Menu

Does it sound like the kids are getting enough for Christmas?

Janeway

We do not usually spend a ton for Christmas, but, we are cutting back even more this year due to unemployment. There is only one grandparent left so only presents from that one grandparent. Everything else comes from us. That grandparent always gives PJs to the kids. She also gives a book, but I had previously told her I would buy the books this year. 

For the kids..this is what they are getting. This is the total, including all gifts. Plus they will get candy in their stockings.

15 yr old..an ipod. I will go look for a bath robe as he asked for that too. 

12 yr old...new ballet shoes and tights, a couple Lego sets (one was $39 and the other was $10), and a nerf gun, a video game

7 yr old.... Lego set that was $39 (which he says he does not want, not sure why my husband thought he wanted it), a pack of Star Wars figures, and one Star Wars ship, a lessor expensive one.

5 yr old..Baby Alive, cloth diapers for the baby that I got off Etsy, PJs for doll that I got from a craft show, 

1 yr old..a V-tech car, and a couple of vehicle toys meant for babies but he never played with so they were still in the closet. I figured I would wrap them and include them.

For everyone put together...Uno and Qwirkle. I also got Milles Bornes but that is just another card game so I should probably return it.

Even looking at this list, I feel rotten.

I think it looks fantastic! Your very little two, especially. If your eldest is really looking forward to the iPod then he won't be expecting much else. It looks like your 12 year old is getting lots - and lots of variety. The only one I'd second guess a bit is the 7 year old. 

If you're worried about the amount of presents under the tree and want to make sure there's lots for people to open, then maybe some inexpensive food gifts? It might sound dumb (and it's definitely unhealthy!) but I always wrap up a box of really sugary cereal. I never buy it normally, but they'll get Fruit Loops or Captain Crunch or something for Christmas. 

If there's anything else they need - like socks or underwear or other clothing - I'll wrap that up, too. Sometimes I'll say it's from the cat, which makes it more fun to open.

I think you've done really well :)

• Like 4

Dealing with unemployment means that list is awesome!  Wow!  You were able to get a lot of stuff even without the money coming in.  You should be pleased.

An idea if you want the focus to be off of gifts:

What do you normally do on Christmas?  If you don't already have plans, do your best to make the day awesome by spending time together doing fun things that don't cost a lot.

Let the kids play with their stuff until lunchtime.

After lunch bake sugar cookies.  If the cookies are too expensive (butter and sugar and frosting, etc), make paper snowflakes.  They can stay up in January during snow season.

If you made the cookies, play UNO while the cookies cool 

Frost the cooled cookies with colored frosting, to make the fun extend longer. (expect a mess.)

Play Qwirkle.  

Make dinner

Watch a Christmas movie that you already have after dinner, eating the cookies

Fill the day with fun stuff to do letting kids play between activities.  The focus won't be entirely on gifts then, but on all the activities--especially using the games that you got as a family.  Let them know a few days in advance about the activities that will be part of the day so they're ready to enjoy the day and not surprised and resistant.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 4

We decided years ago that Jesus only got three gifts and none of our kids were better than Jesus. So three gifts each, one from santa and two from us.

Their stockings are small, about the size of a hand, so there's usually one little something and some candy and that fills it up.

We also don't sweat over spending the same dollar amount per kid. What matters is whether they will like/need the gift.

And *gasp* we also give used gifts. GameStop has great deals on popular used 3DS games and I see zero sense in paying new price and my kids don't care one bit as long as it plays.

One of the gifts a kid is getting this year was found used at a garage sale back in October. Really nice art supplies of all things. I was sure excited to luck upon that cache.

• Like 4

That looks like a good list to me for employed people.  I know lots of people who opt to do 3 or 4 gifts per kid each year out of conviction to stick to a limited budget or out of conviction to keep the consumerism down to a minimum.

I am truly sorry our culture's focus on stuff is causing you to feel bad when you've done a very good job providing a lovely Christmas for your kids.

I agree with not giving a kid a gift you know he doesn't want. Many dads aren't quite as knowledgeable about their kids as moms on issues like this.

• Like 6

I don't think you should feel rotten. I would return the unwanted Lego set and use the money toward something else (another poster suggested use the money toward the robe. That might make sense and/or a lesser expensive Lego set).

Have you been using camelcamelcamel? It can be helpful for tracking prices so you could paste in some Lego product links there and see what the normal price range is or get an alert if it goes down in price.

That list looks great!

In my experience, kids get more joy out of a few thoughtfully chosen gifts than out of many gifts. When there is an abundance of gifts, attitudes can shift somewhat from appreciating each individual gift to focusing on the number of gifts, sometimes leading to a sense of dissatisfaction because there could always be more.

Edited by maize
  • Like 3

That looks like a good list to me for employed people.  I know lots of people who opt to do 3 or 4 gifts per kid each year out of conviction to stick to a limited budget or out of conviction to keep the consumerism down to a minimum.

I am truly sorry our culture's focus on stuff is causing you to feel bad when you've done a very good job providing a lovely Christmas for your kids.

I agree with not giving a kid a gift you know he doesn't want. Many dads aren't quite as knowledgeable about their kids as moms on issues like this.

