Menu

Do you wear a bra to sleep in?

Tree Frog

267 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wear a bra to bed?

• I am between 20-30 years old and do not sleep in a bra.
    • I am between 20-30 years old and sleep in a bra.
    • I am between 30-40 years old and do not sleep in a bra.
    • I am between 30-40 years old and sleep in a bra.
    • I am between 40-50 years old and do not sleep in a bra.
    • I am between 40-50 years old and sleep in a bra.
    • I am between 50-60 years old and do not sleep in a bra.
    • I am between 50-60 years old and sleep in a bra.
    • I am older than 60 and do not sleep in a bra.
    • I am older than 60 and sleep in a bra.
    • Obligatory other.

There is a back story, but this is something I've been curious about for a while. My dd's both wear their bras to bed, but I don't. I never have. I'm not a very large busted woman (C cup, but barely b when I weighed less.) I find it uncomfortable and will only if there's a specific reason. I grew up thinking all women have more or less the same body parts, so to go braless when I go to bed around other women was no big deal. That's what I tried to impart to my dd's, but they love their bras. :) Something happened this week that makes me question whether bra or no bra is due to age or modesty. Or maybe my "comfortableness"  just makes me an old person.

So do you wear your bra when you go to sleep?

Edited by wilrunner

The only time in my life I wore a bra to sleep in was when I was breast feeding and only because I leaked a lot (bed kept getting wet) and I was HUGE so it was uncomfortable having them flop around.

I HATE sleeping in a bra and always have.  I strip that sucker off as soon as is humanly possible.  :)

• Like 3

I am 45 and yes, I have a particular type of bra that I call my sleep bras. They are the stretchy kind from Walmart that I think were marketed as "The Ahhh Bra" or something like it. I would not wear this as my day bra because...well, because. I look like a twelve-year old in it, with my abbreviated brochure-sized bOoKs. But yes, I have been wearing Ahh Bras for the past few years to sleep. I just don't care to have things sliding off the sides of the table when I move around.

• Like 1

I am 41 and I always have but I am a ddd or F. When nursing I was an H. Plus I was in a car accident when I was 17 that left me with a pinched nerve in my upper back and spasms for years. I sleep in full wireless bras, none of those sports bras for me.

I routinely sleep in a spots bra, but mostly because I am too lazy to take it off at night, lol. Or I'm too cold to undress completely.  And I used to get a LOT of breast soreness for the two weeks leading up to my period. When that was the case I wore a sports bra almost all the time out of necessity. I managed to fix that with vitex and progesterone, but I really needed it for a while.

Like I said, now it is mostly just laziness or being too cold, lol.

I did when I was a teen, but once I got married....um no, I didn't bother. LOL

It is one of the things that come off when I get out of my work clothes.  I am cold blooded and dh is usually running hot, so I pretty much always put on a T and a sweatshirt when I change clothes for the night even in the summer (heat and ac are both set a bit chilly for me).  Taking off my bra and my socks, are what signal my body to relax for the night.  Not much happens in my world, once I get out of my work clothes.  

• Like 2

I do not, but when I was in college and spent time lounging around in my pajamas I did wear a sports bra. I'd take it off once I was likely to be in my room for the night. I was a 34A then, and would sometimes throw a hoodie over and go bra-less for a quick errand.

My best friend was quite over-endowed and she wore a bra to bed because 1) she said it was more comfortable, 2) she said it helped absorb underboob sweat, 3) she didn't want to appear bra-less in the hall even just to run to the bathroom.

• Like 1

I did when I was young.  It didn't bother me.  At some point I stopped being able to tolerate wearing tight stuff.  Sometime between age 25 & 30 I guess.  Not long thereafter I stopped wearing bras almost completely.

My kids are still in "training bras."  One of them likes to wear hers all the time, the other likes to wear only her favorite nightie to bed.  :)

Edited by SKL

I don't, and neither does dd. We do sleep with clothes on (at least underwear and tops). If I'm planning on staying in pjs for a while I'll often slip a bra on underneath just because I look kind of old and decrepit without one after years of breastfeeding.

When I was younger (and barely an A cup) I wore tight camis to bed.  I started wearing sleep bras during my first pregnancy (so 24?) and have been pregnant or nursing since.  I honestly can't imagine not wearing a bra when pregnant/nursing, everything is uncomfortable even with the compression.  I hear a lot of women who say bras are uncomfortable, that isn't my reality.  But I also wear underwire nursing bras (during the day), because I can't stand the "approved" ones.

Ugh, no no no. My b00ks are enormous and the bras are all bullet proof. I'll only wear one to hold nursing pads in place for the first year. Leaking all over the bed is no fun either, but wearing a bra to bed or even when I don't have to around the house is miserable.

:huh: How do you ladies in the upper alphabet do it! :lol: I am in shock at the # who don't wear them. I assumed anyone over a B did at night. I can't go more than 30 minutes during the day without one or I get sharp pains. Maybe that accident did more damage then I thought. :confused1:

I never do.  The only time I have, other than relatively temporary tEa outfits, was during the first few months of nursing when I was leaky. 

