Menu

How are you preparing yourself for next school year?

I recently listened to The Liturgical Classroom and Virtue Formation and loved it. :001_wub: 

Andrew Kern's How to Read a Great Book was fun too.

I'm currently reading How To Teach Your Children Shakespeare (along with Midsummer Night's Dream) and/or Beauty in the Word: Rethinking the Foundations of Education during swim practice. I'd like to read Liberal Arts Tradition, Teaching From Rest, and Abolition of Man (reread) this summer too. We'll see how far I get.

To prepare for specific courses next year I'm reading Joy of Chemistry (FOUR kids doing chem next year. Help.), and plenty about Harry Potter before writing the actual lesson plans for the inspiration of Rowling course. I've made it through Harry Potter's Bookshelf, and am working through Unlocking Harry Potter. I have HP and Philosophy: If Aristotle Ran Hogwarts and Finding God in HP on my shelf just for fun. There are plenty Brit lit books for this that I'll need to whip through this summer too, if I hope to keep up with this course during the year. Some I haven't read, or it's been way too long to remember much.

• Like 5

Subbing for ideas. . .

My over planning and over preparing is always useful. I feel calmest when I have a good plan in front of me.

My ongoing personal education for this calendar year involves DuoLingo Spanish and Khan Academy's 8th grade math, so those are preparing for keeping up with my oldest next year.

I'm also signed up for a Coursera class on Shakespeare, so I'd really like to do that and read the recommended plays along with it.

I'm looking forward to reading other answers for inspiration.

New Books- Norms and Nobilty one section a day. I'd also like to find a good audio book biography on Abraham Lincoln (any recs?). I did this with George Washington and Abigail Adams last year and I was able to teach American History instead of just facilitate it.

Lectures/Talks: I'm listening/relistening to Andrew Kern and Cindy Rollins talks on Circe. Last Nov. I purchased a bunch of SWB lectures on sale- Writing, independent student, If I could do it all over again, and Homeschooling the Real Child. Wow those are great. I've signed up for the free summer lectures on WTM and plan on purchasing a few instead of going to a convention this year.

Favorite Threads- Lori D's lists for whatever topic we're covering. Planning threads are great too. I love reading about what others are using. However, I really enjoy it when they step away from curriculum listing and discuss how they intend to tackle a subject or learning hurdle. The high school board's acceptance thread is wonderful encouragement. So are the homeschooling outside the box style threads. More than almost anything I would love for my children to find their passion and then tailor education to help them soar.

Blogs- I'm kind of blog weary right now. They all seem to be the same or at least using the same marketing system. Homeschool/Parenting blogs seem to be more a combination big PR machine, e-booklet store and affiliate link party than a source good information and inspiration lately. That said Angelina Stanford's articles on Circe are just amazing.

Planning ideas- Next year we're going 8 weeks on 1-2 weeks off (and Christmas, etc.). I'm trying to plan by day and not date. So day 3 term 4 instead of March 3rd or Week 1 Monday. I'm also only detail planning 8 weeks at a time. I'm still using the planning format and teacher's notebook from MerryAtHope's site though.

Adding a What I Should Be Doing category- Latin. I need to start learning Latin. Writing- I need to do something to improve my writing skills. 8's program opened my eyes to how little I knew about good writing. I need to find something to walk me through the next step (so I won't be embarrassed every time I post here about poor sentence structure, grammar, etc). :)

German self-study using a number of things... I need to start teaching it this fall, so...

Thinking about doing Latin 101 from TGC to start preparing myself for the future...

Just read The Most Wonderful Writing Lessons Ever, and was so inspired that I ordered the Empowering Writers comprehensive guide, so I'll be attacking that...

I would like to get through at least one TGC history course, any one at all. :-).

And I continue with "learning about learning" and summarizing what I come up with on my blog.

• Like 2

In June, I'm going to borrow some library books about teaching Shakespeare to children.

I've signed up for two WTM conference sessions.

I need to take notes on the Spanish for Children DVDs.

