Menu

Do other countries have a "Black Friday" shopping frenzy?

creekland

I know Thanksgiving (US) is something just our country celebrates on that day (with Canada having their own Thanksgiving Day in Oct, etc), so with Black Friday coming the day afterward, my mind got wondering this morning...

Do any other countries have a single day where shopping seems to be king (for so many)?   Does it happen elsewhere - or mainly here?

Personally, I'm not part of it at ALL being very anti-materialism, and assume there are others who aren't as well, but obviously, it happens.  I'm just curious how worldwide it is (even on a different day).

• Like 2

Each year, Black Friday (yes, the day after the USA Thanksgiving) gets bigger and bigger in Denmark.

Interesting.  I know Canada shares our Black Friday, but I always thought that was because they shared our border with the majority of Canadians living relatively near the US.

It would never occur to me that Denmark would share it too - the same day anyway.  It doesn't surprise me that marketers pick a day (or more) to hype and encourage people to BUY.  It's good business savvy for them.

I went to the UK's Amazon last year where they had a Black Friday sale. It included an explanation about what Black Friday was. :)

I happily opt out of Black Friday each year. I live within walking distance of a mall and the traffic is insane from about now to New Years.

• Like 1

although that is also changing. Sigh.

I'm with you that I don't know that I like this type of change - adding in everyone's "materialistic" culture by adopting other country's big shopping days.  I don't mind individual culture (Boxing Day, etc) - that makes our planet fun IMO.  I don't mind adopting foods/recipes, words in a language, or even sports as that expands our world in what I see as a good way.

Maybe it's just my bias against glorifying shopping and buying though...  Who knows?

• Like 3

So, we do have Black Friday in Canada, but only recently, I can't remember seeing it at all here earlier than about 10 years ago.  There might be ads on American cable channels before that but no sales here.

I think it's become a thing mainly because online shopping started to impact Canadian stores who wanted to compete with the American sales, and maybe more tv commercials from the US with changes in tv service made it seem more desirable to consumers.

There has never been quite the crazy stuff ere and I've noticed that often the sales are all weekend or even all week.

Edited by Bluegoat
  • Like 3

This is the third year that we have black Friday sales here in South Africa.  I drove past the Mall today and the parking was overflowing onto the access roads.  The discounts here are not nearly as good as those I read about online in the USA.

• Like 2

I know Thanksgiving (US) is something just our country celebrates on that day (with Canada having their own Thanksgiving Day in Oct, etc), so with Black Friday coming the day afterward, my mind got wondering this morning...

Do any other countries have a single day where shopping seems to be king (for so many)?   Does it happen elsewhere - or mainly here?

Personally, I'm not part of it at ALL being very anti-materialism, and assume there are others who aren't as well, but obviously, it happens.  I'm just curious how worldwide it is (even on a different day).

We were traveling in England this past week and they have Black Friday sales and events. There were adverts up all over and on the radio and TV.

• Like 1

Let's hope that #OptOut catches on. REI closes their stores on "Black Friday", encouraging staff and customers to enjoy the outdoors.

Jane (who just returned from paddling a canoe)

I noticed that about REI and instantly thought I just might get my next hiking boots from there...

We opt out from a lot though.  For us, when we started trying to think of what we could get "the person who has everything they need," it became clear that they don't really need anything.  We do a bit more consumable things - favorite foods, experiences, etc.  We never did much for Christmas anyway - one gift per kid from mom & dad (joint) and one gift from Santa.  They only got one gift on their birthdays too - and sometimes that was a travel choice rather than a tangible hands-on gift.

They seem to have grown up just fine.  When we/they need something, we buy it at that time.  Same for (some) wants.

I suppose it's pretty easy to see that "Gift Giving" ranks dead last on my Love Languages testing.   :lol:

• Like 2

Germany does not. 

Of course, there is more shopping in the weeks leading up to Christmas, and stores are allowed to be open on certain Sundays (which is normally prohibited).

However, I just ordered something on Amazon.de and they referred to CyberMonday and pointed out their deals.

Boxing Day here .

Though I wouldn't be surprised if some shops start doing Black Friday sales . They might have to rename them though . The term Black Friday here is the name of a day of catastrophic fires where thousands of houses were destroyed and hundreds of lives lost in bushfires.

