Menu

Strange paperwork at dentist office

Cottonwood

This has been bothering me for a few days...

We just moved to this area 6wks ago so we don't have an established orthodontist.  DD is newly out of braces and her bottom retainer had an issue that needed to be checked.  So I googled and found an ortho that could get me in quickly.  He's also a dentist (oddly?).  

The visit went well, and our issue is being corrected.  BUT in the waiting room as I was filling out new patient forms, I was disturbed by one of the forms.  There were several bullet points that you had to initial like, acknowledging the use of laughing gas and acknowledging that...in a long explanation..   that the staff is interested in developing a one-on-one relationship with all patients and for that reason 'guests' or parents are not allowed in the other rooms with the staff.  Blah blah blah for...  parents not allowed to go back with kids.  I've seen that in other dentists offices and it doesn't sit well with me, particularly, but I shrugged that off.  My kids are older so I don't feel it applies right now.

There were two bullet points that disturbed me.  The first one was under a heading entitled Voice Control.  It explained that unruly, disrespectful or otherwise hard to deal with children (they said it more gently than this ..forgetting their exact words at the moment) would experience their Voice Control.  It said this was a technique the staff was specially trained in then it explained the levels of voice control to bring the child into compliance to finish the procedure.  Anything to a few normal repeated requests to firmer voice to ...I forget what else.  It ended that bullet point by saying if it didn't work at it's firmest point, the patient would be removed from the office but regular billing would apply.

The last bullet point gently tried to explain that some children become alarmed or frightened with dental procedures and the staff has been to trained in how to physically "help" these children (quotations are mine).  It explained that this means anything from holding their hand during procedures, all the way to holding down legs, arms, heads and bodies.   :huh:  It never used the word restrain and it, too, was wordy.  It kept using fluff words to mean, to me, that the staff could hold my child down in the event that they became frightened and that by signing this, I would not need to be notified first, and that by signing it, I was ok with my child being held down in the chair if they felt it was necessary.  :huh:  :huh:  :huh:

I have NEVER heard of such!  I just can't imagine...  I do understand that pediatric dentistry can be tough on kids and staff, and that there are a myriad of issues that kids can create for the staff and that frightened children still need dental care and..i see the original issues surrounding why it would necessary for an office to have ot figure out how to treat those children and fears.  I don't have an alternative solution or thought as to how ELSE to go about it.  But THIS just BOTHERS me so much!  I also saw a news story on TV a few years back about hidden cameras in dentists offices that must? practice this way and there were children who were scared outta their minds being held down and being yelled out ("voice control"?  I dunno) and it made my cry just watching it.  I couldn't finish the show and was so angry!  This whole thing ...has anyone heard of such a thing?  

I didn't sign the form and told the receptionist that we just needed a retainer wire bent back so it didn't apply to us and she said parents can absolutely opt out of the form but the dentist would alerted and may refrain from taking the patient/child/family as a result so it was ultimately up to him.  She also said something about normal fees applying despite being denied care in the office.  I said I was ok with that.  So...I guess you can MAYBE still get the care you need while opting out of physical restraint and voice control..so there's that?  

I don't know.  Our issue was sort of an emergency issue since DD's teeth were already starting to shift, and we just needed the one-time retainer check so we will (gladly) not being using this office again.  But has anyone else had experience with an office who uses these techniques?  Am I over reacting?  i'm not PMSing or anything   :laugh:

• Like 1

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

adding, I was allowed to go in w/ DD because the hygienists were setting her up for a teeth cleaning, which we JUST had, so I had to let them know this was a unique issue, just a retainer check.  While in there speaking w/ the ortho, I noticed ALL the chairs had big stickers on them that said in huge writing, "CHAIRS ARE FOR STAFF ONLY.  NON STAFF, PLEASE RETURN TO WAITING ROOM".  I was like...GEEZ, they almost sound like they are hiding something in here with all this behind the scenes stuff no one else is allowed to view.  :/ 

• Like 3

That sounds disturbing to me.  I don't like it either.  We use a pediatric dentist and ortho, and they always allow one parent back there, and there's no yelling.  I'm pretty sure there's no restraining either.  They may sedate them (with permission and at a later date) but I believe that's it.

