Menu

Do you have an engagement ring? Do you wear it?

Guest inoubliable

Guest inoubliable

Sort of a spin-off from my post this morning re: confessions. The fact that I don't usually wear my engagement ring was mentioned in this email to me this morning. At first, I put it all in the same pile as the other nonsense, but now I'm really thinking about it. Pretty much everyone that I know DOES wear their engagement ring.

How about you?

I have a nice 1 ct. diamond solitaire that I just don't wear. I do wear my wedding band. When DH and I are going out somewhere or going out of town, I put the diamond on. Usually, though, it's sitting in my jewelry box. After a few years of wearing it, I just found that it seemed to get in the way. Constantly taking it off to wash hands or dishes, to cook, to fold laundry (so it didn't catch on clothing or linens)... Blech. It just got in my way.

So now I'm wondering if that's completely strange of me.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I told dh I didn't want an engagement ring, because I only wanted to wear a wedding ring. That whole two rings thing just seems strange to me. But I'm sure I'm in the minority here. People thought I was strange to not wear an engagement ring at the time.

I have not worn my ring in years. At first it was due to pregnancy swelling or always washing my hands and getting tired of taking it off/almost losing it. Now I just don't even think about wearing it. Dh has never said anything. I actually want to sell my set as it seems silly to have rings sitting in my jewelry box doing absolutely nothing. Maybe I'll give them one of my dc for when they get married if they like them...

No, I don't have one. When dh and I were married, dh was still in college and I had just graduated. We had moved up our marriage so that my mother, who was dying from ALS, could be part of the ceremony. Anyway, my dh only made enough money at that time to pay for living expenses like rent and food, not anything like an engagement ring. We did get wedding bands because in 1985, they were cheap enough. I was also working by the time we got married.

Guest inoubliable

Hmmm....well DH and I only got the ring because we felt like we were "supposed to". KWIM? I had been engaged before and both sides of our family were sort of pressing DH to "measure up" with a certain size diamond. My mom expected that I get one, and his mom felt like nothing less could be expected of her golden child *because* she'd never had one from either of her husbands. The ring was never a big part of our engagement and, honestly, I would have been just as happy with nothing or with something completely different.

DH doesn't mind that I don't wear it now. He thinks it's sweet and cute when I *do* wear it randomly. I'm so much more comfortable with just my wedding band on, though.

I've got an even weirder perspective. In the summer, I'm hot and wearing 3 wedding rings (engage+2 on either side) makes me feel "sweaty". Now that it's winter, and I'm cold, I wear all 3 nearly all the time! My finger just seems cold and the rings slide around more in the winter. :)

Maybe if the OP's ring was not such a ROCK (1 carat!), she would wear it more often. Tell THAT to the noisy friend--your diamond is just so large and valuable, you choose not to wear it when rinsing out poopy diapers in the toilet. :)

My wedding band and engagement ring are soldered together. I wear them 24/7 except when they are in for repair---which has been twice lately.

My engagement ring is a small diamond with 2 tiny diamonds on the side---nothing huge. It was dh's grandmother's ring.

My wedding band was my great grandmother's that she got during the depression. It has 3 micro mini diamond chips in it---that was all they could afford.

I lost my orginal set last summer (they were soldered together) because I was constantly taking them off for various things. I went without anything for a while, then DH and I started talking about getting new ones. I had done a lot of thinking and researching and decided I didn't want a new engagement ring. I took some time and found a new band that is exactly what I want - classy, elegant, channel set diamonds so nothing catches.

DH bought what he could afford all those years ago. My set was mine, and meaningful, but not really worth anything. He also got a new band when I got my new one and it suits him perfectly. I like having something classy, pretty, and vintage looking. :)

I had a Tiffany engagement ring that I lost while we were moving this past spring. Unfortunately I never insured it, so it's just gone. We keep hoping that it will magically turn up one day. Soon after that, I stopped wearing my wedding band. Both rings were too big for my finger and would slide off if I held my hand upside down.

Apparently I'm too lazy to get them resized. Or just buy a ring guard.

My husband and I chose a low profile ring specifically so it would be easy to wear and not get caught on everything or scratch anyone. Of course we picked it out and bought it when we had been married 7 years. My original was a tiny solitaire that really stuck up. It was more difficult to wear. Now my ring is over 2 carats total but NEVER gets in the way. Maturity and experience made picking it our much easier. :)

Sort of a spin-off from my post this morning re: confessions. The fact that I don't usually wear my engagement ring was mentioned in this email to me this morning. At first, I put it all in the same pile as the other nonsense, but now I'm really thinking about it. Pretty much everyone that I know DOES wear their engagement ring.

