Menu

Please tell me these aren't coming back!

DawnM

I'm not surprised a wider leg is coming back, we've been in skinny pants a while now so they will want people to start buying something new.

Really, I think a variety is nice, different people look good in different styles.  Only a few people can pull off the extreams, but those ones can really look quite amazing.

• Like 3

Well, it's official. Clothing designers have truly lost their ever loving minds!

What they've truly lost is their creativity.

I know there's not really anything new under the sun, but you'd think they'd go back to something more classic. Gimme some Chanel, yknow? Something classic and flattering.

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 6

I was just on my dd's campus this weekend, and I swear, it was like the girls had dragged out all the clothes we left behind in the 80's. All the rayon. All the colors. All the cabbage roses. All the high waisted jeans. All the duck boots! Next up: Penny loafers, slouchy socks, and two polo collars turned up. After that, guess what folks? The future/past is grunge!

I am sticking with my 'uniform' - black skinny jeans and a black or grey cotton long sleeve tee with a neutral cotton cardi over the top if needed. Never goes out of style. :) Bonus: I can dye it all every once in a while to freshen it up!

Oh, I hope grunge comes back. SOoooo comfy. Put on some baggy jeans with a cozy flannel shirt and big warm boots. Please, let grunge come back! No worrying about a bit of a tummy or a saggy bottom. Everything is all covered up. Maybe wear a flowerly dress and sturdy shoes. With socks. Oh love it!

Edited by Garga
  • Like 12

<snip>

I read about the culotte trend in Glamour magazine a few months ago and got angry with it. I've been reading that magazine since high school, so over 25 years. I clearly remember article after article making fun on culottes and then, without any irony, they had an article about how flattering and comfortable culottes were. I mean, if they'd said, "Ok, we've made fun of these in the past, but now we think they're ok for this year, but certainly not next year," then I would have been fine. But when these fashion people act like they've discovered something new and wonderful when you know they actually hate the things, it drives me a little crazy. It's as bad as when eggs were bad for you, then they were good for you, or when carbs were bad, but then they were good, etc.

Advertising revenue.  

Gap is pushing culottes?  Gap pays for full-page ads in Glamour?  Glamour loves culottes.

(Not picking on Glamour.)

• Like 5

Advertising revenue.

Gap is pushing culottes? Gap pays for full-page ads in Glamour? Glamour loves culottes.

(Not picking on Glamour.)

You are SO RIGHT. Half of the magazine is really just advertising, when they write an article about what sorts of shoes go with what pants...it's really just an ad for the shoes and the pants. I'm not sure why I even read it anymore. Habit I think. Edited by Garga
  • Like 2

Oh, I hope grunge comes back. SOoooo comfy. Put on some baggy jeans with a cozy flannel sweater and big warm boots. Please, let grunge come back! No worrying about a bit of a tummy or a saggy bottom. Everything is all covered up. Maybe wear a flowerly dress and sturdy shoes. With socks. Oh love it!

Can I join you in prayer? 

I look so good in grunge. It just works for me.

• Like 4

A few weeks ago my dancing daughter asked for something new she spotted in one of her catalogs...

Palazzo Pants.

https://shop.justforkix.com/dance-bottom-palazzo-pants

I tried really hard not to be horrified by her request, though I didn't offer to actually buy some for her.  Should have known that culottes would be making an appearance soon as well.  Some things in the fashion world should be left to die in peace.

• Like 1

What they've truly lost is their creativity.

I know there's not really anything new under the sun, but you'd think they'd go back to something more classic. Gimme some Chanel, yknow? Something classic and flattering.

But that would involve changing fashion's idea of the ideal female form to be that of a teenage boy.   We can't have that!   

(grumble grumble grumble)  

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=130053

Those aren't "wide-leg crop pants"  Those are culottes!

ETA:  Oh, man, they ARE returning!  Say it isn't so!

http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/culotte-pants

When I saw your title, I said to myself "I hope it is culottes" I LOVED them. But it got where I could not find them in the stores anymore.

My sister thinks I am crazy :)

• Like 2

A few weeks ago my dancing daughter asked for something new she spotted in one of her catalogs...

Palazzo Pants.

I tried really hard not to be horrified by her request, though I didn't offer to actually buy some for her.  Should have known that culottes would be making an appearance soon as well.  Some things in the fashion world should be left to die in peace.

WHOAH!!!!!!!!!  

The SOOOOOOOOUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLL  TRRRRAAAAIIIIIINNNNNN!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

I'm rather partial to the 80's preppy look, personally. I've been waiting for that to come back.

I like that one too, actually. In florida that translated to decent length khaki shorts (not the short shorts of today, and not cargo shorts) and a nice t-shirt or button down or polo. It's not a great look on me personally (polos look awful on me) but I'd rather see people dressed in that than the skin tight super short bra strap revealing trends I see now. Honestly, my bathing suit covers more skin than some of the shorts I've tried on recently. Ugh. 

• Like 3

Oh funny!  I used to have a pair of culottes in the 70's and kind of liked them.  If they're real breezy and flowing, they can look kind of cute I think.  But I thought that Gap pair was ugly.

I do like that look in pants though, which are also coming back.  They can look classy.  Kind of a Katherine Hepburn look.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure I had that Gap pair back in the day at my fundy Christian school.  They were not my favorite pair, of course; my favorite was the pair I MADE MYSELF, thankyouverymuch, out of yellow linen.  They had green piping along the pockets, and I was quite the envy of my classmates.  If only Gap sold a pair in yellow linen with green piping, their financial woes would history.  I should let them know!

• Like 5

No, no, no. I lived culottes the first time around. I still have nightmares about the. Denim guachos jumpsuit my mother made me wear everywhere. I don't need to be reminded of those or culottes.

Gauchos!!  I remember having a pair of denim ones in the 2nd grade and I remember begging and crying not to have to wear them.  I remember wearing them with this hideous crocheted pullover thing that looked like a tank top but was shorter and went over a turtleneck.  Probably wore huge knee socks with them too.  Oh, the humanity.

• Like 3

I was sad when the trend of leggings, tunics and flat heeled, soft boots to the knee went out of style.  Dressing like Robin Hood every day was fantastic!

I couldn't get into the newer riding boot phase.  The last time I had those boots on as a kid I was literally shoveling sh!t.

I do like Greco-Roman inspired footwear trend right now. 

Apparently I like a costume influence, but not anything inspired by life in the shire.

• Like 9

Sigh. They're fine. Depends on your body type. Judge much?

What drives me nuts is not any particular cut of pants but that they come into and out of fashion with such vengeance at all. Most styles of pants are fine for at least a couple of body types and terrible for others, yet we're all supposed to wear the same thing because it's in. And you can't find the other options. So high waist or low, skinny, boot cut or wide leg, long legged or ankle or cropped, fitted or flowy, prints or solids... somehow whatever's in is supposed to work for you and the thing that does work isn't available. 

• Like 9

Eh, yeah, more of the same.  It wasn't long ago (maybe 10-12 years?) that they were back and being referred to as 'gauchos'.  :rolleyes:

I never wore them by any name, in my entire life.  But all the blind trend followers sure did.  

That said, I think most cropped pants are ugly.  I hate capris.

• Like 1

Oh, I hope grunge comes back. SOoooo comfy. Put on some baggy jeans with a cozy flannel sweater and big warm boots. Please, let grunge come back! No worrying about a bit of a tummy or a saggy bottom. Everything is all covered up. Maybe wear a flowerly dress and sturdy shoes. With socks. Oh love it!

This. You have to be super skinny and very young and then you look good in anything. But no one else can possibly wear them.

I read about the culotte trend in Glamour magazine a few months ago and got angry with it. I've been reading that magazine since high school, so over 25 years. I clearly remember article after article making fun on culottes and then, without any irony, they had an article about how flattering and comfortable culottes were. I mean, if they'd said, "Ok, we've made fun of these in the past, but now we think they're ok for this year, but certainly not next year," then I would have been fine. But when these fashion people act like they've discovered something new and wonderful when you know they actually hate the things, it drives me a little crazy. It's as bad as when eggs were bad for you, then they were good for you, or when carbs were bad, but then they were good, etc.

This is why I can't take fashion people (or to a lesser extent interior designers) very seriously.  If they just said - this is what we are doing now, that would be fine.  But this idea that now we somehow know better, even though last fashion cycle we all said this was awful, is just hard to take.

I mean really, surely we all knew that after the flares went out and we changed to skinny pants, we'd soon see high waists again.  Surely we all knew that granite countertops would become passe.  Do we really have to pretend these things represent some kind of enlightenment?

• Like 3

Does 'fashion' really exist anymore, though?

