Menu

Do you answer door when home alone?

gingersmom

I'm home alone today and the doorbell just rang. I froze.

I'm so used to other people in the house during the day. The dog is at daycare and I miss her big ferocious bark that keeps most people from my front door.

I felt liked I needed to grab a weapon before going to door (weird I know but I am overly security conscious).

I never answered and I hope they are gone.

Tell me I'm not alone and other people react like this.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually, but I have a big dog with a ferocious bark as well.  If he wasn't here, I might feel differently.  I think you were fine not answering the door.  If it was something important, whoever it was will find a way to get in touch with you. 

ETA: We live out in the woods, and our neighbors are not very close, so that factors into my response.

I do if I feel like it, but then I don't always answer the door when other people are here, either. 

If I'm not expecting someone, then I don't feel compelled to answer a door just because someone knocks on it.  If it's UPS or FedEx, they'll leave the package. 

I treat the phone the same way.

That sounds really irrational. I'm so sorry you're experiencing that. Have you been treated for anxiety?

Just to be clear, I don't think you have to answer the door, but having someone ring your bell shouldn't be terrifying.  It's 99.9999% likely to be a delivery person or missionary or salesperson or neighbor.

When I'm home alone, I do answer, after looking out the window.

We have a huge window that looks out over the driveway.  If there is a car, I will answer the door, no car no answer the door (door to door sales, political signup sheets run rampant here).  I've never had anyone with a car not be someone I didn't know so this has worked well for me.

I don't answer the door even when I am not home alone.  I know when the UPS, FedEx and DHL guys are coming with my parcels so I would be expecting their arrival.  The only other people that ring my doorbell are people selling newspaper subscription.  My neighbors would call and fixed a time if they want to drop by so no unexpected visitors.

I don't answer the door even when I am not home alone.  I know when the UPS, FedEx and DHL guys are coming with my parcels so I would be expecting their arrival.  The only other people that ring my doorbell are people selling newspaper subscription.  My neighbors would call and fixed a time if they want to drop by so no unexpected visitors.

This is my tendency too.  Drop-ins are a no-go here, and my friends and family know it. :tongue_smilie: If I can discreetly look, I will.

Extra note:  as a Mormon this can be interesting.  Other Mormons will know what I mean. In my experience, drop-ins are a big part of the LDS culture.

It's just me and the very young kids, and while we live in a safe neighborhood, the overall area isn't necessarily safe, so when the doorbell rings I sidle up to a window and check them out.  If I don't recognize them, I don't open it, unless they look particularly innocuous.  If they don't leave after a while I get everyone upstairs where we keep the guns and a panic button for the security system.  I've never felt the need to get out the guns or press the button, though.  I just like to get near them, just in case.  I wish we had a dog with a ferocious bark. :)  But as it is I can barely stay on top of all the needs of the two young kids and three cats!  I don't need a puppy as well!

I almost always answer. We've had some break-ins in town while people were out. My working theory is that the burglars knock and then try to come in if they think the house is empty. I'd rather answer than have someone try to enter. Sometimes I answer through the door and say I'm not available for the same effect with less hassle.

Bad guys don't usually knock so, yes, I answer the door.

They do around here. We've had a rash of break-ins the last few months. They come to the door under the guise of a salesperson, carpet cleaner, etc. If there's no answer, they kick in the door and burglarize you. 

That sounds really irrational. I'm so sorry you're experiencing that. Have you been treated for anxiety?

Thanks for making me laugh! I don't think I'm irrational or having anxiety issues. 

I have always hated answering the door if home alone or if I was not expecting someone. 

Yes but i'm always aware of my surroundings and look for their car in the area, always know where my kubaton is (usually in pocket or the hand behind the door.  Its a tool I rarely don't have within reach if I'm out of the house or am not locked in the house

I answer the door only when I am home alone. If anyone is home with me, I make someone else do it. I hate interruptions. I've never felt unsafe about the doorbell, just annoyed.

Ha!

