Menu

Am I the first to start a Christmas stocking thread?

Night Elf

I realize that every year we have multiple threads about what on earth to put into stockings. What I'm asking now is, do you have one rocking idea that you're excited about? Besides gift cards and candy. My dd's 23 yr. old boyfriend, dd23, ds19, and dd17.

Edited by Night Elf
  • Like 1

I wish we could stop doing stockings. I hate trying to come up with new ideas to fill them.  Stockings for little kids are fine but I'm tired of doing the same old things every year for my husband and young adults.  Hot cocoa mix, tea, pens, candy ---> all things we have around the house anyway.

• Like 1

I wish we could stop doing stockings. I hate trying to come up with new ideas to fill them.  Stockings for little kids are fine but I'm tired of doing the same old things every year for my husband and young adults.  Hot cocoa mix, tea, pens, candy ---> all things we have around the house anyway.

Exactly! I've never seen the point of doing things like toothbrushes and toothpaste. We get toothbrushes from the dentist twice a year and I always keep extras in the house anyway. Travel size shampoos and conditioners are another mystery. We keep that stuff in the showers, even my youngest who buys a special brand.

• Like 1

Exactly! I've never seen the point of doing things like toothbrushes and toothpaste. We get toothbrushes from the dentist twice a year and I always keep extras in the house anyway. Travel size shampoos and conditioners are another mystery. We keep that stuff in the showers, even my youngest who buys a special brand.

If we traveled a lot, I could see those, especially for someone who had a particular brand/type they liked. 

If my kids were out and on their own, I could see mundane stuff like toothbrushes.  One year when my sister was an Avon lady she gave me a huge box full of products.  Lotion, deodorant, all sorts of stuff.  It wasn't "gifty" stuff but I was single and poor and it freed up money for other things.   So that was a great gift at that time.  For my kids, now, it wouldn't be a gift at all, since they don't buy those things for themselves anyway.

ETA:  Avon lady, haha.  I am sure I should say "Avon Representative" but they were Avon ladies way back then... :-)

Edited by marbel

We do fuzzy socks, trial size toiletries, candy, and then maybe 1 or 2 small gag or cute little gifts. It's more for tradition.

We still put an orange in the bottom of the stockings as well, which I always had in my stocking growing up. I think it's b/c that's the only time of the year my mother got real citrus fruit growing up poor, but I've heard it's related to the 3 kings?

• Like 2

We switch out our toothbrushes four times a year: Easter, first trip of summer, Halloween, and Christmas.  It keeps me from having to remember the every-3-months rule. :laugh:

• Like 2

I always put in funny or crazy or cute socks, even for ds.

Last week we attended a funeral for a old family friend who was more family than friend. Anyway, as we are all sitting in the pews dressed in our best, I look down and see my 24 yo son wearing fox socks. The very same ones I got him for Christmas last year. It made me laugh. Only that child could do something to brighten such a sad event. So I say cute/funny socks for all!

• Like 8

In addition to the usual, a Top Gear magazine, lights for his bike, tube patches and a USA cycling renewal membership. Probably some ski wax and wax brush. Maybe a small bike bag with tools. Easy laces for triathlons.

And food. :)

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 1

Microfiber towels for hair drying

Yeti cups/ koozies- in the south we monogram them

Smathers and Branson -key fobs- card wallets

Winter gloves

Batting gloves

North face beanie

Phone chargers

T-shirts/pj pants

Floaty sunglass strap

Baseball hat/visors

Golf glove

Gift cards- iTunes/Yoghut/Starbucks/steam

I have teen boys, so this doesn't help for younger ones.

Edited by Jan in SC

I love stockings!  For the more adult crowd...

Food stuffs:

- mini jams, honeys, syrups or condiments

- instant coffee or tea bags to keep in dorms or desks (sweetener or creamer if the recipient uses them)

- nice chocolates or candies

- packages of homemade goods

- mason jar mixes of family favorites (pancakes, cookies, soups)

- jerky

- microwave popcorn (or regular popcorn - and fun pop corn seasonings!)