Your dentist sounds positively medieval.

• Like 13

I do not think you are overreacting at all. I would also do what you are doing--- treat this as an emergency visit and not go back.

Do you have any friends in your new town who you could ask for ortho references? If not, or heck, even if you do, I would ask strangers (in stores, at the park, whatever) whose kids have braces who they see and if they are happy. If they are receptive to being asked, then ask about some of the issues you mentioned and if that ortho does similar things and find a new ortho that way. 

• Like 3

This has been bothering me for a few days...

We just moved to this area 6wks ago so we don't have an established orthodontist. DD is newly out of braces and her bottom retainer had an issue that needed to be checked. So I googled and found an ortho that could get me in quickly. He's also a dentist (oddly?).

The visit went well, and our issue is being corrected. BUT in the waiting room as I was filling out new patient forms, I was disturbed by one of the forms. There were several bullet points that you had to initial like, acknowledging the use of laughing gas and acknowledging that...in a long explanation.. that the staff is interested in developing a one-on-one relationship with all patients and for that reason 'guests' or parents are not allowed in the other rooms with the staff. Blah blah blah for... parents not allowed to go back with kids. I've seen that in other dentists offices and it doesn't sit well with me, particularly, but I shrugged that off. My kids are older so I don't feel it applies right now.

There were two bullet points that disturbed me. The first one was under a heading entitled Voice Control. It explained that unruly, disrespectful or otherwise hard to deal with children (they said it more gently than this ..forgetting their exact words at the moment) would experience their Voice Control. It said this was a technique the staff was specially trained in then it explained the levels of voice control to bring the child into compliance to finish the procedure. Anything to a few normal repeated requests to firmer voice to ...I forget what else. It ended that bullet point by saying if it didn't work at it's firmest point, the patient would be removed from the office but regular billing would apply.

The last bullet point gently tried to explain that some children become alarmed or frightened with dental procedures and the staff has been to trained in how to physically "help" these children (quotations are mine). It explained that this means anything from holding their hand during procedures, all the way to holding down legs, arms, heads and bodies. :huh: It never used the word restrain and it, too, was wordy. It kept using fluff words to mean, to me, that the staff could hold my child down in the event that they became frightened and that by signing this, I would not need to be notified first, and that by signing it, I was ok with my child being held down in the chair if they felt it was necessary. :huh: :huh: :huh:

I have NEVER heard of such! I just can't imagine... I do understand that pediatric dentistry can be tough on kids and staff, and that there are a myriad of issues that kids can create for the staff and that frightened children still need dental care and..i see the original issues surrounding why it would necessary for an office to have ot figure out how to treat those children and fears. I don't have an alternative solution or thought as to how ELSE to go about it. But THIS just BOTHERS me so much! I also saw a news story on TV a few years back about hidden cameras in dentists offices that must? practice this way and there were children who were scared outta their minds being held down and being yelled out ("voice control"? I dunno) and it made my cry just watching it. I couldn't finish the show and was so angry! This whole thing ...has anyone heard of such a thing?

I didn't sign the form and told the receptionist that we just needed a retainer wire bent back so it didn't apply to us and she said parents can absolutely opt out of the form but the dentist would alerted and may refrain from taking the patient/child/family as a result so it was ultimately up to him. She also said something about normal fees applying despite being denied care in the office. I said I was ok with that. So...I guess you can MAYBE still get the care you need while opting out of physical restraint and voice control..so there's that?

I don't know. Our issue was sort of an emergency issue since DD's teeth were already starting to shift, and we just needed the one-time retainer check so we will (gladly) not being using this office again. But has anyone else had experience with an office who uses these techniques? Am I over reacting? i'm not PMSing or anything :laugh:

It's just their way of saying "find a new dentist immediately."

I would be furious. :mad:

• Like 17

My son's pediatric dentist wants parents to go back with the kids.  My son is not exactly compliant.  The dentist has had to speak to him in various ways that I suppose could be what this dentist is referring to as voice control.  The hygienist has had to hold his hands to keep him from grabbing stuff during procedures (when it would be dangerous if he grabbed something).  I've had to pitch in and hold his legs to stop him from kicking.  Sometimes, with a non-compliant kid, you've got to do what you've got to do.  What would bother me about this particular dentist is they seem so anti-parent being with the child.  I'm always right there and they ask me before they do anything to Adrian.

