Menu

UPDATE post 118 Help me make hospital and NICU as good as possible

happypamama

:hurray: Congratulations. Perhaps not exactly like you planned it but it sounds like he is doing well.

Just curious: what is the issue with magnesium?

It helps get blood pressure under control, you don't get to hold your baby until it wears off. I'm not sure if everyone has the same experience, but my brain felt very foggy when I was on it and I had trouble with short term memory.l

• Like 2

It helps get blood pressure under control, you don't get to hold your baby until it wears off. I'm not sure if everyone has the same experience, but my brain felt very foggy when I was on it and I had trouble with short term memory.l

Yes, It's super sedating. Usually moms are on it to prevent seizures from her elevated blood pressure. Just too high risk. It needs constant patient monitoring.

Also, even if you don't have a hands free pumping bra, if you have a regular one you can rig it up to become one if you beg rubber bands off the staff. The Lactation consultant can probably do it for you, or you can google online, or maybe a nurse may know the trick.

If your pumping becomes painful you should ask for larger flanges. Usually they are too small.

You can do this!!

Edited by displace
  • Like 3

Oh sweetie, congratulations on your surprise quick little guy - I'm so glad he is strong and doing well and you were in place at the hospital to see those decals. Hugs and prayers for his strength and yours, mag sulfate is icky stuff!

Oh my goodness! So amazed at how your wanting to know the gender of the baby led you to today. So thankful he is a fighter! Prayers for recovery for you and strength for him to grow.

Miracles abound already!! The only reason I had a BP cuff at home is because DH had a serious injury last month, and his BP was high upon leaving the hospital, so they told us to get a cuff and check it. I only took mine because I was curious about how long the BP meds lasted. When it was high, I called the doctor, who adjusted the dosage. If I hadn't had the cuff, he'd be dead.

• Like 16

Miracles abound already!! The only reason I had a BP cuff at home is because DH had a serious injury last month, and his BP was high upon leaving the hospital, so they told us to get a cuff and check it. I only took mine because I was curious about how long the BP meds lasted. When it was high, I called the doctor, who adjusted the dosage. If I hadn't had the cuff, he'd be dead.

I am in awe how everything fell perfectly into place to give this little one a fighting chance. 

Does he have a name yet? Of course all of us board aunties want to know! 

• Like 4

Now's the time to ask about directed blood donation (if that's even something you're interested in). It's a process that takes days or longer, and your little one will probably need multiple transfusions in the future just because if size and age. You cannot donate because you just delivered. NICU blood is treated super special. To put in a donation for a specific baby and screen/treat it takes a while.

• Like 3

Clothes: nothing I have is going to fit this baby even if he gets to 34-36 weeks. I don't want to buy him a lot, but I want to have a couple of things for him in case he arrives soon. I gather that a really tiny preemie (right now he weighs about a pound) just wears a diaper for a while? Do those super tiny babies need caps or booties?

Definately check. I remember our NICU had really cute caps for the babies to wear.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Definately check. I remember our NICU had really cute caps for the babies to wear.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

My daughter was in NICU over a Christmas and some of the staff there had sewn Christmas clothes for all of the NICU babies. These were incredible, incredible human beings, who did everything in their power to make it feel like Christmas in that environment. 

This same daughter spent her first birthday in PICU and the staff there had decorated the entire place - posters, balloons, streamers, piles of presents. One staff member had baked a cake.

I'm getting a bit teary thinking of all the love and care we received as a family over that time.

Happypamama, you are constantly in my thoughts. Lots and lots of hugs from afar.

• Like 2

Now's the time to ask about directed blood donation (if that's even something you're interested in). It's a process that takes days or longer, and your little one will probably need multiple transfusions in the future just because if size and age. You cannot donate because you just delivered. NICU blood is treated super special. To put in a donation for a specific baby and screen/treat it takes a while.

They gave him some platelets earlier, and he responded well. I wish we'd had time for DH or me to bank blood for him, but we didn't. I'll ask DH what he wants to do about donating.

I talked to NICU an hour or so ago. He's doing well. Still on room air, no oxygen. His sugars were low but they got them straightened out. He's got a little cap on his head. They explained the honeymoon time and said he may well go downhill then. Every time someone new comes into my room, I panic that it's NICU.

• Like 2

He sounds like a fighter! I'm sending you my best wishes and prayers.

[equote name=happypamama" post="7352613" timestamp="1482336133]

Well, mamas. When I was checking my BP with my cuff at home yesterday, it would not stay down. MFM said to come in. Good thing I did because it was sky high. They got me on IV drugs and put baby on a monitor. He looked great! Active, healthy, etc.

