Menu

Has your life been kinda boring?

Ottakee

I was talking with 2 friends yesterday and compared to them, my life is pretty boring.

I moved from SC to Michigan when I was 3.  Lived there until I was 18, moved 12 miles away to college, got married and moved 12 miles away, then moved 2 miles away, and now back 4 miles away---closer to my childhood home----sorta in a triangle.

I went to college, got married, taught part time for 2 years, started fostering and adopting, homeschooled for 15 years and now have my youngest as seniors in highschool.

One friend lived in the wilds of Alaska in a cabin with no running water or electricity that they built.  They were missionaries in a Native Village in the arctic circle for 15 years, have traveled quite a bit, etc.

The other friend was one of the youngest people ever to become a nurse practitioner as she fast tracked her college 22 years ago.  Then her and her husband traveled all over the world on 6-10 week mission trips to places like Rwanda, Cameroon, borders of Afghanistan, the Soviet union right after its collapse, etc.  She delivered a baby for high ranking official in a war torn country, was on a bus that rebels boarded and took all of the men hostage.  She has adopted, bio, and foster kids, writes books, teaches at colleges occ., etc.

Compared to them, my life just seems pretty boring.  I have never even spent the night outside of the USA.  I went to Canada for a day trip my senior year of highschool.

I have dreams of a few things I would love to do...........travel to Ireland, possibly visit missionary friends in Italy or Uganda, go on a medical missions trip as a helper/lay medical worker alongside a friend who is a doctor, etc.  Just not sure any of those will ever happen.

One regret I have is that dh and I didn't travel more or do more things before we adopted our kids.  I love them to death but wish we would have taken those first 2 years of marriage to do more.........then again we just didn't have the money for it.  We went from zero kids to adopting 3 in 15 months along with several fosters in there too.

My life is pretty boring compared to some and, I suppose, exciting compared to others.

I've lived in 4 states.  I've traveled outside the US a couple of times.  Most likely I will never do that again and that's kind of sad to me.  I haven't accomplished anything noteworthy.   But then again, I've done things I never thought I would do so who knows what will happen in the future. 

I don't know how old you are but maybe you could start working to make some of those things happen when your kids are up and out.  Oh, looking at your sig, looks like they mostly are just about there. 

:grouphug:  I think adopting and fostering kids is pretty great!

• Like 1

Boring is different to different people.

I think I'm a pretty dull person. I like cows. Gardens. Sewing. Writing.

If I can do it alone, outdoors, I enjoy the peacefulness of my life.

My kids think I am the dullest person ever. I don't ride any of our horse nor our 4 wheeler. I'm not adventurous in the least. I don't even care much for swimming. My ideal day trip would be to go on a long hike with my dh. Nothing too strenuous, just some pretty place with a nice climate.

However, to others, I do have an interesting life. I milk cows and help raise our cattle. I can grow lots of cool stuff. and I write blogs. I cook interesting foods from scratch and make cheese and butter.

Perhaps your life is interesting to someone else.

Maybe you need duller friends so you won't seem as boring? :)

• Like 11

Yeah, my life is boring, but it's happy. I haven't been able to travel anywhere near as much as I would have liked. But the few times that I have (only once overseas), it was a life-changing experience. So I definitely advocate doing some travel once your kids have left home, or whenever it is feasible for you to do so! And in the meantime, you can have a lot of fun dreaming and planning! :)

• Like 1

Sometimes it's all in how you spin your own story. Fostering, adopting, and homeschooling would sound thrilling and exciting to many people.

And sometimes it's a matter of energy. There's a member on this board who has a high strung husband who works non-stop. He gets upset if he sees her relaxing with a cup of coffee. He is always on the go, is highly intelligent, and Gets Things Done. And he wears his wife out. It creates a great deal of tension that she's talked about. Nothing wrong with either person, but they have different basic energy levels. Hers is more normal, his is pretty extreme.

We have other members on the board with kids who speak in front of Senate Committees at the age of 5 (or some such thing--no really, the kid has been fund raising by getting grants for his pet project since he was 5 or 6. I don't remember the details, but it's crazy-impressive.) There are people like Malala, the girl who speaks for women and girls in countries that deny them education. Her parents say, 'We can't really stop her. We just let her do her thing and tag along.'

