Menu

Confession: I'm a browser-tab junkie...

RegGuheert

How many tabs do you have open in your browser right now?

I only have two and I am suffering from withdrawal.   Occasionally my browser (Firefox) decides that I have too many tabs open and refuses to restore them.  That just happened this morning. :tongue_smilie:

Fortunately, Apple has decided that they are willing to fuel my habit by eliminating their formerly-debilitating limitations.  My first iPad would only give me nine tabs.  NOT ENOUGH!!  Then around iOS8 they went to 36.  Yes, I counted them...

But then came iOS 10:  It seems to be unlimited! :001_tt1: There's a reason more and more of my browsing is done on the iPad!

My family members tell me there is a 12-step program for people like me, but I insist that this is COMPLETELY NORMAL.  But, then again, I don't think I know anyone else like me IRL...

Any other browser-tab junkies out there want to come clean?

• Like 6

6 on my personal browser page and that's low.  It drives my kids crazy when they use my computer.  

On my person 2 browser page, where I deal with things for my advisory board, I have 4 open.

I leave them open to remind me to deal with something usually.  Right now I have a book list open to remind me to reserve some books at the library, information on preserving beets, email, FB, this page and a list of Canadian made gifts to review for possible birthday/Xmas gifts.

• Like 1

111 in this window. I have another window for long term things, mostly links related to the NYC high school application process. 111 in this window is a decrease - yesterday I had over 200 open, but I resolved to finally read some of those articles and post the still-current ones on Reddit.

You guys might all like this Onion article:  Accidentally Closing Browser Window With 23 Tabs Open Presents Rare Chance At New Life

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 10

111 in this window. I have another window for long term things, mostly links related to the NYC high school application process. 111 in this window is a decrease - yesterday I had over 200 open, but I resolved to finally read some of those articles and post the still-current ones on Reddit.

FINALLY! Someone posted a number over 100! Can I like your post more than once? (BTW, how do you know how many there are?)
When I read the article, at first I thought the author had lost their mind:

“Everything is going to be different from this point on. I can be anyone I want to be—I have a blank slate. Life truly begins right now.â€

"That's ridiculous!" is what I thought...then I realized this is The Onion.

The next sentence gave me GREAT relief that no NO ONE could be that dense.

According to sources, Greene moments later clicked “Restore Previous Session†in a brand-new browser window.

Unfortunately, that option was GREYED this morning.

RIP tabs.

• Like 1

I have 3 tabs open in Google Chrome as I write this.  Sometimes I have  more open, but my Wife and my DD think that drains Bandwidth (which I don't think is the case for Static web pages) and sometimes they will come in to check on how many browser tabs I have open and I will close them. Sometimes it is 6+ depending on what I am doing.  I have 3 web sites set in the browser settings at this time. One of them is a news web site I always go to. One of them has information about the next thing I need to tackle, after finishing my current priority task. And the other is to Track an envelope I mailed to the USA 2 days ago.  I have 2 of those 3 tabs closed now.  I suspect that if one had a lot of browser tabs open that it might consume more RAM from the machine and/or cause the browser to become sluggish or unstable after awhile, but am not sure about that.  

• Like 1

Sometimes I have  more open, but my Wife and my DD think that drains Bandwidth (which I don't think is the case for Static web pages) and sometimes they will come in to check on how many browser tabs I have open and I will close them. 

I think the answer is that some do and some don't.  That's a real concern if you have limited internet service.  We had that for many years, but we have had "unlimited" for the past few years.

The real issue on my seven-year-old laptop is that it doesn't have the processing capability to handle the number of tabs I often have open.  The fan comes on and it gets rather hot.  Browser performance suffers.  Enter the iPad Air 2.  That thing is SO much faster than my laptop.  It never gets warm and the battery lasts forever.  Amazing!

Just like giving drugs to an addict! :lol:

I had to count because I had no idea how many I have at the moment . . . 34. 

It drives my DH nuts but I find recipes I like and want to try but it might be a few weeks, I have a bunch open for instructions on a repair I need to make but I'm waiting for the part to arrive.  I've got a couple open for the Mcdonald twins (conjoined at the head little boys who were separated about a month ago) so I can follow their progress.  I've have quite a few open for items I'm price watching and/or researching so I'm ready if they go on sale on Black Friday.   So yeah, I like my tabs. 