Lots of time just relaxing by the pool recovering from a stressful and busy school year.

Getting better cooking, cleaning, and exercise routines in place.

Decluttering the house.

Pre-reading SL Core F and Core G readers

Deciding what hands-on history projects we are going to do and gathering the supplies ahead of time.

Get notebooking pages ready for my girls.

Plan some field trips

Listen to SWB's audio downloads...I have them all!

• Like 2

Well, crap. I thought I was doing awesome by having DD's year planned. I'm supposed to prepare myself, too?

DD is still young, though, so there's not a lot to prep for. I do have a couple of threads I return to periodically to "check in", remind myself of long-term goals, and see what ideas we weren't ready for on a previous reading that I want to try out now. We'll be moving this summer, so that will give me ample opportunity to find "lost" resources on my shelves to revisit. And moving means reorganizing homeschool/living spaces, which is always a fun challenge. I'll keep self-educations with DuoLingo and add AOPS as well.

• Like 1

Clean out craft room and restock

Clean out school room

Reorganize book shelves (we have 3000+ books)

plan and prep the entire school year (36 week hanging file folder system)

read up on Korean history (we're in late modern next year) and plan unit study (youngest is an adoptee from S. Korea) to be added to the Korean chapters in SOTW 4

consider starting a homeschooling blog and getting articles I've already written on it

read through lists of recommended reading for homeschoolers, choose several books, actually read a couple of them

make baby quilt with female relatives for pregnant niece

plan and have camping adventure with brother's family and some friends

think about cleaning the garage out but putting it off until Fall Break

think about reading several classics from Christendom but only getting part way through one or two at most

• Like 4

Looking at Scholaric.  Plan, plan, plan.  Doing Evan-Moor Paragraph Writing to try to get dd (entering 4th grade) able to write a paragraph without crying. (Writing a paragraph without drama is not too much for entering 4th grade, is it?!!?)  Xtra math for both dds.  Cleaning, organizing, preparing...baby due in October!!! 

I try to read a few books in the spring/summer since I can't make it to any homeschool conventions.  This year my picks are:

The Living Page--I'm halfway through this

A Charlotte Mason Education--I finished this and read the 2nd book since our libary had both.  I enjoyed the first one more than the 2nd.

Consider This--Have yet to start it

Penny Gardner's Charlotte Mason Study Guide--I'm a few chapters into this one

Workshops:  I have the SCM All Day Seminar.  I went through it a couple years ago, but didn't get to the Laying Down the Rails DVD...I'm planning on watching it this summer.

Blogs:  As I visit various blogs to research curriculum, I sign up for ones that look interesting.  I recently added Brandy Vencel's. 

I'm also trying to read through their history and LA books before the year begins.  It would be nice to discuss the books with them as they come up!  However, with 3 levels of ELTL and 3 levels of SCM's history guide, I'm not sure how much I'll be able to read over the summer. 

Favorite's to re-read each year:  I usually read through SCM's Planning Your CM Education each year (and fill out the planning forms as I go).  I also usually read through the WTM, Educating the Wholehearted Child, and Large Family Logistics once a year or so for ideas and refreshment.

• Like 1

I recently listened to The Liturgical Classroom and Virtue Formation and loved it. :001_wub:

Andrew Kern's How to Read a Great Book was fun too.

I'm currently reading How To Teach Your Children Shakespeare (along with Midsummer Night's Dream) and/or Beauty in the Word: Rethinking the Foundations of Education during swim practice. I'd like to read Liberal Arts Tradition, Teaching From Rest, and Abolition of Man (reread) this summer too. We'll see how far I get.

To prepare for specific courses next year I'm reading Joy of Chemistry (FOUR kids doing chem next year. Help.), and plenty about Harry Potter before writing the actual lesson plans for the inspiration of Rowling course. I've made it through Harry Potter's Bookshelf, and am working through Unlocking Harry Potter. I have HP and Philosophy: If Aristotle Ran Hogwarts and Finding God in HP on my shelf just for fun. There are plenty Brit lit books for this that I'll need to whip through this summer too, if I hope to keep up with this course during the year. Some I haven't read, or it's been way too long to remember much.

