Menu

How can you stop using a debit card?

Blueridge

After reading budgeting books and hearing stories of increasing debit card fraud, I would really like to stop using it. I know cash is easier to budget, too. The problem is the convenience factor. Dh uses his for everything...even tiny purchases. I use mine online. How can you stop using debit cards?

I've wondered the same thing. I use mine for everything. I'd have to carry a large amount of cash around to cover all the groceries, gas and whatnot I buy on a daily business. I have thought about going with a credit card. I think it's supposedly easier to handle fraudulent issues. I'm not sure.

Old school here--checkbook. Actually, checks, credit card, or cash. I don't use a debit card. I have an ATM card which allows me to get cash from the bank (but I usually just write my grocery check for $20 over for cash), but it is not a debit card and can't be used as one. I pay for groceries by check, most other purchases over $10 with a credit card, and small purchases with cash. It was several years ago that we heard Clark Howard speak against debit cards because of the fraud/theft issues and we chose not to get them. Most places that take debit cards will also take credit cards. There is no reason you have to have a debit card.

You can set up a debit card so that it can only charge as much as is in your account and CAN NOT be overdrawn---but we had to specifically ask for this as it is not the default.

I do use my debit card for 10-15 small purchases a month as our credit union offers 3% interest on our account up to $15,000 if we have 10 debit purchases a month, automatic deposit, and 4 online banking log ins a month. Nothing else is paying 3% so we do that.

Other than that I use cash for groceries and personal spending and then use a credit card with airline miles for gas, online purchases, etc. I pay that off each month so never have any fees, etc.

We use cash.  It does amount to quite a bit, but we only carry what will be immediately spent plus a bit more ($20-40) for emergencies. I do carry my debit card with me at all times because some venders don't accept cash.  I suppose you could use a credit card as your back up.  Dh wanted to do away with all debit/credit cards years ago.  I made a case for keeping them even if they aren't used.  How else can you book a hotel, airline ticket, purchase online, etc.? 

You could always buy a prepaid card, however you would have minimal fees each time you recharge.

I use a no fee credit card for almost every single purchase and pay it off at the end of the month.  We went this route after our checking account was hacked five or six years ago and stores wouldn't accept our checks.

But you can use a debit card and have all of the protections of a credit card.  You just have to have to have a bank that offers the same level of protection.  But I'm not familiar enough with that to know exactly what to tell you.

Aldi is the only place I know of that takes only cash or debit cards. Everyone else takes credit cards. Except the guy we buy our Christmas tree from. He only takes cash unless you're a local. Then he'll take your check.

My vote is for you to use your credit card and pay it off each month. If you get one with cash back then at the end of the year you'll have a little extra.

Data shows that most people tend spend a bit more overall with a card, even one they pay off in full each month or a debit card.

We do a mix but I am the most frugal and careful when I am using cash. I just get it from the bank branch by my home. I keep a little bit of cash in my car and my bedroom as well for emergencies. I have a debit and a credit card if needed.

One thing we do always use a card for is gas. Too big of a PITA to go inside.

I use cash for in-person purchases such as groceries, a credit card for gas (but you could of course pay cash for that), and then have my card number memorized for use online. I pay the bill in full when it arrives. I do not use a debit card at all.

If you lock your debit card up (safe deposit box?), you will not use it unnecessarily.

I have a second, free checking account just to use the debit card.  It does not include overdraft protection and it's not connected to any other account.  I keep enough money for gas and other places where I prefer to use a debit card.  Otherwise, I pay in cash or check.  I don't have a credit card, but am considering applying for one to keep for emergencies.  

We also use credit cards that give us back a premium and have no fees.   We pay them off each month, so we still have to be careful not to overspend.  I don't like using cash  as I find it too easy to lose track of a purchase.   With a card everything can easily be accoubted for.

Aldi is the only place I know of that takes only cash or debit cards. Everyone else takes credit cards. Except the guy we buy our Christmas tree from. He only takes cash unless you're a local. Then he'll take your check.