• Like 3

Uh, no. No way.

Our pediatric dentist allows parents to be with the child during procedures. How frightened of the dentist would an upset or terrified child be in the future after being forcibly held down or otherwise restrained? If this is their normal policy (rather than calling the parent in for an exceptionally difficult situation when it arises), then my guess is they're doing this type of thing as a matter of course. I'm not a dentist, but I have to think there are better ways of doing things.

• Like 2

Good for you on not agreeing to those terms.  I would find another dentist as well.  Our pediatric dentist does not encourage parents to be back with them and instead tends to discourage it during the procedures but when I insisted (I had a very anxious child who needed me there), they allowed it.  I was nice but firm.  I also made sure they understood that I was not there to interfere with the actual dental procedures in any way.  

• Like 2

My son's pediatric dentist wants parents to go back with the kids.  My son is not exactly compliant.  The dentist has had to speak to him in various ways that I suppose could be what this dentist is referring to as voice control.  The hygienist has had to hold his hands to keep him from grabbing stuff during procedures (when it would be dangerous if he grabbed something).  I've had to pitch in and hold his legs to stop him from kicking.  Sometimes, with a non-compliant kid, you've got to do what you've got to do.  What would bother me about this particular dentist is they seem so anti-parent being with the child.  I'm always right there and they ask me before they do anything to Adrian.

That's the way it should be. You can't always stop and call it a day in the middle of a procedure if the kid is fighting it. But the parent should be there.

I don't like the way that all sounds either, and I would not go back.

I'm okay with them preferring not to have parents in the room, if the child is okay with that, but one, the walls are glass, so I can see, two, I go with my little ones no matter what, three, there are none of those red flags, and four, I always ask to speak with the dentist once the dentist comes in, and they're cool with that. We use a practice that has peds upstairs and adults downstairs. My older children, ten and thirteen, asked to see the adult dentist (they're good patients, and ped people tend talk down to them a bit, which I understand), so I checked them in and took the small ones upstairs to the play area. The receptionists were very happy to call me in once the dentist came in to do his thing, and he himself was very friendly and welcoming toward me and any questions I have. Nothing in this practice or the other ped only practice we have used ever made me think they were hiding something. That practice you mentioned definitely sounds scary.

• Like 1

No way.

Our dentist and orthodontist welcome having parents sit with children. In fact they strongly encourage it.

When I recently made an appointment for one of my teens to get a  filling, and they confirmed that I would be chairside for at least the beginning of the procedure and that I would remain either with my teen or in the waiting area the entire time. I always stay the entire time because my teens like having me there, and our dentist is always very welcoming.

The orthodontist required it for the first few appointments and then said that it was up to me after that. My kids both said that they didn't need me after that, so I've never done it since. Every station has a parent chair though, and I'm always free to walk back at any time.

For wisdom teeth I left only when the oral surgeon was getting ready to put them "under." He confirmed that I would remain in the waiting room the entire time and said to tell the receptionist at any time if I had any concerns. He said that he would send the nurse out to tell me when the procedure was over, and then to get me when they were awake in recovery. Then he came to recovery to tell me how it went and so on.

IMHO that's how things should be done.

• Like 2

That is some scary paperwork!

I don't have an orthodontist comparison, but with my kids regular dentist --

I expect to go back with my kids. The dental rooms are small, so I am usually out in the hall, but the dentist talks to me. We have a pediatric dentist (not orthodontist) who has a lot of special needs children in her practice. She 'controls' children by taking things slowly, having parents present, smiling, talking to kids for as long as it takes before procedures, having fun toys in the rooms. Kids get to choose a what color scheme they want (bright dentists chairs). And several small toys to take home (pencils, sticky hands, etc).

I am sure I filled out paperwork, but it was name, address, billing, allergies, etc.

I understand having to leave my kids in a sterile operating room, but otherwise I would be suspicious of being excluded. At worst, abuse. At best, someone who simply has no childcare skills.

