Menu

DS22 has Covid

ktgrok

Yes, he is fully vaccinated. Works in a vet office, everyone masks, all staff are vaccinated other than one woman who is pregnant and waiting until 3rd trimester. 

He went on a trip for his birthday, delayed a year, this past week. Went to an Air B&B in upstate New York. Came back yesterday morning. Assuming he caught it while on the trip, which is so ridiculous since rates are SO much lower there than here! Ugh. 

Now to try to figure out how to handle ventilation to hopefully prevent the rest of the house getting it, including my kid with two autoimmune diseases who is too young to be vaccinated. 

• Sad 61

15 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Yes, he is fully vaccinated. Works in a vet office, everyone masks, all staff are vaccinated other than one woman who is pregnant and waiting until 3rd trimester. 

He went on a trip for his birthday, delayed a year, this past week. Went to an Air B&B in upstate New York. Came back yesterday morning. Assuming he caught it while on the trip, which is so ridiculous since rates are SO much lower there than here! Ugh. 

Now to try to figure out how to handle ventilation to hopefully prevent the rest of the house getting it, including my kid with two autoimmune diseases who is too young to be vaccinated. 

Well, that stinks. I’m sorry.

So how did it come about that he tested? Is he symptomatic? 

So sorry- I’m sure it’s a tough balancing act to care for your sick one while worrying your immune compromised kid might catch it.  Hope he recovers quickly!

As encouragement, I know several people who did nothing more than isolate the sick person in one bedroom/bathroom and nobody else got sick.  I hope that’s enough for you guys. 

• Like 5

Where is his room in relation to return air ducts? You could seal off the ones closest to his room. Do you have a HEPA or MERV 13 air filter that your a/c passes through before being distributed to the house? Also, I mentioned this in the other thread, but you could build a very effective air cleaner using a box fan and MERV 13 air filters. You could build a couple and put one in his room and one or two throughout your house (my recollection is your house isn't huge, so a couple would likely do it). I'll come back with a link for you.

eta: https://encycla.com/Corsi-Rosenthal_Cube

Edited by KSera
  • Like 3

My nephew had it. He isolated in his room. They all wore masks the vast majority of the time when not eating/sleeping. They also opened windows every day, even though it was cold (WI winter). None of the rest of the family got (2 parents, 2 siblings). 

I hope his case is mild, with no long-term effects! (And, of course, that no one else gets it!)

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Close the vents to his room and get fans on there or a window ac unit?

well, we want the vents that go INTO his room working, it is the out that is an issue. He could run a window ac but that would create positive pressure, making it more likely air would be pushed into the rest of the house. 

12 minutes ago, pinball said:

Well, that stinks. I’m sorry.

So how did it come about that he tested? Is he symptomatic? 

He woke up with no sense of smell

• Sad 1

Only one air intake....right outside his door in the hall that has his room, 2nd bath, and kids' room. 

DH is creating some kind of frame with scrap and plastic sheeting to try to isolate his room and that bathroom from the air intake and rest of the house. 

I have a Merv 11 filter on main AC. Will see if I can get a Merv 13. It is a 2 inch thick one at least. Old AC only did 1 inch. 

Kids cannot go to my parents as now they have been exposed and mom is highest risk. 

I hate to send him somewhere on his own in case he gets worse, plus food/drink/etc. DH thinks we should send him to an empty house that a friend's mom lived in - she died and they still have house but no internet, and again, staying by himself. 

His dad had cardiomyopathy triggered by a virus, so we are a bit concerned regarding that. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 11

14 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

i think you aren’t a believer in early treatments, IVM, etc., etc and so assume I’ll get the usual type reply I get from you over and over in recent times 

nonetheless, if it were me dealing with Covid, and at risk child, etc, I would contact an early treatment knowledgeable Covid doctor (perhaps telemedicine needed to reach one - maybe speak with an md dot com could help or suggest who could if they don’t handle children  )  and especially get the unvaccinated, and at risk children onto a treatment considered ok for them — such as IVM if that were considered okay for their medical conditions — to be started immediately when someone in household is positive and sick.   

This is being shared because I care about children . 

Also sharing what now may be outdated but a flow chart I have downloaded that I shared with other mom here with sick 20 year old

It’s from AAPS downloadable patient booklet (may be there’s more recent update)... my family does far more than it recommends by way of vitamins and so on.  But it’s at least something. I’d also look at FLCCC information.

