Menu

Fun thread: Who has the Oldest Car with Lowest Miles? Highest Miles?

TranquilMind

Anyone?  I think I have a couple of contenders. 

I have a 2003 van with 96000 miles.  That's low isn't it, for 14 years? 

And I have a 2012 with 12,200 miles.  5 years old? 

Anyone have a contender?  Or how about highest mileage vehicle still going?  I read about a Toyota that reached a million miles once so they gave him a free one. 

• Like 1

Until it got rear-ended last September and the insurance company totaled it, dh had a 1991 Miata (25 years old) with around 125,000 miles. (He now has a 2016 Miata bought used but obviously pretty much new).

ETA: about 5000 miles per year. He pretty much just uses it to commute to work. All the "serious" driving is done in a car that fits more than 2 people!

Edited by Ali in OR

Until it got rear-ended last September and the insurance company totaled it, dh had a 1991 Miata (25 years old) with around 125,000 miles. (He now has a 2016 Miata bought used but obviously pretty much new).

ETA: about 5000 miles per year. He pretty much just uses it to commute to work. All the "serious" driving is done in a car that fits more than 2 people!

Wow.  25 year old vehicle. 

My mom's Toyota Corolla had 305,000 miles on it when she traded it in. It was still running, but was starting to have more frequent and costly repairs. The dealer said they'd only had one other come in with higher mileage. 

We were second owners of a 1887 Buick LeSabre, and we sold it after putting a bunch of miles on it. We still see it driving around town occasionally. That car was so old that when you slammed the doors it sounded like solid metal.

• Like 5

We were second owners of a 1887 Buick LeSabre, and we sold it after putting a bunch of miles on it. We still see it driving around town occasionally. That car was so old that when you slammed the doors it sounded like solid metal.

Oh, c'mon now... were the previous owners immortal, that you're only the 2nd owners of a car *that* old???

(I know, that must have been a typo)

• Like 7

My husband had a '72 Chevy he sold two years ago when he upgraded to a modern truck. Mileage unknown because back then the odometer didn't have 6 digits so he doesn't know if it turned over 100,000 or 200,000. Yes, he was driving a 40 year old truck to work every day. It was a really neat truck but with no a/c it was really hot in the summer!

• Like 3

1989 Volvo - nearly 500, 000

1991 Volvo- over 400,000

Both odometers broke about 100,000 miles ago. Ds drives the '91. Leather seats are still nice, but dashboard is cracked. Heater and AC are perfect.

'89 wagon is used to carry wood, take the dog to the park, haul recycles to the dump. AC is bad, no heater.

Neither car has a speck of rust. People up here are amazed at that, until they hear they're southern vehicles.

Both will be mourned greatly when they die.

Wow! My 1998 Volvo is only at just over 200,000. Do you think it will go another 200,000? 

• Like 1

In Okinawa the Americans just kept selling their cars to each other as people pcs'ed in and out. in 2007 we bought two cars for $2,000. Mine was a '92 and 15 years old it had 62,000 miles on it.

But there is only so far to drive on a 75 mile long island that is only 5 miles wide at it's widest point. (Except for one little5 mile area that was 15 miles wide.)

• Like 2

We have a 2002 Town and Country with 120,000 on it. We bought it 6 months ago from the original owners and it only had 105,000 on it.

My DH's Passat has 205,000 on it. Just found out on of the axels is rusted out though and we're not fixing it.

Friends of ours are own a 15 passenger Ford Econoline van that used to belong to my family when I was a teenager. It's a 98(?) and has over 300,000 on it now.

• Like 1

I bought my first new car last year. It was time to say good-bye to my 1988 Volvo 540 with @650,000 (!) miles on it. I bought it used at the 155,000 mile mark long ago. My children were raised in that car. I loved it. It went to the old car buy back program.  I am now working on keeping my new car for the next 28 years.

• Like 3

2001 Taurus with 61K miles.  It was a steal that my dh found for our girls.  It had been sitting in a grandma's garage.

This year we sold a 2008 Dodge Ram with just around 10K on it.  

On the other hand, my one year old Altima already has 38K on it.  I drive a lot.

Edited by The Girls' Mom
  • Like 1

Wow, 400k and 500k miles!!

We've got a 2004, so 13 years old, Ford Focus that has almost 300k miles on it. Aside from tires, it has needed blessedly little in the almost nine years we've owned it and has been extremely reliable, despite being driven 90 miles a day most weekdays since we got it.

• Like 1

1931 Model A - Mileage probably close to infinity, but she still runs beautifully.

Yes, she, her name is Penelope. :) Our other old cars have names too. We are weird about some things, and car persosonification happens to be one of them.

My everyday car is nothing special.

• Like 6

1931 Model A - Mileage probably close to infinity, but she still runs beautifully.

Yes, she, her name is Penelope. :) Our other old cars have names too. We are weird about some things, and car persosonification happens to be one of them.

My everyday car is nothing special.

We have a winner!  I bet no one here has an older one! 

• Like 1

The car my DD drives is a '92 Ford Taurus with around 80,000 miles on it (haven't looked in a while). We bought it in 2000; at that time it only had 12,000m on it, because it was an older couple's car and they both used public transport for work. It was as brand new.

My van is a 2002 with about 205,000 m on it. I do want to replace that car, but I'm holding out for the time being. Now that DS is licensed, he drives that van to/from school.

My DH's work trucks have always gone for a long, long time, reaching well over 300k miles before he can't justify working on them anymore.

1994 Toyota Corona with over 325,000 km

My new-to-me car is a 1994 Toyota Corolla with less than 100,00km.

Dd drives our 1997 Ford Festiva with over 220,000 km

Ds#2 drives our 1998 Mazda Demio with over 224, 000 km

Ds#1 has a 1996 Mitsubishi Diamante with tons of km (over 200k for sure)

We don't "do" new cars in our family  :laugh:  When we got married over 25 years ago dh's car was a 1968 Fiat.  We had to up-grade the seatbelt each time we added a child to the family as it originally had no seatbelts.

• Like 1

Our Sienna is 2003 and has 167K. It runs perfectly though and we are planning to try at get at least 250K from it. My mechanic friend says he has seen Siennas from 2001-2003 with around 300K on the original engines.

My friend bought a new Civic when she graduated from college 14 years ago and it has 325K and still looks almost new on the outside. She said the year her business did super well for the first time she thought about replacing it but decided that with north of 300k she should see how long it could go.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 3