See, some people are wired to DO and to GO. It's deeply in their nature. I've spent most of my life wondering why I was so boring until I realized just a few months ago that deep down, I would NOT be happy living their lives. I do not want to DO and GO all the time. I enjoy having entire weekends to just putter around my house. I don't want to fund raise to get grants. I don't want to deliver speeches at the UN. Not really. And I've made peace with that.

So, I'm interesting in my own way, though it's not flashy. It's all on how I look at it and spin it to myself. I can say, "I had two kids," and that's boring, but when I talk about how I used a midwife for their birth..that's actually interesting since such a minority of women in America do that. And I homeschool. That's also pretty interesting really. Not many people can say they do that, compared to the majority. I learned how to do photography and I can take lovely pictures and in my little circle, people will pay me to take their pictures. That's kinda interesting!

So, I'm like you in that I often think, "My life is boring." Until I look harder. And it's not really. I do all sorts of things that are very interesting to a lot of people. I'll bet you have your own roster of foster kid stories and adopting tales. You probably have some good solid advice you could give someone about homeschooling...and so forth.

There's nothing wrong with deciding to do more things to round out your life, but don't forget to be true to yourself and consider whether you reeeeeally are the type of person to do the things your friends do. If you are that kind of person, then this could be your kick in the rump to get up and go. But it's ok if you're not.

• Like 18

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA  :lol:

No, my life could never be described as boring.

But, not-boring does not always mean good. I think your friend might have preferred to be bored instead of on that bus, for example. I sure wish my life had been boring, I envy you, truly. 

Having said that, plenty of people would not consider your life boring. You went from no kids to 3 in 15 months! You homeschooled them, which sounds crazy to most people. How on earth did you do it? I mean, we know how, but plenty of people would think your life sounds far more exciting than their two or three children, born normally, without complication, one at a time and then put into school like everyone else. 

• Like 5

Not really boring. I was single for a long time (got married @ age 34) so I taught for 2 years at a missionary school in SĂƒÂ£o Paulo, Brasil. And there is nothing even remotely boring about living in that city! Got married (finally) and adopted 5 kids. So, I guess my life hasn't been too boring. I've done a few things on my bucket list .... walked on the beach in an evening gown with a handsome man... Probably won't get to others..... riding the Orient Express.

• Like 3

My life has been too exciting, wanna trade? I'd love a simple, quiet life!

As it is we're in a constant state of stress. Moving, babies, job changes, adopting, etc. Craziness! We have friends and family all over the US and genuinely like helping people so we do crazy things like drive 9 hours to CT to help my BFF fix up her house or drive 4 hours so DD can see her birth sisters. I've done several jobs, volunteered, started a homeschool co-op, and gained lots of random skills/knowledge. But it's never planned, this stuff all just seems to happen.

• Like 2

Hmmm.  It would depend on who you ask, I guess.

There are chunks of my life that are boring IMO, some that are not.

Many of my non-boring things weren't good things.  Don't assume that boring = bad, exciting = good.  Not that you are, just more of a general comment.  I think we have to check ourselves and our self-talk - make sure we're actually being realistic.

There are many aspects to your life that I don't think sound boring - they are things I've never done so I find them interesting.

• Like 3

Funny - it is all a matter of perspective!

Lately I have been thinking my life is really boring...every day same routine.  Get kids and DH up and out of the house.  Work at the computer.  Some neighborhood volunteering.  Help with homework.  Read.  Repeat.

But from the outside it looks like this - I live in INDIA - in Bangalore!  I have to negotiate power cuts, water cuts, cows in the road!  I just finished a huge pipe replacement project for the neighborhood.  Kid's friends birthday parties at seven star hotels. Last week the Ganesh festival.  Next month another two weeks of festival...and a huge Halloween party!  Then Diwali, Thanksgiving, Christmas...

So...it depends.  Today looks boring....but you never know when a monkey might appear on my terrace!

• Like 6

So...it depends. Today looks boring....but you never know when a monkey might appear on my terrace!