Like, I was just thinking that even when I was in high school (graduated in 2000), people wore what they liked.  There wasn't 'clothes judgement' - does that even exist, ever?  I can see it maybe in a middle school environment, I guess... but thinking about everything for the last 20 years, no one has ever really cared what other people wore.  People didn't say 'oh, this is fashionable, therefore I HAVE TO HAVE IT' on a large scale, unless it happened to be something they liked anyway.  

Idk.  I just didn't think 'being fashionable' was really a thing anymore.  I see a lot of PPs saying they 'aren't fashionable' but I don't even know what that would be, as there are a gazillion different ways that fashion looks nice or fine or whatever - and most people don't even look at or notice what other people wear, so it's all individual and down to what a person likes.  If I like one thing and someone else doesn't, that doesn't make one or the other more fashionable, we all just interpret it differently.  

Granted, I see clothes 100% as a form of artistic/creative expression.  So maybe there's a whole world of cutthroat 'fashionableness' that I know nothing about - idk.  But I've also not seen it in action anywhere, either.

• Like 2

Noooooo!!!! Those who don't know history really are doomed to repeat it I guess. My biggest memory of stirrup pants is trying to keep them from falling down. Of course my butt is much larger now so that might remedy that if hell were to freeze over and I wear them. Although, if someone could find me so extra fluffy scrunch socks and my Reebok high tops I might could pull it off.....oh and an off the shoulder sweat shirt.

My husband still wears Reebok high-tops from the 80s lol.  

I don't like them. But I'm so glad to see a style moving far away from skinny jeans-I want that trend to die

I'm not sure these are any better but heck yes on the skinny jeans. I have horrible flashbacks of my mom's awful 1980's tapered jeans....because that is what skinny jeans are....tapered jeans. They look terrible on 90% of people imo. If I could convince my daughter (who has a rocking puerto rican butt that looks HUGE in skinny jeans) to ditch the skinny jeans I would be the happiest mother in all the land! 

I'm going to continue wearing what works for my particular body type. Boot cut and flared jeans for the win and skirts when I can't find the right kinda jeans or need to dress up. 

I don't like.

I'm still waiting on baggy jeans and over-sized flannel shirts to come back in style. :laugh:

Come to Australia...that style never went out

As for cullottes...they were a uniform option when I did nursing. I refused to wear them and wore an uncomfortable skirt instead... there are just some things that should never be worn...even for comfort.

I've never seen a woman they looked good on.

• Like 1

I'm not sure these are any better but heck yes on the skinny jeans. I have horrible flashbacks of my mom's awful 1980's tapered jeans....because that is what skinny jeans are....tapered jeans. They look terrible on 90% of people imo. If I could convince my daughter (who has a rocking puerto rican butt that looks HUGE in skinny jeans) to ditch the skinny jeans I would be the happiest mother in all the land! 

I'm going to continue wearing what works for my particular body type. Boot cut and flared jeans for the win and skirts when I can't find the right kinda jeans or need to dress up. 

YES! I actually did buy one pair of skinny jeans, the sales lady talked me into them. I HATE them. I never wear them. The are awful things. 

What's funny is everyone tells me that boot cut jeans are no longer in style, BUT, when I wear them I always get compliments. So in style or not, people must think they look good!

• Like 3

Sigh. I just bought three pairs of skinny jeans for my 16yo son. He won't wear anything else.

To be fair, that's who they look good on the most consistently - teenagers, as they are often still stick thin.

My poor tweens would like to wear skinny jeans and they're skinny, but they have long torsos and thus long inseams. None of them fit right.

• Like 3

My son looks great in skinny jeans, because he's 10lbs or more underweight, so they fit like regular jeans should fit, lol. On me....no. Just no. I feel like a denim sausage. 

Plus, jeans should be about comfort and practicality and skinny jeans ruins both of those things. 

• Like 4

Palazzo Pants.

Palazzo pants came back at least a couple of years ago.  Dd was wearing them last year, and she picked them up someplace like Plato's Closet, so they were a few months old when she got them.

• Like 1

Palazzo Pants.

Those are beautiful pants, and I think would look lovely being danced in - really flowy.  So nice.

Kelly

• Like 1

I wear Capris and other (apparently) ugly pants because they're comfy. And because I don't give a fig if I do look like a stumpy troll. So, when the fashion world says they've come back "in", I'm not jumping on a bandwagon...I'm waving others aboard, yelling "Join me! It's comfy up here!"

*raises fist in air*

Long live capris!

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 5