Menu

What special sweets & treats do you make for the holidays?

alisoncooks

November is here and -- if it goes as quickly as I feel October did -- December will soon be upon us!

I was just doing some pre-planning for the holidays.... and I want to know:

What are your special treats and sweets that you make for the holidays (Christmas or Thanksgiving or whatever):

homemade hot cocoa?

chocolate covered pretzels?

any homemade candies?

What sweet thing has become a tradition in your household?  Please share recipes if you can! :D :D

In our house:

Monkey Munch is our go-to holiday snack (chex mix, peanut butter, chocolate, powdered sugar).  

Chocolate dipped pretzels (giant pretzel rods, chocolate mold for the ends).

My kids (and I, honestly) love the butterscotch/peanut butter/chow mein noodles dish that some people call Haystacks, or Birds Nests.

It's just a packages of butterscotch chips, 1/3 or so cup of peanut butter, melted together.  Then dump in a bag of chow mein noodles.  

Scoop out in about a large tablespoon (not a measuring spoon....an actual spoon) worth mounds onto wax paper lined cookie sheet, and chill til hardened, which only takes about 5 minutes.  Yum.

Growing up, Mom made her own version of Chex mix and we always called it Monkey Food. I'm the youngest of 3 girls and I'm in my 50's so this has been a longstanding tradition at Christmas. Mom passed away last fall and nobody made the monkey food last year. I have mom's handwritten recipe and I'm having copies of it printed onto fabric for dishtowels and sending those along with some monkey food to all the families in our little clan. We're spread out all over the country but we all have that memory.  

Our holiday treats are a mix of family traditions and new things I find through the year that I decide to try out. My nana's recipes were lost :( so I had to use trial and error to find new ones that were similar. So far, I use Nanaimo Bars ( http://tinyurl.com/meelr3v ), Butter Tarts ( http://tinyurl.com/n3anep2 ), and Pet de Soeur ( http://tinyurl.com/6tnpn9y )every year. My nana used to spend months getting ready for the holidays, making fruit cakes, rum balls, shortbread, mince tarts, and lots of other things. She also had a bunch of French Canadian recipes that she only made at the holidays, like tourtiere and ragout boulette. I try to make those some years, but they never come out just right.

Last year's biggest new hit was Peppermint Mocha Brownies ( http://taracooks.com/?p=2315 ). They are crazy rich, but so good! My ds loved them so much that they were his choice for his special birthday treat too. I'm not sure yet what new recipes I'm going to try, so I'll be watching this thread with great interest. :)

I make baked French toast. I soak bakery bread (too busy usually to make my own) in a mixture of egg with just a little half n half plus vanilla, cinnamon, and sugar to taste. I layer the bread on a cookie sheet

that I line with parchment paper which I have sprayed with sunflower oil to prevent sticking and then

bake until golden at 350 degrees.

I also do a vanilla custard that I serve with devonshire cream (purchased from King Arthur baking catalog)

and topped with shaved 70% dark chocolate. I'll try to remember to look up the recipe and post it today.

Middle boy makes snowball cookies; eldest son does heathbar candy, peanut brittle, and makes candy

glass ornaments. (Light corn syrup base cooked to the right temp and then blown with one of the hollow

glass pipettes from our chemistry set.) He uses specialty icing to decorate them and we hang them around

the house. They are pretty fragile though so we can't put themin high traffic areas.

I make bacon-wrapped dates in a honey teriyaki sauce for Christmas Eve.  I brought them to a party once and everyone asks me to bring them again, so they have become an annual tradition.  We make a trail mix (mixed nuts, chocolate chips, raisins, dried cranberries) that we bag and give away as gifts.  We try to make roskis (the Slovenian version of kolacki).  I am hoping to learn how to make potica (another Slovenian food that my husband feels needs to be part of every Christmas.) 

My kids (and I, honestly) love the butterscotch/peanut butter/chow mein noodles dish that some people call Haystacks, or Birds Nests.

It's just a packages of butterscotch chips, 1/3 or so cup of peanut butter, melted together.  Then dump in a bag of chow mein noodles.  

Scoop out in about a large tablespoon (not a measuring spoon....an actual spoon) worth mounds onto wax paper lined cookie sheet, and chill til hardened, which only takes about 5 minutes.  Yum.

