Menu

Yuge lines this morning. Yuge!

Moxie

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They were long at 7:00, but have receded dramatically at the polling place I can see from my back window. I plan to head over about 10:00, because I imagine they'll get larger at lunchtime and once people start coming home from work (I don't vote early because I can just walk across the street on Election Day. Most years, I can just walk in, no waiting required).

• Like 1

We got to ours about 7:05 or so (opened at 7).  We were home again by 7:36.  The line was a good length but they had 6 or 8 booths so it went fast.  Early voting lines were consistently 45 minutes to 2 hours.  Bonus, there is a PokeStop and a gym accessible from where the line to vote was so we had entertainment while waiting.

• Like 2

I've never had to wait in a line before where I vote.  I was reading this morning that some lines are already 1/4 mile long and food trucks are there.  I've never seen a line like that!  Why don't they add more polling sites in those areas?  I also heard that during the last presidential election, people were still in line voting in California at 11pm when Obama was giving his acceptance speech.

• Like 3

I've never had to wait in a line before where I vote. I was reading this morning that some lines are already 1/4 mile long and food trucks are there. I've never seen a line like that! Why don't they add more polling sites in those areas? I also heard that during the last presidential election, people were still in line voting in California at 11pm when Obama was giving his acceptance speech.

Food trucks! Brilliant!

• Like 2

Not everyone will wait in lines like that and their votes will be lost. It might be a lot of people, enough to make a difference in a tight election.

I honestly think folks could/should have anticipated lines like this. Many states require employers to grant reasonable time off to allow voting. If they did not make the effort to plan ahead or make arrangements to commit time to voting, or submit an absentee ballot, I would not consider them disenfranchised, but rather poor planners. Not like this election snuck up on anyone.

• Like 6

True. Long lines = disenfranchised voters. Sadly, this is often a tactic.

Whose tactic?  Someone intentionally creates fewer voting places?  The same ones have been around for decades here and some are busy and others just are not.

Florida has enormous lines today, for example. More people had voted by 9 a.m. than through the entire election last time. 

• Like 5

Whose tactic?  Someone intentionally creates fewer voting places?

Someone intentionally doesn't add more in places where more are needed, yes. If you can create longer lines in areas where people predominantly vote your none-preferred party, then that benefits your party. Similar to all the BS behind gerrymandering.

• Like 22

I honestly think folks could/should have anticipated lines like this. Many states require employers to grant reasonable time off to allow voting. If they did not make the effort to plan ahead or make arrangements to commit time to voting, or submit an absentee ballot, I would not consider them disenfranchised, but rather poor planners. Not like this election snuck up on anyone.

Many parts of the country have fewer polling places this time around though, so arrangements that may have sufficed last time won't work so well this time, because larger amounts of voters are having to use fewer polling places.

Edited by Xuzi
  • Like 4

I think it is very naive to think that low wage workers, who often work several part times jobs, can count on their employers giving them time off to vote...especially if the lines are so long that they would need to wait several hours.  People who are living hand to mouth, getting paid under the table and working in high turnover jobs primarily for tips simply cannot afford to ask for or take several hours of unpaid time off.

Our state does not allow absentee voting by choice.  I mean, yes, you can lie about having surgery that day or whatever, but I don't think that lying should be required in order to cast your vote.  Plus, you have to request an absentee ballot, in writing, either online or at your county clerk's office, so that requires either internet access or travel and a time commitment as well.

Wendy

• Like 18

There wasn't a line at all when I went to vote. In fact, I was the ONLY person there voting in my precinct. I walked right up to the table, showed my ID, signed, got my ballot, voted, and left and still didn't see another person at the table. Several different precincts vote at my polling place and a few of them had a line of about 3-6 people. Maybe lots of people voted early.

• Like 1

Whose tactic?  Someone intentionally creates fewer voting places?  The same ones have been around for decades here and some are busy and others just are not.

Florida has enormous lines today, for example. More people had voted by 9 a.m. than through the entire election last time. 

Apparently you've missed out on voter suppression efforts in NC. Probably other places, too. But we appear to be the poster child for it. Also, based on what DH and I observed when we went to vote (separately and at different locations) was that the number of voting booths/machines has been reduced by 25 percent from previous years. And I have no doubt that's yet another attempt to increase wait times in order to suppress voting.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 9

Well, that's bad and hurts everyone, not just the intended candidate. 

Should be a quick process.

Let me give a made-up example. In A, people vote much more pink than in B, where people vote much more yellow. If you make the lines in A longer than in B, then that mostly hurts the pink candidate, whereas if the lines in B are longer, then that hurts the yellow candidate.

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 6

Let me give a made-up example. In A, people vote much more pink than in B, where people vote much more yellow. If you make the lines in A longer than in B, then that mostly hurts the pink candidate, whereas if the lines in B are longer, than that hurts the yellow candidate.

One of my favorite things about living here (not sure if it is this state or just this county) is that we can vote at any polling place. It is awesome!

• Like 1

One of my favorite things about living here (not sure if it is this state or just this county) is that we can vote at any polling place. It is awesome!

It's an improvement, but it does require transportation (time & ability to walk, time & money for other means).

ETA: I mean additional time compared to your closest voting place (assuming your assigned place is closest).

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 1

Let me give a made-up example. In A, people vote much more pink than in B, where people vote much more yellow. If you make the lines in A longer than in B, then that mostly hurts the pink candidate, whereas if the lines in B are longer, then that hurts the yellow candidate.

I understand this.  Let's hope people power through today and then address that kind of nonsense. 

It also affects the elderly to a great degree, those who don't try to vote early, anyway, and not every state allows that. 