I watched Liturgical Classroom and Virtue Formation last spring and got inspired .... and then August came, and I lost previously discovered inspiration.

<sigh>  I should prepare for next school year, but does sedation count?

I also read Consider This last spring and loved it (maybe I should re-read it).  I read Cindy Rollins blog when it was still up - so good.  I read Teaching from Rest in the summer/fall, I think.  And I read Living Page during the year.  I enjoyed reading it, but it probably won't change my plans a great deal.  I heard Kern's How to Read a Great Book talk at Cincy a few weeks ago.  Maybe I'm not a hopeless case.  Maybe I need a Liturgical Classroom refresher and a couple good books.  I haven't read Abolition of Man yet.   

I am preparing by taking from Memorial Day to Labor Day off from school to rest, rejuvenate, and get in better shape. I'll clean out our homeschooling stuff to make way for next year's books/supplies, and watch all the WTM conference lectures that I purchased. I'm also preparing for next year by getting my youngest potty-trained and swim-safe for preschool.

• Like 6

Planning, of course. And a top priority is getting our new house unpacked and organized (we move across the country next week)!!

I also plan to read The Writer's Jungle and listen to The Great Courses Middle Ages series this summer to prepare for SOTW Volume 2.

• Like 1

Oh my, I have a huge list rolling around in my head! I am a chronic over estimator, so I no doubt have way more in my head than I can reasonably accomplish over the coming weeks and months.

My eldest applied to a local high school program, and we are waiting to hear on that. I am in a bit of limbo on high school. If my child is home, then I will be spending a good portion of summer preparing from that.

In addition to the potential HS planning, I have a couple of professional development books to read. I have some science and history to plan for the youngers. I have an entire school room closet that is getting a long, long overdue makeover. I need to put together some independent writing center type activities, as well as some morning work for my rising 4th grader. I would also like to catalogue our family library books and create a master library list. I do not work well on the fly, but inevitably I spend a good part of the year doing it on the fly. Down with the fly for 2015-2016! 

I re-read TWTM in March and then ordered stuff and started lesson planning (I'm one of those weirdos who plans out including days off before the beginning of the year).  I'm almost done with 2015-16 lesson plans.  I am determined to finish them before school ends for this year (on the 27th).  All I have left is pre-reading of just over three books.  I think I'll make it!

Hmmmm. Well, for me, the time I seek out inspiration for homeschooling, parenting and homemaking is in February and March. My journal is just *packed* with great quotes to keep me motivated for another year. Over the summer, I mostly just prepare for the upcoming year, although I always have a huge "To Read" list wanting some time ;) Oh! Except I recently asked for (and received) a list of pop science chemistry books here on the hive in order to prepare for our chemistry year, so I'm currently working through "Napoleon's Buttons" and have ordered "The disappearing Spoon" (I think that's what it was called) and a few more on stand-by depending on how the summer goes.

We won't be completely off this summer, my kids need a bit more structure than that. We're going to finish Canada's Natives Long Ago, keep working on math cause both olders are a bit behind/going slowly and do plenty of Nature Study and readingin. The rest of my time will be devoted to printing, planning and filing for the upcoming year (although I use 4 ginormous binders, not files, to keep al the papers in order). Additionally, I'll be fine-tuning my plan to complete SOTW 3 and a variety of Canadian history resources over the next two years, ending with our province's history right up to current times.

I love plannning, love preparing, love figuring it all out and finding things to educate and inspire for the upcoming year! Can't WAIT for summer :)

• Like 1

Reading, post-it-noting, reading, outlining, reading, correlating, watching, listening, reading, formatting, reading, calendar-filling, sitting on the backyard swing getting real with myself... :lol:

And the biggest thing of all is culling, culling, CULLING the heck out of my bookshelves. "Would I buy this again today?" If not, bye-bye. It all sits there like visual static on the shelves, making me feel like I should be picking it up. So I am thoroughly separating the wheat from the chaff.

