Menu

Do you salt your melon?

poppy

When I was 10 or so, I started taking my own saltshaker to my church's July 4th picnic; the poor hostess committee was uneducated in proper watermelon consumption :)

At least 4 generations on my mother's side salted watermelon. Now I only do it if I'm not particularly pleased with the quality. I never salt my friend's fresh-off-the-farm ones.

I was declared a freak for this in college in SoCal; none of my friends had heard of it.

We could open a whole new argument with my 4-generation paternal habit of never serving pancakes or waffles without peanut butter.

We could open a whole new argument with my 4-generation paternal habit of never serving pancakes or waffles without peanut butter.

Ack, this is so gross.  My parents eat them this way, as did my grandparents.  I don't like peanut butter, so perhaps that's why I find it gross, but even if I did, it just seems so....wrong.

My grandfather always ate the same dessert after every dinner.  It was fresh biscuits (I swear my grandmother spent most of her days making biscuits), sliced open with peanut butter spread on them, then covered with dark Karo syrup.  He used so much syrup he had to eat it with a fork.  Ick.  He said he'd eaten that almost every day of his life (he was born in 1899), and was what kept him alive for so long (along with a few "swigs" behind the shed).

I occasionally French dressing on pizza and I didn't know it was a thing! More sweet + more fat. Unhealthy but it hits those pleasure centers in the brain.

I have heard of ranch on pizza, trendy in CA 20 or so years ago.

The only kind of Melon I eat is Watermelon and yes, sometimes I do (not an unusual thing to do in S. Indiana).  One of my favorite memories from childhood is eating salted watermelon under my Mim's Tulip Tree at family cookouts, then spitting seeds at my PITA cousin.  

I also will occasionally put salt on green apples (same family members taught me that).  

I nearly always salt melon, especially when it isn't very tasty. The only exceptions are the local, heirloom melons at the farmer's market. There are several that have such a lovely, complex taste that I don't want to mess with them. I also hate cooked fruit and fruit pies, for the PP that joined these two things together.

I also put a sprinkle of salt in chocolate milk (Yum-O!) and when I'm feeling indulgent, put peanut butter, brown sugar, and then maple syrup on my pancakes.

I know people that put ranch dressing on their pizza but not french dressing. Hey what about people putting fries on their salad? Strange.

you know what is really good? Dipping your french fries in soft serve ice cream!!! 

I sometimes salt my melons. Usually do with watermelon. Salt on apples is really yummy. I use sugar and salt at the same time on grapefruit (otherwise it is just yucky).