Menu

English idiom "dressing down"

AndyJoy

Without Googling, do you know the meaning of "dressing down", as in the sentence, "He received a public dressing down."

DH (age 30) said this at work today and was surprised to find that all 7 of his coworkers (aged 22-45) were baffled at his meaning and claimed to have never heard that phrase. Has it fallen out of use?

yes - I know what it means.  yes - I've seen it used at large.  yes - I've associated with those who've used it.

reminds me of the time a friend used the word "fungible" in a class, and only dh laughed at the context.

and dressing down is far more common than fungible . . . .

• Like 1

I think it's a pretty common phrase, and in context, I understand it.

However, when I read only the title of the thread, my first thought was in regard to wardrobe--"dressing down" as opposed to "dressing up." Think versatile clothes--you can dress it up by adding sparkly jewelry and heels, or dress it down by adding a scarf and boots. I think that's the more common usage now, at least among my circles. Maybe that isn't the more common widespread usage, though, since no one else has mentioned it.

• Like 2

I think it's a pretty common phrase, and in context, I understand it.

However, when I read only the title of the thread, my first thought was in regard to wardrobe--"dressing down" as opposed to "dressing up." Think versatile clothes--you can dress it up by adding sparkly jewelry and heels, or dress it down by adding a scarf and boots. I think that's the more common usage now, at least among my circles. Maybe that isn't the more common widespread usage, though, since no one else has mentioned it.

I thought of this meaning at first glance.

I know what it means, but I haven't heard it used in conversation in a long time. Similar terms would be more often used.

• Like 1

Without Googling, do you know the meaning of "dressing down", as in the sentence, "He received a public dressing down."

DH (age 30) said this at work today and was surprised to find that all 7 of his coworkers (aged 22-45) were baffled at his meaning and claimed to have never heard that phrase. Has it fallen out of use?

I know the meaning, but dh is a lawyer and I think it might come up more in legal circles?

• Like 1

Yes, I do. I haven't heard it used in a long time, though.

I did not know that was a British idiom. I'm very familiar with the usage in the military where it seeed to be very common.

• Like 1

I'm familiar with it, but not sure from where. Then again, I'm Canadian which likely has a bit more familiarity with British expressions. I would also not be surprised to here someone use the term to describe going out in workout or grubby clothes, though, as in the opposite of "dressing up". I've never HEARD anyone say that.... but I can imagine someone using it in that context.

Why, yes I do. 

I'm constantly amazed at the things that people in online groups have never heard. 

• Like 1