Menu

super achieving people (pretty sure this is a JAWM)

hornblower

Do you ever just look at some super achieving people and just think "who ARE these people?"  and then laugh hysterically as you look at the out of control & constantly way behind chaos of your own lives? 

This morning the Canadian Space Agency announced who we're sending up to space next. 

BEng in engineering physics. Ok. 

PhD in Astrophysics.  Of course. Astronauts are super smart. 

At Cambridge.  Ok.  Super super smart. 

But then, also an MD. Because.  

Specializes in first line isolated medical practice. Handy for the Cdn Arctic! And hello, oh so convenient for space! 

Cycles. Mountaineers. Sails. Scuba. (when, exactly??) 

Commercial pilot licence. 

Fluently bilingual and speaks Russian, Japanese, and Spanish.  Because, of course. 

Then I thought - aha, probably is a workaholic with no family... nope. Married w/ 2 kids. 

I mean HOW?????? 

I started laughing at this bio because if I was writing a funny fictional over the top bio it would sort of sound like this. 

Like, what doesn't he do????   

Edited by hornblower
  • Like 36

Yup. I agree with you! I say, "Hats off!" those people like that. Up until my mid-thirties I lived life with a sense that I was doing something wrong by not being super ambitious and joining a bunch of groups and doing a bunch of activities, etc, etc. But I finally realized that those people are happy being on the go all the time and I'm not and it's ok for both of us.

Sometimes I read about people's kids getting into elite colleges and they list the things the kids did in high school and they sound an awful lot like that resume you posted. Sometimes I start to feel anxious about my own kids or suspicious that these other people are inflating what their kids are doing...and then I step back and shake myself off and say, "Good on them!" If they're able to do all that and happy, then that's great. It really is! My kids would be miserable doing those things and so my kids will not be going to an elite college...and it's ok. They would be miserable being at a college like that, so it's all good.

We need those people who manage to wring something productive out of every second of the day. I'm not one of them, but I'm glad they're out there. And I can totally see you laughing at the resume. It's just so over-the-top! I mean, MD? And all the sports, too? How?? :)

• Like 15

Yup. I agree with you! I say, "Hats off!" those people like that. Up until my mid-thirties I lived life with a sense that I was doing something wrong by not being super ambitious and joining a bunch of groups and doing a bunch of activities, etc, etc. But I finally realized that those people are happy being on the go all the time and I'm not and it's ok for both of us.

I

Sometimes I read about people's kids getting into elite colleges and they list the things the kids did in high school and they sound an awful lot like that resume you posted. Sometimes I start to feel anxious about my own kids or suspicious that these other people are inflating what their kids are doing...and then I step back and shake myself off and say, "Good on them!" If they're able to do all that and happy, then that's great. It really is! My kids would be miserable doing those things and so my kids will not be going to an elite college...and it's ok. They would be miserable being at a college like that, so it's all good.

We need those people who manage to wring something productive out of every second of the day. I'm not one of them, but I'm glad they're out there. And I can totally see you laughing at the resume. It's just so over-the-top! I mean, MD? And all the sports, too? How?? :)

Me, too!

We are specializing in being "gloriously ordinary " here.

• Like 8

Yes, but I don't compare myself to them.

Some people just gogogogogogogo, and they have wonderfully exercised  brain that can keep up. It's a blessing.

More power to them! The planet needs them.

Me, I like to watch movies and read books and sleep as often as possible! Some people can't really relax, you know. It's a blessing :-) I am soooo so so good at relaxing.

Being the parent of one super achiever and two more normal (and still great) lads, I absolutely know the truth of your last line.

I definitely don't begrudge those who can and do some pretty awesome things and I don't begrudge those who are under the wider section of the bell curve.

Issues arise when one tries to force someone from one category into another (either direction).  We all do best when in our niche.

• Like 12

Lol, I think this all the time. I seem to be unable to wear more than one hat. The other day, I did a ton of yard work. That's it. No cooking, no h'schooling, no housekeeping. The next day, I was on the housekeeping ball, but that's it. I couldn't get anything else done. :p

*sigh*

Some day, I'll get more than one thing done. Story of my life.

