Menu

Homeschooling vs. Traditional Schooling

Guest Olivia21

Guest Olivia21

Growing up, the idea of being homeschooled seemed to be amazing. Having a parent teach while still in pajamas and having anything to eat for lunch wasn’t a bad idea. However, as people got older, this desire changed. Not having group work in class, play school sports, or enjoy school activities didn’t seem fun at all. Even though having the ability to control the learning speed, students who are homeschooled miss the development of social skills, having limited resources and preparedness for the real world.

The development of social skills is crucial in the life of a student. Since homeschooled students miss the ability to mingle with other students, it can cause issues in their social development that can affect them later on in life. Traditional students have the chance to interact with other students, teachers, and administrators in numerous ways throughout their school day. The lack of interaction can cause homeschooled students “shyness that comes with not being around other kids, and a tendency to work better as an individual†(The Advantages and Disadvantages). It is essential that students learn how to work with others because future events may force them to interact with others. Soon, parents of homeschooled students would soon have to find other means of socialization for their child, due to not having the ability to do so through school. Students who are homeschooled develop weak social skills due to limited socialization with others.

The type and amount of resources available at school is instrumental to students’ educational growth. Imagine a chemistry class without being able to do lab experiments. The answer would most likely be uninteresting. Homeschooled students feel the same way because the resources they need are not always available to them. Since “schools will have better books, and the teachers will have a better education than a parentâ€the resources traditional students have are better than students who are homeschooled (The Advantages and Disadvantages).Homeschooled students depend on their parents to teach them accurately and efficiently whereas, a traditional student has a qualified teacher that specializes in that subject. Parents are then forced to buy the students’ necessities for each class they are taking, which can cause a financial strain on the family.Qualified teachers also have more experience on different styles of teaching that could assist children in the learning process.Homeschooled students are cheated out valuable learning assets that can affect then tremendously in the future. Furthermore, students who are homeschool miss valuable educational resources that could cause them to struggle in the future.

Issues that develop in high school can help students later on in life. Making deadlines, having conflicts with others, and following disciplinary rules are all issues that can occur in the future. Going through challenges in high school prepares students for similar issues in the future. Traditional students learn how to manage and resolve uprising issues while homeschool students would be oblivious on how to handle the situation. In high school, students learn how to develop relationships with others. Not being able to mingle, homeschool students miss out on learning how to create relationships with others. Homeschool students only see issues that their parent allows to happen, while a traditional student has to deal with every situation that comes. Homeschool students are unaware and have tunnel vision on how life really is due to always being sheltered. Traditional students also have an advantage of being socially diverse and being able to work with different groups of people. This can benefit students tremendously when they become adults. Since homeschooled students are not socially diverse, they will develop problems when asked to work with different people. Once again, homeschooled students lack the ability to handle the real world.

Homeschooled students miss out on valuable tools needed in life. Parents also have a greater responsibility in the education of their child if they teach from home. The thought of homeschooling is disregarded after evaluating all the issues that would come with it. Students gain more knowledge and skills by attending a traditional school. Not only will they enjoy school with friends and be in a real classroom setting, but they will benefit from the experience tremendously. Homeschooling deprives students from social skills, puts limitation on resources, and makes children unprepared for the real world.

9th grade essay? Reminds me of the anti-medicine bs I wrote in high school.

Sadly, it's probably a college essay (judging by the oh-so-original name) in one of the remedial English classes available at most universities. She's probably taking the class because she failed to acquire basic communication skills in high school. Just think how poorly our homeschooled students will write if this is what highly-trained experts produce.

Sadly, it's probably a college essay (judging by the oh-so-original name) in one of the remedial English classes available at most universities. She's probably taking the class because she failed to acquire basic communication skills in high school. Just think how poorly our homeschooled students will write if this is what highly-trained experts produce.

Why would the name indicate that it's a college essay? Not denying it could be a college essay. Just wondering what the name says about it.

• Like 1

Ooooo! I used to work for a test prep company. Our students were given assignments to write essays and my job was to assess the essays. I can hardly stop myself from assessing this essay. Oh, so many mistakes! I don't even care about content; it's the grammatical mistakes that are jumping out at me.

Must. Not. Assess. The. Essay.

• Like 10

If it's a college essay it's a really bad one. It cites one source, a website at that, not an academic journal, and makes many assertions without on any citations to back the claims up.

"Imagine taking chemistry and not having the resources to go to a lab or do experiments." Cute! Maybe I should link a chemistry set you can buy online....

• Like 2

Oh my goodness, I never thought about science experiments! And....books? Do we need books? Looks like I better let the kids out of the basement too. I'm so busy controlling every aspect of my kids' lives so that they don't go through any challenges or hard issues, how will I find time to address these startling new revelations?

• Like 9

GROUP-WORK.jpg

This made me laugh so hard! My dds are in ps and oldest has been working on a group project in a 20th Century Lit class. She finally was fed up with the other members not pulling their weight and actually went to the teacher. Dd didn't even get to complete her first sentence before her teacher said she knew what was going on and was already grading her individually. This wasn't the first time but dd has been getting so frustrated with those types of projects and doing the bulk of the work. So, these projects really seem to be a lesson in how to advocate for yourself and not tell off your classmates. 

• Like 6

I just can't get over how horribly written this is. Olivia clearly has no idea how dreadfully bad the writing is or she'd never put this online. The mistakes are making me twitch. It's like looking at a crooked picture on the wall. I want to straighten it.

