Menu

What do you think of molar sealing for kids (to prevent cavities)?

madteaparty

I don't trusts dentists, and have good reason for this.

This is the second dentist in 3 years to recomend the sealing. DS is almost 12 and other than needing some major orthodontia in the near future, he has healthy teeth. We have a decent diet and he has never had a cavity. What says the hive?

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1

I think those sealants are great. I always prefer prevention. Just because your child hasn't had a cavity doesn't mean he won't get any.

Oh I agree about the cavities I'm prone to them. Every dentist asks me how much coke I drinknand candy I eat (answer: none). It doesn't automatically mean the answer is sealants though :)
  • Like 2

My son had a cavity EARLY in life.  When offered to do sealants I said yes.  Interestingly, this tooth's sealant had fallen out and he had a cavity.  Our teeth has lot of crevices compared to other teeth apparently and are prone to cavities.  I had a lot of them as a kid.  I sealed both kids teeth.  And the only tooth to lose a sealant got a cavity.  I think it's worth it since dental insurance pays for it.  Getting that cavity filled was DRAMA for my sensitive kid.  The dentist was pretty irked with his behavior that day.  If we had to do more I think she would have sent us else where LOL

• Like 3

Once the molars are the permanent set, sealants are useful if your family is cavity prone.

There are lots of choices for sealants. My parents and grandparents generation has mercury filled amalgams. It is a calculated risk.

I had sealant on my primary molars and secondary molars back in the early 80s. It was helpful in reducing the worry of cavities. My DS10 is prone to cavities despite brushing properly and had a metal cap on his primary molar. He would need sealant more than DS11 would.

• Like 1

18yods was cavity prone as a child.  He had four cavities when he was four years old, and several more after that.  As soon as his permanent molars came in, we had them sealed, and he never got another cavity.  

19yodd never had cavities, but we had her permanent molars sealed as well.  She still has never had a cavity.

10yodd hasn't had her's sealed yet, but thanks for the reminder.  I'm gonna mention it to the dentist.

I have them done for my kids as soon as they can do it. I wish I had it available when I was a kid. I had the metal fillings as a kid and had to get them redone (with composite) because of failure. I had to get a crown on one tooth because the original filling was too big to replace. I have one of the composites that is going to fail soon and will also need a crown because of the size of it. I will do everything in my power to prevent that for my kids.

• Like 2

Oh I agree about the cavities I'm prone to them. Every dentist asks me how much coke I drinknand candy I eat (answer: none). It doesn't automatically mean the answer is sealants though :)

This is me!! I have the worst teeth, ever. My parents did all the preventative stuff but it didn't help. My hubby had none of this and he hasn't had a single cavity.
  • Like 2

DS's dentist keeps pushing them, we keep refusing them.  DS  has not had cavities and has excellent oral hygiene.  He also used xylitol for a number of years.  I don't see the need for them (for *him*) and I don't like the idea of plastic in his mouth.

Edited by bibiche
  • Like 3

I guess I will be the one naysayer. There were multiple case studies of sealants failing after about 10 years. This would cause a minute bubble under the sealant material allowing bacteria to flourish increasing the risk of cavities. This risk would go away if the sealant was removed and replaced.

We chose to not do them, therefore, because I did not want to subject my children to future dental costs. Instead, we taught adequate brushing technique which has worked well even through braces. DS35 does not have a filling either. (He missed the recommendation for sealants.). DH and I have mouths full of fillings, yet, we were never taught good brushing techniques until adulthood.

Finally, I just had a nagging gut reaction about filing down the toughest substance in nature and replacing it with a simple polymer. It just didn't make good sense to me.

I may change my mind after sealed teeth make it to age 90 and do better than unsealed teeth.

• Like 4

My husband's dentist sealed his molars when he was a kid.  He has never had a cavity, and his sealants are still there (30+ years later).  I have several fillings from childhood.  My teeth are awful.  I take much better care of my teeth than dh.  Since we are not sure which set of teeth our children have, we opted to have theirs sealed.  So far they seem to have his teeth - no cavities, but lots of orthodontic work.

• Like 1

Finally, I just had a nagging gut reaction about filing down the toughest substance in nature and replacing it with a simple polymer. It just didn't make good sense to me.