• Like 11

Our oldest is  like that, he is always on the go and his mind is always activated.  There are the people who have an impressive array of activities on their list but are not really participating in them.  Then there are people who have an advantage because of their circumstances (three of our kids will be trilingual without really trying, courtesy of mom and dad making them third culture kiddos).  I am happiest on my couch with a book or taking a nap.  It takes all kinds.

But these aren't the ones I compare with.

The comparison trap gets me with people who live down the street with the smaller waist, the prettier house- perfectly decorated, the well behaved kids, the larger bank account and the never ending vacations.

Sigh. I'm a mess. And I'm shallow. Initials don't impress me that much ;)

Edited by purplejackmama
  • Like 1

Do you ever just look at some super achieving people and just think "who ARE these people?" and then laugh hysterically as you look at the out of control & constantly way behind chaos of your own lives?

This morning the Canadian Space Agency announced who we're sending up to space next.

BEng in engineering physics. Ok.

PhD in Astrophysics. Of course. Astronauts are super smart.

At Cambridge. Ok. Super super smart.

But then, also an MD. Because.

Specializes in first line isolated medical practice. Handy for the Cdn Arctic! And hello, oh so convenient for space!

Cycles. Mountaineers. Sails. Scuba. (when, exactly??)

Commercial pilot licence.

Fluently bilingual and speaks Russian, Japanese, and Spanish. Because, of course.

Then I thought - aha, probably is a workaholic with no family... nope. Married w/ 2 kids.

I mean HOW??????

I started laughing at this bio because if I was writing a funny fictional over the top bio it would sort of sound like this.

Like, what doesn't he do????

For one thing he doesn't volunteer at an animal rescue...

Um. Or mention any pets at all. Seriously pets take up a ridiculous amount of time.

But yeah I don't care about this stuff anymore. It bothers me when I don't achieve my personal goals not when I don't achieve someone else's.

• Like 3

But these aren't the ones I compare with.

The comparison traps gets me with people who live down the street with the smaller waist, the prettier house- perfectly decorated, the well behaved kids, the larger bank account and the never ending vacations.

Sigh. I'm a mess. And I'm shallow. Initials don't impress me that much ;)

Yep. Those with the same slightly better version of your life...

Same for me.

• Like 1

Being a workaholic, I do know many workaholic couples with kids. I know a sales lady who was closing govt tender sales while on maternity leave because she gets restless not working. My former lady supervisors were workaholics, married with kids. One of my former boss who is married with kids has a phd in engineering, CMA, CFA and LLM, and is an Australian. We heard his wife is just as "accomplished".

It is very common for sports people to do more than a sport. I know many triathlon friends who also climb mountains and scuba dive as well as having power boat and pilot licenses. They did the scuba dive and the powerboat license exam while in high school. They did the pilot license while in college.

My paternal grandma was a workaholic and was helping in the family business as well as poking her nose everywhere uninvited until she passed.

I love this!

I actually stole it from the author of The Blessings of s B-. It has helped me through many moments living in an over achieving area and having a brilliant brother whose children are equally brilliant AND athletically talented.

Lol, I think this all the time. I seem to be unable to wear more than one hat. The other day, I did a ton of yard work. That's it. No cooking, no h'schooling, no housekeeping. The next day, I was on the housekeeping ball, but that's it. I couldn't get anything else done. :p

*sigh*

Some day, I'll get more than one thing done. Story of my life.

This is me. I'm ok with it. My dh isn't quite as ok with it, but he puts up with me and seems to love me all the same.

Right now I'm doing a great job of homeschooling and a meh job of homemaking. It's ok. I'll declutter and re-organize in the summer and it'll hold us through to Christmas break.

• Like 1

Does he have more hours in the day than the rest of us?? :) Regarding the languages, one of my professors has his PhD and speaks 10 languages. That amazes me.

Maybe.  I've known a few people who thrive on very little sleep. They are up and working while everyone is still hitting the snooze button. And they are up late at night doing stuff when everyone else is falling asleep on the couch.