I just finished my (6th?!) annual reading of The Writer's Jungle and my first reading of Help for High School. I think we'll be 75% Brave Writer in the coming year. The older my kids get, the more it resonates with me. (Of course I read TWJ during our week on the beach, a lot of it while sipping wine, so peacing out felt really natural. LOL)

• Like 4

I am schooling a rising tenth grader.

This summer I will

--write and submit to College Board for approval four AP syllabi: Comparative Government and Politics, Paychology, Calculus AB, Environmental Science

--finish all planning for biology, a full year blocked into one semester

--garden, garden, garden!

--relax :)

--rehab my shoulder while continuing to work with a personal trainer (this was a gift from dh)

--send lots and lots of letters and care packages to dd while she's away at language immersion camp for four weeks (:eek:)

--enjoy our first-ever kids-free vacation with dh :)

• Like 2

I have lots of prep for next year to do: finish planning our Narnia unit, Dd's Ancients course, and science. The first two are mostly done, just need to be more organized and written down. I am at square one with science, though. I know what I want to do and have lots of resources on my Amazon wish list and threads marked here. I will also work through MM5 to make sure I can do it. I am really enjoying learning math all over again and better!

For me and our big picture, I have TtC, TWSS, Writing with a Thesis, The Lively Art of Writing, Circe talks and the WTM online conference too. Thanks for the suggestion of The Abolition of Man! Not sure I will get to it this summer, but good to have it in mind. I am hoping to have some irl discussion nights for homeschool moms as follow up to the WTM sessions.

I have more planned than I know I can accomplish. I already did a bit of organizing and prepping of school stuff for next year. I am trying to get done as much as I can before baby comes. Now I am just focused on trying to get through the remainder of school before June. I signed up for a bunch of WTM conference classes which I am really excited for. I also found a great blog post with a bunch of great links to free talks which I am thoroughly enjoying listening to. I hope to make it through the list by the end of summer. I have a bunch of books I would love to work through as well including TWTM. I am planning on continuing at least some school through the summer, math, reading, science and art. But on the other hand I am hoping to make it a fun relaxing summer as much as possible with a new baby.

Here is the link to the blog with links if anyone is interested...

http://amongstlovelythings.com/listen-up-collection-of-my-favorite/

• Like 2

Book purging. Reorganizing shelves. Hanging out here. Buying next year's get it done curriculum.

Thinking of beefing up morning time and reading/listening/brainstorming about that. Preparing to tackle writing instruction wih my oldest and buying reference material to equip ME.

• Like 2

How am I preparing for the next school year?

• Planning the high school courses my son needs.
  • Attempting to not hyperventilate.
  • Stashing cans of soda and chocolate in the closet.
  • Imagining myself without any children to homeschool in 6 short years.
  • Deep breathing....

• Like 3

I have realized that the more I do in preparation, the less my "return on investment" in what they learn. So in that spirit I am teaching them to do more. I am teaching the boys to be more hands on around the house and guiding them to be more independent with household duties and transferring more responsibility for household chores to them. We descend into barbaric madness pretty quick without routine to give us structure to our day-to-day lives so the best thing I can do is be firm on discipline in the whole sense--orderly home, orderly minds, orderly students (I hope). I am hoping that by being stricter with discipline in general we'll have fewer problems with school work specifically.

We are organizing, decluttering and throwing out any old papers that have managed to be stashed longer than they have been used. We are installing a shelf to dedicate to our academic library reads and reformatting our school binders/calendars to better serve at a "big kid" level. I am studying up on writing instruction and am reading and rereading Treasured Conversations for the guided analysis approach. I am harvesting any and all useful PDFs and sorting through my digital media collection for those items that'll be most helpful to me.

• Like 2

I LOVE this talk so much. It is my favorite talk ever! I think I watched it once a month for the first six months after I first saw it. Gold!

