Menu

What do you collect?

learning2gether

Lately I have had the urge to start collecting Disney items.  I've searched Amazon, Ebay, and even watch tons of YouTube videos on Disney collections.  The problem is that although I love the idea of having a collection, I can't bring myself to spend money on a collection.  I think I would love to have little bits of Disney throughout my home.  I think it would make me smile, but I'm just not sure that I'm going to convince myself to actually spend the money.  

So what do you collect and does it actually add to your happiness?  Does it ever just feel like more stuff?  How do you convince yourself to spend money on your collection or am I the only one having this issue?

• Like 1

I guess Pandora charms are the closest I come to collecting anything.  And I'm still working on filling out my first bracelet, so my collection isn't exactly extensive (yet).  It gives me happiness each time I wear it since so many of the charms reflect something that we've done, are interested in, etc.  It doesn't really feel like more stuff since it takes up so little room.

• Like 2

I have several things I collect but I've never gone overboard with it. I pass up more than I purchase. I don't like spending lots of money but some items just call my name and I've not regretted it.

buttons

Amish like dolls and raggety ann

books-  the last few years I've been searching for old/vintage housekeeping books

nativity sets

• Like 1

I'm a deliberate collector. I have a few collections, and I'm considering adding another one. However, for me, the key is quality items that mean something to me, not just large collections for the sake of collections.

I collect coffee mugs from places that are important to me: the state where I grew up, the college I attended, the location where we honeymooned, the places I've lived since then. I don't usually add a coffee mug from places I visit, but Disney cruises have become such a valued part of my life that I added a mug from Disney Cruiselines ... two mugs, actually, because I was having such a hard time deciding that my husband announced he wanted one too, just so I'd have a "reason" to buy two. I have a total of maybe 10 mugs that mean something to me, and they were chosen carefully to represent the place. I add, on average, one every two years--whenever we move. I rarely add one for a vacation.

I collect Disney pins, but again, I collect them carefully, to mean something. I have a pin that represents my first cruise, one for each of the two ships I've cruised on, one for the itinerary of my second cruise ... I didn't think to get one to represent the itinerary of my first one but I'm hoping for another chance at that one! I'll get another itinerary pin on my next cruise, though it'll be a repeat of the ship, so I won't get a new one of those. Contrast that to my husband and daughter, who each have 10+ pins just because they liked them.

I collect wall art from the countries where we've been assigned. We went a little overboard on items from our first post, but we've scaled back since then.

I collect "treasures" from our travels--pottery, sculptures, something that represents the place. Some is from vacation travel; most is from places we've lived. This is the collection where I have to be the most careful. I can go overboard pretty easily here, but I try to contain myself to only pieces that I love. Most of these items are small and display well in our china cabinet.

We collect Christmas ornaments--one per person per year, carefully selected to represent that person's year. I also just joined a Secret Sisters group this year, so I'll be adding that collection over the years.

My husband collects figurines that represent the Disney cruise ships we've been on--each ship has a statue of its captain in the atrium, and they sell miniatures. We have two. I'm hoping to complete the set, but realistically, I'm thinking we'll add one more someday.

I want to start collecting Nativity sets. I wish I'd started back at our first post ... one from each country would be fun :) But I have one from our second post, and I love the ones available here (our fourth post), so I'm certain I'll buy one next year.

Edited to add: Yes, my collections do add joy to my life. If I don't tend to smile when I see it, it goes away. My china cabinet is full of treasures--ones from our travels around the world, plus the Disney captains, plus a super fun Stitch we bought on board ... I'm well aware that it probably looks overfilled with clutter to many people, but I can't help but smile when I look at it. To me, it's full of beautiful memories. That's why I collect things ... actually, that's what I really collect: beautiful memories, and the things that bring them to mind.

Edited by Aiden
  • Like 4

I have collected Shirley Temple memorabilia since I was 12.  Mostly paper items (magazines, scrapbooks, photos, books, etc.) and I store them in a glass fronted cabinet in our bedroom.  I collected more before I had children, but have started to add a few items a year in the past few years.   My 18yr old dd  got me another ST scrapbook from the 1930s for Christmas. Since the internet came along, prices are much lower than they were when I was a teenager in the 1980s, but I also have less to spend on things that aren't essential. 

I also collect books. Lots and lots of books. I enjoy having them around and perusing at my leisure. 

I hope you find something you enjoy collecting. 

Cindy

• Like 1

Aside from books, LOL, I collect yarn, cast iron cookware, and handmade pottery from a local artist friend. The nice thing about the pottery is that it's decorative AND useful/functional. I use it frequently (I drink my coffee from the same mug every single day), but it looks pretty on a table as well. The other nice thing is that I've been collecting it for about nine years, so I have a fair amount, but it's not too expensive to buy a piece or two at a time, so I don't feel badly about indulging once a year or so, and the larger/more expensive pieces have made very nice gifts.

