Menu

A poll about recess time

blondeviolin

Recess Time  

91 members have voted

1. 1. How much recess does your public-schooled elementary-aged child get?

• 0-15 min
    • 16-30 min
    • 31-45 min
    • 46-60 min
    • 61-75 min
    • 76-90 min
    • 91+ min
    • This doesn't apply to us, but I just like to answer poll questions.

I was speaking with my neighbor who told me our local kids don't get much recess: 20 minutes after they eat lunch. And they are not allowed to talk in the lunch room. Nor are they allowed to leave lunch early for more playtime. I was astonished and am wondering if it's this way elsewhere...

That's more or less how it was at DC's public school until we pulled them out.  Furthermore, lunch was silent - they couldn't talk at all, just eat.  The punishment for talking at lunch was that at recess, instead of playing, you had to walk in circles by yourself around the playground (even for Kers).  You think I'm kidding, but no.

They said the silent lunch was so kids could focus on eating, because otherwise they didn't eat enough.  I saw the line of kids waiting to be picked up after school by parents.  Trust me, most of these kids are having *no trouble* eating enough.

When my dds were in ps seven years ago they had at least 30 minutes a day for outside recess and it usually went to 45 minutes for dd in kindergarten. They also had PE, music, or art for 30 minutes after lunch (and they were allowed to talk but quietly).

My sister teaches Kindergarten and says her students get at least 30 minutes outside on days they can go out (there are times they are not allowed if it is too hot or too cold). On those days they have indoor recess in the room and play with the games and toys she has in there. They also alternate PE and one other elective (it varies) every day for 30 minutes.

My dds are now back in ps but in middle and high school so there is no recess. They are allowed to talk at lunch (no yelling but it gets really loud in there) and oldest in high school can roam around school grounds with her friends and do whatever for that 30 minutes. They have a nice courtyard with gardens and a fountain where they like to hangout.

I answered the last option, but did recently ask about this and found out that the local elementary schools have 15 minutes after lunch for recess. Also they have a 30 minute block each day that alternates for one day a week for each of Spanish, computers, art, music, and PE.

When I student taught in NZ (high school), the kids had an hour for lunch, which had to be eaten outside in almost all weather (weather is almost always excellent in NZ, so this was not a problem the way it might be here).  After eating they ran around outside playing rugby or basketball or chatting or whatever.  It seemed so civilized compared to the way things are done here.  They also got 20 minutes at like 10:30 in the morning for "tea" - they sat around in class and chatted and ate cookies/buttered rolls/etc.

Older boy went to public school.  My district's K-5 schedule is 15mins of recess including restroom/eating and 20mins of lunch which again includes restroom and eating.  My older boy spent his entire lunch eating so he didn't have time to play.  School day was 8:15am to 2:15pm.

Our school was good about this in grades 1-2, but in grade 3, it has been cut a lot.  I was wondering what others think of this as well.  I mean, I'm sure it's developmentally appropriate for kids to have less recess as they get older, but how much less, I'm not sure.

My kids' schedule shows one 20-minute recess some days, two 20-minute recesses other days, and gym twice a week.  However, the teacher seems to consider both gym and recess to be optional.  If the kids take too long on whatever is before recess / gym, including getting their shoes on or whatever, they just skip recess/gym and get back to work.  Also, kids like my Miss A who have a backlog of make-up work (which they are not allowed to bring home) are required to miss recess to get it done.  Miss A had no recess for about a month because she missed 4 days of school and isn't a quick worker.  (And now it's too cold for them to have recess... :/ )  The amount of time they get for free reading is also a lot less than prior years.

I don't think it's enough recess / free reading time, but I sympathize with the amount of work the teachers are expected to squeeze into each day.  We try to compensate by doing some exercise every evening.

My second grader gets 20 minutes of recess in the morning, 55 minutes of lunch -he brings a lunch, takes a few bites, and runs to play after 5 minutes or so, which leaves at least 45 minutes to play, then he gets 15 minute afternoon recess.

So 80 minutes a day.

By California law he is supposed to get 200 minutes of PE every two weeks, which averages out to 20 minutes a day. I don't think that always happens but when it does he gets 100 minutes a day outside.

1 hour including 20 minutes for lunch (about).

The teachers are discouraged from keeping kids in. DD2's teacher, when I asked if she could keep DD2 in to finish her homework that she forgot to bring home, said no, they need to go outside.

This does not include snack time for K-2.

It is 15-20 minutes after eating here also.  One of the things I've worked out for our behavioral education kids is outside time proactively as well as "in a moment."  Too bad every kid can't have an IEP like that :)  

I would love us to do like some countries and send our kids out for 15-30 minutes per hour or so....

Here in early elementary you get 10-15 minutes in the morning, 1/2 hour either before or after lunch (depending on your class' schedule) and 10-15 minutes in the afternoon.  Sometimes then get a third 10 minute period depending on the day and the teacher.  Kindergarten is only half day.