- always an orange

Practical:

- mini umbrellas

- gloves, scarves, hats, earmuffs

- socks (fuzzy, crazy, or just basic)

- tights or leggings

- underwear

- full size  bathroom products (deoderant, toothpaste, etc. I always appreciated this when I was on a super tight budget post-college)

- card holders/small wallets

- collar stays

- watch bands

- phone cases

- hair accessories (running headbands, bobby pins, hairbands, clips)

- coin purse or zippered pouch

- chapstick or lip gloss

- hand lotion or hand sanitizer

- lighter

- small tools

- bandaids or other first aid items

- post it notes

- ties or bow ties

- shoelaces

- travel mugs or water bottles

- small desk calendar

- kitchen items (measuring cups or spoons, wooden spoons, spatulas, hot pads, dish towels, spices, timer, peelers, can openers, wine openers)

Fun

- inexpensive jewelry (don't forget cufflinks for the guys!)

- gift cards

- silly mugs

- pocket games (crosswords, logic, sudoku)

- magazines (either a single magazine or a subscription)

- tickets to something

- magnets

- anything to support a hobby (a nicer upgrade of a small thing, replacements of small things, etc)

- "of the month" subscription (My Subscription Addiction or similar website has tons of ideas)

- DVD/Blue Ray

- books

- copies of old family photos

- fun boxes of matches (candle optional)

- mini lego sets

- set of notecards (and stamps!)

- small grow your own bulb/herb kit

- cocktail accessories (bitters, olives, picks, cocktail napkins, small bottles of alcohol

- goofy or geeky t-shirts

Think Geek, Uncommon Goods, and Easy are some of my favorite places to browse for items or ideas.

• Like 4

Last year I was really tired of doing stockings for my teens.  It cost soooo much to fill them up!  So I basically told them that they could either keep getting stockings or I could use that money to get them one more pretty nice gift.  They both chose to get another gift.  I did end up sewing new, much smaller stockings so they could still get a bit of special candy, but it was such a relief to not have to look for "filler"!  Dh and I quit doing stockings for each other, too.  He was really relieved to be rid of that job!  Lol.  Maybe you could offer your kids an option?

• Like 1

I tend to go for candy, jewelry, and gift cards (amazon/steam/whatever).  Sometimes smaller toys (Skylander characters, shopkins, ...). 

I stopped doing anything that is purely filler.  I hate cheap, junky stuff that is just there because it's small and works in a stocking.  The main reasons I hate those things are 1. no one really wants them and 2. they just add to clutter for no good reason.  I also don't ever put necessities in as gifts.

• Like 1

So far, my non-traditional stocking gifts are digital tire gauges for all of the drivers in the family,and a massive quantity of mechanical pencils for my son who loses them. My daughter who is spending the summer in China is also getting packing bags (the kind you roll the air out of).

That's all I have so far.

• Like 1

IF your DC have a favorite website or Webcomic (especially), check to see if there are print on demand items available on Zazzle, Redbubble, etc. DD is getting several buttons, magnets, and stickers from favorite webcomics/websites this way. I'm also planning to take some of the stickers and put them on cheap spiral notebooks and small sketchbooks, which will fill up more space.

A t-shirt rolled up fills up space, too-and, again,  you can often get them from favorite series.

Giant Microbes and plush organs from iHeartGuts.

Those Pop bobblehead figures, or other fandom toys (Dr. Who legos came out yesterday!)

• Like 2

Stockings are my favorite part of Christmas presents  I love the little surprises, though it does take a bit of work.  

Ideas I didn't see mentioned

Small tools and sand paper

Duck tape in their favorite sports team logo

cleaning supplies for the car

new ornament

if you don't care about the actual orange you can use a chocolate orange instead

nuts - plain, flavored, or fancy

sports socks - for a favorite sport or supporting a favorite team

slinky

if they are into essential oils, one or two more or favorites

craft supplies for anyone who crafts or has mentioned wanting to learn to do something along those lines

card game

new deck of cards or themed deck of cards

snack packs of food you don't normally buy or eat, but that they like

any basic item they forget to buy - lotion for the car and desk happen here

I'm not sure if they still make it, but the Lego calendar is still a hit around here. 

Buff

Can't afford to do stockings this year....those little things add up to so much and usually just get thrown around the house anyway lost in the sea of larger gifts....my boys have hundreds of matchbox cars because of stockings.