My vote is for you to use your credit card and pay it off each month. If you get one with cash back then at the end of the year you'll have a little extra.

We don't shop at Aldi's for this reason. I don't carry that much cash, and I refuse to have a debit card.

We use cash for everything but we have a fairly small budget to work with. DH gets paid weekly and I separate it out into envelopes. Three weeks out of the month I have to put money away for rent and the other week pays all the other bills. I have an envelope for rent, food and gas. We spend about 80 a week on gas so that gets put aside and I usually take about 100 a week and go to the store the same day as he gets paid. It is really easy to see what I have, what I need and I don't get any surprises or unnecessary fees. It does cost a little to cash his check though. Anything I need online I would put on a pre-paid card but mostly I just sell old materials to buy new ones via paypal.  I don't think its the cheapest way to do things but it works for us right now.

I think on a bigger budget it would be harder.

We also use credit cards and pay off monthly. I've never had a debit card. I've always known that if there's fraud on the card you may loose everything in the debit account with no chance of getting it back. Credit cards have better protection.

We used to go cash only once a year , during Lent. That is cash only except gas. We both needed gas for work and paying cash for gas is a pain.

An envelop cash system sounds like it could work.

We use credit cards because it gives us 2% cash back.  We use the cash back to pay the annual credit card fee and then there is usually quite a bit left over.  We pay it off every week or so to minimize interest.  

Our bank is pretty great with regards to security... every time we make a purchase on our debit card or credit card we get a sms informing us of what we spent and where.  Sometimes if the spending is unusual they call us right away to make sure we authorized the purchase.  We then take the info and immediately put it into toshl to keep track of spending.  

I tend to be bad with money - losing it in the washing machine or under things.  It makes for happy surprises when I do laundry, but I'm still better off just using my cards.

We use credit cards because it gives us 2% cash back.  We use the cash back to pay the annual credit card fee and then there is usually quite a bit left over.  We pay it off every week or so to minimize interest.  

That's the other reason we use credit cards. We have one that gives cash back (use this exclusively for gas and groceries not purchased at Target), we have one that give points (I save points and use them all for Christmas presents), and last year we got a Target credit card because we get most groceries (and a lot of basic clothing/household stuff) and that gives us 5% off every purchase.

I think if you use credit cards like you would a debit card, recording each purchase, monitoring if you will be able to pay it at the end of the month then using credit cards is fine. Trouble comes when you don't monitor your spending closely like you do when you use a debit card. 

I know the whole thing with cash is about spending less, but I truly hate carrying large amounts of cash around.  I hate separating it out into envelopes for specific purposes even more.  

And, because we live a ways out from things like shopping, Costco, etcĂ¢â‚¬Â¦..I tend to stop at those places while I am out that way rather than specifically getting cash, getting in my car, and driving all the way there just to shop.

So, I really don't like the cash idea.  

However, I find that if I use YNAB and make sure and add each expenditure into it, I do much better with spending and can stick to my budget.

We need to get back to doing it and I have a goal of starting again on Jan. 1.  I had a computer crash a while ago that erased all of my YNAB account and I just never got back into the habit.

Costco, also. They take all debit cards but only Amex credit cards. Plus cash or check, of course.

Thank you all so much! I am sharing all your thoughts with dh today. If I can just hit upon the right combination of your advice to suit his personality, maybe he will see that his debit card habits are really not the best or safest way to handle the money.

Could you get your DH a separate acct with a debit card and transfer only the $ he needs for gas/weekly exp over and not link it to your other accts?

I have 3 separate checking accounts: 1 for monthly bills,1 I use online (paypal, etc) and 1 for short term savings (all not linked to same debit card and each other, you do have to tell the bank I do not want overdraft on account xxx, because that is the default).

That way if his debit card was lost/stolen, there would be less money at risk.

I guess I don't really understand the issue.

