Menu

With the cost of vanilla, what do you do?

Pegasus

I've been making my own vanilla extra for several years.  It lasts me a good while so it has been a couple years since I had to buy vanilla beans.  I just priced them and OUCH!  I'm not paying that.  So, with the cost of vanilla being several times what it was a few years ago, what do you do?

I'm thinking of cutting way back on my vanilla use.  I could make almond extract at much less cost. I think that would substitute fine into most things, and use vanilla only when absolutely needed for its unique flavor until costs come back down.

Any thoughts?

I've been rationing.  If I am making vanilla frosting, or something where the vanilla flavor is prevalent, I use it.  Otherwise,  I just leave it out.  Chocolate cake, chocolate chip cookies, brownies, etc. all still taste good without vanilla!  I do use almond extract or even peppermint this time of year.  

Edited by LuvToRead

10 minutes ago, Pegasus said:

I've been making my own vanilla extra for several years.  It lasts me a good while so it has been a couple years since I had to buy vanilla beans.  I just priced them and OUCH!  I'm not paying that.  So, with the cost of vanilla being several times what it was a few years ago, what do you do?

I'm thinking of cutting way back on my vanilla use.  I could make almond extract at much less cost. I think that would substitute fine into most things, and use vanilla only when absolutely needed for its unique flavor until costs come back down.

Any thoughts?

I have never heard of anyone making almond extract.  I may have to try someday!

I thought this review of the different types of vanilla beans, and their flavors was interesting.

I was just talking to a friend whose brother makes vanilla to give as gifts.  might not be that bad a deal even at these prices as you can refill the bottle, using the same beans.

I think a lot of things that call for vanilla don't really need it.  You can also add other kinds of spices and things if you feel there is a need for a flavour boost.

I used to have a giant bottle of Mexican vanilla till one of my kids dumped most of it out, now it's just a wee mason jar full.  I try and only use it where I really want a vanilla flavour.

I have 2 bottles of Costco vanilla.  One was over halfway used up, and I filled it up the rest of the way with imitation vanilla to stretch it.  The other is "pure"--but I still find myself using the mixed bottle almost all of the time, and no one cares.  When I empty it, I'll fill it with more pure vanilla as well as some imitation.

To those wondering what I bake to use so much, I have 10 kids, and when I bake cookies, etc., I usually triple recipes.  You go through vanilla quickly like that!  The positive twist is that the eaters do not really care about potential slight nuances of vanilla flavor, lol.

4 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

how many vanilla beans do you use per how much vodka?  or do you use bourbon?

I’m not the poster you quoted, but if you don’t mind a second opinion....I use two vanilla beans per 750 ml bottle of bourbon. It’s richer than vodka, although not quite as cheap. The vanilla beans at Kroger are less than $7/two, then we chose the Bourbon based on price, so altogether it was less than $20 for the bottle. We prefer to avoid imitation vanilla and this was the cheapest option. 

Someone else might know this, but years ago World Market sold vanilla beans for a really good price (less than $3 for two beans, I think). There isn’t a store anywhere close to us, so we can’t check for price there, but that might be a good place to get beans. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

Do you all top off your  bottle with fresh vodka to keep it going? I just bought beans for the first time in almost 10 years. They were at Costco and under $20. That doesn't seem high for years and years of extract.

I threw the beans away when I finished my first homemade batch. They were old and a little dry when I added them to the vodka though. When I’m done with the bottle we’re working on, I plan to add the beans to the next bottle (that’s already brewing). I don’t know what it will do, if anything, but I’m not going to just throw the beans away! We get them at Kroger for less than $7/two beans, so the price isn’t such a huge issue, but if it helps boost the flavor at all, it’s worth trying.

52 minutes ago, Lorien said:

I threw the beans away when I finished my first homemade batch. They were old and a little dry when I added them to the vodka though. When I’m done with the bottle we’re working on, I plan to add the beans to the next bottle (that’s already brewing). I don’t know what it will do, if anything, but I’m not going to just throw the beans away! We get them at Kroger for less than $7/two beans, so the price isn’t such a huge issue, but if it helps boost the flavor at all, it’s worth trying.

Yeah, I add the new beans to the old and just keep adding vodka as we use it up.