I collected picture frames for a while, because I like having novel ones, and they make a great gift item because I'm not terribly picky about them and enjoy when someone else chooses something that catches their eye with me in mind. I've put that on hold for a few years though because we are remodeling slowly, and I want a better idea of what we want where (wall vs. table, etc.). I'm not likely to buy those for myself, however, just because; I'm more likely to buy something with a specific picture in mind. Same with the yarn; I generally buy with a project in mind, although I might change my mind later.

And if four makes a collection, I also have a collection of small blond boys at my house, hahaha. They're totally fun!

• Like 1

Lately I have had the urge to start collecting Disney items.  I've searched Amazon, Ebay, and even watch tons of YouTube videos on Disney collections.  The problem is that although I love the idea of having a collection, I can't bring myself to spend money on a collection.  I think I would love to have little bits of Disney throughout my home.  I think it would make me smile, but I'm just not sure that I'm going to convince myself to actually spend the money.  

So what do you collect and does it actually add to your happiness?  Does it ever just feel like more stuff?  How do you convince yourself to spend money on your collection or am I the only one having this issue?

Well, as someone who has been to Disneyland more than 30 times, collecting Disney stuff is definitely interesting. However, I only have things I bought when I was actually there (or one of my daughters buys for me when *she* was there). :-)

I collect 12 days of Christmas...things. Some are actual collections, or part of collections (because I started collecting after everyone else had, lol); some are ornaments that represent maids a'milking or ladies dancing. :-) I have a couple of books, a cookbook, some tins, an afghan, and lots of ornaments. I have two sets of House of Hatten ornaments, collected over a period of several years at after-Christmas sales.

Apparently I collect nativity sets. :-)

I have many Boyds' Bears figures, both Christmas and non-Christmas. Those were fun to collect--all over California, Texas, and Virginia.

I have some Jim Shore figures, a few of which overlap into 12 Days of Christmas.

I accidentally collected cobalt blue tea pots and mugs and whatnot. :-)

I also had a collection of tea pots, but I'm over that, lol.

And books. I love old books, especially children's classics, especially if the covers are beautimous.

• Like 1

I hadn't really thought about it as collecting, but I guess I collect Christmas decorations.  I like buying a decoration when we travel somewhere new.  It doesn't seem like more stuff because they all get packed away after Christmas.  I like having them because it reminds me of the trips we've taken.  I don't like a lot of stuff around the house so that's probably why I've bought Christmas decorations while we travel instead of buying other kinds of souvenirs.  

• Like 2

Besides books, I have a collection of angels, most from willow tree and some from jim shore. Some I inherited from grandmother and my mom. Yes, they contribute to my happiness although I'd be just as happy with out them because they are just things. However, they help me to ponder upon life, meditate, contemplate, dream, and write. They provide memories of good times and places and of loved ones.

Dust. No, it doesn't add to my happiness. Yes, it always feels like MORE DUST AGAIN! I spend money on different dust cleaning tools, but the dust always wins. 

• Like 11

I've collected christmas ornaments.  when I was growing up - christmas was so stressful, I looked most forwards to the decorations.  the collection was an attempt to fill a hole.  Now . . . .

i've offered ornaments for my girls in their own homes.  I've thought of selling some too - just to get rid of them. there are some I enjoy - many just take up space. (we downsized our tree - so my collection of the 12 days of christmas are across my mantel. dh enjoys them there.  I'd rather sell them, as they just feel like "too much" there.   I certainly don't have room on my tree anymore.)

I have to *really* like one to buy it.  Now I only buy ornaments of vacation spots, first christmases to commemorate: babies, marriages, etc.  

I once attended an estate sale where the woman collected thimbles.  she had custom drawers in a cabinet in her living room, all full of thimbles.  I told my family - if I ever get that bad - shoot me.

eta: my aunts/grandmother/mother collected tea-cups. I inherited ALOT. I got rid of most, and stored the rest in a box.  I just gave them to dd.  she wanted them, and I was glad to be rid of them as the box just collected dust and I never used them.

there's so much I'd just like to get out of my house . . . .

Edited by gardenmom5

Books, mostly.

I collect pieces for the 5" fontanini nativity. Yes, it DOES make me happy. It also makes me happy because it's only out for short period of time in my small house. It makes it extra special. And for the 10 other months of the year I don't have to deal with the "clutter".

( my kids also really like this nativity, if anyone is looking for one, because the pieces are nearly indestructible.)

• Like 1

Books and, at Christmas time, Santas.  I try to buy one new Santa every year.  This year, my kids gave me one as my Christmas present.  By only getting one per year, my collection grows, but slowly, and I get happiness out of revisiting my collection every December.  And my books, well, doesn't everyone get happiness from a new book? :D

I used to collect dolls.  i never had very many, and they live in DD's room right now.  I always wanted a big collection, but now I don't have the time, money, or really the passion for it at the moment.  I have a collection of spoons.  My best friend bought a lot of them when she would travel around, and my grandfather made me a beautiful spoon rack for them.  I don't usually buy many anymore, but I have them hanging on the wall in my dining room.  Right now my collection is pens.  I have a large assortment of sharpies and gel pens.  I am not sure it is a proper collection though.

