Menu

What's for dinner?

Jean in Newcastle

We just got back from a trip visiting middle son at college.  I'm pretty sure we don't need to eat for at least three days. :laugh:  Both hubby and I managed to gain three pounds in our four day visit.   :glare:

In reality, I'll fry a couple of eggs for breakfast (our chickens didn't take a break - we've got oodles of eggs), probably a basic sandwich (egg salad?) for lunch, and an apple or orange for supper.

Hubby will be on his own to fetch what he wants.  He'll make an egg burrito for breakfast - not sure about his other meals, but they'll be more substantial than mine 'cause he still gets hungry so very simple things won't work.

Maybe in another day or two I'll get back into the "we should eat something more traditional" mode.  At that point we have a couple of lamb steaks in our freezer.

Hmm... there's a small lamb roast in our freezer too.  Maybe I'll actually cook that (tonight) and let him have as much of that as he wants (I'll have a little).  If so, I use curry, salt, and pepper as a rub, and will possibly make a gravy (depends upon amount of drippings) to go over mashed potatoes.  Green peas tend to round out that meal.

We need to eat that before our boys come home as I don't think it's large enough to feed one husband and a couple of college boys.  I'll have to look at it.

• Like 1

I make chicken alfredo with rice noodles. I use a little bit of butter, mostly skim milk, lots of garlic, and mild amount of basil, and thicken with a little rice flour or corn starch and melt in parmesan which is low fat, low calorie. I slow cook chicken breast, shred, and add the sauce served over rice/veggie pasta, and then we have a fresh fruit like cantaloupe on the side with roasted asparagus and a big salad. Dh and I, especially for me as I am trying so hard to lose weight, measure out a cup or maybe at most a cup and a quarter of the alfredo so that our highest calorie item is kept to a very reasonable portion.

I have to make a lot though because the teen boys eat it by the KEG. Okay, not the keg, but it kind of feels like it, LOL.

• Like 1

DS1 had me buy these frozen veggie Asian style noodles at Costco weeks ago, but we still haven't eaten them.  He said he'd have them for lunch, but it hasn't happened.  So I may cook a few packages of those for dinner....maybe augment with more veggies.  The box is huge and takes up too much space.

Other option is either I will be making baked white beans, which is kind of like veggie cassoulet.  I usually cook cannelini or Great Northern beans in a tomato sauce, olive oil, garlic, onion mixture.  Adding in some chopped carrots.   You can add in meat if you desire.  One time, we added in some Nathan's hot dogs LOL and it was still good. 

I also need to make up a pot of red lentil soup for the week.

We ate out a bunch over the last week, which is unusual....so this week we'll probably try and eat more healthfully than usual.

• Like 1

DH is out of town this week, and I'm 38 weeks pregnant, so we're having lunches instead of dinners.  With luck, the kids will forget all about dinner...  :coolgleamA:

Most likely options are:

farro with asparagus, peas, feta cheese and poached chicken; I'll toss it with a lemon infused olive oil for "dressing"

Burrito bowls: I have 6 bone-in chicken breasts that were on sale hanging out in my fridge; tossing them in the crockpot for shredded chicken with some kind of Mexican spice rub + black beans, brown rice, and everyone's topping of choice.  Bonus: freezer chicken!

Arugula pesto tossed with pasta, cherry tomatoes, peas, and poached chicken

Grilled cheese and tomato soup: I have a few leftover ends of fancy cheeses from a party this weekend, and I think I have tomato soup hanging out in the back of my freezer; I might even clean out the zucchini or sugar snap peas with this one

• Like 1

Last night I made roasted potatoes, and I wilted some spinach in butter and garlic.  Dh marinated some haddock fillets in a sort of lime mixture and bbqed them.

For dessert we had Jamaican rum cake with ice-cream

Tonight we are having a quiche my sister made, I think I'll just do a salad with it.  She cooks to relax and often makes too much, which is lovely for us.

• Like 1

I went to Costco and bought one of their beef round tip roasts.   $3.39/pound, which is a great bargain on beef around here.  And it's good. We cut some into steaks and leave 1 or 2 roast-sized pieces and freeze what we don't cook right away.

