Menu

How (obsessively) frugal are you?

Laura Corin

174 members have voted

1. 1. Do you...

• Throw away the conditioner?
    • Alternate using it/mix it with your normal conditioner?
    • Give it to someone else in the family to use?
    • Use it anyway?
    • Other

I'd use it anyway.  I have used conditioner for shaving, like some PPs have, but if I didn't shave I'd probably still use it on my head (maybe mixed with a better kind).  Or, as yet another PP suggested, save it for stay-at-home days & such.

If I got really creative, I'd think of a way to use it in some Halloween party fashion:  color it some nasty color, add some other otherwise useless substance and give a clever Halloween-related name.  Done!

Just wanted to say that I would not want to throw it out - but not because of the cost. $1.50 wouldn't worry me a bit. But I cringe when I think about it being trash, taking up space in a landfill & just going to waste. I admit, though, that I have issues in this area.

Thanks to whoever mentioned using it as fabric softener! I didn't know that, great idea!

I'm sure there are others just like me who use "throw it out" as a shorthand synonym for "recycle the container" when recycling is possible :)

I was an other vote.

I would put it in a cabinet to save for a time when I run out of the good conditioner and don't have the funds to replace it. Then a year or two down the road I would see this old yucky conditioner and THEN decide to toss it.

Does it have a pleasing fragrance? You can use hair conditioner in place of fabric softener. http://www.moneysavingqueen.com/May-2012/Make-Your-Own-Fabric-Softener-with-Conditioner/

I wonder if I could use that watery lotion as fabric softener? It does smell nice.

Thanks for the leg shaving advice guys, but I don't shave my legs.

I just checked at Aldi this evening.  I was wrong - the conditioner cost 65p, so about 90c.  Anyone changed their opinion?

L

Sorry, I didn't realize you were asking for advice - I thought it was more of a curiosity poll.

Even at 90c I'd want to find some way to use it.  (Assuming DH didn't throw it out while I wasn't looking!)

I wonder if I could use that watery lotion as fabric softener? It does smell nice.

I would be very hesitant to use a hair conditioner or a hand/body lotion as a fabric softener, because if the products contain oils or any kind of coloring agent, they could permanently stain and damage your laundry.

I wouldn't take a chance. I'm sure your laundry is worth a lot more than a bottle of lotion or cheap hair conditioner.

Thanks for the leg shaving advice guys, but I don't shave my legs.

I just checked at Aldi this evening.  I was wrong - the conditioner cost 65p, so about 90c.  Anyone changed their opinion?

L

I still say throw it out, but I say it like this now...

"65p? Sheesh, throw that out already!"

I am cheap and would likely use it myself or put it in the kid's bathroom.  But I don't need any particularly good conditioner.  If my hair was curly or otherwise in need of conditioner, I wouldn't hesitate to toss it.  

I realized this week that some would consider my reuse and reuse of parchment paper for baking to be pretty obsessively cheap and I thought everyone reused it...

I realized this week that some would consider my reuse and reuse of parchment paper for baking to be pretty obsessively cheap and I thought everyone reused it...

I was horrified when I found out parchment was meant to be one-use. I refuse to buy it anymore to avoid being so perturbed.

I was horrified when I found out parchment was meant to be one-use. I refuse to buy it anymore to avoid being so perturbed.

It seems to work fine on reuse.  I discard it when it gets too brown.  Now, I am liable to pull out a fresh bit for something special where I don't want to take any chances.  But baking up a few frozen cookies or blind baking a pie shell (under my beans)?  So not wasting something that I pay $12+ for a monster sized roll of.  

In most all instances I do not hesitate to bring something like that back to the store. If I am not satisfied I want my money back. And I am not even remotely frugal. I will also often call the company to let them know my thoughts as well. Now maybe it is a little different in this instance since it is such a cheap item, but anyway that's my usual process.