I may change my mind after sealed teeth make it to age 90 and do better than unsealed teeth.

I'm not sure what you mean by filing down the toughest substance.  There isn't any filing done.  It's just something they paint on top of the teeth. Takes just a couple of minutes to do four teeth.

• Like 7

There was no filing when my kids had their teeth sealed.  Just FYI.

• Like 2

I guess I will be the one naysayer. There were multiple case studies of sealants failing after about 10 years. This would cause a minute bubble under the sealant material allowing bacteria to flourish increasing the risk of cavities. This risk would go away if the sealant was removed and replaced.

We chose to not do them, therefore, because I did not want to subject my children to future dental costs. Instead, we taught adequate brushing technique which has worked well even through braces. DS35 does not have a filling either. (He missed the recommendation for sealants.). DH and I have mouths full of fillings, yet, we were never taught good brushing techniques until adulthood.

This is my issue. 

I go out of my way to avoid plastic, I store things in glass, etc. and now I am supposed  to coat my kid's teeth in plastic, permanently? Ugh. Decisions.

• Like 2

Sealants aren't new. I'm 43 and got them when I was a kid. (Ever so long ago...).

My boys have them. I don't think the dentist is trying to con you. I think it's pretty standard in dental care and in a good way, not in a money-grubbing kind of way.

• Like 1

Sealants aren't new. I'm 43 and got them when I was a kid. (Ever so long ago...).

My boys have them. I don't think the dentist is trying to con you. I think it's pretty standard in dental care and in a good way, not in a money-grubbing kind of way.

I don't think it's money grubbing either. I agree it is standard procedure but there are other standard procedures I don't agree or follow with my kids, such as hep B vaccine at birth and antibiotics for ear infections...
  • Like 1

I'm on the fence. I had all my molars sealed as a child, then went on to need all of them filled as an adult because the sealants fell out or wore away or something. I don't think my dentist was a great one so maybe they were just done poorly? I also didn't go to the dentist very often as a young adult. But I can understand the benefits if the molars are so deep that regular brushing can't clean in there. Although you can buy the Waterpik things and those could probably clean them out.

Sorry this is rambling. I guess my advice is that if you choose to have it done just make sure your kids know to see a dentist regularly later on to keep an eye on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if it was suggested to my parents and they declined? Something else I can be mad them about. (Laughing)

I was born in the 70s. The dentist suggested sealing the molars for me because I had cavities issues and motor skills delay issues. It was costly because my parents prefer to use a private dental office instead of the dental office covered by my parents' insurance.

It wasn't suggested for my cousins who are around my age group because of cost most likely.

ETA:

My molars were sealed when I was six.

Edited by Arcadia

My son's former dentist harassed me for so long about those da*n sealants, I told them I wanted it noted in his file that they were never to mention them to me again. Ever! They tried scare tactics "all the children that don't get them come back six months later with a mouth full of cavities" and guilt "now, why aren't we going to take care of Ds's teeth, this isn't fair to ds". This is a child who was 11 or 12 and the only cavity he'd ever had was on a baby tooth that had had a sealant put on it, which I didn't have filled because he was getting ready to lose it (though they would have loved to fill it). So, I was not going to spend $600 on sealants.

I've also had a dentist lie to me about cavities. I went to him to get a tooth repaired and he discovered all kinds of cavities, even though I'd never had any before. I don't know how many fillings I went in for before I caught him in his lies. The last time I went in, he told me I needed to come back for 2 more fillings and then that would be it. Well, when I went in for those, he must have forgotten he had told me those were the last two because he told me there were two more. I raced back to my old honest dentist and he said I did not have any cavities.

Eta: And I am not against sealants for children that need them, but my son clearly did not. It's been 5 years and he still hasn't had a cavity.

Edited by OnMyOwn
  • Like 1

I was just thinking to post the same question. I really don't like the idea of plastic in their mouth. DS has had only one cavity in his permanent tooth, and the dentist commented how well he brushes and that his teeth were unusually clean. Then she suggested sealants. I don't think I'll do them. I'm surprised to see how many have them done. An exception for me would be a child whose teeth were ruined my medication or illness.

As the OP I refuse or question many "routine" procedures.

• Like 1