Or a monkey may take off with clean laundry that was drap over a chair at your terrace :). I nearly had that happened in Malaysia at a resort.

A monkey did snatch my brother's mineral bottle from him, ran away and drank from the bottle. We were on a family vacation in Thailand decades ago.

I am looking forward to Diwali Rangoli outside my neighbor's front door.

Let me tell you what.

The most interesting Peace Corps volunteers I met were over the age of 65. ETA: One had been a housewife her whole life, four kids! And then got a divorce late in her marriage. 10 years later she decided to follow her dream. Seriously. Not advocating divorce but they do take couples. My point is: are you 60+? No problem.

Life doesn't end in middle age. I've known people to take up entirely new sports at 50. Like one man I know just started on an over-50 triathlon team! How cool is that?

Or my mom, who started up hiking at the age of 40 and who pretty much takes up a new sport every 10 years.

"I have dreams of a few things I would love to do...........travel to Ireland, possibly visit missionary friends in Italy or Uganda, go on a medical missions trip as a helper/lay medical worker alongside a friend who is a doctor, etc.  Just not sure any of those will ever happen."

I have faith in you. Make it happen. You have a child now, and that is incredible. You know a love that very few people get to experience and I think that's worth sacrificing a trip to Ireland. But maybe you won't even need to sacrifice it. Save bit by bit. Whatever you can. Who knows? It could happen. My grandmother was over 60 when she first traveled. Life does not end with kids, though I know it feels like it sometimes. :)

• Like 6

I can't imagine what is boring about fostering and adopting. Your life isn't over. Do the things you want to do now. It's never too late. Your kids would likely love travel experiences. Plan a trip and follow through. You can do it. I get antsy being in one place too long. My poor dh has to put up with my antics. We just bought a house and I'm already planning our move to Russia! It will probably never happen but you never know!

• Like 1

The thing about me is, I always feel like "wow, this happened to me" even about things others find mundane.  Actually my life is ordinary and sheltered compared to many people.  I also don't have a lot of emotional ups and downs (outside of natural hormones).

I had a working-class, free-range childhood.  Got more "higher education" than most.  Worked long hours doing many different jobs.  Co-owned a variety of businesses.  Was often a square peg in a round hole.  Dated, but never met The Real Mr. Right.  Traveled more than most.  Adopted internationally at age 40.  Currently working and raising two "busy" kids.  It feels like enough.  :)

• Like 1

My best friend is big into adventures, she recently hiked a very iconic hike, but she's never been out of the country. She's skydived, zip lined, hiked, and done all sorts of local adventures. I've traveled and done some of those things but those types of adventures don't hold tons of appeal to me. I've eaten my way through several countries, ridden an overnight train in SE Asia, wandered vineyards in Italy and seen the Sistine chapel and the statue of David. Our priorities are different, and our lives have been different. She grew up very middle class suburbia, I grew up wondering where my next meal was coming from. She's also bought several houses at this point, and I, at 35, am about to buy my first one. My life hasn't been boring, but that's not always been a good thing. I've lived so many places that I can't call any place home and I have no "roots", her home will always be in her home state. I think it's all perspective, the idea of having a true home has always appealed to me, but my nomadic nature will probably never be able to make that happen. Excitement means different things to different people.

I hope you get to experience some of the things on your "bucket" list. I believe the first time I heard of the Sistine chapel I was in 6th grade, it always held an appeal to me, with a bit of knowledge that I, as a kid who's mother could barely afford shoes, would never see it. The day I saw it was magical, not because of its beauty, but because it was the first thing I ever put on my "bucket" list, and it happened. It was one of the most incredible experiences of my life.

• Like 2

No, no definitely not. 

We got pregnant with Ana then got married - fresh out of high school for me.  I tried to balance college and an infant.  DH graduated from college and enlisted.  We moved to the West coast.  Four years.  Moved back to the Midwest, stayed eight years, took a transfer to the PNW for four years, moved back, and finally settled about 35 miles from our hometown.  

I like boring. Boring is good.  It's comfortable.  I admit I've learned a lot but boring is very much underrated.  Giving a comfortable, loving, boring home to two children is underrated.  Good for everyone who goes somewhere and does something but hooray for people who live out their lives quietly in hometowns loving and ministering to those around them too.  There are people who need loved here as much as elsewhere. ;)

• Like 4

Yes, very boring.