I have had various collections over the years. Things have happened over the years to destroy/lose them though. I collected stamps, coins, cartoon books (Peanuts, For better or Worse, Dilbert), the Star Trek NG customizable collectable card game, Scouting and Guiding uniforms, Scouting and Guiding books etc.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Add me to the dust bunny collectors. My mother always said they are the perfect pets. You don't have to feed them or water them or walk them and they will.continue to multiply and grow.

I hate knick knacks or dust collectors as my mother called them (can't imagine where my dislike comes from).

I have items that make me happy but no collections.

• Like 1

When I was a teenager, I had 9 or so glass roses.  They were all gifts. I have them in the attic, but I don't know why I have saved them.  

Over half a dozen Christmases MIL bought me about 8 of the Jim Shore Santa and/or Snowmen.  This year, she gave me cash, so I am guessing that tradition has ended.  She is sympathetic to the 'spontaneous collection' because she ended up with hundreds of pigs, after buying one or two that she thought were cute.  I did enjoy the Jim Shore, and she always asked before buying me a new one.  I didn't really mind because they were often the only present I received on Christmas and they were only on display for a month of the year. 

Those are the only things I have collected and they were collected for me. I just don't have a desire to collect things. 

I just realized, that I I collect Christmas ornaments for the kids but there really isn't a patter to it, other than one fun one a year, and one fancy one.  They get the fun ones when the move out for real (Not just off to college) and the fancy ones when they get married or at least permanently stable (buy a house, have a career,  or just hit 30yo Lol etc-pretty much what ever happens first)

Edited by Tap

Old pre-movie oddments like zootropes, stereopticons and the 3-d photocards for same, etc. Wish I could find a decent not overpriced old magic lantern. I have some old cylinder wax Edison "records' on display, too. Plus old cameras, from Grandma's old box Brownie to my childhood Polaroid Swinger (points if you remember the commercial jingle!) I kinda like to collect stuff from the turn of the century through WWII. Fits my 1906 house. I also have a gazillion magnets on my 'fridge, as we collect cheap ones from every interesting place we visit on our travels. Magnets make cheap souvenirs, and you see them and are reminded of your trip every time you open the 'fridge.

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 1

My mom used to collect stuff for the sake of it, and I can't stand it. I have to stop buying books, I don't buy scrapbooking supplies (after totally overdoing it on that), and I love coffee mugs and Christmas tree ornaments, but I am trying really hard to stop buying those. This year I only bought one ornament on clearance for next year, very proud of myself :)

Books, mostly.

I collect pieces for the 5" fontanini nativity. Yes, it DOES make me happy. It also makes me happy because it's only out for short period of time in my small house. It makes it extra special. And for the 10 other months of the year I don't have to deal with the "clutter".

( my kids also really like this nativity, if anyone is looking for one, because the pieces are nearly indestructible.)

Nearly... The cat in my avatar ate the legs off a lamb and half of Baby Jesus. We packed it away after that.

I'm so sorry!

By nearly I mean, my kids have played with them for 10 years and haven't broken any. I can't comment on pets however :-)

It was funny to us. I mean, who would've thought a cat would eat your nativity? He was a very sweet boy with strange tastes. ;)

• Like 2

Doctor Who stuff. :D

I'm working on getting all the DVD's. And by all, I mean ALL. (There are 26 years of classic who that are sold by "story", so 4-6 separate DVD's per year. Plus the 9 new seasons.)

I recently started collecting Funko Pop figures.

I also collect various bits of DW merchandise like shirts, blankets, pillows, cookie jar, mugs....

We get a certain amount of money each pay period that we can just spend on whatever we want, guilt free. It's not much, but can be saved for these small things. Before I got into DW, I just saved it because there just wasn't anything I wanted to buy for myself and I would eventually spend it on the kids. Now I happily spend it on me! It's also all I ask for, so birthday, christmas, and mother's day usually add to my collection.

Yes, it adds to my happiness. I am completely obsessed with DW so when I see these things they make me smile. I seriously got a bit giddy the other day when I had on brand new DW lounge pants, a DW shirt, was clutching a new TARDIS pillow (that lights up when you press the keyhole!), and looking at my line up of Funko Pops. And using my sonic screwdriver alongside the Doctor while I'm watching just makes me happy.....so long as no one else is around to see me do it. :blushing:

Salt and pepper shakers. I only have a few sets, but we use them daily and I really like them. We travel a lot so we thought it would be a fun thing to collect that we'd use regularly. I'm not a "collect stuff and display it but don't touch it" person.

I would have said I don't collect anything, but this reminds me that I do tend to buy wooden spoons when we travel - a hand carved one from Tanzania, coconut from Thailand, that sort of thing. I have them hanging on a kitchen wall.

I wouldn't spend 'real money' on a collection, though, and I wouldn't collect many items as I don't like clutter.