I use my debit card for pretty much every single thing.  It has been compromised a couple of times over the years, but the bank usually catches it before I even do (that fraud detection software is amazing!), they lock the card, send me a new one, and immediately put back all of the missing funds into my account while they resolve the case.  

Since it has always been actual fraud by another person and not me trying to scam the bank, I've never had an issue with having to wait for funds to go back into my account or anything.  

Are people concerned that the bank will not restore their funds until they've completed the investigation?  I suppose that could be the case in some financial institutions, but it hasn't been for any bank or credit union I've been with.  

What else are you concerned about that you wouldn't have the same concern with a credit card?

I guess everybody is different.  I'm not a big spender, and certainly not usually an impulsive one (mostly because I don't enjoy shopping), but the "cash only" idea has never made any sense at all for me.  I know when I have cash with me and see some little something I want, I'm more apt to go ahead and get it than if I don't have any cash.  Because with cash I can pay for it and never have to think about it again.  But if I need to use the debit/credit card, I think two or three times before buying because I know sooner or later I'm going to have to look at that transaction again.  And it makes me stop and really think about whether or not I'll still be happy with the purchase then.

I guess I don't really understand the issue.

I use my debit card for pretty much every single thing.  It has been compromised a couple of times over the years, but the bank usually catches it before I even do (that fraud detection software is amazing!), they lock the card, send me a new one, and immediately put back all of the missing funds into my account while they resolve the case.  

Since it has always been actual fraud by another person and not me trying to scam the bank, I've never had an issue with having to wait for funds to go back into my account or anything.  

Are people concerned that the bank will not restore their funds until they've completed the investigation?  I suppose that could be the case in some financial institutions, but it hasn't been for any bank or credit union I've been with.  

What else are you concerned about that you wouldn't have the same concern with a credit card?

I can't think of any good reason to expose my full bank account  to a system that gets compromised frequently.

Also there is the matter of protection from risk. Found this online.

Currently, credit cards are protected under the Truth in Lending Act (TILA), which limits a consumersĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ liability to $50 in charges if a credit card is ever lost or stolen. Once a charge is disputed, a creditor has 90 days to investigate the matter, during which time you may withhold payment of the disputed item.

But victims of debit card scams are not as lucky. While you are protected by the Federal Electronic Fund Transfer Act, you are required to notify your bank of fraudulent activity within two days. Even then, you are still liable for up to $50 of the losses. After two days, your liability rises to $500. And after 60 days, your liability is unlimited.

During the investigation period for a fraudulent debit card transaction, the funds cannot be held. In fact, the moment the card was swiped, the funds were likely pulled from your bank account. If youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re lucky, your bank might refund your losses minus the $50 liabilityĂ¢â‚¬â€œbut in many cases, the funds are lost forever.

And NEVER use a debit card with a PIN, if your PIN is compromised you have no protection at all.

OP, we use the "free card with cash back, paid off in full every month" method too. If you have credit issues, I'd recommend a debit card associated with a small independent account, not your regular checking account, like a PP suggested.  That way your risk of loss is minimized.

I guess everybody is different.  I'm not a big spender, and certainly not usually an impulsive one (mostly because I don't enjoy shopping), but the "cash only" idea has never made any sense at all for me.  I know when I have cash with me and see some little something I want, I'm more apt to go ahead and get it than if I don't have any cash.  Because with cash I can pay for it and never have to think about it again.  But if I need to use the debit/credit card, I think two or three times before buying because I know sooner or later I'm going to have to look at that transaction again.  And it makes me stop and really think about whether or not I'll still be happy with the purchase then.

I'm the same way, but I do understand that according to people who study these things you and I are in the minority.

I can't think of any good reason to expose my full bank account  to a system that gets compromised frequently.

Also there is the matter of protection from risk. Found this online.