So, tonight is steak from that, along with sauteed mushroom and some salad, which is also from Costco.  The mix of kale and other stuff in a "kit" with dressing cranberries, and some kind of nut.

• Like 2

Sorry not healthy.....

Sat- Brats and veggies on the grill (peppers, onions, tomatoes, mushrooms in aluminum foil packets)

Sun- Mexican Rice (on chips for kids) (on lettuce-me)

Mon- Salisbury steak, mashed potatoes/gravy, green beans, rolls

Tues- Grilled Pork chops, brussel sprouts, fried potatoes

Wed- Fend for yourself

Thurs-Chicken alfredo, steamed broccoli, cheesy french bread

Friday- ...... not sure

Saturday- Veggie Stir fry with Udon noodles

Sunday- we have brunch type stuff around 12-2 and then if they're hungry later there's always PBJ 

Edited by foxbridgeacademy
  • Like 1

Tonight is pork tenderloin with roasted cauliflower and green beans (add sweet potatoes for kids).

Tomorrow is Taco Tuesday, so ATK taco with ground turkey. Soft flour tortillas for kids, on salads for me and DH. Side salad.

Wednesday is a one dish chicken bake with tomatoes and cheese. Possibly trying this recipe: http://diethood.com/one-dish-chicken-bake/though I may add a smear of pesto to top of chicken.

Thursday the wheels come off.

• Like 1

Tonight--something with chicken. lol. I've been slacking on the meal planning lately so I that's all I have right now. :tongue_smilie:

We just had beef chili so it won't be chicken chili. We also just had teriyaki chicken so it needs to be a different flavor. Maybe curry. Yeah, that sounds good!

Ok! Thanks for helping me plan!

• Like 1

Tonight: food truck with friends

I'm currently cooking some chicken breasts with onion, stock, garlic powder, and pepper in the crockpot. I'll shred it for chicken salad, quesadillas, etc. for meals this week.

Tomorrow: rump roast with veggies

Wednesday: chicken drumsticks with green beans

Trying to get back into meal planning and trying to free up freezer space so that I can make meals the husband and MIL and kids when I'm away next month.

• Like 2

Well, tonight is pizza out so I'll give you the next few days:

Tu- Jamie Oliver's Chicken in Milk, mashed potatoes, wilted spinach

W- mild Italian chicken sausages served on hot dog buns with sauteed sweet bell peppers and onions, French fries, and salad

Th- crock pot BBQ chicken, steamed broccoli, and brown rice

F- Silver Dollar City succotash, honey lime fruit toss

Edited because baby hit post before I was done! I guess I better pay him some attention for a while. :D

Edited by MrsRobinson
  • Like 1

Tonight: leftover brats and hotdogs that we grilled yesterday, potatoes and salad

Tuesday: Cooking Light chicken pita sandwiches with bleu cheese, maybe with asparagus salad

Wednesday: Frozen stuffed chicken breasts (ham and Swiss or broccoli and cheddar), Rice a Roni, and green beans. Not the healthiest, but easy for a busy week.

Thursday: minor league baseball game with Cub Scouts, so nothing healthy again

Friday: split pea soup in the crockpot to use up a ham bone that's been in the freezer for a while.

• Like 1

Tonight is going to be baked chicken thighs, southern style green beans and corn, mashed potatoes and biscuits.

Tuesday -- probably fiesta chicken, either in burritos or over rice, and salad

Wednesday -- Black bean soup and salad

Thursday -- hopefully leftovers

Friday -- burgers and oven fries

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1

Lamb with a tabouleh made with hulled barley (lots of barley, not much parsley, because raw parsley makes my mouth itch), peas and carrot ribbons, and kale cooked with garlic.

Of course, that's if the barley cooks all right - I forgot to soak it last night!

Not sure on the rest of the week yet.