I'm adding this to my list, and looking forward to SWB's talk on writing at the WTM conference. My oldest is entering third grade, so I feel like I'm ready to start stepping up my game a little in writing. I want to reread Teaching from a State of Rest, too. I love that book, and I feel like I need to be reminded over and over to simplify, simplify, simplify. 

• Like 3

I am focusing on nurturing the local HS community. I'm looking for a HS book to start in the fall with group of moms who meet weekly.  My first thought was studying small bits of CM at a time.

My personal study will be rereading CM Books.  I'm going to make good (legible) notes so that I can be prepared to lead a study.

I am always checking Circe for more audio lectures and podcasts.

I have a long list of HS projects to complete this summer.  Then, I will schedule out projects to work on slowly through the year to finish next summer. 

The kids' books are almost all bought.  I need 3 more, I think.  I need to pick through my shelves and collect what ds8 need for the school year.

I need to pay off the library fines so they let us back in. :blushing:  :lol:

The planners are made and sitting so prettily on the shelf.  I may bask in their untouched glory for a few more weeks...

I'm selling off stuff we don't use, cleaning off the shelves...strike that - cleaning out the boxes....we NEED shelves to put our books upon!

Other than that, I'm avoiding looking at greener grass.  I have seen it all...I'm learning to play guitar, pouring some energy into writing curric material for a local children's ministry, and being Mommy to the most adorable 2yo.

Buying chocolate as it goes on clearance after each holiday. Does that count? 

At least you have your priorities straight.   :hurray:

• Like 3

The first, and I think most important thing, I'm doing to prepare for next year is to clean/clean out my house from top to bottom. We live in a small house with limited storage space and the "stuff" is starting to take over. Time to get rid of some and reorganize the rest. It also really needs to be deep cleaned. It would probably be easier to just burn it down and start over but it seems the insurance company frowns on that.

The next thing I'm going to focus on is getting routines in place. I need to get the kids' morning and evening routines figured out and teach them to get through them quickly and thoroughly. I'll be assigning and training them all in new chores that will get the basic housekeeping jobs (laundry, dishes, pets) cared for each day. I also plan to set up routines for getting the rest of the house work done. I'm thinking having a full month long menu plan that I could reuse each month would also be helpful. Also, I'll be working on making self-care a priority (exercise, healthy eating, enjoying hobbies, etc.).

I've learned this year that taking care of the above issues will help tremendously with any school issues. I'll be re-reading Large Family Logistics to look for ideas.

School specific preparations will include:

Planning for the year. I've never planned for a whole year before but I think it will help keep us on track. Now I just have to figure out how.

Reading - The Well Trained Mind, Teaching From Rest, Charlotte Mason series (at least get it started), Diana Waring's books, and I'd love to read some things on unschooling for a different perspective. Now I want to check out some of the books mentioned above too. :-)

DVDs, CDs - SCM seminar, TWSS seminar, and anything else I can find online.

Also, self-education. The Well Educated Mind, Algebra, Duolingo for Spanish.

It looks like I have a busy summer ahead. I really want to just be done with school so I can focus on my list while still having time for gardening, pool days, beach days, and visiting friends. Unfortunately, we have a few things we REALLY need to finish up before we take a break. We usually school year round but I'm really not feeling it this year.

• Like 3

Although maybe I really should. No brain no pain....

Sounds like a great idea!

I will be clearing out all unneeded school stuff, going through my notes/ideas for next year, rereading The Self-Propelled Advantage, putting together my kids' new planners, and buying school supplies in July and August. I don't think I'll allow myself to do anything else before then.

We will be doing a half hour of school a day during June and July - mostly review.

• Like 1

1.  Declutter the house - especially the school room.

2.  Have dd13 come up with ideas for her first year of high school - what does she want her transcript to say?

3.  Devote more time to walking in the evening, resting, playing with the baby, etc.

4.  Listen to SWB's high school audio lectures.

5.  Make lots of coffee and do some serious high school blog reading.

6.  Take older two kids to visit the community college here (we have a great cc a few miles down the road from us).

I'm part of the decluttering camp--stuff-owning is very time consuming and not what I want to do with my life.