I'm not one of them, unfortunately.

But for sure, people who need fewer hours of sleep do have more hours in the day than some of us.  :-)

• Like 7

So, my first post outside my intro thread...

One thing I always used to tell my oldest was "everyone has their piles of $#!-.  EVERYONE.  Some people have bigger piles of $#!- than others, some have smellier piles than others, some have little piles, some have a LOT of little piles, some have one giant pile.  But EVERYONE has them."

What that means is that, regardless how fabulous a person might seem their life is NOT perfect.  They have crap going on...or they had crap going on...or they will have crap going on...or all of the above. 

What doesn't he do-could be that he doesn't go sailing with his dad because his dad died when he was 2.  Could be he doesn't show up at his kid's ball games.  Could be his spouse is cheating.  Could be he is cheating.  Could be anything....the point is, just because his life seems perfect, that does not mean it is.  In fact, regardless of what his pile of $#!- is...it does exist.  Nothing's perfect.

Now, there's another half to the saying I tell my kid....what matters in life isn't your pile of $#!-...it's what you do about it it.  Everyone has their pile, and everyone has a choice what to do about it.  You can sit and whine about it, you can try to go around it, you can try to shovel it out of the way, but rest assured, you will have a pile just like everyone else, so figure out how you want to deal with it. 

So, really, what we all need is a good shovel and steady supply of plastic bags, right?

• Like 2

Honestly, the only thing I find unusual is that he added an MD to his astrophysics PhD. OK, three foreign languages, but that is not soo unusual.

I know people who are like this (not the exact same qualifications, but the drive and striving for achievement). Interesting people.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

Well I was feeling pretty good that I did laundry and learned some stuff today.  

No kidding. I was feeling super productive today because I got all the homeschooling done AND found time to watch the latest Game of Thrones AND washed the dishes. Now I feel like I lazy slob because I didn't climb a mountain and do open heart surgery on a Sherpa while I was at it. 

• Like 16

Notice there's nothing there about music or the arts? 

Slacker. 

If I were writing an imaginary bio I'd make him play an instrument and compete in lindy hop. 

Actually, on the local radio station they mentioned that he plays flute - the one he carved himself.  You'll have to work harder to find something this guy hasn't done. ;)

They also said that he's a really nice man.  I have to say, that these will all be good skills to have as he seeks a lift aboard some other country's space ship to the Space Station, 'cause Canada sure doesn't have one.  :laugh:

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 9

Honestly, the only thing I find unusual is that he added an MD to his astrophysics PhD. OK, three foreign languages, but that is not soo unusual.

I know people who are like this (not the exact same qualifications, but the drive and striving for achievement). Interesting people.

I thought about you when I read this post! Isn't your daughter like this man? Constantly learning and doing and loving every minute of it? I figured you'd know people like him.

I think people like him are wonderful. I wish I was like that naturally. I'm not and have come to accept it about myself.

• Like 2

Any day with three things done counts as a major success in my books.

I think I used up all my amazing can-do energy gestating humans, and you know,  keeping them alive with my own amazing milk production factory and all that. Space ? Med school ? Pff!

All I have to do tomorrow is buy a single stamp at the post office and I'm already trying to figure a way out of it.

• Like 20

I could totally do all that if I wanted to...

No actually, I was tired by the end of the post. Actually, I was tired before I started reading the post.

I'm not a gogogo person, in case you couldn't tell.

But I'm sure that they would be a fascinating family to have over for dinner!

• Like 4

I could totally do all that if I wanted to...

No actually, I was tired by the end of the post. Actually, I was tired before I started reading the post.

I'm not a gogogo person, in case you couldn't tell.

But I'm sure that they would be a fascinating family to have over for dinner!

Except they are probably raw food vegans.

• Like 7

This. I used to think there was SO MUCH MORE we needed to do and be. Between my perfectionism and her personality, I managed to make my oldest an anxious mess. It's damage I'm trying to undo now, for both our sakes. Our new mantra is, "Let's be who we are." It's all good!

It's the wife. If I had a wife I would be way more awesome myself. :)

:lol: Seriously! 