And then at 1:45 this morning, he went from happily galloping horses to serious decels. The room filled with people. They put me under and called DH (who had gone home to sleep, although he hadn't been there long). At 1:56, they delivered him via c-section (thankfully not a vertical one!). 1 lb. 1 oz. 11" long. They were able to intubate him, thankfully, and he's in the NICU. They say he's doing okay. He needs a transfusion because his platelets are low. (Thank you for alerting me about that so I knew it was normal.). He apparently is a fighter and wants to move. They had to wrap him up snugly because he was grabbing his tubes. A little while ago, they told me he wasn't needing any oxygen. DH has seen him and has held his hand. I can't see him because I'm on magnesium for 24 hours. But DH brought me pics, and he doesn't feel like a stranger. I knew him immediately.

They use donor milk here, formula as a last resort, and the fortifier is human milk based too. The lady came down to get us to sign the consent form for donor milk and was impressed that I knew what fortifier was. Ha! I just hand expressed a few drops into a syringe for them to take to my precious newborn.

I'm glad his honeymoon period is good and he's so stable. That alone sounds great for being so young. Praying still.

Don't be concerned about you not donating: moms can't because of the pregnancy. Your DH will have to be the same blood type. Some families ask extended family to direct donate but it's not always possible. Usually the transfusions are very tiny and they try to use blood products from the same person (one adult blood donation can be multiple donations to a young NICU baby).

You may consider starting a medical journal for him. Start with delivery and every day or two write a note of what's happening in the NICU. It may be helpful in the future. Sometimes regular journaling can be helpful to you.

Thinking of you guys.

Edited by displace
  • Like 4

I finally got to meet him!! Wow, he's tiny. But he gripped my finger, and when I moved it, he gripped it again. He's fighting so hard! He's squirmy too. They're a little concerned because they had to up his oxygen, and they've had some glucose issues, all of which they did say they expected. His oxygen sats [is that the right term?] went up a little when he held my finger. ;). His glucose was low, and then it was high, but while I was there, the glucose started trending down. He got one treatment of surfactant and was about to get another one. That's about all I know right now. I'm pretty tired still (although feeling much better after the mag wore off), so I may or may not get up there when the docs round this morning. I'm stuck here for another few days. In some ways, he seems to be gestationally 26 weeks, and in others, he's more like 23-24.

It feels rather surreal. I wasn't that big yet, and I still felt him sporadically during the day, so it doesn't feel like a dramatic change yet. It's a little strange that the baby in the isolette is the one who was in my belly, but he didn't feel like a stranger to me. I knew him at once. He's mine.

These doctors -- they're so incredibly nice. They say they're just doing their job, but their actions -- they saved my baby's life. Everyone from my family doc who prescribed the 22 week u/s to my midwife who referred me to Hershey for reassurance to the MFM who didn't like my BP to the OB doctor who insisted we keep the fetal monitor on and who ultimately did the c-section -- at every step, they all played their part. I will never wonder if I should have seen someone else or done more.

• Like 38

It feels rather surreal. I wasn't that big yet, and I still felt him sporadically during the day, so it doesn't feel like a dramatic change yet. It's a little strange that the baby in the isolette is the one who was in my belly, but he didn't feel like a stranger to me. I knew him at once. He's mine.

It's clear he knows you as well. My thoughts and prayers are with him and you.

• Like 1

I told my dh about your little one last night and we included him in our family prayers.

I'm thinking about my own little guy--21 weeks tomorrow--and trying to imagine having to deliver him so very early. I'm so grateful for the series of miracles that got you and him to where you are and pray with all my heart that all continues to well. I imagine there will be some rough spots ahead, but it does sound like you have an excellent team in the job.

• Like 2

This thread is so timely, Ive never had a nicu baby and bow we are mikes apart so my sweet baby can the the help he needs. Cardiologist says his heart looks awesome but he has severe acidosis so they've dropped his temp 3 C for 72 hours to protect his brain and intubated him on oxygen to help his blood chemistry. I'm taking painkillers and pumping every two hours because I can't do anything else.

Hugs to you mama - I didn't think I'd be in this boat but I'm prayers my for both of us and our beautiful children now :grouphug:

I'm so glad you got to meet your beautiful boy!

The surreality can linger. I'm almost a year and a half post NICU and I still get the occasional twinge. Trauma is complicated.

Have they given you permission to start walking yet? I think walking as soon as you are able really helps your cesearean recovery. And it gives you something to do! I used a wheelchair as a walker and shuffled over to the nurses station to get apple juice and jello...

• Like 1

I finally got to meet him!! Wow, he's tiny. But he gripped my finger, and when I moved it, he gripped it again. He's fighting so hard! He's squirmy too. They're a little concerned because they had to up his oxygen, and they've had some glucose issues, all of which they did say they expected. His oxygen sats [is that the right term?] went up a little when he held my finger. ;). His glucose was low, and then it was high, but while I was there, the glucose started trending down. He got one treatment of surfactant and was about to get another one. That's about all I know right now. I'm pretty tired still (although feeling much better after the mag wore off), so I may or may not get up there when the docs round this morning. I'm stuck here for another few days. In some ways, he seems to be gestationally 26 weeks, and in others, he's more like 23-24.