I'm also rereading some older books from the beginning of my homeschooling journey and refreshing my memory about the biological facts of child development for this chapter of my digital native's life.

A bit more thought to biological and historical perspective will probably help with the stuff-owning problem, lol.

• Like 1

After we take the last two weeks of May off, we will have our summer term. So that's where my planning is focused for now. 

My plan is to clean out Ivor, and restock with my books for the summer and fall. Then I figure that I can plan a book or two a week during summer term and be ready to go come August. Math and Latin will already be in progress at least.

• Like 1

Well, I started by doing a deep-clean of my kitchen yesterday. (It hasn't looked this good since the last time I was nesting during 3rd trimester of a pregnancy, circa 2009). I want to spend a week or two de cluttering/organizing my house. We already live lean/tidy, so it is just a tune-up of things that were ignored this scho-year.

Next, I will spend a few days working through Word Wealth Junior to write an answer key. I prefer that DD self-check work like this, so having a key is very helpful, and, as far as I can tell, the TE is non-existent. After that's done, I plan to work through AOPS prealgebra. I feel like I'll be much more empathetic and helpful to my DD if I have walked in her shoes. Also, I just need to brush up on my skills, as it has been a long time since I've done anything beyond arithmetic. I'll probably pick a couple classic books to read closely; haven't picked authors or titles yet.

I'm much further behind with planning than usual this year.  I have a child going into 7th grade and I need to change things up for him and I'm not sure just what I need yet.  It's been an overwhelming year for me in some ways and I need to start with a major cleaning and decluttering followed by some home projects that have been put off too long.  After that I'll be able to think more about educational summer activities and next fall's school schedule.

• Like 1

going through our huge supply of books once again for those that can be donated

wtm online conference talks

taking Japanese classes so I can attempt to teach the kids

Reading SWB's Medieval History book in prep for teaching it next year

Loading up on some upper level writing resources to help me figure out teaching writing

Figuring out what I really need by seeing if stuff is redundant before ordering it

making a read-aloud list so that I'll actually do it consistently this coming year ;)

• Like 1

My original plans have been turned tipsy turvy by my broken ankle and the discovery that my bones are brittle. So now my first priority is heal from the break and the surgery to fix it. Then trying a new doctor to balance my thyroid and other hormones to get my bones stronger.

I'm also trying to learn more about executive function and how to help those who need it (my whole family). Maybe get a coach for ds. I've found a great YouTube series called College Info Geek that teaches some skills in small bites. My kids actually like watching these and are trying some of the suggestions (Habit RPG).

Tons of other things like cleaning and de cluttering will just have to wait until I can walk again.

Ugh, this is SO frustrating. Ladies, take care of your bones!

• Like 2

- Hoping to do a self-retreat once per week by reading some book, watching a dvd, or listening to an audio lecture to self-educate, learn how to teach something better, or bask in great ideas

- Continue to declutter book shelves (two boxes ready to give away, hoping to fill at least one more box)

- File current year stuff, get next year's stuff on shelves

- Plan next year (yup, high school for eldest & four others following)

- Keep up our chore routine during the summer months

- Do some decluttering/sorting of closets

• Like 2

1. Serious spring cleaning/de-cluttering...I've gotten behind this year.  This is already in progress, we got a lot done this weekend.

2. I'm signed up for several sessions of the WTM Online Conference

3. Rereading TWTM

4. Finish reading History of the Medieval World  Finished!, purchase and start reading The History of the Renaissance World

5. Read The Story of Science and Science Matters  Finished this too :)

6. Continue prepping/writing lesson plans for BFSU Vol. 2.  

7. Pre-read some of the kids' assigned literature 

And all the usual non-homeschooling stuff...gardening, milking the cows, hopefully getting a second coop set up for our poultry, and helping DD get her steers ready for county fair in August.  

• Like 1