Edited by cjzimmer1
  • Like 3

30 on my iPad, 20 on my phone. I'm not sure about the MacBook and iMac, because not only do I have two browsers going, there are multiple screens. And for sure in Chrome there are three profiles open: one for my school, one for my work, and one for DS11. Oh wait.... then there are the "private" tabs on the phone and iPad....

• Like 1

Right now only 7. I usually have more, but not tons. I start closing them when the tabs start getting too small because then I don't know which are which anyway so it doesn't help me. But DH closed my window the other day so I lost all the tabs I had open. He was trying to help because I'd been christmas shopping and he didn't want the kids to see anything. I had a sense of panic as I tried to remember what other tabs may have been up besides the christmas ones. I guess I should have taught him that my mailbox is the far left tab so you can click that any time to quickly get away from a present-filled screen.

I just opened new tabs until it looked about like I often have it and I now have 20 open, so I'd guess 15-25 is my norm. 

• Like 1

6 tabs on my little Lenovo laptop.

The computer guru at my previous work once sheepishly admitted that he crashed his desktop top-of-the-line Mac by having over 300 tabs open. How can that even be done?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1

But DH closed my window the other day so I lost all the tabs I had open. He was trying to help because I'd been christmas shopping and he didn't want the kids to see anything. 

:svengo: What?!  Doesn't he know that is a punishable offense in 23 states?

I had a sense of panic as I tried to remember what other tabs may have been up besides the christmas ones. 

I can assure you based on personal experience this is a VERY NORMAL response.  I STILL do know know what tabs I am SUPPOSED to have open. :willy_nilly:

Right now I have ten open and that is A LOT for me, but I am doing my NANOWRIMO in chapters and each chapter is a google doc, so nine tabs for that are open. I like clicking right to where I can see if I have a question. Scrivner would probably help, but I don't want to spend time I could be writing learning to use Scrivner.

• Like 1

11 on my desktop, 5 on my phone (and it's about to be many more, as I just opened up the forum, and haven't opened all of the threads I'm interested in reading in new tabs yet !). It drives my husband crazy, but it's my to-do list! Things I want to remember and refer back to, things I'm thinking about doing, things I want to show DH or DS, etc. 

I wonder how this correlates to email inboxes? I'm feeling pretty good about only have 37 messages in my inbox right now. DH, on the other hand, has about 6 emails in his inbox, and frequently just closes his browser, because he's closed all of the tabs. I really don't understand how someone can live like that.  :lol:

• Like 1

FINALLY! Someone posted a number over 100! Can I like your post more than once? (BTW, how do you know how many there are?

I set up my browser so it always asks if I'm closing more than one tab. When I hit the x to close the window, it tells me "You are about to close 111 tabs. Do you wish to continue?" and I say no.

• Like 3

I only have 9 open now but I just closed a bunch because I made a decision. It's not uncommon for me to have 4-5 minimized windows each with 15+ tabs- especially at Christmas! My DS makes fun of me but I need my tabs!

My computer died a few weeks ago and I could only use my ipad. It was hard. Not enough tabs, and I couldn't organize them into different windows. But worst of all, I have no idea what was in all the open tabs that I lost on my computer. What am I missing?? I feel lost...

• Like 1

I cannot speak for others, but I use The Force to tell which tab is which! :)

Same.

I "only" have 27 this morning, so most of them have visible icons.  There are several Etsy and several docs, but I know the order in which I opened them, so I'll more than likely click on the proper one.

When it gets too cluttered to see icons, I still have a general feel of where things are.  Much like my crazy desk, cluttered purse, and overstuffed files.  I can put my hands on whatever I need, so long as nobody messes with my mess!

• Like 1

One more now than before I clicked on this thread (though I will close this tab after I post this).

I currently have 12 tabs open lol. 

Twelve is the number I can see in the lineup without scrolling left or right. IIRC there are about half a dozen to the right. I don't know how many to the left, but I'm pretty sure the oldest one has been open for a few years. I do go through them and close some every once in a while, but there are way too many for me to bother counting. Somewhere between 'dozens' and 'a couple hundred'.

I set up my browser so it always asks if I'm closing more than one tab. When I hit the x to close the window, it tells me "You are about to close 111 tabs. Do you wish to continue?" and I say no.

See, that's too scary to do... what if my hand twitches and I hit 'yes'? No way!

My wife's browser used to have a thing that would just tell her how many she had open, without having to pretend to close them.

• Like 2