Menu

Stinky kitchen sponges

Amethyst

We have an ongoing issue with kitchen sponges. After a few days of use, they stink. We try the put-in-the-microwave trick, but that barely does anything imo. I don’t want to go back to dishcloth that I would have to hang over the faucet to dry, because I hate that look. Are there better alternatives to the typical o-cello or scotchbrite sponges?

We rinse them through aggressively and run ours through the dishwasher regularly.  We probably replace every 4-6 weeks and often have 2 going at a time to keep them rotating through the dishwasher.  We don't really have problems?  We use just the yellow/green scotchbrite scrubber sponges.  

• Like 1

Stinky sponges totally gross me out, so I switched to these polyester mesh dishcloths, which were recommended on a thread here a few years ago. They rinse out in seconds and since they don't absorb water like cloth, they don't need to be hung up to dry and they never stink.

ETA: They look stiff in the photo because they're folded, but they scrunch up just like any other dishcloth and they actually hold a lot of suds.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Thanks 1

Having grown up with a public health official we never had sponges in the kitchen--not because of odor but because of food safety; he said that we might as well clean the sink with the raw chicken as with a sponge.  So, while I do not like the look of a dish rag, I like the look of a sponge even less.  DH likes to use a sponge; I found that if a crocheted sponge-sized cotton cloths he will use those and they can be thrown in the wash.  I also found a silicone sponge about a year ago that works well, can be cleaned easily and doesn't remain damp to breed bacteria.  

• Like 4

I have a brother -in-law who is a health inspector.  No sponges!

We have a plastic brush that we run through the dishwasher and a stack of 2 dozen kitchen cloths that I use once, wring out,  and put in a small hamper in the bottom of my pantry.  They get washed in very hot water every couple of days along with my cloth napkins, cloth placemats, and hemp coffee filters.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Corraleno said:

Stinky sponges totally gross me out, so I switched to these polyester mesh dishcloths, which were recommended on a thread here a few years ago. 

These look interesting. But where do you keep it when it’s not in use? Hang it over the sink? Hang it over the faucet? Toss it on the counter? This is my problem. Where do I store it so it doesn’t look messy. I have a little thingy to place my sponge. I’m not sure what I would do with this (same for dish cloth). 

14 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

These look interesting. But where do you keep it when it’s not in use? Hang it over the sink? Hang it over the faucet? Toss it on the counter? This is my problem. Where do I store it so it doesn’t look messy. I have a little thingy to place my sponge. I’m not sure what I would do with this (same for dish cloth). 

Do you have a double sink? Lay it across the middle thingie of the sink. And there are all sorts of clever, simple thingies that you can drape your cloths on so they won't be all messy.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

I'm not @Corraleno (obviously 😉), but if the side of your fridge is accessible and magnets will stick to it you might consider some magnetic hooks. Looks like one of those could easily hang from one. I have a double sink, so I hang my dishrag over the divider. But I do have some kitchen towels that I hang from a magnetic hook on the fridge.

Dishcloth hanger

Adhesive sponge holder + discloth hanger

Sink caddy

Another caddy

2-in-1 kitchen sink caddy

Those are just a few from many pages of choices. If you don't like clutter (I don't either) the free standing caddies could be placed under the sink in a cabinet. Personally, I'd do anything to avoid using sponges. As much as I despise clutter, I'd deal with a bit of it in order to avoid the nastiness of sponges.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Dishcloth hanger

Adhesive sponge holder + discloth hanger

Sink caddy

Another caddy

2-in-1 kitchen sink caddy

Those are just a few from many pages of choices. If you don't like clutter (I don't either) the free standing caddies could be placed under the sink in a cabinet. Personally, I'd do anything to avoid using sponges. As much as I despise clutter, I'd deal with a bit of it in order to avoid the nastiness of sponges.

Thanks for these links! ! Now I have to decide between the first and the last one! 😀

• Like 2

We only use sponges when absolutely necessary, and most often not in the kitchen. If they aren't an immediate toss after use, we will out in the dishwasher. Most get used 2-3 times max before being tossed. I hate the waste so we try to avoid using them. A scrubber brush (we really like the IKEA ones) serves almost all our needs for dishes. In fact the only thing we use besides them are chainmail for cast iron. The sponge is more for the sink itself, shower, or needing to really scrub parts of the bathroom. 