My mom did a variation on this when we were kids...1 package chocolate chips, 1 package butterscotch chips, 1 package salted peanuts and a package of chow mein noodles. We *loved, loved, loved* them.

Our holiday treats are a mix of family traditions and new things I find through the year that I decide to try out. My nana's recipes were lost :( so I had to use trial and error to find new ones that were similar. So far, I use Nanaimo Bars ( http://tinyurl.com/meelr3v ), Butter Tarts ( http://tinyurl.com/n3anep2 ), and Pet de Soeur ( http://tinyurl.com/6tnpn9y )every year. My nana used to spend months getting ready for the holidays, making fruit cakes, rum balls, shortbread, mince tarts, and lots of other things. She also had a bunch of French Canadian recipes that she only made at the holidays, like tourtiere and ragout boulette. I try to make those some years, but they never come out just right.

Last year's biggest new hit was Peppermint Mocha Brownies ( http://taracooks.com/?p=2315 ). They are crazy rich, but so good! My ds loved them so much that they were his choice for his special birthday treat too. I'm not sure yet what new recipes I'm going to try, so I'll be watching this thread with great interest. :)

Nanaimo Bars and Butter Tarts were a part of my growing up. Haven't made or seen them in ages! And I usually make a tourtiere during the holiday as well which my mom always did on Xmas Eve.

On a more current note, we make peppermint bark to give. I make gingerbread cookies which we decorate with boiled icing. I used to make lots more but my sweets orientation has gradually all but disappeared so I'm not thinking in that direction but more towards savory items...sausage rolls, cheese sticks etc.

For Thanksgiving, I always make a Kentucky Derby Pie (basically a pecan pie with chocolate chips in the filling) and we have Pumpkin Butterscotch Muffins and Apple Spice Muffins for breakfast that morning.

For Christmas, I always make a collection of cookies to give to the local librarians, the garbage collectors, and our postman. This includes McKay House Cookies, Peanut Butter Balls, and German Butter Cookies that we decorate. For our elders and deacons at church, I make an assorted muffin basket that has Chocolate Chunk Muffins, Pumpkin Butterscotch Muffins, Cran-Apple Muffins, and Blueberry Muffins. Other than that, we are always out of town for Christmas so I don't cook anything for Christmas itself.

I make an assortment of cookies and then package them up and give them to the neighbors. We are of Mennonite heritage, so we make peppernuts, which is a traditional cookie, though there are as many recipes and types of peppernuts as there are Mennonite grandmas. Mine are small, hard, crunchy and spicy and are yummy eaten by the handful with spiced tea. About the only thing that all the recipes have in common is that they are small (about 1/2 - 1 inch in diameter).

I make an assortment of cookies and then package them up and give them to the neighbors. We are of Mennonite heritage, so we make peppernuts, which is a traditional cookie, though there are as many recipes and types of peppernuts as there are Mennonite grandmas. Mine are small, hard, crunchy and spicy and are yummy eaten by the handful with spiced tea. About the only thing that all the recipes have in common is that they are small (about 1/2 - 1 inch in diameter).

Are peppernuts similar to the German pfeffernusse?

I always make a big pot of wassail the day we decorate the tree.

I do a lot of baking over Christmas, but my showstopper is raspberry-almond thumbprint shortbread cookies. And it's one of the few recipes that I refuse to share (that and my Thanksgiving stuffing recipe)!

I'll make this coffee cake for Christmas morning.

Oh, and a "tipsy" peppermint mocha cake for after Church on Christmas Eve!

Yes, I think. Although I saw a package of pfeffernusse in this grocery store and they were nothing like the peppernuts I know. The name "peppernuts" is a corruption of the word "pfeffernusse" I believe.

My grandma was German Mennonite and always made peppernuts. Peppernuts is just the English translation for pfeffernĂƒÂ¼sse. Pfeffer = pepper and nĂƒÂ¼sse = nuts. I need to look up some recipes for them!

I always make a big pot of wassail the day we decorate the tree.

I do a lot of baking over Christmas, but my showstopper is raspberry-almond thumbprint shortbread cookies. And it's one of the few recipes that I refuse to share (that and my Thanksgiving stuffing recipe)!

