Menu

I am going to be a grandma. February 1st or thereabout.

FaithManor

Congratulations!!!! I wish your daughter a happy healthy pregnancy and healthy baby.

:party:

Do you know what you want to be called???

I picked Marmee. She and her hubby love it. Dh tried to sell them on farmor which is Danish for maternal grandfather. They did not go for it so I think he will be papa.

• Like 3

I began with toddler bed crib conversions and found that just using a pack n play and then switching to a full size twin was so much more practical. They're easier to move around, too! I have two cribs and the pack n play and only the lattermost bed is what I'd recommend to someone. We previously used an Arms Reach co sleeper but the pack n play is less expensive for a very similar design :)

I always loved the Marmee character in Little Women, and I am fairly young yet, 47. The other grandma is 10 years older and really wants to be grandma. Additionally there are four great grandmas all of whom are in physically good enough shep to spent time with little bug so we need a lot of names! Only two grandpa and one great gramps. My MIL is granny to her grands so will stick with granny for the greats.

• Like 1

So excited for you!

I haven't picked my name yet. I'm thinking of going with the classic Grandma.

And shopping is SO fun.

I'm researching diapers for my ddil now. :laugh:

My mom announced she wanted to be Grandma when my oldest was born. She changed her tune when he had enough of a speech delay that he didn't call her anything until he was almost 3. At that point he started calling her Nana out of the blue and she was just so thrilled to be called something that she latched onto it. Elliot, at 4, still can't say Grandma in any recognizable way and calls MIL G-ma.

Wendy

• Like 1

I picked Marmee. She and her hubby love it. Dh tried to sell them on farmor which is Danish for maternal grandfather. They did not go for it so I think he will be papa.

It's actually morfar (mother's father) he'd be. Is there a Danish equivalent to the Norwegian 'bestefar' perhaps, which is a lot easier for English speakers? 

Congratulations!!

• Like 1

I began with toddler bed crib conversions and found that just using a pack n play and then switching to a full size twin was so much more practical. They're easier to move around, too! I have two cribs and the pack n play and only the lattermost bed is what I'd recommend to someone. We previously used an Arms Reach co sleeper but the pack n play is less expensive for a very similar design :)

Did you like your co-sleeper? Dd wants one to start out because she is going to nurse just as much as she can before she has to return to work. I would like to get one for her as well.

Congratulations!!!!

FarMOR would be paternal grand mother. Your Dh would be Morfar (mothers father) ;)

Congratulations to all of you!

We used the pack and play at the foot of our bed when kids were infants, had a regular crib in the nursery for naps, then transitioned to naps and overnight in nursery, then at around 3 y/o both kids went straight to a twin mattress and box springs on the floor with a guard. We still have those twin beds!!

So excited for you!

I haven't picked my name yet. I'm thinking of going with the classic Grandma.

And shopping is SO fun.

I'm researching diapers for my ddil now. :laugh:

That's what I ended up going with.   I had a Nana and I just felt there was no replacing her (even though she's been gone for 10yrs).   Other grandma took it anyway, which was fine with me.   I thought of Oma, but it just did't fit.  Nothing really fit so we fell into Grandma.   Oldest Grandchild is 2 and talking, so I guess there's no going back now. 

Congratulations Faith!!  What happy news. 

• Like 1

Congrats! I had an Arm's Reach and I LOVED it. I was sad when they got big enough to climb out and I had to move them. I found it much easier than when they were actually in my bed, I felt like I could move around more easily without worrying about waking them up. But I never had to get out of bed- I could nurse and change diapers right there!

You know...I have no ability to read an ultrasound, LOL! She brought pics since she recently had one done - that along with some other factors got her off the high risk list so she can have a midwife at a birthing center - and well, it looks just barely like tweety bird from Looney Tunes to me. Meanwhile Mrs. Medical and geeky DH look at it and see all kinds of detail. I just don't have the ability I guess.

She was at very, very high risk for infertility and ectopic pregnancy as well as some other complications from possible scar tissue. But, everything looks nice and normal and apparently the last surgery - done with the Da Vinci robot - must have got all of that scar tissue as well as endometriosis out of there. We had also suspected appendix problems for years and no doctor listened, but this surgeon opened her up, took one look at her appendix, and yanked it. It was very swollen and had lesions from her uterus attached to it. I am so glad he was thorough. I am not certain she would be having a child if he had not. The OB and midwife both believe she has at least a 50% chance that the interruption of her hormone cycle for a pregnancy will greatly reduce her endometriosis. I really, really hope so!

The great grands found out last night and are bouncy today.

• Like 2

Sending congrats to the parents-to-be and the grands and great-grands!  May all proceed normally. 

Are the parents-to-be still in New Jersey?  If you don't have a credit card that earns miles, you should probably acquire one ASAP. 

Hi Jane,

They are near Albany, NY now. Just moved. He got a better position within the company there than he had in New Jersey.

We have our Cap 1 Venture and earn a lot of rewards and miles with it. She flew home yesterday and will be here until the 21st. I am likely flying out in September. In November, she is flying one way here, we are having a family party/shower, and then I am driving her back with the gifts and supplies. BUT, she needs to get her passport. It cuts off more than three hours of drive time going through Canada than around Lake Erie through Ohio plus tolls on I-80.

He will only get a week off when the baby is born, so I'll go out for a week or two in February after he's back at his desk.

Next summer we are taking our family vacation that direction. We are going to pull our pop up camper, stay at the state park nearby, day trip into Vermont and Massachusetts, spend time loving on the dear little one, and show the boys a bit of the area.

Somewhere in the next 7 months, I need to find time to get to Oklahoma for a week. I promised my niece in law that I'd visit somewhere close to the halfway mark of my nephew's deployment in order to help break that up. Her mom is going out here in a couple of months, and my mom is going to go a couple months after me in the hopes that we can kind of help make it seem like time is moving faster.

With a high school senior and college apps and visits ahead again, this is shaping up to be a very busy year. A good year, but quite busy, busy.

• Like 2