I only use dishcloths. My current sink has one large bowl, so there is no divider to use as a hanging/drying spot. I wanted a towel holder under my sink, but I didn't want to drill holes in the cabinet. So I bought a towel bar that attaches with Command strips.

My kitchen cabinets are brand new, and I wanted to protect the door from contact with the drippy cloths, so before I attached the towel bar, I stuck a clear piece of contact paper over the wood. So now I can hang my wet dishcloths and damp kitchen towels under my sink, on the back of the cabinet door.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

Do people not generally throw scrubby sponges away after a couple of days?  

I buy our sponges in costco sized packs.  I buy enough to use one per week, but I use or plastic brush that I run through the dishwasher more often than I use the sponges, the sponges I mostly use on my cast iron because they work better than the brush.

But, I do use them sometimes for other gunk and if they get icky, I just pitch them.  They aren't that expensive, I see no reason to keep them around and try to revive them if they look icky.  

I use a plastic pan scraper on my cast iron. Mine came from pampered chef. You can get them from Lodge too.

• Like 1

I put all the kitchen scrubbies in the dishwasher each day when I run it. The scrub brushes, bottle brushes, sponge, plastic scrubber etc. Anything that is out and has been used goes there. When I wash the dishcloths in the washer, I also toss sponges in there. 

Edited by Tap

I don't use a sponge, I just use wash clothes.  We must be messy bc i just use them a few times then toss in the hamper- i have a small one just for kitchen towels.  I wash every other day and don't have any issues.  We go through 6-8 rags and probably as many dish towels- we eat at home 3 meals plus snacks,  so I'm constantly washing down counters.  I have a toddler and she needs hands and face washed after most meals- new rag!  

• Like 2

We use Dobie pads and haven’t had an issue with stink.  We have a small suction cup stainless steel rack/holder for it that attaches to the wall of the sink, so it can drip dry in the sink and have air flow.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Scotch-Brite-Dobie-All-Purpose-Cleaning-Pad-3-Pack-MMM7232F/205609740

Edited by matrips

I think it's strange that they'd stink after just a few days.  I always get the Scotch-Brite yellow and green sponges, and they generally last me about two months.  I think the trick is to clean them thoroughly after each heavy use (cleaning up after a meal) with a drop or two of dish soap, and then rinse them thoroughly, and squeeze them hard so they dry quickly.  I haven't needed to put them in the dishwasher or microwave as long as I do that.

Now and then I'll sprinkle a little powder cleanser with bleach (like Ajax or Comet) on them and let them sit like that overnight.

4 hours ago, Storygirl said:

I only use dishcloths. My current sink has one large bowl, so there is no divider to use as a hanging/drying spot. I wanted a towel holder under my sink, but I didn't want to drill holes in the cabinet. So I bought a towel bar that attaches with Command strips.

My kitchen cabinets are brand new, and I wanted to protect the door from contact with the drippy cloths, so before I attached the towel bar, I stuck a clear piece of contact paper over the wood. So now I can hang my wet dishcloths and damp kitchen towels under my sink, on the back of the cabinet door.

I have a single sink, too. I found a caddy similar to this one; it has a bar that goes the length of the caddy, so that I can fold the dishcloth and hang it there.

Edited by Ellie
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Amethyst said:

I have a towel holder like this one.  It's designed for the bathroom counter, but I use it in the kitchen.

• Like 1

This is gonna sound strange, but natural loofah makes a wonderful kitchen scrubber. It's naturally anti-microbial. Food doesn't stick to it, but rinses right out under running water. It doesn't stain, doesn't mold or mildew, and it never stinks. It's also durable, and scrubs really well without scratching non-stick cookware. The inside fibers are tougher than the outside, so you get two levels of scrubbiness. I've been using mine for over a year. I put it in the dishwasher every once in awhile, just for good measure, but not because it needs it. Give it a try! (I buy a large full-sized Egyptian loofah from Amazon, and cut it in pieces for different purposes (shower, kitchen). It lasts a couple years.

(I still need to use a washcloth for the counters and stove, but since I don't clean "gross" stuff with it, it stays clean longer.)

ETA: I just remembered that I had a really bad problem with washcloths stinking after only a couple days (even after I started using a loofah for scrubbing). We replaced the faucet because it was leaking a little, and the stinky washcloth problem disappeared. I think there may have been some sort of bacteria in the old faucet. My dh thinks that the leak kept the washcloth wet too long. My faucet was 15 years old. Is yours old?