Sometimes I hope there is truly a greater plan at work, otherwise I have a pretty wasted life.  Every time I try to break the mold I am in, I get smacked down pretty hard and put right back in to my boring little life. 

I was taught that unless you are going to be the very best at something, you shouldn't try, because people will just make fun of you and you will bring the entire group down.  I was brought up to be very self conscious.  

I work hard to make sure my kids don't experience the same life I have had. I want them to control their life and to make their own path. My kids have been brought up always learning new things. My older kids are confident and both are comfortable in front of a crowd (ds is a pastor, dd16 is a cheerleader). I have taught them it is ok to have an opinion and to speak up. I teach them that it is ok to fail.  I teach them it is ok to not be the very best at something, as long as you are enjoying it, and making a positive difference in the group.  I teach them to live a life!

Yes and no?

Day to day, it's pretty mundane. SAHW/M mundane. Meals, laundry, educating kids and self, chauffeur kids every now and again.

But overall...

I've lived in 5 states, plus Canada (my home country), have traveled to Hawaii, Myrtle Beach, and the Mayan Riviera in Mexico (and I don't even LIKE the beach), have had my kids in public school, Catholic school, and homeschool, I've been to several amusement parks in 5 different states - not always the ones I lived in.

I'd like to travel more to non-beachy areas at some point, but looking at the big picture, I can't really complain of boredom.

My life ceased being boring in the delivery room when I was born.

Somehow I got the genetics to be willing to alter my life and tune it the way I want it to be.  That's never been a problem for me.

Granted, there are times when it takes years to craft a life (like when I was in 7th grade and had to wait until 12th to escape where I was - in the meantime working to get good grades and test scores to make that escape possible).

There are also times when crafting it has to work around things beyond our control (brain tumor anyone?).

But as with anything else we create, we look at the building blocks we have and what we need, then plot out how to get what we need in order to build our finished product.  Sometimes there are choices. (Which do we prefer?)  Sometimes there are limits. (I can't figure out how to get the funds to travel 24/7.)  It's important to have all sorts of "non-boring" things in the bucket list - many that can be obtainable at some point and some that might be dreams.  Hubby and I add to ours as we think of them.

Then I work to figure out how to make some happen.

My life is not boring.  Some of the fun is in the crafting and anticipation - not just the end result.

If my life were to get boring, I'm not sure I'd want to live it.

I've lived through one really interesting thing in my life, otherwise there is nothing of significance. These days, I'm bored every day. Honestly though? I'm quite content with my life. I don't expect any major changes as I age. DH is 11 years older than me and will retire around age 70 or at least that is his plan. Then we'll be bored together I guess because there is nothing I want to do in retirement. The most exciting thing I have planned is to be a grandmother. I have 3 kids. Surely one of them will have at least one baby! I'll be so disappointed if I'm not a grandmother.

No, I am told I have had a fascinating life.  To me, it is just my life and not so fascinating, although I wouldn't change my life at all.  I feel very fortunate to have lived the way I have lived.

I don't think anyone has told me I have a fascinating life, but many tell me they are envious of the things we do.  My response?  Figure out what you want to do and start making plans to do it!  We make financial sacrifices to put funds into other things and always have.  I can guarantee our house is not anywhere near up to House Hunter standards - except maybe some of the poor rehab versions before the rehab (not those perfectly good ones they rehab anyway).  It works for us though.  Our vehicles are old.  We rarely get new clothing.  We camped for many of our travels.  Hubby never takes a full week off from work (if some missed the other thread - he works at times when we travel).

Changes?  There are some in hindsight.  ;)  And I'd definitely have preferred some different teen years and no health issues, but OTOH, they've made me who I am, so I suppose there are pros to it all.

• Like 2

Day to day, I am NEVER bored. Just Monday I consulted with 5 different doctors and the vet. Foster care means life is never boring day to day either.

Our oldest 2 are mentally impaired and will likely live with is long term and possibly the 3rd too. Empty nest and/or grnadparenting doesn't seem to be in our future.