Upper elementary (3-5 grade)  gets 10 minutes in the morning then there is a 45 minute block for lunch and recess.  After the first 15 minutes students can decide if they want to stay in the lunchroom and eat and chat or go out for their recess.  after half an hour they have no choice and must go to recess for the last 15 minutes.  There is then usually a 10 minute recess in the afternoon.  Many teachers will use that afternoon recess for a class "hike" rather than free play.

Lunchrooms are definitely not silent, especially in the early elementary where they have dancing at least once a week (Cotton Eyed Joe, Chicken Dance etc).  It can get a little loud.

Kids with IEPs can have additional pull-outs during the day where they go and jump rope or other OT related activities.

I answered the last option, but did recently ask about this and found out that the local elementary schools have 15 minutes after lunch for recess. Also they have a 30 minute block each day that alternates for one day a week for each of Spanish, computers, art, music, and PE.

Schools here have that as well - it's a 40 minute period but it is considered their "specials," it's not really recess.  

dS4 had twenty minutes a day of actual recess in public school. Lunch was another twenty minutes, but since it didn't involve movement I didn't count it as unstructured playtime.

He had gym 2x a week.

Other than that, no unstructured playtime during school hours which were 8 am-2:45 pm.

And they couldn't figure out why a four year old was having such a hard time sitting still all day.

My kindergartener is in public school.  They get 3 outdoor recesses per day, supposed to be 15 minutes each, but the teacher pushes it a little longer.  They also have a 25 minute "free play" block during the day, and they have a 20 minute rest/quiet/nap time during the day.  This is a public charter, primary years IB themed, but the recess/free time is not school wide.  This teacher is just a gem.

When DD was in Catholic school, and when she was in public school, yes this was common. Kindergartners, I think, got the most at 30-40 minutes, while the other elementary grades received 20 minutes or so... assuming EVERYONE had behaved (we had an issue with the fourth grade teacher, who was fond of taking away recess - instead making the children run the track even in 90 degree weather - for the entire class if one child misbehaved).

After grade 5 in our city, there is no recess (so no recess for middle school or high school).

The private school last year that DD went to was exceptional in this regard, despite our other problems with the school in general. Everyone (even the middle/upper school students) got a generous recess, a generous lunch period, a snack period, and try incorporated physical (outdoors when weather permitted) activity into the regular lessons (like building water areas, and structures for history, or painting outside during art, or teaching the younger children old fashioned games during their literature unit - outside and active), and of course their PE/sports period was almost always outside if it was decent out. I would say that all of the children at this particular school (K-8) averaged 1-2 hours daily of active play... at least; when weather was nice, it was upwards of 3 hours. All of the kids were 2E, all had learning disabilities, and almost all were also dx'd ADHD, so they made sure the kids had an outlet.

Schools here have that as well - it's a 40 minute period but it is considered their "specials," it's not really recess.

I mentioned it only to point out that they aren't getting physical education daily or for long either (30 minutes once a week), so it's not like they're getting energy out there also.

When my son was in PS first grade, he had one 20 minute recess after a 20 minute lunch. He worked slowly and his teacher would make him miss recess to catch up on his work.  If the students were too noisy at lunch, they would have a silent lunch. Now all the schools have gone to a six day schedule for "specials" like art, P.E., and music so they may not even have P.E. every week in some schools. This schedule is very common in my area.

NZ. Morning tea 10.30 to 10.50 lunch break 12.30 to 1.30 (must sit outside and eat for 20 mins before play). Start school at 9 and finish at 3. There are variations but this is fairly standard all the way through school although high school has a slightly longer day and some big high schools may stagger lunch. PE is scheduled - at the moment they swim mosf days plus in the younger levels especially the teacher will take them out for quick games to break up the day.

And why has the format changed suddenly. What have I done.

When my kids were in ps, they got a morning and an afternoon recess, each 15 min. I can't remember if they got a short after lunch recess or not. There may have been an additional 10 min after lunch, but I don't think so. I voted 16-30 min.

The did have 45 min of PE once/week in addition. Talking was allowed in the lunchroom. 

My public schooled son gets 20 minutes a day. The time varies by grade. Some go out before lunch and some after lunch. Of course, that 20 minutes includes walking to and from the playground when they go outside, so the outside time is actually shorter. It seems they spend at least 1/3 of the year doing indoor recess, however. If it's below 32 they have to stay inside. If it's raining they have to stay inside. If it might start raining they have to stay inside. If a little birdie told the teacher that there might be a drop of water on the playground they have to stay inside. Okay, the last one is an exaggeration, but the number of days they stay inside is pretty ridiculous. I like a lot of things about my son's school. The recess policy is not one of them.

On the bright side, they get to talk at lunch, so I guess it could be worse based on some posts upthread.