Hope ds22 recovers well soon and that your unvaccinated children do ok too, whatever course of action you decide on

DBC945AB-DB1B-49C2-B4F8-3EF9FD8150EE.jpeg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

IS there a way to make the garage a place he could stay? 

No, it is full to the brim with crap, we actually planned on renting a storage unit to move some stuff out of it tomorrow. And currently has a rat or two coming and going. 

• Sad 3

Oh, Katie, I'm so sorry.  You've worked so hard to avoid this.  My dh probably had a breakthrough case 3 weeks ago (he had a negative, then positive rapid but no PCR at the time (negative PCR this week.)  Everyone in the house by youngest is vaccinated.  No one got it.  Now we are quite a bit north of you, but what I did was put a portable air filter with a UV light in it (and HEPA).  We don't have central air so I opened all the windows and ran the window unit with the windows open.  I also had the ceiling fan on as much as possible.  Only I went in, and not far (except when his fever was super high and I had to wake him at night.)  I always wore a mask and left his food at least 6 feet away.  He had a bathroom attached to his room.  He honestly never left the room for at least a week and then only fully masked to get some time outside.  He took elderberry and Vitamin D. 

His only real symptom was a high fever.  His case was not comfortable, but was considered mild.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I hate to send him somewhere on his own in case he gets worse, plus food/drink/etc. DH thinks we should send him to an empty house that a friend's mom lived in - she died and they still have house but no internet, and again, staying by himself. 

I think that's a good idea, but you should keep an eye on him. But it's easier not to catch it if you just visit than if you share a place. 

Again... Internet through a cellphone, could that work? 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Only one air intake....right outside his door in the hall that has his room, 2nd bath, and kids' room. 

DH is creating some kind of frame with scrap and plastic sheeting to try to isolate his room and that bathroom from the air intake and rest of the house. 

I have a Merv 11 filter on main AC. Will see if I can get a Merv 13. It is a 2 inch thick one at least. Old AC only did 1 inch. 

Kids cannot go to my parents as now they have been exposed and mom is highest risk. 

His dad had cardiomyopathy triggered by a virus, so we are a bit concerned regarding that. 

Seeing that he can't go to you parents.  We cross posted.  Could dh go and stay at the empty house with him?  I wouldn't be totally comfortable with him being alone--or maybe dh could go if things get worse?

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

This is an older article (last year), but suggests that an older filter actually gets more effective as dust accumulates, but I don't know how that works if it's only MERV 11 compared to MERV 13. It also suggests not keeping the house as cool as usual, since the virus survives longer that way. That seems like a doable thing: you could turn up your a/c so the house is cool enough to not be dangerous or miserable, but maybe not as comfortable as you would usually keep it. https://www.businessinsider.com/turning-off-ac-could-limit-chance-of-infection-experts-say-2020-4?op=1

Also, so much frustration about people who say they really care about kids, but won't get vaccinated to protect them. I could cry about it every day at this point 😢.

• Like 1

I would really consider paying for some extra phone data and sending him to the friend's empty home if it still has some furniture in it.

You could visit him and bring him food, masked, then follow disinfecting protocols like showering and changing clothes when you get home. While the younger non-vaxed kids have already been exposed, you could still mitigate prolonged exposure to shared air in the house.

I'd also get everyone in the house on elevated doses of vitamins C + D, Zinc, and elderberry if possible. Anything that helps to boost the immune system against more common respiratory illnesses.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, fraidycat said:

I would really consider paying for some extra phone data and sending him to the friend's empty home if it still has some furniture in it.

You could visit him and bring him food, masked, then follow disinfecting protocols like showering and changing clothes when you get home. While the younger non-vaxed kids have already been exposed, you could still mitigate prolonged exposure to shared air in the house.

I'd also get everyone in the house on elevated doses of vitamins C + D, Zinc, and elderberry if possible. Anything that helps to boost the immune system against more common respiratory illnesses.

I agree with this post, with the caveat I would see if we have any better advice on elderberry with Covid at this point. We use it usually in flu season at first sign of anything, but with immune system stuff, I know there have been some questions about whether it could over stimulate. Last I saw, I think it didn't look concerning, but I would want to be sure.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Pen said:

i think you aren’t a believer in early treatments, IVM, etc., etc and so assume I’ll get the usual type reply I get from you over and over in recent times 

nonetheless, if it were me dealing with Covid, and at risk child, etc, I would contact an early treatment knowledgeable Covid doctor (perhaps telemedicine needed to reach one - maybe speak with an md dot com could help or suggest who could if they don’t handle children  )  and especially get the unvaccinated, and at risk children onto a treatment considered ok for them — such as IVM if that were considered okay for their medical conditions — to be started immediately when someone in household is positive and sick.   