I'll make this coffee cake for Christmas morning.

Oh, and a "tipsy" peppermint mocha cake for after Church on Christmas Eve!

Would you share the raspberry thumbprint cookie recipe here? We don't know your family and won't tell them!

Would you share the raspberry thumbprint cookie recipe here? We don't know your family and won't tell them!

Answering myself here...I found a recipe to try.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Raspberry-and-Almond-Shortbread-Thumbprints/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Thumb&e11=raspberry%20almond%20shortbread%20thumbprint&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Recipe

Yay, thanks for all the ideas!

And if you have a special Christmas (or other holiday) morning breakfast, do tell!  

We make German pancakes for breakfast (basically eggs and flour  baked until fluffy in a cast iron pan) http://whatscookingamerica.net/Eggs/GermanPancake.htm

and I serve it with raspberry sauce instead of maple syrup.

I make two batches of my late grandmother's famous fudge to give as presents to library staff, teachers, etc. It is the only time I make it because it is soooooo bad for you, and sooooo impossible for me to resist. I'd be the size of a barn if I made it as frequently as Grandma S used to!

I bake brownies and cookies for DH's church volunteers. I make choc. chip cookies and brownies throughout the year for them. I'll probably do those plus an extra kind this year. His crew is awesome and I love to make sure they know we appreciate their hard work because they are behind the scenes, but invaluable. (During advent and lent they work even more than usual.)

We bake chocolate chip cookies for Christmas Eve. Rumor has it they are Santa's fav. (DH may or may not have started that self-serving rumor!)

My MIL comes in before Christmas and makes her peanut butter candy and chocolate covered pretzel candy with the kids to take to the Christmas Day celebrations.

That is a great recipe! We love that one. My 6-year old has been asking if we can make it for months already.

I don't have any real traditions, other than pies. I do love to make pie. I have been making from-scratch pies (I have never in my life used a pre-made pie pastry) since I was a kid. Even if it it's just us for Thanksgiving and/or Christmas, I make at least 2-3 different pies. We just eat the leftovers as breakfast. :)  I pretty much stick to traditional pies during the holidays--pumpkin, pecan, apple, etc. We usually make a few different kinds of cookies, too, but we don't have any specific ones that we make every year (though those thumbprint cookies are a favorite).

That actually is the recipe I use. Shhh...don't tell! :)

I use the same recipe. It's one of the few cookies that they insist I make each year.

Homemade cocoa is a regular fixture around here, not a holiday treat.

Spiced apple cider

We buy incredibly good eggnog from a local dairy

Christmas Eve, I make my grandmother's cinnamon buns and  put them in the fridge. Bake them Christmas morning and take one pan to the neighbors and we eat the other. My boys help by kneading the dough, which I appreciate a lot!!

I don't bake a lot of cookies, etc. That way, I don't eat them!

I need a good fudge recipe.

I think I'll do homemade for Christmas this year for teachers.   I'll include the butterscotch/peanut butter things I referenced in my first post, potato chip cookies (my favorite), and I want to add some fudge, but I don't have a tried and true recipe.

Anyone volunteer to share?

Here's one for you - it's amazing. My aunt made it every year for Christmas until she passed away last year. 

5 c. granulated sugar

1 large can evaporated milk (13oz)

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 lb. butter (2 sticks)

3 (6oz) packages of chocolate chips

2 tsp. vanilla extract

1 1/2 c. walnuts (these can be optional)

Bring first 4 ingredients to boil over medium high heat, stirring the entire time. Turn down heat and slow boil the mixture, stirring occasionally for 6 min. Remove from stove and add the chocolate chips and vanilla. WHen the pan has cooled a little, add walnuts (optional). Beat a short time and place in a buttered pan. If you have a marble or granite counter, the fudge will set better and will be easier to cut than in a pan (no need to butter the counter). Let set and cut into squares - small because it's very rich.

As for me - DS and I make gingerbread men every year. I love Alex Guarnaschelli's (food network) recipe. It has orange zest in it and tastes so good. DS is already asking when we can make them this year. I also make Susan's toffee bars - an oatmeal cookie kind of bar base, covered in melted chocolate and topped with chopped nuts and coconut. Sugar cookies (Alton Brown's are the best I've tried). I also make the yummy almond raspberry thumbprint cookies that are upthread.