This year it will be candy only ...which my kids love getting more then trinkets anyway. Our house is already overflowing with pens, art supplies, tiny notebooks, tiny toys etc.

DH is getting some new underwear lol. In all seriousness, we are NOT a 'socks and jocks' gift family, but there's a very good brandname of underwear here that has a unique design and I decided it was about time DH got some good quality undies, he's never had more than the 5 pack cheapies before. Though, this brandname (bonds)  is not cheap. This may well be the most expensive stocking I've ever filled. He's also getting the current limited edition nespresso capsules for his coffee machine. 

The kids are far easier. I think we have some 'bath bombs', some sand toys to go with their sensory kit gift, some BRIGHT hanging monkey stuffed toys, some 'my little ponies' and the baby has a baby torch. I'll buy some candy the week before christmas and we're set. 

Ok, I found two things for my dd's boyfriend, a pair of Broncos socks and a Wallet Ninja. I got my girls a tube of face mask, hand lotion and foot cream. I'm not getting anything other than candy for my ds. He's not into anything that would translate into a stocking stuffer.

I'm also getting candy, Luna bars, and trail mix.

And I call it good. My Christmas shopping is done. I'm amazed!

• Like 6

Marshalls has logic cards in a small box for $3 that will be a hit here (they have a brain teasers one, too).

I would love to get these for ds16, but the clerk at my local store said she'd never heard of them and it doesn't look like the Marshalls website is set up for ordering (weird). I tried Googling, but got nowhere.

Would you happen to know the brand name or where else they might be available?

Thanks in advance for any help!

• Like 1

Altoids/Ice Chips/equivalent. The kids love those little boxes.

Almonds for dh and I.

Socks of all sorts. I found some double layer ones with sticky soles @ walmart this year for all the girls.

My college kids are all getting a small chef's knife (the grocery store is giving them away for shopping points).

Crazy underwear. This is especially fun getting it for the one boy -- the girls all try to pick out something wild. LOL

Nail polish/makeup brushes for the girls.

Thumb drive or SD card. Emergency take-along charger.

The older kids, the more costly the stockings!!

I would love to get these for ds16, but the clerk at my local store said she'd never heard of them and it doesn't look like the Marshalls website is set up for ordering (weird). I tried Googling, but got nowhere.

Would you happen to know the brand name or where else they might be available?

Thanks in advance for any help!

They are by the Lagoon Group, a British company, I think.  I checked on their website and it looks like maybe the specific cards are discontinued?  They look like this, though:http://www.morselmunk.com/Classic-Logic-Puzzles-p/fga-ul5370d-logicinstant.htm

And they were on a display with lots of other 'retro' looking games by the same company, things like tabletop baseball and pingpong.

• Like 1

They are by the Lagoon Group, a British company, I think.  I checked on their website and it looks like maybe the specific cards are discontinued?  They look like this, though:http://www.morselmunk.com/Classic-Logic-Puzzles-p/fga-ul5370d-logicinstant.htm

And they were on a display with lots of other 'retro' looking games by the same company, things like tabletop baseball and pingpong.

Thanks so much!  I appreciate the info and link!

The adults in my family (there are several because my brothers and sister come to Christmas) decided to start doing stockings again last year. In the past, we'd only done them for kids, but we always liked stockings. So everyone is supposed to bring one stocking stuffer (wrapped and labeled) for each person and some candy. The stocking stuffers range from the funny to the useful to the weird. My sister gave out rubber duckies with football team logos on them last year. This year everyone is getting toys from me, even the adults. Last year everyone got Starbucks gift cards from me. It was SO fun last year seeing all the funny off the wall stuff people gave each other, and we set a low price limit like $5 per gift, so it's not too expensive overall. :)

My kids are getting lotion, fuzzy socks, a couple funny toys from the dollar store, nail polish, make up brush sets, a couple other things I"m blanking out on. :) In the past, they've gotten gift cards, little stuffed animals, pencils and pens. Stocking gifts are small an inexpensive at my house and everyone loves them. :) Last year my two year old got a sippy cup and crackers and fruit gummies. This year ever since Easter, she knows what candy is.

• Like 3