Edited by Melissa in Australia
  • Like 2

I'm in Canada and they've been doing BF for maybe 10 years or so. It's not nearly as huge as in the US, though. Deals are okay, but not insane enough to inspire much of a shopping frenzy. Most years that I've gone out on BF, there's no more crowds or traffic than at the ends of a month when paycheques and gov cheques coincide and everyone is flush again to shop. I do know a fair number of people who will go to the US to shop, but when you factor in a hotel for overnight and the fuel and the exchange rate, it's cheaper to shop at home. I think it's just an excuse for a mini-quasi-holiday to try to prompt people to spend. I'm not really a fan.

• Like 1

I remember the lead up to Chinese New Year's involving a lot of shopping when I lived in China. But not for any reason. And Chinese malls were often swamped with people, so it's hard to say that it was like Black Friday. And then things shut down. And everyone smashed up the flower market for some reason I never quite understood.

I heard an interesting story on NPR a long time ago (maybe a year or two ago?) about a study about productivity and holidays. In Christian countries, holidays generally mean increased sales and productivity. But in most Muslim countries, the big holiday is Ramadan, which leads to much less consumption and productivity. But increased happiness in general. It was an interesting comparison.

• Like 1

Do any other countries have a single day where shopping seems to be king (for so many)? Does it happen elsewhere - or mainly here?

Personally, I'm not part of it at ALL being very anti-materialism, and assume there are others who aren't as well, but obviously, it happens. I'm just curious how worldwide it is (even on a different day).

Typically in Australia the big sales occur on Boxing Day (the day after Christmas), however this year a lot of stores are running Black Friday promotions. I guess otherwise now people will purchase online from overseas when Black Friday is on.

• Like 1

Ok I went out and did some research for you all. So in England......

My kids had an event down the road from the big regional mall tonight. Dh and I typically go to the mall and have a coffee after doing a grocery shop at the M and S when they have this group event. The mall was normal for a Friday night which is pretty busy but not impossible. This is a typical big mall complete with an Apple Store, Lego, Build a Bear, Claires......different anchor stores but much would look familiar to Americans including the Krispy Kreme. Just about every store had a 50% off Black Friday sale on something. We didn't really take advantage. I bought groceries. ;)

• Like 2

Let's hope that #OptOutside catches on. REI closes their stores on "Black Friday", encouraging staff and customers to enjoy the outdoors.

Jane (who just returned from paddling a canoe)

ETA: fixed the hashtag

If I didn't have a foot injury right now I'd have been with my brother and SIL hiking up north in the woods today for #optOutside. 

• Like 2

It's so nice to know that someone else out there feels that way. Honestly, I am dead to gifts. I have no emotion over gifts, I just fake it. 

(The exception would be funny liittle things the kids made or wrote when they were little). A gift would have to be something like a year o/s or a house to break through my indifference. 

Now, acts of service ?! I'm swooning. 

The gift I actually dream of is a handmade bookcase, made by a loved one. 

I hear ya. 

I rarely want anything in particular as a gift because gift giving doesn't really resonate with me much but I do appreciate the intention behind others giving gifts. 

This year I do actually want something: Scandinavian dragon's head to mount on my kayak which I've named Desert Viking.  Alas, I haven't found one. 

I get choked up by acts of service.  

• Like 3

It's so nice to know that someone else out there feels that way. Honestly, I am dead to gifts. I have no emotion over gifts, I just fake it. 

(The exception would be funny liittle things the kids made or wrote when they were little). A gift would have to be something like a year o/s or a house to break through my indifference. 

Now, acts of service ?! I'm swooning.  

Absolutely!  I'm a time person.  Hubby knows darn well that he had better not EVER get me flowers or chocolate or jewelry or whatever (though I did ask for chickens one time for my birthday and he got me those - noting all the specifics regarding exactly what I wanted breed-wise, etc).  However, take the day off and spend time going on a hike with me or playing games or catching a movie (at home or elsewhere) and life is perfect.

• Like 2

NZ. This is the first year I have been aware of it. We usually have Boxing Day, Waitangi day, Easter, Queen's Birthday and Labour Weekend so I guess one more is fine. I went shopping not realising. The shops weren't that busy but the car parks were very full (and it was really wet).

