Menu

Do you have an engagement ring? Do you wear it?

Guest inoubliable

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wear mine every day, both engagement and wedding rings. I've only ever taken the off to be cleaned or repaired. I know a lot of people take their rings off to wash their hands, or shower or whatever. I can see if you're a Dr, like one of the posters above mentioned, or a nurse, but to me it just seemed weird to take them off just to wash my hands.

My engagement ring was $100 chip from Montgomery Ward. No. I don't wear it. I wear a gold band. I like it just fine.

My dh found a beautiful 1 carat ring with 13 chips several years ago. After no one claimed it, we got to keep it. We will be turning this into a ring for me. It's a marquis cut and I want it set east-west so it doesn't catch on everything. I like the style.

I will only be able to get this ring if dryers and vans stop breaking, BILs stop needing money, and kids stop eating me out of house and home. So maybe some day. :)

My engagement ring is soltered to my wedding band. I only wear it (and my anniversary band) when I go out of the house. My solitaire is a marquis cut and it is kind of sharp, so I don't like to wear it around the house. Plus in the winter, my fingers shrink a little and I'm always afraid I'll lose the set down the drain.

My band and engagement ring are soldered together. I put my ring on when I'm dressed for the day and take it off when I go to bed. I love wearing my ring! Because.... it was such a surprise. DH took me to look at teeny, tiny diamonds. Meanwhile, he'd been to an estate auction and purchased a beautiful 1+ carat diamond that he had reset. I was so shocked when he gave it to me! I've worn it 27 years now (almost 28) and I can't imagine NOT wearing it.

Sort of a spin-off from my post this morning re: confessions. The fact that I don't usually wear my engagement ring was mentioned in this email to me this morning. At first, I put it all in the same pile as the other nonsense, but now I'm really thinking about it. Pretty much everyone that I know DOES wear their engagement ring.

How about you?

I have a nice 1 ct. diamond solitaire that I just don't wear. I do wear my wedding band. When DH and I are going out somewhere or going out of town, I put the diamond on. Usually, though, it's sitting in my jewelry box. After a few years of wearing it, I just found that it seemed to get in the way. Constantly taking it off to wash hands or dishes, to cook, to fold laundry (so it didn't catch on clothing or linens)... Blech. It just got in my way.

So now I'm wondering if that's completely strange of me.

I'm of the opinion that it's better to get enjoyment from what we have than to save things for a special day. This may be shallow, but I really love the few pieces I have and I get enjoyment out of seeing them daily. I also use my "good" tablecloths every day, my crystal wineglasses when I drink wine (instead of the cheap ones dh bought after bil broke three of the good ones in one weekend) and I'm not afraid to use my Great-Grandmother's cocoa set that she hand-painted herself in the 20's (even though I just about gave my dad a heart attack when I told him the kids and I used it for actual cocoa).

Sort of a spin-off from my post this morning re: confessions. The fact that I don't usually wear my engagement ring was mentioned in this email to me this morning. At first, I put it all in the same pile as the other nonsense, but now I'm really thinking about it. Pretty much everyone that I know DOES wear their engagement ring.

How about you?

I have a nice 1 ct. diamond solitaire that I just don't wear. I do wear my wedding band. When DH and I are going out somewhere or going out of town, I put the diamond on. Usually, though, it's sitting in my jewelry box. After a few years of wearing it, I just found that it seemed to get in the way. Constantly taking it off to wash hands or dishes, to cook, to fold laundry (so it didn't catch on clothing or linens)... Blech. It just got in my way.

So now I'm wondering if that's completely strange of me.

Mr. Ellie gave me one for our 25th anniversary. :001_wub:

I take off all my jewelry (wedding band, engagement ring, watch, Hawaiian silver bracelet, earrings, silver necklace my dd bought for me when she was in Scotland) when I'm home. I put it all on when I leave the house.