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ
  • Like 2

It appears that sponge cleaning measures can cause some bacteria to increase as others are killed off, leading to odor.  "Moraxella osloensis, is also known for generating malodor in laundry39. The abundant occurrence of this bacterium might be responsible for bad smelling kitchen sponges, too. As “special cleaning” measures even increased the relative abundance of Moraxella, cleaned sponges might paradoxically smell more often." https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-06055-9

7 hours ago, Amethyst said:

I just leave it in the sink or folded up on the edge of the sink. If you have one of those little sponge caddies, it should easily fold up and fit in there. It folds up really small and since it doesn't hold water it doesn't weigh much either. I'll try to take a photo tomorrow to show you the size when its folded.

I was sick of hanging mine over the faucet, so I got a suction cup sponge holder to put on the inside of the sink, and that’s where I stick my well-rinsed and well-wrung dish rag until it goes into its laundry spot at the end of the day.
My drying towel just gets pulled through the drawer handle next to the sink.  Drying mat gets folded and put in the drawer.

19 hours ago, Amethyst said:

After a few days of use, they stink. We try the put-in-the-microwave trick, but that barely does anything imo.  

How long do you microwave them for? We do two minutes. My favorite is Scotch Brite Stay Clean Scrubbers, but rinsing them and then getting them completely dry in the microwave seems to work for all types. 

I would be fine with dishcloths, but dh needs sponges and paper towels in his life. I am intrigued by the Swedish dishcloths, though. 

We don't have continual stomach issues, so I'm going to assume sponges are a better choice than raw chicken 😄

Thanks, everyone, for your advice. I put the sponge through the dishwasher for the first time and it looked like a brand new sponge when it came out! 

For those concerned with chicken etc on sponges, I totally agree. We are vegetarians so that’s not an issue, but I realize that still doesn’t make sponges a good thing. I’d be open to ideas of something more “natural” and safe. Maybe the dishcloth is the way to go. Now that I’ve seen so many lovey looking things to hang the dishcloth, maybe I’ll make the switch! 

On 10/10/2020 at 4:30 PM, Corraleno said:

Stinky sponges totally gross me out, so I switched to these polyester mesh dishcloths, which were recommended on a thread here a few years ago. They rinse out in seconds and since they don't absorb water like cloth, they don't need to be hung up to dry and they never stink.

ETA: They look stiff in the photo because they're folded, but they scrunch up just like any other dishcloth and they actually hold a lot of suds.

Just bought some, thank you! I use cloths for wiping counters, and a brush for most dishes, but some I just want a scrubby sponge or something for. I use Dobie sponges, wash frequently, and replace frequently, but these look interesting. 

I use a dishcloth du jour with a mesh net fabric on one side. I also have a sponge I use for some things. If I use the sponge that day, I run it through the dishwasher OR put it in a bowl and dump boiling water over it. It’s got that scratchy side so it scrubs better than anything, but I don’t trust it to be clean on its own. I keep a spray bottle of diluted bleach and would use that to ‘finish’ and counters I scrubbed with the sponge. I figure it’s good and gross BEFORE you smell it, so I don’t trust my nose in this situation. 

3 hours ago, Amethyst said:

Thanks, everyone, for your advice. I put the sponge through the dishwasher for the first time and it looked like a brand new sponge when it came out! 

For those concerned with chicken etc on sponges, I totally agree. We are vegetarians so that’s not an issue, but I realize that still doesn’t make sponges a good thing. I’d be open to ideas of something more “natural” and safe. Maybe the dishcloth is the way to go. Now that I’ve seen so many lovey looking things to hang the dishcloth, maybe I’ll make the switch! 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Double-Sided-Silicone-Sponge-Scrubber-Kitchen-Sponges-For-Dishes-Dish-Cleans-Pans-Pots-Fruits-Vegetables-Cleaning/884578324?wmlspartner=wmtlabs&adid=22222222222363030113&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=c&wl3=74629481308369&wl4=pla-4578229017784069:aud-808058292&wl5=&wl6=&wl7=& wl10=Walmart&wl12=884578324_10001042671&wl14=silicon sponge&veh=sem&msclkid=a0ef6def2a4213592d27326b503b2f73

I have found that a silicon sponge for when I want a sponge size/shape for a cleaning job works well.