• Like 1

Ugh. Stamps. I still haven't mailed my Mother's Day cards because I have to go get stamps. Stupid things!

You could always buy postage on USPS.com...

That's why I need a stamp. ;)  The best part is that I'm using last year's card I never got around to mailing. It's a miracle my mother hasn't disowned me yet.

I'm only like four blocks from the post office, so I don't really have any excuse.

• Like 5

Does he have more hours in the day than the rest of us?? :)

There are people who don't need much sleep. I think it's something like 1 or 2% of the population needs unusually small amounts of sleep--five or six hours a night. They aren't driven by caffeine or anything. They simply don't need it. I've met two different people like this, and they are wildly successful and productive. Of course, they use that extra time wisely, which I probably would not, lol! I don't like being that busy, but I would do a little more if I had that kind of energy.

One of the two people I've met who are like this has two careers. One is well-established, and the other established in mid-life, but he's really good at that one too. The first career fits around the hours he works the second one that has more restrictive hours. Has a wife and grown kids. It's crazy but real. The other one has one all-consuming career that is both career and hobby. That person is very active, very healthy, and quite old to be working FT much less FT plus, so the lack of sleep has not put a dent in her health at all.

• Like 2

I reckon if we all put our achievements down on paper, we'd have a heck of lot of accomplished sounding lives. I mean really, the older you get especially, the more you've done.

I, for example, once conquered use of a giant industrial floor polisher. And if you've ever been behind one of those things, you;ll know that's no mean feat. You have to become one with the polisher, lean in to its movement. So there you go - I'm a floor polisher whisperer. And that's only one of my life achievements!

That might work.

"Pioneered groundbreaking technique for removing hazardous waste from indigenous animal populations."

ie. I cleaned poop off my cat's foot yesterday without getting scratched.

I feel more productive already.

• Like 18

I don't know people like this IRL, because they don't have time to sit and drink tea and eat cake and chat. And because they are probably scared my slacker nature will be infectious.

On a serious note, I do think achieving in things can take away from achieving with people.

Relatedness takes time. It can't be slotted in between going to space and a marathon.

I've made it a life mission to be a bad influence on people like this.

• Like 6

I know people from college and DH's grad school who have bios like that. When I was younger I used to feel rather insecure about not being a "high achiever" but since having a special needs child, my perspective has changed. I have enough going on in my own life to worry about what others think. If people want to consider me as having "wasted my potential" because I don't have a super-impressive bio, they can kiss my non-triathlon-toned backside...

• Like 6

That might work.

"Pioneered groundbreaking technique for removing hazardous waste from indigenous animal populations."

ie. I cleaned poop off my cat's foot yesterday without getting scratched.

I feel more productive already.

Pretty sure if I have to go back to work I'm going to attempt to hire you to update my resume. All online. No stamps required. :)

one word comes to mind that a lot of people do not have...

"money"

Lot of that takes money.

Not that they don't deserve any credit for their achievements.

This is so true.

Scuba for instance where I live is only a four day course and not insanely hard. It is expensive and buying your own scuba gear is even more expensive.

PhDs are different but yeah a lot of people can't afford multiple PhDs that aren't used for income earning purposes either.

• Like 3

Money also means time.

What if I had every minute back that I cook for my family because I could hire someone? What if I had all those bathroom cleaning minutes back and wood hauling and carpet cleaning and weeding and don't forget the laundry and child vomit duty? What if when I was 17 instead of working two (at one point 3) lowly minimum wage jobs I was attending school.

None of these things sound like accomplishments but what could I have done with all that time if I didn't need to do them? I do wonder that sometimes.

Edited to add: Phonics! How could I forget all the hours on teaching phonics. Maybe I could have learned a few other languages.

Edited by frogger
  • Like 9

:iagree:  I love hanging around these types of people.  They are tons of fun and tend to enjoy life, usually not getting hung up on much "small stuff."  We met several of them at middle son's college this past weekend - very accomplished youngsters on their way out to continue doing great things in our world.

