Menu

DD has an 11cm x 12 cm vascularized tumor on her ovary. My head is swimming. Help

FaithManor

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Faith, like everyone else here, know that I will be praying for each person in your family, including that sweet soon to be Son in Law. Mostly though, I'm praying for you. May God surround you with the certainty of his goodness in the midst of all the chaos, and like the previous poster said, may His healing flow down upon every need in your family.

I'll also be praying that the entire family will dance with deepest joy at the wedding, having come out on the other side in triumph!

Hugs, hugs, and more hugs.

I know nothing about this, but if the operation isn't being done lapriscopically, perhaps one could compare it to a C-section, as far as recovery time?

Perhaps they are hurrying things up because they know she is getting married? One can always hope that is the case, anyway. Or perhaps it is one of those situations where something bad could develop at any time so they are hurrying to get in and fix things quickly, but that so far, things are as they have been presented to you?

Keeping you in my thoughts,

Nan

My prayers are with you.

My dd had a complex cyst last year, found by accident on a scan for another issue. It was scary. I had a friend that had one of the teeth and hair cysts. They are vascularized and can get very, very large and show up on an U/S as complex, i.e. not a clear, fluid filled cyst. I'm hoping that's what you're dd is dealing with and it is handled very easily.

Hoping another anecdote of successful surgery and recovery can help you...

When I was 25 I had two enormous cysts on my ovary and tube (size of grapefruit for one and pear for the other). They wrapped around each other and basically suffocated the tube and ovary so both had to be removed. The cysts had also stuck to my bowels, so the surgeons had to scrape the goop off my intestines. Pretty gross. While they had planned laproscopic surgery, they ended up having to do a full incision (belly button to pubic area). First few days of recovery were very rough but within two weeks, I felt pretty good, and after a month I was feeling completely back to normal.

Best of all, I had absolutely NO PROBLEM getting pregnant.

Wishing your DD a successful surgery and easy recovery.

Faith, I find it rather odd that the doctor would make a diagnosis before seeing the pathology. In a young woman, it is really not that likely that it is cancer - not impossible but unlikely.

There are also other cysts (like the chocolate cyst) that can grow rather large but are completely benign aside from the teratoma (tumor with tissue like teeth and hair).

Is this the daughter who is medically connected through her job? Does she know other surgeons? Can she get a second opinion on the laparoscopy option?

I have an aunt who had the same type of surgery for a teratoma attached to an ovary, full of teeth and hair, somewhere around 20-25 years ago. They removed the ovary along with the teratoma. I don't remember exact details of her recovery from surgery, but she did go on to have two kids after that.

did they do blood tests for tumor markers?

is there fluid in her abdominal cavity?

if the tumor markers are normal, and there is no fluid in her cavity, then the odds of a good outcome are Very Good.

if either of those are not true, then i'd be asking for a consult with an ob/gyn oncologist.... how the surgery is done matters with ovarian cancer, and you want someone who does them all the time to be doing it.

things i have learned in the past three months that i wish i had never needed to know.... but with a good outcome :). will pray.

many places have women who are living with ovarian cancer who can provide emotional support and learned wisdom with newbies.... i'd ask if they have anything like that set up.

prayers,

ann

Lots of prayers for your daughter, you, and your family.

I know it's really, really hard, but try to not worry too much until you have more information. I've been through this myself (not with my daughter, I'm the one who had cancer). I had a tumor in my tongue when I was 18. They thought ti was a really agressive form of cancer from the initial needle biopsy. But the complete biopsy after surgery showed it was a much more benign form. I didn't even need radiation, the surgery was enough. So you never know and letting your mind go to all the "what ifs" really isn't healthy (though I know it's hard).

As for long-term prognosis and how her recovery will be, well that's just going to hard to really know until after the surgery. If it is just the one tumor, and it's not aggressive, she will most likely mend quickly. If it's spread and they have to take more or if she will require chemo or further treatment, June 1st might be unrealistic. But again, something you're not going to know until after the surgery.

I will keep you all, but especially your daughter, in my prayers.

The tooth and hair kind are virtually always benign. Sometimes they are called dermoid tumors.

I had one on each side, very large, caught by accident, full incision surgery, when I was 32. I am much older now. No recurrance, and I did give birth subsequently, although scar tissue necessitated bypassing the tubes with IVF. Seriously, mine were big--peach size and grapefruit size. Still not serious.