How about you?

I have a nice 1 ct. diamond solitaire that I just don't wear. I do wear my wedding band. When DH and I are going out somewhere or going out of town, I put the diamond on. Usually, though, it's sitting in my jewelry box. After a few years of wearing it, I just found that it seemed to get in the way. Constantly taking it off to wash hands or dishes, to cook, to fold laundry (so it didn't catch on clothing or linens)... Blech. It just got in my way.

So now I'm wondering if that's completely strange of me.

I don't wear mine for the same reason and haven't since we got married.

I wear mine if I'm going anywhere, or if people are coming over. It's just part of what getting dressed for me. But mine is not particularly large, so it doesn't snag on things. I don't wear it to sleep.

I forgot to put it on last week when we went to church, and once I noticed I didn't have it on, I really felt like something was missing, like I hadn't combed my hair or something. :)

Guest inoubliable

It never crossed my mind to not wear my engagement ring with my wedding ring. It's a set and an heirloom with special significance given to us by dh mother before she passed away. Here's the storybehind it which I posted on my blog a few years ago.

That is a truly lovely story!

Hubby chose a solitaire engagement ring for me and I wore that until our wedding. Than I just wore my wedding ring. No one I know wears their engagement ring after their wedding. One reason is safety as I grew up just outside inner city. It is safe to walk home late at night as long as you are not wearing flashy jewelry. I would have to turn the ring inwards so that the diamond does not reflect the street lights and draw attention to my ring.

I lost my wedding band since my fingers shrunk when we relocated from Asia to here. My wedding band was a size 5 and loose here, it would be hard to find a off the shelf replacement for size 4.

My wedding band and engagement ring are soldered together. It's actually a total of three bands that fit together with a diamond on the middle one.

I have to take it off whenever my hand gets wet because it's wide enough that water stays trapped underneath it and then I get a rash. It's also somewhat tight so gets uncomfortable sometimes. So, I tend to not wear it at home much at all and I TRY to remember to put it on when I leave the house but unless I'm going somewhere special where I'm also putting on other jewelry or I'm dressed nice, I tend to forget. I keep it in my jewelry box since I don't want to lose it (or the kids to play with it) so that makes it even harder to remember. My jewelry box sits in my bedroom while my clothes are in dd's bedroom, so it's hard to make it part of getting dressed.

I always wear mine. The stone is re-set from dh's grandmother's engagement ring. It sticks up a lot, but I always wore a ring with stone on that finger (used to be birthstone) and I'd feel weird without something there. I don't ever take it off, except maybe when kneading dough, which isn't that often, and when I was pg, but that's not going to happen again. :tongue_smilie:

If I had mine still, I would wear it. Unfortunately, due to hard times and youth, we had sold our rings in our early twenties. I have two new wedding rings though, much less expensive, but it's what I have (no diamonds, just sterling...one for each hand...west on the left and east on the right).

I have to take mine off sometimes because I get a rash under it, but it makes me sad to do so! I have a fairly small stone in my engagement ring, but it reminds me of who we were when it was purchased, and that makes it all the more special to me. If I could wear it every day without any trouble, I would!

My original ring had a stone that came out. Rather than replacing it, I wear a ring I inherited from my grandmother. I wear it with my wedding band. I do not wear them to sleep in as I nailed dh with them once, cutting his face. They go on when I get ready in the morning, and come off when I go to bed. At first, I had to get used to my grandmother's ring but it no longer gets in the way. I do not take them off to clean or cook. I clean the rings about once a month to keep them nice.

I absolutely love my engagement ring, but I don't wear it very often. When I worked in an office I wore it every day, but my life right now just isn't very conducive do wearing nice jewelry. If I'm going out on a date night or something, I usually put it on, but sometimes I will wear a different ring on that finger instead. I try to remember to at least put on a band when I run out to the store or the park, but I admit I forget fairly regularly. The band I reach for to put on most of the time isn't even my "real" wedding band. The only time I wear the real wedding band is if I'm wearing my engagement ring. I really like jewelry, but I guess I'm not very sentimental about it for the most part.

