Menu

Yuge lines this morning. Yuge!

Moxie

5 people in line when I arrived at 2:50 (when all the ps moms were picking kids up from school.)   I immediately put my early ballot in the early ballot box which was almost full and on top of another full early ballot box and then I was done.  The worker said to me, "Those go over here.  It's the only way to vote."  Amen, brother! Quick and easy. It's ridiculous that every state doesn't have that option for people who want it.  Mail it in, walk it in, fill it in in the booth, vote early, vote on election day, you pick.

• Like 2

Well it's not that easy for election workers to know in advance how many people are going to show up to vote.  It's always trial and error.  I don't agree with the assumption that it's necessarily racism or cheating.  If a ward hasn't historically turned out then how is the board of elections supposed to know they are going to turn out in force this year?  And not only that, but how many are going to show up at any given time of the day.

I haven't heard of any lines being reported today in my county, which has many many wards that are mostly non-white and mostly vote dem.  And we are a swing state.

I agree that everyone who wants to vote should be able to vote.  I don't agree that a little effort or waiting is disenfranchisement.

Edited by SKL

Every election worker knows how many registered voters their precinct has. They should staff according to that number. It's not difficult at all to figure out. There is especially little excuse in my state bc we are assigned polling stations that we have to use, and they also have that number. So they don't even have to staff according to how many are in the entire precinct, but just assigned to their specific polling station.

• Like 5

Well it's not that easy for election workers to know in advance how many people are going to show up to vote.  It's always trial and error.  I don't agree with the assumption that it's necessarily racism or cheating.  If a ward hasn't historically turned out then how is the board of elections supposed to know they are going to turn out in force this year?

I don't think *every* instance of long lines is necessarily racism or cheating. I do think that they should err on the side of overstaffing and having too many booths. Voting is not a business where you try to make sure your supply matches demand as closely as possible in order to maximize profit. I'm sure the govt wastes money on less important matters every day.

• Like 8

I thought there were places where you could register on election day?

Yes, that is true where I live.  People who have never voted can show up and cast a ballot.  Which is great, but not so easy to predict from hour to hour.

"It also alleged that some people who were not in line when polls closed were able to vote. Nevada law allows people already waiting when the polls close to cast ballots."

This is from a CNBC article about this.

Staying open for folks in line is one thing (and important)...staying open to let more get in line after the polls have closed is another and not something either party should accept.

I expect they'll figure things out...

The early voting rules are different than the election day rules per NV state law. Some polling places were scheduled to open until 9pm and officials are permitted to stay open longer.

Here's an excellent explanation from the Clark County Registrar:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/politics-and-government/keeping-early-voting-polls-open-past-closing-broke-no-laws-official

• Like 1

Depends on the purpose of the ID, but a passport does not serve as proof of address. We run inot this at the library frequently, when people get irritable that we can't issue a card on the spot because we have to verify they live in the county. A passport proves identity, but not whethe you are voting in the right precinct.

A passport was on the list of acceptable single ID. There was another list of documents that could be used if you did not have one of the things on the single ID list, but you needed two documents from that list. Military ID was another option on the single ID list, that is another that establishes identity but not address.

The poll workers were completely ignoring their own list.

• Like 1

Not in my state. They do not register within 24 hours of a vote. And it can take longer than 24 hours to get registered bc you have to fill out the paper work and get it approved, once it's approved, your voter registration card is mailed to you. All of which usually doesn't happen in 24 hours.

We had a line for the first time in years. But we went early with the morning rush and at the last minute they changed our polling place so two polling places were together in one. It still wasn't too long a wait. We chatted with a political journalist who was new in town and saw lots of pantsuits. I wore a suffragette sash.

In general, one party does better with overall more turnout and access. If that party is in charge where you live, often all the polling places are more accessible and better set up regardless of race, though not always. In pretty much every single modern democracy, neither party is allowed to control so many aspects of the voting process. The US is extremely unusual in this and it's generally seen as very undemocratic (little d, not party D).

ETA: Oh, and we might be on French TV. France24 was filming the voting and interviewing people while we were in line.