I do enjoys lots of local adventures...kayaking, skiing, horseback riding, walking, etc. I am very blessed.

Guess turning 45 makese want to think of what I want to do when I grow up.

• Like 1

Probably.  But I'm totally okay with boring.

We actually apologized to oldest DS when he was doing essays for college applications.  "We're sorry we worked so hard to create such a normal life for you that was pretty much free of hardships."  :lol:

And I agree with Garga -- it's often all about how you spin it.

• Like 2

Guess turning 45 makese want to think of what I want to do when I grow up.

This is not a bad thing.  This is inspiration to plan something good somewhere down the line and then take steps following that plan.   :coolgleamA:

We're always thinking of the future.  Some plans we nix.  Others we put on the back burner.  Then others we take steps to do.

Day to day?  That's normal life.  I still enjoy my normal life.  If I didn't, I'd change something about it if at all possible.  If not possible (like with health issues), then I resolve to "deal with it" and keep living making whatever I can control better,  'cause curling up in a fetal position in the corner is not my idea of "better."

If/when I get to where I can't do that even at a future time... then... well, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.  I haven't been in that situation yet.  It might have taken me an eternity years to go from 7th - 12th grade, but there was a light at the end of the tunnel and that light led to many terrific options.  I only had to wait and work to get there.

Exactly what one puts in their bucket list or how they enjoy life varies.  A mere scrolling of pretty much any thread on here gives us examples of that.  Of course, those same threads can also inspire us with possibilities too.  :laugh:

• Like 1

My life is quiet but not boring to me. I have a rich thought life. Ă°Å¸ËœÅ  I am not high energy, but I can always think of something to do. Just the sheer number of things to learn about is exciting and sometimes overwhelming.

I have a friend who has sold her house and her family lives in an RV. Every week she posts about their travels on facebook. It is awesome. Last week our family took a day off from school work to go apple picking, walk trails and visit a former president's home. It was a wonderful relaxing day. At the end of it, we went home to our very ordinary house and resumed our ordinary life, with pleasure.

• Like 2

Boring is relative.

I don't consider my life boring.  I travel a lot and I've spent 13ish years living abroad. I try new foods.  I foster cats.  I once slapped a racoon in the face with the butt of a C7 rifle, though I've tried not to make a habit of that.  I work at a library part time.  I join clubs.  I  try to say yes to opportunities that present themselves, even if I am scared to put myself out there.  On the other hand, I spend hours a day sitting around doing almost nothing, playing video games, or reading.  My life isn't the only kind of interesting.

My SIL is always up for a different kind of adventure than I am - canning, learning to sew/weave/spin wool, volunteering at her kid's school, cooking crazy amazing dishes, performing acts of gardening wizardry that defy my understanding. She's got this large-ish circle of friends with whom she plans bbqs and movie dates.  She's got a closeness and intimacy that I often find myself wishing I could have.  She never travels further than a few hours from her house, yet I believe she has a life that is far from boring.    

• Like 2

Yes, it's been mostly boring.  But boring can be good.  I prefer to think of it as 'peaceful'.  ;)   We lived in the woods for 15 years.  When any of our dc said anything about it being boring, my reply was always 'Enjoy it while it lasts.  It can all change overnight and one day you'll look back and miss all this when your life gets hectic with colleges and jobs and marriages and kids, so much so that you barely have time to catch your breath.'  And one day it DID change overnight and all 5 dc and I miss the woods and wildlife and 'boring', terribly.

Now it's just me and dh.  My life is boring/peaceful until dh gets home every day.  He's the kind of person who HAS to interact with his environment wherever he's at, moving and talking until his head hits the pillow at night.  Being quiet and peaceful is a foreign concept to him.       

I do not consider boring and peaceful/quiet to be synonyms.  Relaxation time is a necessary part of our (personal) daily lives.  I need those as much as I need stimulation from other things.  Perhaps what I really need is variety?  Too much of any particular thing (or style) is what leads to boredom to me.  I can be quite content reading a book/watching (certain shows on) TV or scuba diving/hiking somewhere new.