When we got engaged, I told DH that I was not a big jewelery person and did not want a real diamond. I pointed out a fake diamond ring I thought would be okay and that was cheap. He accidentally bought one that looked exactly like the one I pointed out but was way bigger. It looks real and people were constantly pointing it out and asking us how we could afford it as grad students, was it an heirloom, etc. It really got embarassing for both of us (he was embarassed that it wasn't real, I was embarassed by all the attention) so I just stopped wearing it. Neither of us cares. I always wear my wedding band, as does he.

My engagement ring is soldered together with my wedding band. I wear them everyday.

Same here. We had them soldered together so that the engagement ring wouldn't roll around all the time. When dh gave me an anniversary band for our 15th a few years ago, I had them solder that with the other two, so it's all one ring.

I wear them daily -- though I usually take them off at home b/c I'm constantly washing my hands, etc. When I'm out of the house, though, I always have them on.

I wear my engagement ring every day, too. But mine's not that big that it gets in the way :001_smile:

Yes, this. Mine is not huge, but it's perfect for me and my very tiny hands. Except for a short period of time during my first pregnancy when the rings got a little tight, necessitating removal, I wear both rings every day.

DH, otoh, does not. First it was because it wasn't safe when he was working around machinery a lot, and now, it's because it's too tight. It's a super wide band and too expensive to have sized up right now. :(

I am a physician and I do procedures (requiring sterile dress) a lot, and wash my hands about a thousands times it seems, so if I wear my engagement ring and wedding band I spend time taking them off and putting them back on. I usually don't wear either at work for this reason. I do wear them socially and just for day to day life outside of the Emergency Department.

I really wasn't much of a jewelry person when I was younger but much of what I have now is either a special gift with real meaning from my dad, husband, etc or some kind of a family heirloom from my or DH's family. My MIL is very much a jewelry person and her son definitely learned how to pick and design well from her.

My engagement and wedding rings were a set that we got soldered together when we got married; I wear it everyday. Dh insists on a "ritual" that we have to be kissing when he slides my ring off so I can clean it, then we have to be kissing when it gets put back on. It doesn't get cleaned very often, so it's not sparkly anymore, but I'd feel naked without it.

But your friend shouldn't be telling you what you should do with yours. If you and your husband are happy with what you do, that is what matters.

I wear my wedding and engagement rings together everyday. The engagement ring slides snugly inside the double wedding band, so they aren't soldered together and I could wear the engagement ring separately, but I don't. The wedding ring must have the other ring inside it or it would look silly with an empty slot in the middle.

I remember when we were shopping for the rings that I didn't want anything that would get in the way or be too expensive or flashy. I found a set that was perfect and a decent price, but when we found out that they would have to be a special order, our jaws dropped because the price was going to increase so much. They said my ring size was so small that any set I chose would run into that problem. We still bought them and I still love wearing them every day.

My engagement and diamond ring are one in the same. I only have one, so I only wear one! It's a unique, vintage style, filagreed setting and it wouldn't work with a band. It is 1 ct, but the setting does not have corners, so it doesn't catch. My DH wears a cast off ring of his father's as a wedding ring. It has a ruby in it. His is gold, mine is platinum. Aren't we weird? LOL.

And yes, your friend sounds pretty spechul. Sounds like she had a insomnia related, drunken rant. I can't imagine why she'd care about such petty stuff?

I don't wear either of my rings unless I leave the house. I have a skinny finger, but a big knuckle so I can't get them sized so that they don't slide on my finger without making them too small to get over my knuckle. Sliding rings get on my nerves, so I only wear them when I leave the house.

Guest inoubliable
I don't wear either of my rings unless I leave the house. I have a skinny finger, but a big knuckle so I can't get them sized so that they don't slide on my finger without making them too small to get over my knuckle. Sliding rings get on my nerves, so I only wear them when I leave the house.

My fingers are like that, too. Skinny but with big knuckles. My wedding band is sized just small enough that I've got to give it a teensy shove to get it past my knuckle. And then it slides around the bottom half of my finger all day long. Whenever I do wear my engagement ring, I also wear my grandmother's anniversary band so that all three rings together butt up against my knuckle and there is less sliding.

I've never had an engagement ring so obviously I don't wear one. We were poor college students at the time. Even my wedding band was free--a hand-me-down from dh's grandmother. But I think that's actually very cool!

I think that's VERY cool!!

I did, but last week I put my rings in my pocket while doing dishes, and lost my engagement ring somewhere. I am praying it is somewhere in the house. :(

I hope you find it soon!