This is being shared because I care about children . 

Also sharing what now may be outdated but a flow chart I have downloaded that I shared with other mom here with sick 20 year old

It’s from AAPS downloadable patient booklet (may be there’s more recent update)... my family does far more than it recommends by way of vitamins and so on.  But it’s at least something. I’d also look at FLCCC information.

Hope ds22 recovers well soon and that your unvaccinated children do ok too, whatever course of action you decide on

DBC945AB-DB1B-49C2-B4F8-3EF9FD8150EE.jpeg

@Pen — I just wanted to say how you have really showed your character in this thread. I know you and Katie have been polar opposites in several Covid threads and you have been mocked and insulted by many for your views and opinions, but as soon as you saw that Katie’s son was ill, you immediately put all of your differences aside and rushed to offer help and advice. 

That was really nice of you, Pen. 🙂 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, ktgrok said:

I should mention that the empty house is 45-50 minutes away. And further from good hospitals, etc. 

Given that he's fully vaccinated, and currently the only symptom is loss of smell, I would be tempted to send him there, assuming it has power/ refrigerator/ etc.  I'd sign up for unlimited data for his phone for the month and let him watch movies and what not.  I think he's very unlikely to rapidly become so seriously ill that he needs the hospital.  My goal would be avoiding exposure of the unvaccinated, at risk younger kids to the virus.  

If he was really ill, I'd feel differently.  

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Given that he's fully vaccinated, and currently the only symptom is loss of smell, I would be tempted to send him there, assuming it has power/ refrigerator/ etc.  I'd sign up for unlimited data for his phone for the month and let him watch movies and what not.  I think he's very unlikely to rapidly become so seriously ill that he needs the hospital.  My goal would be avoiding exposure of the unvaccinated, at risk younger kids to the virus.  

I agree.  You could move him closer if he gets a lot sicker.  Send him with a thermometer, tylenol and a pulse Ox and check in regularly. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Terabith said:

i agree as well.

Heck, it might be worth paying for internet for the house for a month!  But yes, I'd send him with a thermometer, pulse ox, and some tylenol/ ibuprofen as well as the Vitamin D, C, B, zinc, quercetin, NAC, turmeric, melatonin protocol, and I'd ask about taking baby aspirin.  

It's possible there are other supplements recommended, but those are the ones I remember.

Edited by Terabith
  • Like 6

31 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Completely agree. As much as it totally sucks that he got it while fully vaccinated, the stats for the fully vaccinated show that it is incredibly unlikely that he is going to become seriously ill. I would make a different decision if he wasn't vaccinated, but with a vaccinated 22 yo who isn't feeling bad, and unvaccinated kids at home, this seems like the way to go. Does he have his own care he can drive himself in? Also, did he travel with anyone and are they infected? It would be useful to know when he likely acquired it.

• Like 4

@ktgrok what is his work situation? Do they expect him to call in or work from home at all? (Not sure how that works with a vet office?)  I am just wondering if that impacts the "stay in a house 50 minutes away" scenario.

I'm so sorry that your family is facing this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cintinative said:

@ktgrok what is his work situation? Do they expect him to call in or work from home at all? (Not sure how that works with a vet office?)  I am just wondering if that impacts the "stay in a house 50 minutes away" scenario.

I'm so sorry that your family is facing this.

Hopefully his job doesn’t want him coming to work while having a positive Covid test. I know we can work now if exposed as long as we are vaxxed, but still supposed to stay home if we had a positive test.

• Like 2

Obviously, do whatever you feel you must... but if anecdotal accounts make you feel better, we were never really able to fully isolate from dd13 when the rest of us were positive. After a week, we gave up even really trying. She tested negative (PCR) throughout our/her quarantine. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

Hopefully his job doesn’t want him coming to work while having a positive Covid test. I know we can work now if exposed as long as we are vaxxed, but still supposed to stay home if we had a positive test.

Yes, which is why i asked if he has to work from home. If he does, then staying in a place with no internet 50 minutes away might be an issue.

21 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I don’t know about Florida, but if you knowingly have Covid and stay at a hotel in New York you can be fined.  

There might be quarantine hotels? But yeah, I realized that after saying that. 

A freestanding AirBnB with a separate entrance and a warning to the owners might work?