Menu

Do you clean your child's room?

teachermom2834

I visited ds at his college for the first time today. There were other parents visiting over the long weekend as well. I found other moms cleaning dorm rooms and doing laundry. It would never have occurred to me to clean my ds room. I really didn't even want to see it. I also would not do his laundry on campus. I don't like cleaning so I wouldn't want to do it. I would also feel I was violating ds and his roomate's privacy I guess.

I started wondering how common this is. How many moms here clean dorm rooms? I really am not judging at all. I can totally see that being a love language kind of thing. I took my ds and his suitemates homemade cookies and cupcakes and cases of water. When ds comes home I'll happily do any laundry he brings. So I get doing acts of service to show love and support. Just wondered if I am being weird by not cleaning dorm rooms.

• Like 1

My mom never saw my dorm rooms, but she cleans and cooks meals anytime she comes for a visit so I vote not strange--just a mom being a mom and helping out where she is able.

I also don't think you are strange at all for not cleaning. Folks are different, priorities are different, relationships are different.

• Like 3

No. DS has been solo responsible to clean his room and bathroom here at home since about age 12.

Acts of service IS my love language, and I would never have stepped on DS's independence (or embarrassed him) by trying to clean his dorm room.  :blushing: I think doing that would be FAR more like to embarrass or hurt a student -- almost like it's saying you don't feel the student is really an adult, or can make their own decisions about how to live in their own space, or doesn't clean "the right way" (i.e. "mom's way"). Yikes -- no!

We did help carry stuff up to his room, and carry it back down on move-in and move out days, but that is general helpfulness and everybody does that. Cleaning (or not cleaning ;) ) was all up to DS and his roomie.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 8

No, no and no! DD is 11 and DS is 8, and I do not clean their rooms. DD does her own laundry (although we occasionally fold to speed things along). DS is the only one who still has his laundry washed, dried and folded (although he, too, is learning how to wash) and that's only because he always puts it away without complaint and into the laundry bucket where it belongs. I cannot fathom doing that for a college student. Now, a new mom/dad? Sure!

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 2

I knew a mom (mother of my college kid's friend -- the mom and I stayed in lookse contact for a while) who spent parents' weekend doing the college kid's laundry. I asked about it, and she had a long list of reasons that was best summed up as "love language".

Doing laundry is NOT my love language, so I don't get it, but different strokes for different folks I guess!

Edited by Gwen in VA
  • Like 2

Thanks everyone. I do want to note that my son and his roommate do not want me to clean their room. So not like I am feeling guilty. Just wondering how many moms do it. One mom I spoke with made it seem like the norm. Honestly I don't even feel the need to go in my son's room post drop off. There are four guys in there in close quarters. Three of them are not my kid. It really feels like an intrusion to me.

I am sure it is not clean in there. But that is just kind of part of the process to me.

• Like 3

It never occurred to me that going in and cleaning their rooms was even an option.  

Dd is now living off campus.  I've considered sending/taking food this year, but, honestly, everyone in the house likes to cook ... hah, I just had a mental image of all 5 moms-of-housemates sending homemade frozen lasagna.  I'll sacrificially be the mom who doesn't clutter up the freezer.

• Like 1

Definitely not on the dorm room.  I stopped helping oldest dd clean her room when she was about 10, I think. 

The younger guys mostly do their own laundry and straighten their rooms.  I do a deeper clean about once a month. I'm not sure at what point I'll stop that but definitely before college!

• Like 1

Not the dorm rooms. I've been cleaning some at home bedrooms the last couple of weeks because when are getting a new roof and attic access is through one bedroom. The other bedroom is the best room for MIL to stay in and dh wants his mother to come overnight a few times. Both (adult) children were asked to clean their rooms and told why. At this point they can't complain about me touching stuff. It is my house and they knew we needed to use the rooms.

• Like 1

I don't clean ds's room at home and would not at college. I do fold his laundry once in while if it's still in the dryer when I need it. I should probably just plan on having him use rolling totes when he does transfer. Once his computer set up gets done, he loses focus on setting up his room. 

• Like 3

I don't *think* I would... BUT... if I was visiting my kid's dorm... just sitting around while his friends milled in and out of the room... just sitting there sounds like torture. So, I could see busying myself so that I could bustle in-and-out of the room, chatting with him and his friends while I had my hands busy doing something else.

• Like 2

I've never seen that. THough we did have cleaning ladies at my college, they would vaccume and wipe surfaces, as well as empty the trash, so long as the room was tidy enough to do it without disturbing things.

The cleaning crew came in your room? At my school they did communal spaces like the hall, showers, lounge/TV area. They did not come in rooms.

At my ds's school the RA can inspect rooms. They come in and look for fire hazards like overloaded extension cords.

• Like 2

I only enter my kids dorm rooms on move-in and move-out. The only time I ever cleaned ds's room last year was when he moved out. He did most of the packing, then I showed up and cleaned while he hauled stuff to the car. The room was in serious need of cleaning, but how he lives for the 9 months he is there is up to him. 