• Like 4

Another perk to living in a less dense area - "yuge" is relative.  We were there 22 minutes before polls opened and were #17,18, & 19 for voting.  The guy in front of us said it was the longest line at opening that he had seen in 42 years of voting.  We were out in our car 12 minutes after polls opened.  Granted, we were toward the front of the line, but once polls opened, it moved along at a good pace.

I can't fathom waiting hours.  Most of our wait was because we got there before polls opened (since we wanted to get started on our trip early).

Wow!  In my tiny little town, I usually walk in to a completely empty room with a few poll workers looking at me expectantly (because they're bored and now have something to do.)

I usually head over to the 5 booths and scratch in my answer and leave.

Today, there was an actual line.  We waited for about 20 minutes, which is strange for around here.  

I can't even imagine the lines in other places.  So glad I live in this tiny little town.  I bet that it'll be packed after work hours, though.  

• Like 4

And, if by any chance, area A is less affluent than area B, then that even further disadvantages the pink candidate, because for the working poor, choosing to wait in a long voting line might literally mean choosing to lose their job or not have money to feed their children.  White collar workers and stay at home moms, OTOH, are much more likely to be able to devote several hours to waiting without significant inconvenience.

Wendy

• Like 14

Whose tactic? Someone intentionally creates fewer voting places? The same ones have been around for decades here and some are busy and others just are not.

Number of registered voters have increased a little, last I read :) what's been around for decades might not cut it.
  • Like 1

Oregon has had vote by mail, and only vote by mail, for over 15 years and it works very well. I know our senator Ron Wyden is working to make this national. Everyone should have a chance to vote in an easy manner--no ridiculous hurdles to jump over, particularly those hurdles that suppress voting by certain groups. Having to wait in a long line to vote disproportionately hurts those without generous employers, those who would need to find childcare, older folks (I heard a story of a 70+ year old woman having to wait 3+ hours), and the disabled. And yes, there are states that don't want voting to be easy--they want it to be something that is easier for the rich, well-educated, establishment people than for those who aren't in those groups. Because they want to stay in power.

• Like 4

Oregon has had vote by mail, and only vote by mail, for over 15 years and it works very well. I know our senator Ron Wyden is working to make this national. Everyone should have a chance to vote in an easy manner--no ridiculous hurdles to jump over, particularly those hurdles that suppress voting by certain groups. Having to wait in a long line to vote disproportionately hurts those without generous employers, those who would need to find childcare, older folks (I heard a story of a 70+ year old woman having to wait 3+ hours), and the disabled. And yes, there are states that don't want voting to be easy--they want it to be something that is easier for the rich, well-educated, establishment people than for those who aren't in those groups. Because they want to stay in power.

A friend (in another state) just posted that the poll workers wouldn't let her take her 19 month old into the voting booth with her. They said they were just following the law. That seems crazy to me. I've voted with kids many times.

A friend (in another state) just posted that the poll workers wouldn't let her take her 19 month old into the voting booth with her. They said they were just following the law. That seems crazy to me. I've voted with kids many times.

That's ridiculous. Maybe she should have said the child was helping her vote since you're supposed to be able to have someone assist you. I hope she challenged that assertion. Are the poll workers volunteering to provide childcare now?

Thankfully we've had vote by mail since my kids were small. I would have gladly taken my two non-disabled kids with me for the learning experience--at any age (if allowed). But there is no way I could have taken my disabled dd during some years. Seizures, screaming, possibly waiting in cold or rain--it just wouldn't have been possible.

• Like 1

I would call the police on the spot if this happened.  Hell, no.

I would demand to vote in the open and hopefully get witnesses too. 

Edited by TranquilMind
  • Like 2

I voted with no line.  The poll workers asked me why I didn't bring "the babies."

I do take them sometimes, but I had heard that there *might* be lines, so I didn't want to take all of them for that.

There are occasionally lines where I live.  The '08 primary between Obama and Hillary caused an hours-long line.

I like vote by mail as an option but not an exclusive option. I lose stuff that comes in the mail, get jam on it, forget to return it, etc.

I'm glad I have the option of going to a polling place in addition to the mail in option. My county did that this year--mailed everyone a ballot, but also has walk up polling available.

Edited by maize
  • Like 3

I've never had to wait in a line before where I vote.  I was reading this morning that some lines are already 1/4 mile long and food trucks are there.  I've never seen a line like that!  Why don't they add more polling sites in those areas?  I also heard that during the last presidential election, people were still in line voting in California at 11pm when Obama was giving his acceptance speech.

I've also never had to wait more for than 3-5 people ahead of me.  This morning I got there just after 7:00, and actually had to wait a bit in the parking lot since such a volume of people were there... but once I got inside there were so many workers and booths that there were no lines at all.

It's not population density (person per square mile) that matters to line length; it's the density of polling places to population.  More densely populated areas need to have more polling places (or more workers and booths within the polling places) to even out the lines.

My state doesn't have early voting or mail-in voting; and "I'm anticipating long lines" is not technically a valid reason to justify an absentee ballot here either.  

Your point that the ability to utilize arrangements like early and mail-in voting protects against voters' being precluded from voting is a good one, though.  If such provisions were available everywhere I'd be less concerned about disenfranchisement through uneven density of polling places to population.

• Like 11

I heard we don't have a line here, but there are no "I voted" stickers. Boo.

They didn't have any stickers at our place either  :sad: We got there at 6:40a and by the time the door opened at 7a, there was easily 50-60 people behind us.  We were done within 20 minutes. Not bad!

SaveSave

Edited by jjeepa