Currently, credit cards are protected under the Truth in Lending Act (TILA), which limits a consumersĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ liability to $50 in charges if a credit card is ever lost or stolen. Once a charge is disputed, a creditor has 90 days to investigate the matter, during which time you may withhold payment of the disputed item.

But victims of debit card scams are not as lucky. While you are protected by the Federal Electronic Fund Transfer Act, you are required to notify your bank of fraudulent activity within two days. Even then, you are still liable for up to $50 of the losses. After two days, your liability rises to $500. And after 60 days, your liability is unlimited.

During the investigation period for a fraudulent debit card transaction, the funds cannot be held. In fact, the moment the card was swiped, the funds were likely pulled from your bank account. If youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re lucky, your bank might refund your losses minus the $50 liabilityĂ¢â‚¬â€œbut in many cases, the funds are lost forever.

And NEVER use a debit card with a PIN, if your PIN is compromised you have no protection at all.

OP, we use the "free card with cash back, paid off in full every month" method too. If you have credit issues, I'd recommend a debit card associated with a small independent account, not your regular checking account, like a PP suggested.  That way your risk of loss is minimized.

I understand what you're saying, but the financial institutions with which I do business do provide 100% protection, as I said previously, and that has been my experience my entire adult life. 

I understand what you're saying, but the financial institutions with which I do business do provide 100% protection, as I said previously, and that has been my experience my entire adult life. 

I have worked in banks my entire adult life, except for one eight-year stint in an investment firm.  I do not suggest trusting banks to do right by you as a consumer.  The federal protections were put in place for a reason.

We had our debit account used for fraudulant purposes a few months ago. The credit union took several days to put the money back...almost 1,000 dollars. I think it was 5 or 7 days. Had it been more money than that we could really have had trouble, with bills coming out, etc. That's why we switched to using a credit card instead. 

We've actually never had a debit card.  We have three different major credit cards which we use as convenience cards more than credit cards (the balance is paid in full each month so there really isn't credit extended). We also still write checks for quite a few things (most bills, and I usually write checks at our local grocery store).  In your case you could go to a credit card for the convenience factor and use cash/checks at other times.

Cash, just carry cash.

For a couple years, I was really diligent about using cash for everything, and it was HUGELY helpful in curtailing spending and avoiding surprise cc bills at the end of the month. I carried two cash envelopes, b/c I really only had two on-the-run budget categories -- groceries + everything else. If you have more categories (that you pay for away from home), then have more envelopes. I used a cc for gas b/c really there is no impulse spending at the gas pump, and using a cc helped me avoid having to go into the little gas station store. 

I routinely had $500-1000 cash in my purse for those years, and even now, I routinely have $300-500 in my purse. I have never had anything stolen or lost out of my purse. You can also keep a "cash box" at home with $500-1000 in it, so you can easily refill your purse cash from there, avoiding having to carry so much. You get used to carrying cash; it's really no big deal. How many times in your life have you been pick-pocketed or had your nurse stolen? Me - never. So, I don't sweat it. 

Our bank debit card can be used as a credit card, but the amount is taken out of our checking account just like we used it as a debit.  The auto swipe machines prompt you to debit because the retailer does not have to pay the credit card fee.  I just hit no/red and use my debit as a credit card. 

We have not used credit cards in a while and we are changing now to charging household expenses, i.e, groceries to credit card in light of the recent security breach at Target. While we were not affected, it sparked a conversation and we already discussed with our credit union the major security differences between debit and credit card. I honestly had no clue how dangerously I was living...

I spend cash when I have it but am more diligent with credit cards. I think it's because when I spend cash, it's just gone. When I put a purchase on the credit card, it gets downloaded to MS Money and catagorized (groceries, dining out, utilities, etc etc). So I see purchases twice that way and it makes me a bit more accountable.  Plus, I do like seeing the chart of spending by category.

We put everything on credit cards for the rewards.  2% over the course of a year when it has all your groceries, all your utilities, all your expenses really really adds up.