My only regret with living rural is we don't have many of these "types" around to socialize with.  Fortunately, our kids don't mind if we tag on with their social circles (their friends don't mind either).

I don't know people like this IRL, because they don't have time to sit and drink tea and eat cake and chat. And because they are probably scared my slacker nature will be infectious.

On a serious note, I do think achieving in things can take away from achieving with people.

Relatedness takes time. It can't be slotted in between going to space and a marathon.

I'm not sure if you're joking or not - hopefully so.

If not, I'll add that all of these folks I know take time to sit, eat cake, and chat.  They love it.  They have no greater issues in relating to people than those with less of a "go-getter" nature.  The two things are not related at all.  Most are extremely good at relating to people.  It's part of how they got where they did.

I can't count the number of professors, students, and staff (including a kitchen cook and a janitor) who came up to us telling us how wonderful our super achiever is as a person.  And we had the same thing happen a couple of months ago when we visited the campus of our youngest "more normal" lad.

People skills and "go-getter" skills are simply not linked IME with my own kids, friends, acquaintances, or students at school.  If anything, it's really tough to be a super high go-getter without people skills, though one can be extremely intelligent and do great research without them.

• Like 6

I tend to think lots of people are super high achievers, although maybe not in the way that man is.  Having multiple degrees or hobbies that require tons of money aren't the only ways to be high achieving.  I admire people who have multiple degrees, but I also admire the people who are raising their kids and caring for elderly relatives and volunteering in their churches, community or for causes they deem worthy.  Scuba diving or mountaineering are no more impressive to me than someone who knits or does wood working.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 9

Although I don't have official credentials, some would argue my years of research for collegiate debate is equal to having multiple master's degrees (linked an article which mentions this, so people don't think I'm making this up ;) ).  But, looking at me from a purely "on paper" perspective, one might not get that idea.  

It's a matter of time and interest.  I'm currently surrounded by people who speak multiple languages.  Through intense study and immersion, it is possible to learn a foreign language quite well in a matter of 4-6 months.   Of course, you have to use it.  

Time and money do matter in pursuing degrees or any kind of learning -- but like anyone here can tell you, just because someone is "high achieving" in one area, does not mean they do it all themselves, or do it all well themselves.  I do a lot in life -- have to manage various things.  Some people are "amazed."  I try to explain that just because I'm doing all of the _________________ work, does not mean I'm doing everything at home really well at that point in time.  I have the same 24 hours in a day as anyone else, and while I can be more efficient than some, I am still just one person.  I still need down time, and I still screw up.  I don't consider myself "amazing," because I see my whole, blemished self.  

As far as people skills go, I'm sure some would argue that I don't have time to just stop and chat -- and there are times that is 100% true.  But, the same can be said of any person at any particular point in time.  If someone plans errands during co-op classes (where they don't have to teach), in order to save time and money in their day -- on the outside, it can look like they "don't make time for people."  When the truth is that they are trying to use the time they have economically, in order to make time for people/events at a different time.  However, if someone sees me at swim practice sitting in the conference room, I more often than not will put down my tablet, put away my on-line class, or put aside my paperwork to chat, or have a coffee.  

I am a schedule person.  I do best with a schedule/routine.  That means, that no, I don't attend PWOC on Tuesday morning, and Wednesday park day, and Thursday field trip day, and book club on Friday morning, because it's prime home school time and I have 5 kids I'm trying to get through lessons.  This is where I am in my life, and school is a priority.  It's not that I wouldn't LIKE to go to PWOC, or the cooking class or whatever is scheduled and spend time with adults chatting -- it's that when these things conflict, I have to make one a priority.  My kids are only with me a short time -- so for the most part, THEY become my priority.  If I can find a way to do both things effectively, I will -- but when push comes to shove, school is going to be where I put my time and effort.

So, in sum, many people look incredibly accomplished -- and they are.  However, we only see one part of that story.  All things being equal (interest, ability, time, money), I bet many of us could be more formally accomplished as well.  To those who can't imagine it... there are numerous people who look at you from afar and think there is no way they can do what you're doing!  I'd bet on it.

• Like 2