Do you know what Eton is?

luuknam

287 members have voted

1. 1. Do you know what Eton is?

• Yes
    • Maybe, not sure
    • No
    • I've Eton [eaten] something for breakfast/lunch/dinner

I put yes, but that's what I was thinking of, a well regarded school in England. 

Yes, I'm talking about the $$$$$ boarding school for teenage boys in England. (which, incidentally, is pretty cheap right now with the current exchange rate - only about $48,000 per year  :svengo: )

• Like 1

Yes, I do - but that's all right, that just makes your wife one of today's lucky 10,000!

I know. I was just surprised because she's from an upper middle class background and even went to an elementary school for gifted kids. So I was wondering if Americans in general (I know, this board isn't just Americans, and is not very average even wrt the Americans on here) were familiar with Eton.

ETA: She's from Texas.

Edited by luuknam

Yes, but I grew up in New England in a town where there are "old money" families. I can't think of anyone off the top of my head who went to Eton but it was definitely known of. There was also another one that had the name "Sand" as part of it- Sandhill? Sandhurst? I forget.

• Like 1

yes, of course. But I am an Anglophile; many of the books I read were written by Brits, before WWII.

I'm sure I heard the phrase "Eton collar" from a young age (in children's books). Without ever bothering to wonder what exactly that is   :)

And it seems I've always known that famous line, "The battle of Waterloo was won on the playing fields of Eton," which is probably misquoted and possibly apocryphal anyway.

ETA: funny coincidence: I just finished the memoirs of Lord Berners (First Childhood and A Distant Prospect); the latter book basically covers his years at Eton. And I've been to Windsor; you can't miss Eton Chapel! Before I visited Windsor I couldn't have told you where Eton is; I lumped it together with Harrow. (And I have no idea where Harrow is.)

Edited by Laura in CA
  • Like 4

For the record, in UK terms it's not a prep school. It's a public school. Prep schools run from age 8 to 13 and prepare you for public (posh private) or private school.

If you have heard of the Galore Park 'prep' books, they are so called because they cover prep school.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 6

Interlochen boarding high school - performing arts school known all over the world - here in Michigan is the same price, well actually $250.00 more, but then when you add fees and such, it comes out well over $50,000.00

I went to the performing arts music camps in the summer a couple of times in high school,  Even that was so pricey that I had to win scholarships, beg grandparents, save babysitting money, and my parents probably ate cardboard for weeks in order to manage the cost.

• Like 1

Voted yes. We have lived at New England boarding schools for the past 26 years. That is only a few thousand more than the day student price at our school. Boarding price at top New England schools is around 60,000+. It's crazy, but there is no shortage of people who can pay it. They have a wait list every year. The top 1% of the top 1% are doing well these days. 

• Like 1

In England it's not a prep but a public school. Preps are junior schools that educate children up to Common Entrance age (seventh grade). We looked at Eton for my son as a number of boys from his prep and friends had recommended it. Great school. DS did not end up there though. 

• Like 3

Having spent long periods of time in Europe may have contribute to my identifying it as a boarding school, however, it could have also come through other channels. Simply cannot remember.

Probably came from other channels. I have never ever traveled really. I have definitely not gone overseas. I have never had a passport. But I knew it was that famous school.

• Like 1

I'm a midwest redneck American and I knew it, and have known it for many many years.  :)  I remember reading that Prince William was preparing to be sent to Eton, and I knew what Eton referred to.  I am not sure when I first learned - probably from some book or movie.

• Like 1