I think this is why part time subbing works for me (esp since I get to teach at school more than babysitting).  When I get bored at home I go to school.  When work becomes the rut, I stay home.  It's the best of both worlds for "everyday" me.  

And when we've saved enough money, we travel - the ultimate high of the junkie getting her fix.  "Usual" long waits at airports or long road trips and similar do not bother me at all when traveling for pleasure.  They're all part of the story we're creating.   :coolgleamA:

• Like 1

I happen to think that my life is boring, but I'm sure it wouldn't be to some. Living with my dad ended with him in jail and me in the hospital, three years of living in a foster home followed, then my mom got custody again just in time for something else to happen (my mother has terrible taste in men!), and then seven years spent in three different foster homes. But nothing really exciting happened: no books were written, no talk show host wanted me, it wasnt on national news, etc etc.

(I remember watching a girl talk about her abuse on Oprah once and thinking, "Man I was so lucky to not get as hurt as her.")

I love my life though. Such a life to learn about forgiveness and redemption and love.

Edit: I'm thinking I may have gotten too personal, but I don't mind. It's my childhood that I was really writing about, it's in the past and I moved on from it a long time ago. My adulthood has been pleasantly boring: nothing out of the ordinary, no world travels, no great discoveries. I'm friends with a family who has traveled the world, and honestly, they just seem so tired all the time.

• Like 1

From ages 9-18 my life resembled a depressing after school special; boring, normal life was my goal, my deepest desire.

Some days the complications of having three people in the house with ongoing medical needs makes life waaaaay more interesting than I like.

For me, joy is found in the quiet, normal, boring moments. I wish people well as they live thier fascinating lives of adventure. I will enjoy reading books about them while curled up on my couch between my best friend, who I married, and my dog.

I happen to think that my life is boring, but I'm sure it wouldn't be to some. Living with my dad ended with him in jail and me in the hospital, three years of living in a foster home followed, then my mom got custody again just in time for something else to happen (my mother has terrible taste in men!), and then seven years spent in three different foster homes. But nothing really exciting happened: no books were written, no talk show host wanted me, it wasnt on national news, etc etc.

This is off topic, but I would love to chat with you sometime about your experiences in foster care......as in what made for a good foster home and what made for a terrible one, best memories, etc.  As a foster parent I often wonder how we are doing in the eyes of the kids we have stay with us.

• Like 1

"Two things prevent us from happiness; living in the past and observing others." - Two reasons why I think FB can be unhealthy for some. 

I can see that.  I honestly have no bad feelings towards my friends.  I have different experiences and while some of what they have encountered sounds exciting and something I wish I could have done, they also have different struggles today that I am glad I am not facing.

I do agree that FB can present a very skewed view of life.  I know that I often post pictures of my girls and I horseback riding (esp. since a few older family friends say they love seeing these) but I never mention that I am managing 5 different doctors for one dd trying to get her back on the road to good health, or that I am dealing with foster ds fighting at school or threatening to run away, etc.  We tend to put only the best and brightest on FB.

• Like 1

No, I don't believe my life has been boring.  We have had a variety of interesting experiences and have been to a lot of different places.  Those experiences have ranged from thrilling to painful;  mostly they have been good, and all of them have helped mold who we are today -- that's for sure.  Although I'm happy my kids have grown up with a range of experiences, a part of me sometimes wonders if those experiences have made it harder for them to live a more traditional lifestyle as they get to be adults. 

For the record, I don't believe anyone's life looks boring.  I love hearing people's stories;  everyone has them.  The fact that you have spent your adult life so far raising adopted and foster children is quite amazing.  I don't think that sounds boring at all!

• Like 3

It depends what you mean by boring.  It feels like my life is a constant stream of bad luck and ridiculousness.  Like my childhood was nonstop of the weirdest medical things.  But day to day? Pretty boring.  I'll have kid-free family or friends ask me what I'm up to and I'm like "Math?  We do spelling, too.  And violin.  But that's most of what I do."  :lol:  I think compared with a lot of people I know in my social circles, my life is fairly boring.  No European vacations, no world changing research, no new businesses, no inventions, etc.  So unless they want to talk kids, I sound boring.

• Like 1