I've never thought twice about answering the door. Even if I'm not alone, it's usually just me and ds. He's 13 now, but I'm not sure what help a toddler or 6 yo would have been in a bad situation.

I have occasionally not answered the door when I've seen the person and it's not someone I care to speak to, i.e. a missionary or the "meat truck" guy. But I'm not afraid.

They do around here. We've had a rash of break-ins the last few months. They come to the door under the guise of a salesperson, carpet cleaner, etc. If there's no answer, they kick in the door and burglarize you.

In that case, answering the door makes more sense than not answering.

Thanks for making me laugh! I don't think I'm irrational or having anxiety issues. 

I have always hated answering the door if home alone or if I was not expecting someone.

I think freezing and feeling like you need to grab a weapon are irrational, and I think that they hint at an anxiety issue. But, you certainly don't have to agree.

Absolutely! Maybe they'll want to sit down for a cup of coffee! Or bring books with them!

I don't open the glass door though. Just the wooden one. And I have windows I can see them from without opening any door.

I get *highly* agitated when they grab that door to be more face to face. Highly. Twice they have just yanked it assuming it wouldn't be locked and thus broke it. I was not happy.

I have no problem answering the door when I'm home alone.

In which case not answering the door increases the risk rather than reducing it.

Usually no. Not because I feel unsafe, but because at least 90% (not exaggerating) of the people that come to the door are solicitors. The rest of the time it's the UPS man...I gladly answer the door for him!

Honestly, even when I'm not alone, we still don't usually open the door. It's just not worth the hassle. I do usually glance outside, just in case it's a neighbor, but I can count on one hand the number of times that's happened in the seven years we've lived in this house!

It depends on my mood and if I am expecting someone.

On the glorious and auspicious occasion of being all alone in my house I do not feel even the slightest twinge of remorse for doing exactly as I please*, and doing it without unwanted interruptions.

*which is most likely reading and eating chocolate or watching netflix and, you guessed it, eating chocolate.

It's often wide open.

I generally see people well before they get to the door but have had a few suprises.

Nothing bad, just enough to grab a dressing gown or rapidly zip up a tight fly.

I have house sitters now in the house we moved from and I've warned them that a few friends have a key (for when we weren't home and they wanted to borrow something).

They've warned them to knock or risk being scarred by what they may see.

A lot of times bad guys WILL knock or ring the bell. They will even look for your name on your mailbox and try to find your phone number to call and see if anyone is home.

I live very rural and people don't just drop by. We don't get any mail or deliveries to our house either. I do not answer my door unless I am expecting someone. I have two dogs and a driveway alarm that will alert me to anyone on my property and I am normally armed.

I don't think it's strange that you don't answer the door, but I would be a little concerned with the anxiety.

No.  Almost never.  The UPS man will leave packages without me answering.  My neighbors are not the types to just drop by.  Most of the time if the doorbell rings, it's because someone is trying to sell me magazines, meat off a truck, or pine needles.  I don't feel that I owe it to them to answer the door.  When my kids were little, I probably answered more often because it really might be one of their friends looking for someone to play with.  If my mother wants to come by, she calls. Most of my friends would call to give me heads up if they are coming by.  So an unexpected ring doesn't make me feel compelled to answer, and usually they see my big barking dog in the glass door and leave.

Funny story though.  I once stopped and rang a stranger/s door bell because there was smoke coming from a tree in their yard.  I wasn't sure why, but it was clearly happening and I didn't know if they knew.  They didn't answer at first, and when they finally did, the gentleman looked soooo annoyed that I was bothering him.  He was pretty grateful that I bothered though, once I pointed out the problem. He explained that their house had been robbed earlier in the week so they were all "on edge." 

I live in the middle of nowhere.  If I know the person at the door, I answer it.  If I don't know them, I don't answer the door because I am suspicious about why a stranger would visit us.  Usually this happens once a year.

Once it was a meat truck lady, so I had to answer the door so I could post about it here.  Twice, it has been people who leave religious pamphlets at the door.  Mostly, it's not worth the trouble I have to take to control my barking, leaping, growling dog who leaves his saliva all over the windows, he is so worked up when strangers come.

