Menu

How (obsessively) frugal are you?

Laura Corin

174 members have voted

1. 1. Do you...

• Throw away the conditioner?
    • Alternate using it/mix it with your normal conditioner?
    • Give it to someone else in the family to use?
    • Use it anyway?
    • Other

You buy a cheap hair conditioner and it turns out not to be very good: your hair tangles more easily and doesn't look as smooth as it normally does.  What do you do with the conditioner?

Assume that the cost of the bottle was about £1 (USD1.50) and that you have a moderate but not desperately tight budget.

L

I would probably finish using it up while planning how to purchase the conditioner I really want.  If I managed to replace the conditioner before it was used up then I would throw it in the closet as a back up.

If the conditioner was just plain useless and made my hair look gross I would get rid of it.

well. I can only use one type of conditioner as it is the only one that my DH isn't allergic to. He doesn't use conditioner, but I have hip length fine hair. I need conditioner. I also enjoy sleeping with Dh so I have to use the awful tangley hair conditioner. Over the years (before I hit apon the one DH wasn't allergic to) I tried just about every conditioner there was. I gave them all away to other people after one use.

I would donate it to a charity for someone to take, on the theory that something is better than nothing even if I didn't want to continue using it myself.

Charities have to waste a lot of time and money dumping others' trash that never should have been donated in the first place. Don't do this.

I had long hair for a long time.  I'd toss it.  If my hair tangles with it, so would my girls hair, so it would be pointless to pass it on.  If things were tight, I might write a letter to the manufacturer, complain and demand my money back.  or take it to the store so they know they're selling an inferior product.

I would give it to one of my dd's. When I went to the curly girl method, I had a ton of half used hair products that were off limits. I handed them all to my oldest dd. She didn't care that they were used. If she didn't want something, it went in the trash.

This is what I do. My older DD has her own hair routines and doesn't like to experiment, but my younger DD loves trying out beauty products.

I have a similar problem with some lotion that is watery.....I need to throw it away but can't bring myself to do that. Your post may inspire me to....I voted throw it away.

If you put it in a bowl, the water might evaporate, and then you could use it (don't listen to me - throw it away).

L

Toss. I ended up going through a few brands of shampoo this way until I discovered it was the SLS making me itch. And no one else in the family would use the new shampoo so I ended up just throwing nearly full bottles away. It was awful--felt like such a waste--but it seemed the only reasonable alternative.

I voted "give it to another family member", but in reality that would mean just leaving it in the shower, hoping someone else would use it when their regular conditioner runs out. If they announce that I need to buy them more conditioner, I would reply that there is some in the shower. If no one complains, hopefully that means it would be used. If after several months (6-9) the bottle is still there, then I'd throw it out.

I was an other vote.

I would put it in a cabinet to save for a time when I run out of the good conditioner and don't have the funds to replace it.  Then a year or two down the road I would see this old yucky conditioner and THEN decide to toss it.

Does it have a pleasing fragrance?  You can use hair conditioner in place of fabric softener.  http://www.moneysavingqueen.com/May-2012/Make-Your-Own-Fabric-Softener-with-Conditioner/

I am quite frugal, but I won't use something that doesn't work.  I have a tendency not to throw things out, but I'm getting over that.  Toss it and don't worry about it.

:iagree:

Throw it out without a second thought. If budget were tight, I'd try to make up the $1.50 by economizing elsewhere.

I would toss it. I am frugal, but we are talking about one pound. Would I agree to have bad hair days for two months if someone paid me one pound? No, it wouldn't be worth it.

Water it down more to use as a detangler for dd. other wise save it for desperate times or company :)

I do like this idea though. Save it for when the in-laws visit.  :D

Do you have freecycle in your area? In my area, people are always willing to take even partially used cleaning supplies and toiletries.

I have moved on to using baking soda (or dr. bronners soap) in my hair, with a vinegar rinse. I usually add some essential oil to the vinegar (and dilute with water) to take away the vinegar smell, but it is an amazing conditioner. It even takes away the plasticy feel from my hair after swimming!

Just wanted to say that I would not want to throw it out - but not because of the cost.  $1.50 wouldn't worry me a bit.  But I cringe when I think about it being trash, taking up space in a landfill & just going to waste.  I admit, though, that I have issues in this area.

Thanks to whoever mentioned using it as fabric softener!  I didn't know that, great idea!