• Like 1

We just got back from a trip visiting middle son at college.  I'm pretty sure we don't need to eat for at least three days. :laugh:  Both hubby and I managed to gain three pounds in our four day visit.   :glare:

In reality, I'll fry a couple of eggs for breakfast (our chickens didn't take a break - we've got oodles of eggs), probably a basic sandwich (egg salad?) for lunch, and an apple or orange for supper.

My reality was a little off this morning.  We both ended up eating hard boiled eggs for breakfast since I was hard boiling them anyway and I enjoy eating them hot.

I just finished lunch - half a can of refried beans with a sprinkling of colby-jack shredded cheese, microwaved for a minute, then topped with a couple of heaping tablespoons of chunky medium salsa.  Dessert was one of those small Cara Cara oranges.  It was all super tasty.  Hubby is out in the field, so I've no idea what he's doing for lunch.

Dinner... that's right... you asked about dinner... um yeah.  I haven't thought about that yet.  I bought some portabella mushrooms at the store today, so maybe sauteed mushrooms as the main course and brainstorm something on the side?  Or there are still those two lamb steaks in the freezer.  

I've been sort of contemplating stalking a few other posters to see where they live and show up for supper.   :lol:  The hard part might be figuring out exactly when y'all eat.  

Right now I'm about to go outside and get our pony stallion and let him have a meal trimming (grass) around my house.  It's a gorgeous day - just being outside sounds wonderful and I'm sure he'd love a nice springtime treat while getting some mowing done for me.

• Like 1

So, tonight is steak from that, along with sauteed mushroom and some salad, which is also from Costco.  The mix of kale and other stuff in a "kit" with dressing cranberries, and some kind of nut.

We love that salad.  The "nuts" are pumpkin seeds by the way.  I also love how it keeps well once open unlike regular lettuce mixes. 

I think the kids are going to eat leftovers and DH and I are going out to eat with a gift certificate he got from work.  We normally eat up all the leftovers over the weekend but the kids came home with 5 pizzas Friday night from a youth event and then everyone was gone Saturday so we didn't churn through food like we normally do.  I want to make spaced in my fridge before I start cooking again.

• Like 2

This week:

Chx tortilla soup and green salad

* I think this soup is very healthy. Brown some chx in EVOO with cumin and poultry seasoning on it. Add chopped onion, garlic, red bell pepper, zucchini and 1 chipotle pepper in adobo. Cook about 5 minutes til veggies are soft. Add tomatoes (I used a qt of tomato cocktail from my CSA farmer, but canned tomatoes of any variety work fine.) and chx stock (I used homemade.) Add some cooked or canned black beans. Simmer for a while Add salt to taste. Or more chipotle! Serve with cilantro. Tortilla chips on the side.

Sloppy joes

Quesadillas (= leftovers)

Baked potatoes with toppings.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

Popcorn shrimp (from a box) won out tonight.  I'll admit it.  Neither of us are that much into cooking, esp when he came home from working outside and I just came in from "working" outside. We are having beets on the side (frozen from last year's garden produce), so there's a hint of healthiness to it.

Lamb steaks and marinated mushrooms will be another night - as will the sauteed portabellas.  Not sure which night yet.  It will depend upon what we do during the days this week.

Popcorn. I had popcorn. I gave DS leftover pizza. Dd and DH will fend for themselves. We had Buffalo Wild Wings for lunch. DS is their MDA ambassador so we like to check in during the drive. Everyone was just too full to care about food until it got late.

I'm basically here to steal ideas. I'm in a rut. I think I'll steal the breakfast burrito idea. A friend is giving me so e rockfish, so I'll have to figure out what to do with that.

• Like 2

My dinner plan changed oh-so-slightly. As I was prepping dd asked if we were having chicken pot pie. I had no plans to make crust. Or to bake. So I just left out the curry powder and we had chicken stew over rice. I think that went over better than the curry would have anyway.

• Like 1

I have to do a lot of driving back and forth this evening, so I am making something easy.  We'll have a big green salad with lots of vegetables and I'm going to cut up leftover chicken breast to put on it.  I'll probably pick up a loaf of French bread to go with it (for the bread eaters in the house).  

• Like 1