• Like 1

Germany does not.

Of course, there is more shopping in the weeks leading up to Christmas, and stores are allowed to be open on certain Sundays (which is normally prohibited).

My son saw Black Friday sales yesterday where he is living in western Germany. He said the big sales are over now, but there are still lots of people out shopping. He saw the police directing traffic at a shopping center in Düsseldorf today.

It was Amazon that brought BF to the UK, then the other companies had to compete. It's pretty funny that Brits are 'celebrating' Thanksgiving.

This is probably the reason it started here too.  Online stores having to compete with Amazon and the regular stores competing with online.

Nobody celebrates Thanksgiving (yet)...

In Belgium we have 'Solden' (sales) in January and July.

The first day of the January solden has sometimes Black Friday scenes.

(Over the top crowded, and more people in a shop then should be allowed)

Until dd was 10yo I always bought her winter coat for next year very cheap.

Sometimes I wait for replacements until it is solden.

We saw black fridays deals this year too, but only for online purchases.

I think it has to day with our laws

• Like 2

It feels like we've(UK) caught Black Friday like it's a disease. But it's only been the past couple of years. The main sales are still January. I don't see much in the way of big black Friday sales in local shops. Its more online. Maybe a little on a few lines in the supermarkets. Some big chainstores like Next will have massive sales at other times that cause huge queues but I don't think of huge crowded sales as normal outside of January.

Edited by lailasmum
  • Like 1

Asked my brother this morning if Black Friday's in Turkey and he said no, he assumes the big shopping season will be closer to New Years', their big holiday season, complete with Santa's and New Years' Trees...

There were Black Friday deals at both Ankara and Istanbul airports on Friday (when I happened to be traveling) though I didn't see anything particular at the mall, though the "New Year" decorations are out in force (giant tree, santas, elves, gingerbread house, reindeer and angels). I suspect that by next year BF will be a thing in Turkey. Weird seeing it in the UK this weekend.

• Like 1

I have never shopped a Black Friday Sale until recently. My family doesn't care for madness or frenzy and even a regularly crowded store is overwhelming so growing up Black Friday meant avoid stores at all possible costs and most people I talked to would say the same thing although obviously there is a large chunk of the population who thinks differently. Then a  couple years ago when I realized I could get a really good deal online for something I already needed. Sometimes you really do need pants.  So yesterday my husband and I sat on the couch for awhile to do a little shopping. Mostly household stuff that has been on our want list for a long time and we have been waiting for a deal or saving up for.  I think many Americans get drawn in because they can get a deal on stuff they would already buy anyway but I do know that there are places in America where people shop for fun or just looking. I try to avoid looking until I have to because if you don't know it exists you don't realize you need it. 

All this to say that I can see why having companies like Amazon giving good deals on a specific day would spread the Black Friday plague. 

Edited by frogger
  • Like 2

Boxing Day sales here in Aus and I just hate them.

Everyone just got a ton of stuff they dont really need the day before on Christmas and the next day they are rushing out to the store to buy more stuff.

I'm always so over shopping by the time Christmas rolls around I am happy to stay away from the stores for weeks after and I always wonder how anyone even has any money to spend so soon after Christmas.😳

We had some shops advertising Black Friday sales this year...and yes they called them that. That is strictly the shops trying to import an American tradition as most shops dont do it till the usual time.

• Like 1

Everyone just got a ton of stuff they dont really need the day before on Christmas and the next day they are rushing out to the store to buy more stuff.

I got a chuckle out of a FB post hubby showed me.  It said something to the effect of how ironic it is that we have Black Friday right after Thanksgiving, esp since Thanksgiving is a day we spend being thankful for all we have, then Friday is a frenzy to get more stuff because we don't have enough.   :lol:

Follow on to my first reply in this thread. I mentioned this thread to my wife tonight. Here in Colombia, not only are "Black Friday" and "Cyber Monday" big deals, but she reminded me that they now celebrate Valentines Day here.  The big day is in September, the Day of Friendship and Love, but now, Valentines Day too.  Any excuse to have a sale in a store, the same as in the USA.  .

• Like 1