Menu

Favorite 5 kitchen items?

Tap

Lets pretend that you had a horrible kitchen accident and your whole kitchen went down the drain.(Some of you may have to really pretend hard that this is a horrible thing and not the answer to a prayer LOL ) What 5 (or so) things would you replace without hesitation and why? Are they favorites? Well honed tools? Perfect left hand can opener? Melon baller that you found only after buying 19 different versions to get the exact, perfect one that you now own? No limits, it can be the $1 plastic handle paring knife or the $5,000 stove...what ever makes your heart pitter patter.

Pure Komachi knives, especially the fuschia chef's knife and the orange bread knife: these are lightweight but sturdy. They rival the super expensive knives in quality and usefulness but are very inexpensive.

A cuisinart immersion blender: I love this for pureeing sauces and soups, making milkshakes and blizzards, and even salsa. It is great to take camping. Okay, the kind of camping where you have an outlet! :laugh:

Le Creuset (or other enameled cast iron) cookware. I have both Le Creuset and the much cheaper Lodge and love them both. I use my Le Creuset dutch oven for baking No Knead Bread. They are in use nearly every day.

Good quality spatulas and wooden spoons. I like to have at least three of each on hand. I am really pleased with these Le Creuset spatulas and Mario Batali wooden spoons my mom gave me for Christmas.

A smallish non-stick omelette pan for cooking eggs. I use mine daily. I'm not crazy about non-stick so I'm careful to not scratch it and I would toss it if it got scratched. Then I would replace it.

A bench scraper. I love this tool for cutting dough, scraping wet dough off the counter, cleaning up stuck on messes, and lifting chopped veg to the pot.

I would also replace my Kitchenaid Mixer and Cuisinart Food Processor.

My Wusthof Classic knife set. I suppose if I had to pick one, it would be the chef's knife.

This flexible stainless spatula. I really should go ahead and buy a second one.

http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Flexible-Spatula/dp/B00004OCL8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367749675&sr=8-1&keywords=oxo+metal+spatula

A cast iron frying pan. On top of frying pan duties, I bake bread in mine and flip it over and use the underside for baking pizza.

My Vitamix.

A bunch of canning jars in different sizes. I use them for everything. Storing dry goods, leftovers, freezing soup, drinking...

The most used items in our kitchen and what I'd replace are

1) An excellent set of knives. We have Zwilling. I'd go with the chef's knife first and then a pairing knife. There's nothing worse than trying to work with blunt knives.

2) Thick based saute pan. This is the item that gets used most in our kitchen.

3) Cast iron dish - I have only one Le Creuset Dutch oven that gets used casseroles, roasting, bread, etc.

4) Microwave rice steamer - Cooks rice without me having to worry about it burning on the stove.

5) A hand blender - now that its winter and we're making lots of soup this gets used daily.

ETA: A cheep item that we use a lot as well is a microwave egg poacher.

If I had an unlimited budget I'd love

a bean-to-cup coffee machine

a thermomix!

William Sonoma narrow measuring spoons

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/narrow-measuring-spoons/?pkey=cmeasuring-cups-spoons&

Set of vintage Revereware pots and pans, including 8 quart. I always coveted having Calphalon someday and when I finally found a good set at a price I could afford, I wound up hating them and went back to the old stainless.

Zac Happy Spoons - I originally bought one of these because it was whimsical, but it's become my go-to spoon for cooking. I like the long handle, the size and shape of the bowl, and it's sturdy enough to hold up when handmixing cookie dough. I have several in bright colors and appreciate that it brings a little sense of fun into my kitchen.

http://www.amazon.com/Orange-Happy-Spoon-Zak-Designs/dp/B001GBFRKA/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367756285&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=zac+happy+spoon

USA cookie sheet--I just got one of these as a gift and it's the first non-stick bakeware that I've had that truly is non-stick. Cookies slide right off this sheet.

http://www.amazon.com/USA-Pans-Aluminized-Cookie-Americoat/dp/B00282JLDK/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1367756597&sr=1-1&keywords=usa+cookie+sheet

Calphalon Commercial Non-stick brownie pan--

http://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-Commercial-Nonstick-Bakeware-13-Inch/dp/B0002808AM

Microplane zester

Set of 3 bar sized, dishwasher safe cutting boards.

http://www.amazon.com/Architec-Gripper-Barboard-7-Inch-Yellow/dp/B000I1UOWA

Cuisinart cutting board--this picture doesn't show it well, but the edges are curved to keep liquids from running off

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-BA-1113-PrepBoard-Protector-Rectangular/dp/B0001LO5EA/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1367757429&sr=1-1&keywords=cuisinart+cutting+board

Not pretending :)

When we moved from TX to BR I packed very few kitchen items, only those things that I absolutely could not bear to be without if we couldn't find a suitable replacement once we arrived.

My items were:

-6 qt crock pot

-well seasoned/much loved/used Pampered Chef round pizza stone (the large one)

-Pampered Chef can opener

-Pampered Chef ice cream scoop

That's all.

What I have missed since then, and will buy asap when we are next in the US, is the Pampered Chef garlic press. Had one, gave it away because I never used fresh garlic. Got here, jars of garlic are too $$$ so I use fresh.