Also, I have read that wearing bras 24/7 is strongly correlated with breast cancer.  I can't recall whether the cause was speculation or experimentally determined, but they attributed the problem to the lymph system being unable to move fluids around freely when someone was wearing a bra.  So I don't think it's even safe to wear them all the time, and additionally I tend to go without around the house sometimes, and if I exercise in the house I just wear a tshirt.  I want movement!

• Like 1

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't wear a bra. The back story is that two summers ago, our church youth group wanted to go to camp. As there were no other women volunteering to go with the teen girls, I offered to be their chaperone. (The girls couldn't attend without a female chaperone.) At bedtime when I put my jammies on, I would take off my bra. Usually I stayed on or near my bed after I changed. I always was modest, wore a dark nightgown, and didn't think anything of it.

Fast forward to this week when our associate pastor, in the course of a conversation about problems with the teen group, told my dh he overheard the parents of most of these girls (and some of the boys who attended) making fun of me not wearing a bra to bed at camp. Wearing a bra to sleep in is not something I would generally do and I was dumbstruck they would choose such an inane thing to make fun of me about.

This associate pastor has been attending/employed by our church for just over a year, so it was over a year after the camp the parents were still discussing this. (My bOOks are totally not worthy of such a discussion!)  :) I wondered if I was totally out of touch. Looks like I'm not as out of touch as they apparently think I am.

Thinking about it further, would your daughters be embarrassed by a woman they see on a regular basis if she didn't wear a bra under her jammies when she went to bed at a 5 day overnight summer camp? I think one of my daughters might be uncomfortable, but I don't think it would bother my other. I don't believe either one would say anything to the woman and it likely wouldn't even be part of the after camp chatter. Would your dd say anything to the woman if she were uncomfortable?

What would you do at an overnight camp? Would you wear your bra to bed even if it wasn't normal for you just in case you might upset someone?

(In my case, I think these parents--both male and female--just need a scapegoat. If it wasn't about the bra, it would be about something else I did or didn't do.)

These days I barely wear a bra while awake. I started having a serious intolerance for them about a year ago. I wear a bra only when absolutely necessary and even then it's a sleep or sports bra and it comes off as soon as I come home. I absolutely do not sleep in a bra. I regard my drawer of nice lacy (quality and professionally fitted) underwire bras as evil interlopers trying to torture me. I keep hoping I will stop hating the feel of them but I don't think so at this point.

Well, when I chaperone I do feel that obvious um nipple evidence and general floppiness should be avoided even in nightclothes.  But that's not terribly hard with a second layer on, so black jammies or black modest night gown, with either a long sweater vest (the kind that doesn't button) or a robe, or an extra black pajama top worn over the other layer, but open like a jacket, and I figure I'm being modest enough but still comfortable.  Then that layer comes off when I go to bed.

Having said that, apparently hanging your bra on the hanger with your other stuff is also gross if it become evident that the cup is as big as one of the kids' heads.  Which was commented on in my case, but which I pretended not to hear; and AFAIK it never got back to the parents. 

Edited by Carol in Cal.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't wear a bra. The back story is that two summers ago, our church youth group wanted to go to camp. As there were no other women volunteering to go with the teen girls, I offered to be their chaperone. (The girls couldn't attend without a female chaperone.) At bedtime when I put my jammies on, I would take off my bra. Usually I stayed on or near my bed after I changed. I always was modest, wore a dark nightgown, and didn't think anything of it.

Fast forward to this week when our associate pastor, in the course of a conversation about problems with the teen group, told my dh he overheard the parents of most of these girls (and some of the boys who attended) making fun of me not wearing a bra to bed at camp. Wearing a bra to sleep in is not something I would generally do and I was dumbstruck they would choose such an inane thing to make fun of me about.

This associate pastor has been attending/employed by our church for just over a year, so it was over a year after the camp the parents were still discussing this. (My bOOks are totally not worthy of such a discussion!)  :) I wondered if I was totally out of touch. Looks like I'm not as out of touch as they apparently think I am.

Thinking about it further, would your daughters be embarrassed by a woman they see on a regular basis if she didn't wear a bra under her jammies when she went to bed at a 5 day overnight summer camp? I think one of my daughters might be uncomfortable, but I don't think it would bother my other. I don't believe either one would say anything to the woman and it likely wouldn't even be part of the after camp chatter. Would your dd say anything to the woman if she were uncomfortable?

What would you do at an overnight camp? Would you wear your bra to bed even if it wasn't normal for you just in case you might upset someone?

(In my case, I think these parents--both male and female--just need a scapegoat. If it wasn't about the bra, it would be about something else I did or didn't do.)

1) How juvenile of the parents. WOW. 

2) I would wear a bra in that situation, but I don't go braless unless I'm at home with my husband and daughter.

ETA: If you had a robe or something to help minimize awareness of being sans-bra while you were out of bed, I see nothing wrong with going braless. I really just feel it depends on how "on display" the girls were, but I really doubt you were being showy about it. :) 

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 1

This associate pastor has been attending/employed by our church for just over a year, so it was over a year after the camp the parents were still discussing this. (My bOOks are totally not worthy of such a discussion!) :) I wondered if I was totally out of touch. Looks like I'm not as out of touch as they apparently think I am.