I did not read all of this, but pertinent:

http://www.aapd.org/media/policies_guidelines/g_behavguide.pdf

• Like 1

Trust your gut, Mom.  These are major red flags.  This guy considers patients and their parents to be enemy combatants and treats them accordingly.

Walk out.  Don't do it.

I had a ped dentist change policy over a decade ago, and the assistant tried to rip my terrified 2 year old from my arms.  I stood my ground.  The lady at the desk mockingly reminded me that I sent them all kinds of places without me, including preschool.  Um, no, I did not.  And this policy was completely inappropriate.  We found another dentist and ortho (later) with open door policies and clear visual sight to the kids. 

That is very concerning, especially the CYA documentation he is trying to get you to sign.  I have never seen anything like that and I would call them on it right there in the waiting room (but that's me).

Run!

• Like 3

Nope, nope, nope.

FWIW, I had a family dentist who also happens to specialize in helping people with dental anxiety.  The idea of him holding someone down, etc... he would NEVER do that.  Just never. He will use sedation if the patient agrees but never physical restraint.

There are so many better ways for this dentist to be doing his job.

• Like 2

Wow, I'm shocked that was a pediatric practice.  I've been encouraged to sit in with mine during extractions.  We did have one very large office here that never invited me back, (they din't prohibit it).  We now use another smaller practice.   I'm happy you followed your instinct and didn't sign/agree to their conditions.

I switched dental offices years ago because the office I was at didn't want parents to go back with their children.  It just wasn't something I was comfortable with.  It wasn't even that I cared about going back, but being forbidden bothered me.  We found a wonderful dental office that was great working with the kids even my middle child with sensory issues that would try to hide under chairs.  Sadly when our insurance changed we now have to go out of town to see a dentist.  The new office is not big on parents going back and for my older two it isn't such a big deal, but my youngest really needs me to go back with him.  He has anxiety issues and also medically issues that I am just much more comfortable being with him.  The office will allow me to go back with him, but I can tell that it is not their preference.

I would never sign papers allowing things like what you are describing.

Nope.   We have seen a variety of dentists over the years and all have welcomed parents in the room during the exam.  Gosh - I think the current group even asked DD14 if she wanted me to come back with her.

When my kids were going thru ortho work (DS19 and DD14), there was a place for parents to sit next to the patient and watch while the tech adjusted the braces each time.   Questions were encouraged.   Now, the ortho did ask that younger siblings not come back into the working area if they were not the patient - but that was understandable due to space and equipment.

Find someone else - there are plenty out there who aren't quite so "draconian".

My family dentist let me go back with DD until she was comfortable not having me there-and then I scheduled my appointments at the same time-which usually meant I was in the next cubicle over and could hear exactly what was happening. Which has never been anything beyond "DD, I can't clean your teeth with you talking. Let me finish and then you can tell me more while I'm setting up for the sealants, OK?"

Maybe because it's not just a pediatric practice?

It sounds like they had some problems in the past and are trying to find ways to legally deal with it from now on.  That's too bad.  I don't think I'd be comfortable in signing it, even though it most likely would not really apply to 99% of their patients.  I just wouldn't sign it and that's that.

I've been told stories about how I had stitches on my head as a child and had to be put in a straight jacket to keep from flailing, so I imagine it would be in emergency cases like that.  BUT, my mother was allowed to be with me.

• Like 2

I hope you got the support you needed to keep looking for a dentist and to warn others about this practice, OP.

I am noticing disturbing trends in dentistry lately. We had to walk away from the practice we have been using for about 15 years. My first thought was that I just needed to report a newly hired hygeinist who was incompetent and insulting to me, but upon further investigation I was shocked and grateful for the wake-up call before something much, much worse happened to ds.

You are absolutely not overreacting and will never know how many lurkers might have been helped by this thread. Thank you.

Both our pediatric dentist and orthodontist welcome parents to accompany their kids; they have 2 extra chairs in each treatment area  specifically for parents (and/or siblings). When DD was 3, she had major dental work done under general anesthesia at a local hospital; the dentist let me go into the operating room with her and stay until she was under, then I was with her when she came out of it.

There is no way I would go to a dentist that didn't allow parents to be with their kids, let alone one with a policy like the OP mentioned. Yikes!