If I were leaving here tomorrow, I'd take my pizza stone, the PC can opener, PC ice cream scoop, probably still the crock pot, and my coffee maker. Love my coffee maker. It has a hot water reservoir separate from the coffee maker part, which I love for making hot tea in the afternoons/evenings.

The rest is replaceable, any brand will do type stuff.

Silpats - I love these for baking, nothing sticks to them

Keurig - I like fresh coffee, one cup at a time

Kitchen aid stand mixer -

Electric griddle - I use it at least 5 times a week

veggie peeler that my brother bought me for Christmas - after 20 years in the kitchen it is the best peeler I've ever had

#1 - Ninja Master Prep Blender - use it every day for smoothies

#2 - Pampered Chef garlic press

#3 - Pampered Chef oven mitts - These are actually so good that my dh caught one on fire on our gas stove and didn't feel it. He figured out that it was smoldering by the smell.

#4 - Swingline manual can opener

#5 - Rival crock pot

I'm going to answer without reading replies first. 1. Metal, flat bottomed, wooden handled spoon...great for stirring puddings or soups. 2. Cast iron skillet. I have a 10 inch that gets used every day and a smaller 6 inch that gets used a lot. 3. My purple enameled cast iron pot and lid. Perfect size for us and it's purple. I would also replace the much larger red one I have, too. 4. Good, heavy bottomed stainless pots. 5. Good knives for chopping, boning, and slicing. 6. My stand mixer and bowls. We use it a lot. Off to read every one else's replies now. (Can anyone tell me why I can't insert a paragraph break in my replies? PM me if you know how I can fix this.) MetM

Lodge cast iron cookware

Calphalon pots and pans

Good set of knives

poultry shears

Kitchen Aid stand mixer

I also must have parchment paper at all times. I go nuts when I run out of parchment paper!

It was really hard to narrow it down to 5 favorites! I also use the immersion blender all the time, as well as the hand mixer. The bread machine gets quite a bit of use, as well as our various pieces of bake ware. I estimate about 30 different things that I would have a really hard time doing without in my kitchen. :001_smile:

This is really tough because it depends a lot on what you like to do. There are also solid basics that are necessities outside of your favorites.

Solid basics for me:

good 6-8" chefs knife and paring knife

10-12" cast iron skillet

3-4 qt calphalon pot

pasta dishes (wide but shallow dishes)

a jelly roll pan and a flat sided baking sheet

Favorites (I'm a baker):

stand mixer

silicon mats, I prefer cheap brands that go up to 500F/Silpat doesn't and mine unraveled from the high temps (crispy homemade pizza or quick cookie clean up)

oven stone

instant read thermometer

adjustable measuring spoon

1. cast iron skillet

2. microplane grater

3. big, plastic bucket with markings for making bread dough kitchen scale with taring function

4. sharp, hefty chef's knife

5. little ceramic bowls for my mise

Sentimental pick: 99 cent paring knife I bought at Wegmans 25 years ago; it's cheap and ugly, but its wobbly blade actually fits places other knives won't. Plus it reminds me of making awful slice-and-bake cookies in my dorm room microwave. Love that thing.

ETA: upon further reflection, I've decided I can't cook without a scale for measuring flour, portioning meat, and all manner of tasks. I hate to give up my bucket, but the scale is more important. Sorry, Bucket.

first priority

- vitamix

- borner v-slicer - best mandolin ever

- pressure cooker - 6qt

- cast iron skillet

- large mortar and pestle

second priority

- silicone spoon/spatula and wood spatulas

- kitchen aid stand mixer, the large one

- Perfect Beaker liquid measuring cup

- william sonoma measuring cups and spoons, an older set

- thermopen - instant thermometer

- weston vacuum sealer

- pressure canner/water bath canner

- excaliur dehydrator

I am going to do this as if I had to replace things and only the things I know I would replace exactly without doing research.

Knife set - we have Henckels and just gave our son his first one- the 8 inch chef's knife. He loves to cook and lives alone. OUr chef's knife is about 27 years old and still going well.

Kitchenaid Mixer- I don't even have to guess I would want to replace this.

Little cookie scooper- maybe made by Pampered Chef- Anyway, it is small and exactly the size I like to make cookies.

An enameled braising pot I got this Christmas

My vegetable peeler- it is one for arthritics and one of the few things I have upgraded to help my arthritis and it does help

I didn't say pots because I don't like most of my pots or skillets. My cast iron frying pans (I have three sizes) are great but heavy and not so good for my arthritis. The non stick is awful and I want to replace.

1. Crock pot
  2. Pasta pot, medium pot, frying pan (lids for each)
  3. Plastic stuck food scraper
  4. Coffee maker (I have a Keurig now, sent for a graduation gift a year ago)
  5. Set of cooking spoons, spatulas, pasta stirrer
  6. (yea, I know) a casserole dish

I always coveted having Calphalon someday and when I finally found a good set at a price I could afford, I wound up hating them and went back to the old stainless.

