't hurt. We eat short-grain brown, arborio, sometimes sushi rice. And the ability to cook beans in it is pretty attractive. My library has a vegan IP cookbook (by Nisha Vora) that I want to check out.

• Like 1