24 minutes ago, hornblower said:

Why not use imitation? Because taste-wise - esp in baked products -  apparently the synthetic is just as good so I'm wondering if there's another reason to avoid it? 
https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/real-vanilla-extract-versus-imitation-vanilla-extract-baking-cookies-article

Some of the imitation vanillas--like the Baker's Imitation Vanilla mentioned above--include propylene glycol, caramel coloring, sodium benzoate, and other things I try not to eat.  

• Like 4

Those that bake a lot do buy it in 16oz/half L bottles. They sell it in 8oz and 4oz bottles as well—but the greatest discount is in the bigger bottles.

The Costco price is actually quite a good one. For a similar quality vanilla at the grocery store, it’s about $22 for the 8 oz. The premium vanilla is about $40 for 8 oz.

I make a egg custard quite often with vanilla. It cooks at a low temp so a lot of the vanilla flavor remains.

I bought a pound of vanilla beans when the price had slightly recovered after the last big jump.  I've got two 1.75 liter bottles brewing with the last of those.  When that vanilla is used up, I'll throw all my leftover beans in one more bottle and that will probably be the end of them.  I started with like 6 beans in a bottle and then keep moving the old ones forward and adding some new ones.  I think I made 6-8 of the 1.75 liter bottles of vanilla and at the time I think I spent maybe $50 on my pound of beans.  I'll run out in about 2 years and I'm hoping bean prices will be a little better than.  (and for those wondering how I use so much vanilla.  I bake a LOT of cookies and brownies for fundraisers to send my kids to different activities we couldn't afford otherwise.  I've baked over 15,000 cookies in the last 12 years in addition to plenty of bars, brownies and cakes)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hornblower said:

Why not use imitation? Because taste-wise - esp in baked products -  apparently the synthetic is just as good so I'm wondering if there's another reason to avoid it? 
https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/real-vanilla-extract-versus-imitation-vanilla-extract-baking-cookies-article

I think people are conditioned to like the stronger artificial flavor because it's in so many processed foods. That's what they expect vanilla to taste like now. 

10 hours ago, BarbecueMom said:

Honestly, I suck it up and deal with it.  We never go out to eat, and a bottle of vanilla is still cheaper than what one meal out would be for our family.  I figure that’s an acceptable trade-off.  I have a bottle of homemade started that I can use after I finish the Costco bottle.

This is a really good point.  A $20 bottle of vanilla lasts a long time, and is cheaper than the eggs and butter in the recipes.  I think it is just the initial outlay of cash that feels painful.  

6 hours ago, happi duck said:

Ime, almond would really change the flavor if subbed in for the vanilla.  I don't think it would be bad just very different.

Personally, I can’t stand almond extract, and would go without before substituting. But I eat regulat plain almonds almost everyday.

• Like 1

I still make my own vanilla. I make so much that it lasts me several years. Even at a cost of $35 for 5 vanilla beans or thereabout depending on where you shop, it seems worth it for me. It also helps that dh got a large bottle of vodka (80 proof) at work as a "thank you" from a client.

I only use vanilla in some ice cream recipes and for Christmas baking.

https://www.beanilla.com/madagascar-vanilla-beans?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIq8bByqKw3wIVUFqGCh1cxAgbEAQYBSABEgJxuvD_BwE

Edited by Liz CA

Man, I had no idea. Tells you how much baking I do. We are a gluten free house, and I haven't mastered that kind of baking yet other than store bought cookies in the refrigerated section (Loren's is a great brand).

I have a about 1/2 a bottle of Costco vanilla in the cabinet and another one I found not long ago in a mixed box of kitchen stuff from when we moved. Pure gold, apparently!

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, hornblower said:

I agree. We have imitation and real. If baking at high heat, we use imitation, otherwise we use real. 

3 hours ago, G5052 said:

Man, I had no idea. Tells you how much baking I do. We are a gluten free house, and I haven't mastered that kind of baking yet other than store bought cookies in the refrigerated section (Loren's is a great brand).

I have a about 1/2 a bottle of Costco vanilla in the cabinet and another one I found not long ago in a mixed box of kitchen stuff from when we moved. Pure gold, apparently!

Or Silver. One article mentioned that the price of vanilla was several times that of silver now.