I found a whole display of new set of Calphalon pots and pans for $15 about 10 years ago. Someone had mismarked them--they should have been $150. I argued with the manager to give me the price marked on the box (he gave in, but only for one set). I took them home, tried them, and returned them. Even for the steep discount, I didn't like them, either.

1. Good knives

2. Kitchen aid mixer

3. Food processor

4. Pampered chef spatulas

5. Pressure cooker regular stove top (I can use the pot as a regular pot when not cooking under pressure)

I am assuming middle of the line oven/stove and refrigerator would be a given.

Oh my goodness! I have a slight obsession with kitchen gadgets :-) But if I had to pick five...

1. My Cutco. Best knives ever, also their scissors and veg peeler.

2. My Le Creuset Dutch ovens. They have sentimental value plus they are used constantly.

3. Kitchen aid stand mixer

4. Cuisenart food processor

5. Plain half-sheet and quart-sheet pans. Handy for everything.

Man that is hard! We recently moved from AK to TX and I'm pretty sure over half the trailer was my kitchen stuff lol!

When I go on vaca I take

1) Good quality chef's knife (and nothing-special cutting board)

2) Big non-stick Calphalon "everyday pan" - a large frying pan with high sides, perfect for skillet meals

3) My zjourshi (sp?) rice cooker with steamer basket

4) Really nice deep ceramic bowls perfect for things cooked in 2 or 3.

I also like my Cuisinart stick blender, my mini food processor, my Colori (sp?) paring knife, my microplane extra-coarse grater.

Please tell me more about this!!

I got the idea for making my own salad bar after my millionth time joking that if I ever won the lottery, I would have someone maintain a salad bar in my home. That's never going to happen... Anyway, I pretty much went paleo and realized that the biggest challenge was making sure everything was at the ready. I measured a shelf in the refrigerator, then started searching for the perfect tray (found mine at Target, a simple white plastic tray). After I found a tray that fit perfectly, I took it to The Container Store and practically killed the kids while I took forever and a day to figure out the proper mix of sizes that would stack evenly. :tongue_smilie: I bought a bunch of different sizes of their TellFresh containers (5 900ML short rectangles, 2 1.88L tall rectangles, 1 1.75L tall square, 3 500ML short squares, and 4 500ML rectangles). Stacked up perfectly, those are all about the same height. I also got a giant TellFresh tub for my lettuce, but I have to keep that on another shelf. I keep them full of different things at different times and can pull out the salad bar tray any time and make a salad. The kids are eating more salad this way too.

http://www.containerstore.com/shop?showDS=true&Ns=default&Ntt=Tellfresh&submit=GO

If I had to start again and had nothing, these would be the first things I would find. Everything else is a luxury.

1. A gas oven and stove that work, i.e., the oven door shuts and all the burners go on.
  2. Large cast iron skillet. It works on the stove and in the oven.
  3. Knife
  4. Spatula with slots.
  5. Med. size pot

Most of mine have already been listed. But I do have one to add.

It's a Kitchenaid Mini Food Chopper. They come in 3 and 3.5 cup size. It has just one pulse button. No fuss. Easy to use.

My family loves onions and garlic but only if cooked soft and small. This will quickly pulverize it to tiny pieces. I just scoop out and sautee, which is done quickly due to the small size. I also will chop carrots (and other veggies) to add to dishes for my non-veggie eater. This is used almost daily.

I do have a regular food processor, but I don't want to drag it out just to chop a few carrots, an onion, or a few cloves of garlic. It'll do most nuts, tomato, celery, etc. If mine dies, I'll buy another the next day (I have used it daily for years so I don't expect it to die any time soon).

I got the idea for making my own salad bar after my millionth time joking that if I ever won the lottery, I would have someone maintain a salad bar in my home. That's never going to happen... Anyway, I pretty much went paleo and realized that the biggest challenge was making sure everything was at the ready. I measured a shelf in the refrigerator, then started searching for the perfect tray (found mine at Target, a simple white plastic tray). After I found a tray that fit perfectly, I took it to The Container Store and practically killed the kids while I took forever and a day to figure out the proper mix of sizes that would stack evenly. :tongue_smilie: I bought a bunch of different sizes of their TellFresh containers (5 900ML short rectangles, 2 1.88L tall rectangles, 1 1.75L tall square, 3 500ML short squares, and 4 500ML rectangles). Stacked up perfectly, those are all about the same height. I also got a giant TellFresh tub for my lettuce, but I have to keep that on another shelf. I keep them full of different things at different times and can pull out the salad bar tray any time and make a salad. The kids are eating more salad this way too.

http://www.container...fresh&submit=GO

Kristina,

You always have the best ideas!;)

Canning jar plastic storage lids

14" nonstick skillet (I'd go with cast iron, but I've never had one that could be used to cook eggs decently)

Kitchen scissors

Harsch 10 liter fermenting crock

Wall-mounted broom/mop holder http://www.amazon.com/Wall-Mounted-Tool-Rack-Broom-Holder/dp/B0001ZL6J8

My banana holder/fruit basket http://www.amazon.com/Taymor-Nickel-Basket-Banana-Holder/dp/B005DTYQ6C/ref=sr_1_9?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1367936460&sr=1-9&keywords=banana+hook+fruit+basket