The way I see it, the door is mine to answer or not, as I choose.  Similar to the phone.

Always. And the children know they have to open the door, too, if they are alone at home (we do have a security gate between us at the visitor, though). Someone thinking the house is empty, breaking in and then finding people in the house seems to me to be a more likely bad scenario than opening the door for a would-be attacker.

Actually I've known three people -- first hand -- who didn't answer the door and didn't make it clear they were home, so the bad guy -- thinking nobody was home -- went around to the backyard and attempted to get in.

1) One friend -- as a child -- hid in the outdoor shed and the bad guys walked right by her.

2) Second kid was home alone -- sick -- and he called 911 as the bad guy was trying to get in.

3) The third friend is in a wheel chair -- was in bed, sick as a teen -- called her mom saying, "What do I do?! They're in the backyard."

All three of these were in extremely upscale, expensive areas of a fancy suburb. Thankfully nobody was hurt.

I wanted to say to the OP that I don't answer the door. Another friend in a swanky area had a neighbor who answered the door and had a home invasion.

But I do make it clear that I'm home so that nobody heads for my backyard. I usually just yell, "I'm not interested! Thanks anyway!"

Our neighborhood has strict signs that say "no soliticiting" -- not that it helps. One solicitor started arguing with me insisting that she was soliciting. Yes, she was.

Alley

I do answer the door.  No reason not to- we don't have home robberies occurring here and even in Northern VA, they didn't occur with most people - that is they targeted certain groups that were well known to keep vast stores of expensive jewelry or cash at home- not something that most native born Americans do-since we tend to trust banks and tend to keep very little cash on hand and also while native born Americans have normal amounts of jewelry- we don't tend to keep our wealth in gold and jewels.  Those nationalities that did got home invasion robberies in every area that I have lived where they were in a large enough number for robbers to get interested- Northern VA, CA, are two places that occurred.  Oh and they had to use home invasion robberies instead of burglaries since the jewelry and/or cash were in safes and the only way they could get them out was to threaten the home owners or their families.

My husband is in law enforcement and has told me some bad guys knock and wait to scope out your situation before deciding to act.

To the OP. I do not answer the door and it does give me the willies when someone unexpectedly knocks at my door. 

Door--knock--look thru window or peephole--answer door. I refuse to give in the the fear mongering idiots like Fox news, Beck, etc, that seem to thrive on scaring people into believing that someone's out to hurt you. It's disgusting and demeaning. It's tinged with racism and full of cr@p. The group ALEC is to blame for a lot of this fear mongering.

I fear stupid people** much more than any troublemaker knocking on my door, that's for sure.

**= the types listed above, not the poster.

As a person who has had an extended family member murdered by opening the door, I can tell you they never once watched Fox news, Glen Beck and I'm pretty certain they had no clue about what/who ALEC. I come from a family of Democrats who would not be caught dead watching those shows.

I do answer the door.  No reason not to- we don't have home robberies occurring here and even in Northern VA, they didn't occur with most people - that is they targeted certain groups that were well known to keep vast stores of expensive jewelry or cash at home- not something that most native born Americans do-since we tend to trust banks and tend to keep very little cash on hand and also while native born Americans have normal amounts of jewelry- we don't tend to keep our wealth in gold and jewels.  Those nationalities that did got home invasion robberies in every area that I have lived where they were in a large enough number for robbers to get interested- Northern VA, CA, are two places that occurred.  Oh and they had to use home invasion robberies instead of burglaries since the jewelry and/or cash were in safes and the only way they could get them out was to threaten the home owners or their families.

Not all robbers are out for jewels and gold. If that was the case, there would be no robberies in the ghettos and lower/middle class neighborhoods. Those types of robbers are looking for drugs. Legal drugs as in prescriptions, which is something most of us have in our homes. While the odds are low, no one is immune from break-ins, home invasions and robberies.