I would not accept that, and I'd not let them work on my child (beyond what you did, which seems perfectly reasonable in your urgent need). 

It seems bizarre and horrifying. No way, no how.

My only supposition is that the office handles a lot of "free" gov't insured patients and, so, is used to being able to dictate to clients who have little choice in the matter. 

In any event, I'd never set foot there again, and I'd let them know exactly why, just in case any person in charge has a bout of sanity and might reconsider their bizarre business practices. 

FWIW, my kids and I have all had plenty of dental work, including a significant dental injury in one kid when she was under 8, requiring repeat visits for extraction, etc. Never, ever, has anyone had any difficulty getting my kid to cooperate, and I've always been able to be present with a SEAT, lol.

• Like 1

That is a whole lot of weird.

I have two sons with ASD, so not always the most compliant, and their dentist has never so much as held a hand without my consent. They encourage parents to come back for all procedures until the child is comfortable. And when they do procedures requiring laughing gas or other sedation the parent is sitting next to their child the entire time.

I would find a new ortho ASAP and plan to never darken the door of that place again.

• Like 1

I would not sign or continue there at all. Our orthodontist has you stay in the waiting room because the patient area is not very large. BUT the patient area is one room with rows of chairs and has 2 view points that you can watch from. They also allowed me to stand with my son when he was having work done that was causing him pain. I was happily invited to stand by him, I just made sure to tuck myself away. I've been very happy with them. I am a helicopter mom when it comes to medical/dental stuff.

I work in an office that will not restrain kids nor allow parents to do it.  If a child becomes upset or moves his hands toward his mouth, the appointment is over.  No exceptions.  Parents will often try to coerce the child into compliance, but this does not convince us to continue the appointment.  Several parents have tried to get us to move ahead with the appointment.  We refer these patients to the ped dentist.  We also do not charge for the appointment time. So happy I don't work in a ped office!  They get all the kids with compliance issues. And, yes they do restrain in those offices.  What is the other option?  Surgery with general anesthesia.

My dentist discourages parents to come back, but will not refuse. We absolutely refuse to allow non parents or siblings in unless they are "training" for their own first appointments.  There are chemicals and general grossness on the floors and seeing babies touch the floors...Yucky!!  I have seen children turning on and off the machines, messing with our computers(our xray sensors are $10, 000!)The majority of parents(me included at times-I have to restrain myself lol) answer for their kids and take over their appointments.  It's just what happens.  I live this. lol  The earlier kids own their appointments, the quicker they become great patients and great brushers!  And boy, do they feel brave having accomplished something big all on their own.  I'm proud for them. :)

Back to the original post...No way would I sign that paper.

I just have to say that I do NOT get what is up with dentists who don't want parents in the room. Do pediatricians do this, examine small children without their parents in the room?  I've never seen it.  Now that my son is 15, our family doctor asks me to come in at the very beginning to help provide any information needed. Then I wait in the waiting room for my son. Every now and then I get called back because something needs follow up, but usually they send him out and the doctor sort of waves at me from the hall and says "He's great". But until recently, I was in the room for the entire check up etc.  With my 10 year old I am still in the room when he is seen by a doctor. 

Why is it different for a dentist? Why do they feel like they can keep parents out of the room?  I am often asked questions by the hygienist about brushing habits or other related things...when did a particular tooth fall out, etc. The dentist is always happy to see me and tells me exactly what he is doing and why he is doing it and what he sees.  What is the issue with parents being in the room, exactly? What makes a dentist different from any other medical situation?

• Like 6

I remember a similar thread from a year or two ago about restraint of some kind being used in a dental office, so perhaps this practice is becoming more common. 

Restraint in dental offices has been present since the beginning  of dentistry.  Can't work on a flailing child.  It's dangerous.  I only know of pedodonists that use it now.

And now you know why they are the practice that was able to get you in quickly. Everyone else around knows to go elsewhere. I would tell them why you aren't returning and write a Google or yelp review about your observations to save other people new to town from trying it out. Make sure your insurance and final payment part goes through before giving negative feedback so they don't find anything in their fine print to try to overcharge you.