I agree with this, plenty of people not dealing with unemployment would love to be to afford so much for Christmas.

• Like 4

I think that list looks wonderful! I agree with the thought of returning the unwanted Lego set and getting something else, maybe the robe. Also agree that an itunes card would help round out the iPod gift.

• Like 1

It's a great list. I've done the cereal as well, when my daughter was younger--got one of the multipacks of individual serving boxes of cereal. One warning--don't let them have more than one if they aren't used to sugary cereal or you may create a gas molecule! That happened at our house. I usually do include junk food I don't usually buy---pringles, candy, etc depending on what she is into at the time. I find the dollar store to be a good source for that sort of thing.

One year we had less money than other years.  It may have been the year we were super frugal to try to get out of debt.

Anyway, I bought every single gift from yard sales.  We have yard sales in Oct-Dec here and I hit them every Saturday.   I found some great deals.

And you know what?  My kids STILL talk about that being the best Christmas ever!    

Go figure.

Your list is fine.  

I always add a bunch of little stuff and wrap it, like gum, candy, etc....and they enjoy that and it is cheap.  Sometimes I even add in little "gift cards" for things like:

Get out of a chore for the day

Get an extra 30 min. on Minecraft

Get out of doing one subject for the day

Free but they enjoy it.

ETA: In googling, I found some really nice decorative "coupons" to print out.

Here is one:

http://www.carrottopmom.com/?p=1300

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 4

My first thought when I read the title of the thread was to ask you, "WHY do you celebrate Christmas?" Meaning, at the very

center of the celebration, what's your family's purpose for it? Then ask yourself if the number of presents is tantamount to that purpose?

In any case, I think your list is wonderful! The littles won't remember and the others seem to be getting exactly what they requested.

Do not, under any circumstances, feel badly that you can't get them more. You've obviously put time and effort into all of it and your family 

will appreciate that! You're doing great, mama!

That list doesn't look skimpy to me at all — plus it sounds like each child will also be getting new PJs and a book. That's plenty! IME, most kids really only focus on the 1 or 2 gifts they really wanted, and the rest are nice things to open, but not that memorable.

I do agree with several PPs, though, about exchanging the unwanted Lego set for something he really wants. It really doesn't make any sense to give someone a gift (especially a fairly expensive one) that he doesn't even want. 

• Like 1

That looks fine! A few years ago when we'd been going through months of unemployment the girls basically just got free books I won in a giveaway and also I think stickers. So all this looks super special to me, especially given the context.

After all, your kids understand that it's not about getting the most loot.

• Like 1

Janeway, as a small business owner, believe me,  I know the ups and downs. But, have you considered for used items for stocking stuffers. Thrifts stores--Savers, Act and Goodwill in particular. Can get children toys, clothing, and sports equipment.  Expensive label children clothing look new for a few bucks, and 1/2 price sales are common.   Toys might be boxless, or need a little cleaning.   $40 Nerf guns can be had for $5-6.  puzzles and games for $2-3.  Expensive children's books for a couple of dollars.    btw , the 11 year old now only wears Nike and Under Armour and he has tons of it (really, tons) All acquired this way.  The only new clothing he has worn since the age of 6th months,  are shoes and undies or  received as gifts. .  You still have time.  If you plan a couple of months ahead of the holiday, birthdays, you will even more amazed at the bargains. make sure you keep receipts until you are sure items clean up well and work. 

• Like 2

I have wrapped homemade books with dice games and dice.(cost=$1)

Your 7 year old would probably love a homemade fort :example  You may have many of the things you need at home.  Put them together in a nice carrying bag.  Free-really cheap

bubble bath and toys-I have used plastic cookie cutters, plastic rings-cost$3

Earbuds for the 15 year old, a cheap cover for the ipod

Books from Goodwill

New cups with cocoa

Coloring books and the bigger crayons for the 1 year old

We do a couple larger gifts and fill in with gifts such as these.  Just come to Christmas with an attitude of thankfulness and the kids will follow your lead. :)

• Like 1

I don't think we'll have money to give gifts this year between living below the poverty line and a few emergencies that took our funds. Yes, your list is fine. Don't feel sorry for my kids, they have generous grandparents, I just wanted to offer some perspective.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 5

BTW don't feel rotten. When my dad went back to school my parents had no income. My parents prepared us for not getting presents that year. We still put up the tree and planned to go look at lights. They managed to fine some generic rollerblades for a steal and got each kid a pair. We were shocked Christmas morning to have a present. All of us kids say it was our favorite Christmas ever. It is one of the only presents I remember from growing up too.

The majority of your kids are old enough to understand that your husband lost his job and they may not get as much this year. If you talk to them and help them set their expectations it will help them not be disappointed.

• Like 3

I agree with everyone that your list is fine.  

I think we all need to kind of step back and remember the best gift is just time together enjoying the season.  And a lot of that you can do for cheap.  Looking at lights.  Playing games.  watching movies.  ice skating.  sledding.  building a snowman............

And step back and think will the kids really remember the gifts in 1 year, 5 years, 10 years.   Or will they just remember the fun times that you spent together as a family?

• Like 3