Awesome! Did you speak French? 😀 🇫🇷

• Like 1

Ok what time do they announce final results? I can't remember. I read up thread where someone said people were in line to vote at 11pm. Wow!

Depends on how close the race is, especially in key battleground states like Florida. If things are close it takes longer before enough votes are counted to call it.

Most likely we'll know by maybe 10:00 PM Pacific time, maybe sooner but it really varies. Could be later.

• Like 1

Even if that were true though, they could still use the most recent registered numbers to decide staffing and such and still be much less likely to have a long lines problem even if suddenly a bunch of people were to register the same day.

ETA: If anything I think if they know that people can register the day of, it is even more imperative they presume the registered numbers than to go by previous turn out.

Edited by Murphy101

Every state I've ever lived in required registration anywhere from 30-60 days out.

Ours isn't that bad, however, you can't change your party affiliation within that time frame of a primary vote in my state. Registering and changing other information can be done much closer.

Every state I've ever lived in required registration anywhere from 30-60 days out.

We're allowed to register at the polls here in Minnesota. Dh had to today because apparently he hadn't registered since we moved. You don't even need an ID to register if you have someone to vouch for you. :)

Edited because it quoted the wrong person.

4 years ago I had no valid form of ID. My diver's license was lost, my passport had my maiden name and previous address, and I had no other state issued ID. But in my state you can sign an affidavit saying you are who you are.

So, the woman in front of me had no valid form of ID on her but the polling person saw her work badge dangling on her shirt and asked to see that. She accepted that. I found it odd but didn't care until I was hounded for 10 minutes why I had no id from the same woman. I said, " well I can sign an affidavit and vote." She asked me if I had my credit card, ss card, insurance card, a work ID, and a few other things. While I did have some of these my response was, "that is not a valid form of ID. But I can sign an affidavit." It was an odd experience. Eventually I asked someone else for the affidavit because she kept ignoring me when I said I could sign one.

Edited by hjffkj
  • Like 1

Even if that were true though, they could still use the most recent registered numbers to decide staffing and such and still be much less likely to have a long lines problem even if suddenly a bunch of people were to register the same day.

ETA: If anything I think if they know that people can register the day of, it is even more imperative they presume the registered numbers than to go by previous turn out.

But even so, they aren't going to be able to always get it right from hour to hour.  I mean there is a limit to how many polling booths can be expected to be manufactured and set up "just in case."

guys, acc to multiple twitter sources there's an active shooter situation at a polling station in Cali.

:(

"One person was killed and at least three others were wounded Tuesday in an active shooting near a polling place in Azusa."

"Azusa Union School District issued a lockdown for Slauson Middle and Mountain View Elementary schools about 2:15 p.m., officials said. A nearby daycare center and preschool was also locked down.

Los Angeles County Registrar Dean Logan said the shooting was impacting two polling stations at Memorial Park, a preschool, and Dalton Elementary school."

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-azusa-shooting-injuries-20161108-story,amp.html

:(

"One person was killed and at least three others were wounded Tuesday in an active shooting near a polling place in Azusa."

"Azusa Union School District issued a lockdown for Slauson Middle and Mountain View Elementary schools about 2:15 p.m., officials said. A nearby daycare center and preschool was also locked down.

Los Angeles County Registrar Dean Logan said the shooting was impacting two polling stations at Memorial Park, a preschool, and Dalton Elementary school."

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-azusa-shooting-injuries-20161108-story,amp.html

The shooting was not AT the polling center but NEAR one...

Guys, just for tonight, I'm deleting everything that seems designed to start a fight (or quoted such a post). If that wasn't your intention, sorry, but I've had to already close down/delete SO much that violates our non-politics rule that I'm running out of the energy to discern. 

SWB

Guys, just for tonight, I'm deleting everything that seems designed to start a fight (or quoted such a post). If that wasn't your intention, sorry, but I've had to already close down/delete SO much that violates our non-politics rule that I'm running out of the energy to discern. 

SWB

I hope there is no more violence tonight but that's unlikely. Praying for our country and the safety of all those exercising their right to vote freely, without coercion, and without fear :(