When they come home, I'll do any laundry they bring, but that is typically just enough to wear for the visit. I throw it in with our and all is well. Both of my kids have access to free laundry facilities just a couple of doors down the hall from their dorm rooms. They both consider it more convenient to do their own laundry than to haul a bunch home. 

I never saw a mom clean any part of a dorm room while I was in college, but I went to a college that was in a fairly rural area. Few people lived nearby and parents rarely visited. We all liked it that way. :)

• Like 1

As the OP, I do want to note that I can envision helping clean up at move out in certain circumstances. Such as if it had to be cleaned to pass check out and there was a time crunch or chaotic and I just wanted to get out of there.

The one mom that cleaned actually found something...personal...that had been given to her son's roommate under a bed. Yeah, I don't want to deal with anything remotely like that.

• Like 1

My parents are European and my Mom stopped doing my laundry and cleaning my room/bathroom when I was 16 (actually it was probably younger than that - 13 maybe?). She also told me at that point that it was my job to handle all of my dentist/doctor appointments. There's no way she'd have cleaned my room at college. They'd have taken me out for a meal and that's about it.

I'm not sure that I'll do the doctor thing with my kiddos but I'm planning on handing over laundry/room cleaning ASAP.

Edited by importswim
  • Like 1

Only during move outs. In both cases, DD and DS were running out of time (busy day) and we helped pack and vacuum and wipe down surfaces so we could get out on time. For DS, we had a long drive home and for DD she needed to meet her new landlord and get moved in before we left,

So, nope, no cleaning for me. I do their laundry when they are home if they want me to. I don't mind and it's such a little thing for me to do.

• Like 2

The cleaning crew came in your room? At my school they did communal spaces like the hall, showers, lounge/TV area. They did not come in rooms.

At my ds's school the RA can inspect rooms. They come in and look for fire hazards like overloaded extension cords.

Yes, every floor or bay had a cleaning lady ( I gues they could have been men, but none were) who would do the communal areas, and rooms on a particular morning each week.  So, it could be that your room was always cleaned Tuesday morning.

You could always leave a sign asking them not to come in, but that generally only happened if someone was such a slob she didn't want anyone in her room.

• Like 1

No, but they were doing their own laundry and cleaning their room (and part of the rest of the house) by age 10-12, so it would have been weird. I suppose if you had done that for them all along, it might seem more normal.

I did tell middle dd to empty her trash when we visited this past weekend. :) It was full and she hadn't thought to check yet to find the trash bags in the closet down the hall.

• Like 1

My parents are European and my Mom stopped doing my laundry and cleaning my room/bathroom when I was 16 (actually it was probably younger than that - 13 maybe?). She also told me at that point that it was my job to handle all of my dentist/doctor appointments. There's no way she'd have cleaned my room at college. They'd have taken me out for a meal and that's about it.

I'm not sure that I'll do the doctor thing with my kiddos but I'm planning on handing over laundry/room cleaning ASAP.

I am European and I can tell you that not all European families handle these things the same. I come from Spain and things there in general are very different to how they are in the U.K. for example.

No, not a dorm room. It's not hard for me to imagine myself tidying up an off-campus apartment if I were visiting though. It's kind of automatic behavior for me and I think if it appeared that the kid was having a hard time managing housework, I might just start cleaning off a countertop or something out of my inner need for order. :)

• Like 1

I didn't clean dd's room when we visited, but it doesn't strike me as terribly odd to do so as long as the student doesn't mind. I'm assuming the parent would only clean their 'half' of the room, or sweep, non-intrusive stuff to the roommate. 

I didn't do her laundry but I would do so to help her out if we had time, or if she brought it home. I have many fond memories of my mom doing my college laundry, lol. 

Her suite mates had left dirty dishes in the sink before leaving for the weekend, so I asked her if they would mind if I washed them . . . mostly so I could clean the sink! She gave her approval, lol.  

Parents without boundary issues are going to ask if their kid wants some help and accept the answer. I promise you that neither of mine are the least bit offended to be offered help! That may be because our family culture includes giving and receiving help in many situations, for adults as well as kids and college students. When a cousin or other family member is hosting a party, it's perfectly normal to offer to go and help them clean. If they're setting off on a big trip, it's normal to offer to help them pack and situate the house. 

So we would think nothing of offering that type of help to a college student, but then again the college student is just as likely to offer similar help in return. It's family helping family plus "many hands make light work" and not a question or ability or responsibility. 

• Like 1

I don't think it is uncommon, but only one of my friend's mom cleaned when she visited.  Almost of all my male friends, their moms did their laundry when they went home.  Of my female friends, it was hit or miss whether their mom did their laundry.  If the mom was already doing laundry, she would usually have her daughter sort the laundry out and then the mom would do it with whatever else she was doing.  Otherwise, the mom would just let the daughter know the washing machine was free if she had laundry to throw in.

Myself - No, I would not clean.  Although I wouldn't be opposed to "helping" if we did it together.  And I hate laundry so I would give free access to the washing machine (or give you money to do it) but nope, I'm not doing it for you.  I'm all over the food though and would come bearing all sorts of delicious goodness for my child and extra to share.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...