I have worked in banks my entire adult life, except for one eight-year stint in an investment firm.  I do not suggest trusting banks to do right by you as a consumer.  The federal protections were put in place for a reason.

Well, luckily it has worked out for me.  I have no reason to believe it won't in the future, but if it doesn't, I guess some people will be able to say they told me so. 

Cash, just carry cash.

For a couple years, I was really diligent about using cash for everything, and it was HUGELY helpful in curtailing spending and avoiding surprise cc bills at the end of the month. I carried two cash envelopes, b/c I really only had two on-the-run budget categories -- groceries + everything else. If you have more categories (that you pay for away from home), then have more envelopes. I used a cc for gas b/c really there is no impulse spending at the gas pump, and using a cc helped me avoid having to go into the little gas station store. 

I routinely had $500-1000 cash in my purse for those years, and even now, I routinely have $300-500 in my purse. I have never had anything stolen or lost out of my purse. You can also keep a "cash box" at home with $500-1000 in it, so you can easily refill your purse cash from there, avoiding having to carry so much. You get used to carrying cash; it's really no big deal. How many times in your life have you been pick-pocketed or had your nurse stolen? Me - never. So, I don't sweat it. 

My mom routinely carries at least a few hundred dollars and it makes her very anxious about her purse-she hugs it to herself.

Then again, not having the security of cash with her makes her anxious too.

Well, luckily it has worked out for me.  I have no reason to believe it won't in the future, but if it doesn't, I guess some people will be able to say they told me so. 

Whatever floats your boat! I do lots & lots of things many WTMers would disapprove of :cheers2:

Just wanted to put that out there for other folks who are reading an on the fence.  I see yearly presentations from people who make lots and lots and lots of money celebrating how much of our profits come from fees and nickel-and-diming small time consumers (answer: lots).  It's not really an honorable business.

Whatever floats your boat! I do lots & lots of things many WTMers would disapprove of :cheers2:

Just wanted to put that out there for other folks who are reading an on the fence.  I see yearly presentations from people who make lots and lots and lots of money celebrating how much of our profits come from fees and nickel-and-diming small time consumers (answer: lots).  It's not really an honorable business.

Yeah, I know.  It's banking.  They're not there for altruistic reasons, for sure!  

Still, it's a calculated risk that has paid off just fine for me, although I understand everyone has different levels of comfort with different things.  I don't always lock my front door, either.  :laugh:

Cash, just carry cash.

Stolen once. Left behind...more times than I care to admit. I don't mind carrying around $500 or so, but a trip to the grocery store is at least that much for me. I'd be having to go to the bank for cash constantly. I usually try to keep $20 on me in cash, but often it leaves and I only have change.

Stolen once. Left behind...more times than I care to admit. I don't mind carrying around $500 or so, but a trip to the grocery store is at least that much for me. I'd be having to go to the bank for cash constantly. I usually try to keep $20 on me in cash, but often it leaves and I only have change.

At least $500 for a routine grocery run? Holy guacamole! I thought I spent a lot at the grocery!

At least $500 for a routine grocery run? Holy guacamole! I thought I spent a lot at the grocery!

My first trip of the month is $300-400. That is because in addition to the week's groceries, I buy all toiletries, paper products,cleaning products and pet stuff during the first shop of the month. It makes the rest of the trips much quicker..... There is NO WAY I'd carry that much cash on me. Plus, the amount is unpredictable. If I find a sale on something we use a lot of, I'm stocking up.

My first trip of the month is $300-400. That is because in addition to the week's groceries, I buy all toiletries, paper products,cleaning products and pet stuff during the first shop of the month. It makes the rest of the trips much quicker..... There is NO WAY I'd carry that much cash on me. Plus, the amount is unpredictable. If I find a sale on something we use a lot of, I'm stocking up.

It doesn't bother me. I get $500 on payday, go to the store that night and spend most of it. I usually only have a couple hundred on me. Cash is king!!