That line about a chemistry class not having experiments, followed by the line, "The answer would most likely would be uninteresting," doesn't make any sense. She didn't ask a question, so she can't write "the answer...".

URGH. I'm assessing the essay after I said I wouldn't! Must. Leave. This. Thread.

• Like 8

I just can't get over how horribly written this is. Olivia clearly has no idea how dreadfully bad the writing is or she'd never put this online. The mistakes are making me twitch. It's like looking at a crooked picture on the wall. I want to straighten it.

That line about a chemistry class not having experiments, followed by the line, "The answer would most likely would be uninteresting," doesn't make any sense. She didn't ask a question, so she can't write "the answer...".

URGH. I'm assessing the essay after I said I wouldn't! Must. Leave. This. Thread.

I love the part about how schools have better books and teachers are better educated than parents.

Obviously this person has never been to, well, pretty much any school ever.

• Like 4

I don't think anyone is going to come back for Olivia's defense, and I don't even homeschool. It's a ridicule thread not a debate thread.

Actually, it's spam. Really excellent spam from which the mods removed the link so that we could ridicule it for our own enjoyment.

• Like 19

I hope Olivia comes back.  I see her last visit was 5:20 pm shortly after her post, so she doesn't know she started a genuine thread.  

Maybe instead of being 21 she is 12 and dyslexic.  That is my theory.  

"limited resources"

(laughs while blowing a raspberry)

DD already has more kids books than the local library.  I might have a book problem.  She has better art/craft supplies than I ever had in school.  And she goes to art classes in a genuine art studio twice a week, bringing home much more impressive projects.  She owns the teaching toys that I'd been allowed to play with once like counting bears and c-rods.  

• Like 5

:coolgleamA:  Wow, this plus the email link my mom sent me from a Facebook message that announces the local school down the street is #1 in our state really makes me want to send my kids to a public school. 

:lol:  :smilielol5:  :rofl:

• Like 2

You should assess. Maybe they posted so they could get assistance!

Ooooo! I used to work for a test prep company. Our students were given assignments to write essays and my job was to assess the essays. I can hardly stop myself from assessing this essay. Oh, so many mistakes! I don't even care about content; it's the grammatical mistakes that are jumping out at me.

Must. Not. Assess. The. Essay.

Some of the choices in tense ("The thought of homeschooling is disregarded after...") make me think this person's first language isn't English. In which case, bravo! This isn't bad.

If English is your first language, I'm so sorry.

My vote is that it was written in Chinese and went through Google Translate.

I can't actually read the essay closely without twitching uncontrollably, but I've had fun reading comments after skimming thought the op! Thanks for the laugh this morning ladies!

• Like 5

DD already has more kids books than the local library. I might have a book problem. She has better art/craft supplies than I ever had in school. And she goes to art classes in a genuine art studio twice a week, bringing home much more impressive projects. She owns the teaching toys that I'd been allowed to play with once like counting bears and c-rods.

My dd's have now taken three outside Physics classes between them, two at ps and one at the CC. They say the CPO lab equipment we got for 8th grade Physics at home was way better than anything they've had in the outside labs. Ironic.

• Like 3

I can't actually read the essay closely without twitching uncontrollably, but I've had fun reading comments after skimming thought the op! Thanks for the laugh this morning ladies!

But the part where Olivia uses quotation marks is actually quoting someone from an answers.yahoo.com question. Which is a little disturbing because it seems to imply that this was a "researched" essay...

This essay reminds me of the plagiarized work that my students would turn in when I used to teach online classes.

• Like 2

Some of the choices in tense ("The thought of homeschooling is disregarded after...") make me think this person's first language isn't English. 

I've read a fair amount of writing by students learning English as a second language, and this really doesn't sound like that to me. It's hard to describe...but there's something charming about ESL constructs that I don't see as I read this (ridiculous arguments notwithstanding!)

I hope Olivia comes back.  I see her last visit was 5:20 pm shortly after her post, so she doesn't know she started a genuine thread.  

Maybe instead of being 21 she is 12 and dyslexic.  That is my theory.  

I'd be very surprised if it was someone that young. The vocabulary, examples, and overall structure sound like someone older to me. 

To me it sounds like one of two possibilities. One, a teen or young adult who struggles with writing but has some underlying skills. Someone who is trying to sound formal without really grasping how to do so. Someone who decides to reword a sentence, changes text on her laptop and then either doesn't re-read the sentence to hear how it sounds, or reads what she *thinks* is there instead of what's actually there. I've had to work a lot with this type of writer, and in another context I'd have much sympathy for the struggles and the amount of time and effort it takes to get this far.

Two, a teen or young adult who thinks a rough draft is the same thing as a final draft, changed some wording mid-thought the way one might in an email, and then never proofread to find the errors. This type of student probably pulled off writing like this in high school and then thought the same would fly in college. (This really reads to me like a response to an English class writing prompt for a 5 paragraph essay.)

Course, why someone chose to spam WTM with it might throw all theories out of the water--I can't make any sense of that piece! (I'm very curious what the spam link was that was removed, LOL!)

• Like 1

I was curious so I fed it through a plagiarism checker to see if it could find the source but it only came back to here. It's so weird to me that this was originally with a spam link. All the other ideas about it made sense - that it was some high school kid's assignment or something. But why would a spambot put this up? It's so bizarre. I do not understand the world of internet spam. 

• Like 3