These doctors -- they're so incredibly nice. They say they're just doing their job, but their actions -- they saved my baby's life. Everyone from my family doc who prescribed the 22 week u/s to my midwife who referred me to Hershey for reassurance to the MFM who didn't like my BP to the OB doctor who insisted we keep the fetal monitor on and who ultimately did the c-section -- at every step, they all played their part. I will never wonder if I should have seen someone else or done more.

Oxygens sats means oxygen saturation. 100% means that his blood is carrying all the oxygen it can ie it is saturated. 

We were always told that around 96% and up is normal and okay, and that there is always some variation eg during feeding, care, while being held etc.

My experience is a long time ago, so the technology has probably changed, but the sats monitor was either like a clip over a finger or toe, or it was taped in place over a finger or toe. A red light/laser is on one side and it shines through the finger/toe. It's good to know that if this slips out of place, even slightly, the readings are inaccurate. 

Our experience with oxygen is that the needs go up and down over time, and not to panic with every change in oxygen supply. My daughter finally kicked her oxygen habit at 10 years old.

I'm so glad to hear that you got to meet him and touch him. It's a fierce love, isn't it?

Thinking of you xx

• Like 2

Oxygen sats for super preemies may be lower than that and considered normal. You can ask what their goal is. They can fluctuate quite a bit and be ok. The sensors tend to be problematic.

My first was a NICU baby (although full term, she turned blue twice for medical personnel). That @%&@%)&@#% oxygen monitor was horrible - so glitchy! They had it set to go crazy if it went below a certain level (can't remember what %, sorry) and if she twitched, it would go off. We had to do a one hour "car seat test" to make sure she could go home with us. It was late at night and we just wanted to take her home - and 50-some minutes into the test, the stupid oxygen monitor went off.  :cursing:  The nurse was, thankfully, aware that it was the monitor messing up & not our kid being low on oxygen. We were able to bring her home that night despite her failing the test.

Many  :grouphug: to you and baby!

• Like 2

This thread is so timely, Ive never had a nicu baby and bow we are mikes apart so my sweet baby can the the help he needs. Cardiologist says his heart looks awesome but he has severe acidosis so they've dropped his temp 3 C for 72 hours to protect his brain and intubated him on oxygen to help his blood chemistry. I'm taking painkillers and pumping every two hours because I can't do anything else.

Hugs to you mama - I didn't think I'd be in this boat but I'm prayers my for both of us and our beautiful children now :grouphug:

Mama, I'm so sorry. I am praying for your little boy too. This thread is one I never expected to start, but I'm surely glad I did. I had no idea I'd truly need the NICU right away, but this thread has made things so much easier for me.

He's been up and down with glucose and how much oxygen today. He's got a different vent now that's supposed to be better for his lungs. They say the next two weeks are the biggest. He's just got so far to go. So much growing to do. I'm finding that it's good to be up there, but it's also really hard. It's not as hard as I expected to leave him or to see him with all the wires (although I'm excited to hold him, sometime between a few days and a couple of weeks from now) because I know they're good for him. It's hard because they know the ups and downs are normal, and they say everything is common for the age, but I lose it (internally) every time they change something, thinking something is really wrong. I'm very paranoid about his lungs, even though they actually don't think the fluid issues are insurmountable.

I've gotten him some colostrum, and tonight I was able to get him some actual milk, which was cool. I got to change his little diaper today too! DH brought up our 14 and 11yo, and they were able to see him and touch his tiny hands.

• Like 17

I'm so glad you got to meet your beautiful boy!

The surreality can linger. I'm almost a year and a half post NICU and I still get the occasional twinge. Trauma is complicated.

Have they given you permission to start walking yet? I think walking as soon as you are able really helps your cesearean recovery. And it gives you something to do! I used a wheelchair as a walker and shuffled over to the nurses station to get apple juice and jello...

Yeah, I'm allowed to get up and walk when I want. It was harder this morning but feels okay now. Not too horrible. I take it slowly and take a wheelchair up to see him. I was hurting a bit after about 45 or 60 minutes of standing so I could change his diaper but it wasn't horrible. I'm getting there.

• Like 4

I understand this feeling, as another Mama who nearly lost one (an 18yo, not an infant), but didn't because of being in the right hospital with the right people on the right day -- this thought will continue to comfort you, down through the years, when any kind of anxiety around the memory crops up on you unexpectedly. It's a blessing that stays in a mother's mind.

I'm so glad your dear little one is doing well.

• Like 6