• Like 1

Why is it different for a dentist? Why do they feel like they can keep parents out of the room?  I am often asked questions by the hygienist about brushing habits or other related things...when did a particular tooth fall out, etc. The dentist is always happy to see me and tells me exactly what he is doing and why he is doing it and what he sees.  What is the issue with parents being in the room, exactly? What makes a dentist different from any other medical situation?

These are questions even a small child has the ability to answer.  Really, they are small talk questions anyway, not really necessary to the appointment.  I can see the tooth is gone..if you are a regular patient, I will know about how long it's been gone.  I can tell if the brushing habits are good or need improvement just by the gums and teeth.  If your child was my patient, I would talk to him/her and not you.  I would speak to the child like you were not even there.  I would not be disrespectful to you at all, though.  I would also answer any questions you have.  If there was a brushing problem, I would first give instructions to your child.  If there is a major situation, a parent is brought back and Dr discusses with mom or dad.

In our office, there is nothing to hide.  We have open cubicles.  I've been working in dentistry for 20 years.  This practice is not new.

These are questions even a small child has the ability to answer.  Really, they are small talk questions anyway, not really necessary to the appointment.  I can see the tooth is gone..if you are a regular patient, I will know about how long it's been gone.  I can tell if the brushing habits are good or need improvement just by the gums and teeth.  If your child was my patient, I would talk to him/her and not you.  I would speak to the child like you were not even there.  I would not be disrespectful to you at all, though.  I would also answer any questions you have.  If there was a brushing problem, I would first give instructions to your child.  If there is a major situation, a parent is brought back and Dr discusses with mom or dad.

In our office, there is nothing to hide.  We have open cubicles.  I've been working in dentistry for 20 years.  This practice is not new.

I know it's not new and I know a small child can answer the questions etc.  But why do dentists do it when other medical professions do not?  Our family physician always addresses questions to the kids if they can talk. I only pipe up if they can't answer it. I often feel like I don't need to be there.  But I know that many doctors feel like it is part of working with the family. You see the kids and parents together because it is a family practice. 

If it is a family practice, why do dentists want to treat kids in isolation? What is the point of excluding parents? I understand the room might be small etc. But it must be of some value to the dentists because they are willing to make it policy in the face of losing patients. Why cling to it? Why not do what the patient wants?

Honestly, I can't think of any other profession that routinely excludes parents from their child's care, even when it is against the wishes of the child.  My kid had surgery and I was invited into the room...not that I wanted to be there, lol. But if they get their teeth cleaned I can't be in the room when they want me to be? 

It's just odd to me that many dentists feel so comfortable making this demand on their patients.

• Like 1

Wow. Reading that makes me feel so grateful for my dentist and his practice. The new office has a little bench in the window of each room for parents. When I very first stopped going back with my boys, the dentist came out to say hello, and checked in to make sure that I knew that I was always welcome to come back with them for any or all of their cleanings. He feels very strongly about being family-friendly. My dental hygienist has been cleaning my teeth since I was 13. I sometimes go back with the boys so I can chat with her. :) Heck, my young adult daughter and I schedule back-to-back appointments, then she rides with me and we go back together and chat while we're getting out teeth cleaned.

I agree with the rest of the Hive, run far far away. Yikes. Unacceptable.

• Like 1

whoa, that is crazy.  We had a pediatric dentist that had signs saying no parents allowed back.  I ignored them and walked in with my child when called.  No one told me to leave.  I stood by while they did the work every time.  My son had a cavity and had to have the gas.  Had I not been in there, it would have been BAD.  He needed double the amount of gas and I don't think they could have understood him in his panicked state.  She was verbally mean about it and said if he can't calm down they would cancel the procedure.  It took me a minute but he did great.  I go back every office we are ever in.  Only once was I told I couldn't.  It was a tiny room and dd was having teeth taken out.  I understood.  I watched her get the gas to go to sleep, then stepped out.  I noticed yesterday at the orthodontist I was the only parent going back with kids.  They have tiny benches to sit on.  But I go and watch.  It helps me know what he needs to know for the next 8 weeks.  Never been told I can't be there.  

So i would consider the form verbiage over the top.  Consider going elsewhere.