I have no idea what to say to this.

It sounds like a load of ridiculous nonsense. I would be furious.

Would my dd (13) be uncomfortable? No, she's a dancer, she's very comfortable with form fitting/revealing clothes and people changing in front of her.

• Like 7

Well, when I chaperone I do feel that obvious um nipple evidence and general floppiness should be avoided even in nightclothes.  But that's not terribly hard with a second layer on, so black jammies or black modest night gown, with either a long sweater vest (the kind that doesn't button) or a robe, or an extra black pajama top worn over the other layer, but open like a jacket, and I figure I'm being modest enough but still comfortable.  Then that layer comes off when I go to bed.

Having said that, apparently hanging your bra on the hanger with your other stuff is also gross if it become evident that the cup is as big as one of the kids' heads.  Which was commented on in my case, but which I pretended not to hear; and AFAIK it never got back to the parents. 

I think the bolded is what would cause my dd discomfort. I didn't wear something over my navy blue nightie, so maybe that was the issue. I figure we all have the same body parts, so it shouldn't be an issue. I'll remember it for next time.

As to your second paragraph, oh, my! Lol. Probably a good thing not to hear!

• Like 1

I have no idea what to say to this.

It sounds like a load of ridiculous nonsense. I would be furious.

Would my dd (13) be uncomfortable? No, she's a dancer, she's very comfortable with form fitting/revealing clothes and people changing in front of her.

My initial reaction was anger. Now, a couple of days later, I'm a little calmer and believe this speaks more about them than it does about me. It made me curious about bedtime bras, though. 

• Like 2

I don't like wearing a bra to bed. I would possibly wear one in a situation like this, but I typically wouldn't worry about it with other women or girls.

What a ridiculous situation! First, the parents, what is the matter with them?! They should have set their kids straight, especially the boys, who never should have been discussing that with anyone. Second, the associate pastor had no business talking about it either. A pastor should know better than to say anything about how a member of his congregation dresses for bed or to repeat overheard gossip. The fact that anyone was making fun at all about anything is ridiculous, but sleeping without a bra is a completely normal action. I am horrified by everyone's behavior except yours.

Edited by abacus2
  • Like 16

I don't like wearing a bra to bed. I would possibly wear one in a situation like this, but I typically wouldn't worry about it with other women or girls.

What a ridiculous situation! First, the parents, what is the matter with them?! They should have set their kids straight, especially the boys, who never should have been discussing that with anyone. Second, the associate pastor had no business talking about it either. A pastor should know better than to say anything about how a member of his congregation dresses for bed or to repeat overheard gossip. The fact that anyone was making fun at all about anything is ridiculous, but sleeping without a bra is a completely normal action. I am horrified by everyone's behavior except yours.

The pastor wasn't part of the discussion; he overheard the conversation and said something to the group to stop it. There have been problems with the high school group Sunday mornings and the current teacher is stepping down in 2 weeks. Dh, as the Sunday School Superintendent, and I had talked about teaching it. The associate pastor used that example to explain why he thinks it wouldn't be a wise idea for us to teach. I think what's likely going to happen is that Sunday school will be taught Sunday evening and there won't be a high school group meeting Sunday morning, at least until this group of students moves on. No one wants to teach this group. 

What? Wow. 2 years later? Talking about your bra? The PASTOR talking to your DH? I have no words.

You were the only one who made sure the girls could go to camp...And those girls were making fun of you? I'd be making sure the pastor cared a bit less about what women were to bed, and more about the behavior and attitudes of the youth. Disgusting.

It is not about you. It is about them. :grouphug:

• Like 12

I'm almost 60 and I have never worn a bra at night. Not on camping trips, not on backpacking trips, not at women's retreats, not ever.

I'm just dumbfounded that whether or not you were wearing a bra AT NIGHT was a topic of discussion amongst these girls AND their parents. Just dumbfounded. There's so much wrong with that I just don't even know where to start...

Anne

• Like 11

So, very, laugh hysterically in their faces NO!

If I was getting about in my pj's with unrelated boys around, I'd have a second layer on.

If it was just girls, honestly, what do they think they'll look like after they've had a couple of kids? :p

My neighbour plus quite a few women in my area don't even bother about a bra during the day. They just wear a t shirt and let everything flop.

I have only heard of people wearing one at night from this forum. Before that I didn't know people wore one at night.

I have seen lots of other women in their pjs in different setting hospitals, their own homes etc.all of them are braless

• Like 1

Yes, always.  But I don't really wear regular bras anymore.  I wear camisoles.  When I did wear bras I wore them to bed though.  I suppose that is odd, but it was/is comfortable to me.  I'm not large chested.  I'm 42 and I've always done this. 

edited, this is NOT at all a modesty thing...I wouldn't care if all women in the world stopped wearing bras...they are basically pretty stupid contraptions (hence why I started wearing camisoles instead)....except when I exercise, I don't wear any sort of real bra anymore

Edited by SparklyUnicorn

wow, that's rather nutty

• Like 1