They wanted to do the surgery right away, not because they thought it was cancer but because they were worried about torsion (I think that's the term--where the ovary or tube or something twists and becomes a horribly painful emergency) or some kind of rupture, again spreading gunk everywhere inside and necessitating emergency surgery with a high likelihood of medically serious adhesions. (You always get some adhesions after internal surgery, but they are less random when the site is more or less contained, is what they told me afterwards.)

Try not to worry. These doctors have no idea how to talk to people. She is almost certainly fine. Seriously. I am not just saying that. And I will pray also.

Wow this is awful.

I don't understand how this all happened so quickly!? On Wed. you said your DD was at the hospital keep watch with you for your dad, talking to the doctors and making plans to spend extra time with your dad.

How did everything go so badly by the next day?

Your DD must be terrified. A wedding would be the last thing on my mind. Maybe she can do a JP if she is too sick for a big production.

Wow so sorry you are going through all this FaithManor. Praying for you, your dd and your dad and praying for good counsel from the physicians and with the surgery. Hope your dad and dd recover quickly. Also please try and take care of your self during this time.

Wow so sorry you are going through all this FaithManor. Praying for you, your dd and your dad and praying for good counsel from the physicians and with the surgery. Hope your dad and dd recover quickly. Also please try and take care of your self during this time.

Wow this is awful.

I don't understand how this all happened so quickly!? On Wed. you said your DD was at the hospital keep watch with you for your dad, talking to the doctors and making plans to spend extra time with your dad.

How did everything go so badly by the next day?

Your DD must be terrified. A wedding would be the last thing on my mind. Maybe she can do a JP if she is too sick for a big production.

It started after our visit with dad. She had been to the gyno for a visit. She has recently had her periods get painful and irregular. She had the visit a few days ago and they said they needed to do a routine ultrasound. I hadn't really posted about that part. Honestly, I thought that since estrogen dominance is common on the females on my side of the family and generally rights itself after a year or two on the pill or having a pregnancy, that the doc would be prescribing the pill. Apparently, the ultrasound tech was rather frightened by what she saw on the ultrasound and called dd's doc personally. From there it went down rather quickly which is what has me rather flipped out since the medical wheels moved so slowly on my dad's behalf.

We are considering postponing the wedding or having a civil ceremony and then a reception later in the summer. A lot depends on the outcome of the MRI and then how fast they schedule the surgery. The ultrasound was just before noon on Thursday and she was called by her doctor while we were in the waiting room of the hospital. Because of dad's atrial fib, we were back on restricted visits for a time.

There just hasn't been time to process. It has happened so fast that it's practically surreal. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around it. She is swallowing her feelings. Sometimes we can tell she's been crying, but she refuses to talk about it, and I know part of the reason she's holding it in is because she has to stay focused. She had to work last night and tonight. Both shifts are city shifts so they tend to be very busy.

My posts have been sporadic and probably incoherent at times. I don't feel like my brain is functioning properly.

Thank you everyone for your kind words and support!

Faith

(((Faith)))

There's nothing more frightening than potentially serious health problems with a child, no matter how old she is. You have a lot on your plate. I'm hoping you are able to drop everything but what is truly necessary so you can focus on your family.

Blessings,

Elise in NC

Praying here. My niece had a similar cyst years ago (she is 38 now) when she was around your daughters age. I don't remember as much as I should considering I was the one who did the doctor's appointments with her. The incision was around 4 inches with recovery taking roughly 2 weeks to up and about easily. She did drop all of her college classes and ended up taking the semester off. This situation started the second week of class and she felt she was missing too much. But she is absolutely fine now. No kids by choice not because of medical issues. Just newly married actually.

Faith, like everyone else here, know that I will be praying for each person in your family, including that sweet soon to be Son in Law. Mostly though, I'm praying for you. May God surround you with the certainty of his goodness in the midst of all the chaos, and like the previous poster said, may His healing flow down upon every need in your family.

I'll also be praying that the entire family will dance with deepest joy at the wedding, having come out on the other side in triumph!

< hugs> and say thing this prayer as well.

Faithe

My experience is that medical systems aren't particularly concerned about how people feel over a weekend, so I wouldn't attribute the doc's positive attitude to trying to protect you! Most likely it comes from believing that there is a very high probability that all will be well.

I had dermoid cyst, sort of how you describe these. I'm sorry I can't imagine how stressful it all is. I did loose both ovaries. Dh and I went on to adopt our 2 boys. Life is good.

What I would say to ask is will the dr do all they can to salvage some of the ovary if possible.

The other is if she looses the ovaries would they leave the uterus if there is no issue with it. I still have my uterus so I could have done some kind of IVF type thing with a donor egg. We choose not to do it though.

I'm glad I had that option though.