Christmas morning I always make homemade cinnamon buns - Pioneer Woman. So good and decadent!

One I make every year are the Andes Mint cookies that I got from this board several years ago (old board). These go out to all of the staff that work with my disabled dd in school--about 10-12 people. I also like to make a sugar cookie that's not cut with cookie cutters but rolled in sugar instead (and it's good not rolled in sugar too). There are several desserts that are only made at the holidays, but I don't make them every year so they're not really traditional in that sense: cardamom cake, French cherry pie are two favorites. Here's the Andes Mint cookie recipe from my MacGourment recipe box:

Andes Mint Cookies

We make this cookie every Christmas.
  • 30 Andes Mints, halved
  • Ă‚Â¾Â cup butter
  • 1 Ă‚Â½Â cups brown sugar
  • 2 Tbsp water
  • 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 Ă‚Â½Â cups flour
  • 1 Ă‚Â¼Â tsp. baking soda

In saucepan, heat and mix margarine, sugar, and water. Add chocolate chips and stir until partially melted. Remove from heat and continue to stir until all chips are melted. Pour into bowl and let cool for 10 minutes. Beat in eggs at high speed. Add remaining ingredients and beat to blend. Chill dough for 1 hour. Line baking sheets with foil. Roll dough in 1" balls and bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes. Place an unwrapped half mint on each cookie as you remove them from the oven. As soon as the mints have softened, spread them over the cookies with a knife.

Our family standards are:

Peanut butter kisses...I use a no flour recipe so they taste so rich and peanut buttery!

The Perfect Sugar Cookie...that's what family and friends call them. I get compliments everywhere I take them.

Mexican Wedding Cakes...but I don't roll them in sugar. I dip them in glaze tinted red or green. So pretty and festive, plus much less messy and they stay fresher longer.

Dark Chocolate Pudding Pie...it's just pudding from a box. I used to make it from scratch until one year I was in a rush...and just used box pudding. DH liked it better and since he has dominion over Chocolate Pie, I've made it that way ever since!

Everything else varies. I have some Italian cookie recipes and different pies, quick breads, etc. that I do but I ALWAYS do the above.

eldest son does heathbar candy, peanut brittle, and makes candy

glass ornaments. (Light corn syrup base cooked to the right temp and then blown with one of the hollow

glass pipettes from our chemistry set.) He uses specialty icing to decorate them and we hang them around

the house. They are pretty fragile though so we can't put themin high traffic areas.

Just reading this makes my limbs go numb. I would be too terrified of burns.

Nanaimo Bars are one of my stand-bys. I'm going to have to do some tweaking this year because of the GF factor. I haven't  made them in two years now because I haven't had time to think about how to alter them to avoid both the gluten and soy (often in the chocolate bars I used to use). (Sniff)

And I get tasked for any cheesecake required by family members for Christmas dinner.

I always make fudge, frosted sugar cookies, Christmas cookies (Graham crackers, coconut, chocolate chips), and DH's favorite spritz cookies. The last few years I have made julekake which is a tradition on DH's maternal side of the family from his grandmother who passed away about 6 years ago.

Christmas morning we have cinnamon rolls with cream cheese frosting and hot cocoa. Some years we go to my parents house for brunch and mom always serves quiche. My brother always makes tons of candies like chocolate covered cherries, fudge, divinity, ect.

We have had to give up a few traditional foods due to allergies including anything with peanuts and almonds. I also use natural food dyes because of allergies.

Oreo balls are what I am famous for.  1 package oreos (crushed) and 1 package of softened cream cheese.  Combine in a mixer till mostly homogeneous.  Refrigerate for at least an hour, roll into balls (the smaller the better, they are rich), refrigerate again.  Dip in your favorite chocolate (almond bark works the best for me, but whatever kind works for you).  If I am using a specialty oreo or an oreo with a thicker filling then I can get by with 1/2 package of cream cheese.  Its pretty foul proof though.

Christmas morning is usually cinnamon rolls.  I use Clone of a Cinnabon on allrecipes.