FTR, my Hawaiian bracelet is similar to this one:

BA002.jpg

I'm of the opinion that it's better to get enjoyment from what we have than to save things for a special day. This may be shallow, but I really love the few pieces I have and I get enjoyment out of seeing them daily. I also use my "good" tablecloths every day, my crystal wineglasses when I drink wine (instead of the cheap ones dh bought after bil broke three of the good ones in one weekend) and I'm not afraid to use my Great-Grandmother's cocoa set that she hand-painted herself in the 20's (even though I just about gave my dad a heart attack when I told him the kids and I used it for actual cocoa).

Yep!

I have been given several sets of china and some antique linens precisely because the giver knew they would actually be used (maybe even used up) by our family for years. I've recently realized I sometimes eat cheap and easy carb-rich foods because I'd rather "save" the good stuff for big meals with family. Need to get rid of that thinking, DUH!

I wear my engagement ring on my right hand because it otherwise interferes with playing my instrument. If my husband didn't care, I would probably be like the OP and wear it for special occasions, but now that I'm used to it I would miss it.

I told dh not to get me one but he dragged me into a jewelry store and insisted on buying the biggest diamond they had. I caved because it seemed to be the expected thing to do but ended up not keeping it. We were poor and I felt bad about him spending a huge (to us at the time) amount of money on something I didn't even want. I later found out he was worried about what other people would think, especially my parents, but they didn't care. I have a gold band that I usually wear when going somewhere.

Yes and yes.

Though I would notice if the engagement ring were missing on someone else, I wouldn't really care if it were there or not.

I would think it odd if someone who I knew was married did not have at least their wedding band on. I think it's an important symbol.

This, coming from a gal whose mother never wore her rings. She wasn't looking to look single or anything, but I guess one time she lost them, than they got too small. I always thought she should have had them resized or at least bought a cheap band to wear.

My dad ALWAYS had his band on.

Yes and yes. My diamond ring is fused to my wedding band so they are one ring now. It's not a big ring really, so it doesn't get in the way of anything. Although I guess I should say I don't do anything that would give it an opportunity to get in the way. But I wouldn't consider not wearing one to be weird.

No I never wear either my wedding ring or my engagement ring. I really don't like jewellery and can't stand the feeling of it on my skin. I actually wouldn't mind selling my engagement ring and putting the money towards something useful but I think my dh is too attached to it or the idea of it.

I wear mine every day, both engagement and wedding rings. I've only ever taken the off to be cleaned or repaired. I know a lot of people take their rings off to wash their hands, or shower or whatever. I can see if you're a Dr, like one of the posters above mentioned, or a nurse, but to me it just seemed weird to take them off just to wash my hands.

I was just wondering the same thing - I'm glad someone else asked too! Why does everyone take their rings off to wash their hands or shower? :confused1: I don't, and I wear them to bed, too. Same goes for the ring I wear on my other hand. They've only come off when I was pg and bloated or sometimes when I've had to knead dough (and not even always then). Keeping them on when you wash your hands keeps them clean and sparkly. I'd also be terrified they'd fall down the sink drain... Mine sticks up quite a bit, too, and I don't have a problem with it getting caught or getting in the way... :confused1:

I wear one of them. One is a flat Disney ring (mickey mouse) and the other is more traditional (diamond). My husband has two wedding bands (and only one marriage). He interchanges them too.

ETA: We do take them off to do electronics work...

I never take mine off. It's just a little quarter-carat b/c that's all dh could afford in college, but it's lovely and very special to me.

My first ring broke after being sized, and I didn't wear it for a few years; it bothered both my hubby and me, but I was rather depressed and angry at the time and didn't want to get it fixed. Passive-agressive carp. He gave me a new band (same diamond) for Christmas about 3 or 4 years ago--it feels clunkier, even tho it's quite thin, but it means a lot to him that I wear it. We are into symbols like that.

I have and wear an engagement ring every day. I have taken it off for periods of time in the past - pregnancy when my hands swelled. I also wear my wedding band. It's never occurred to me not to wear them. The engagement ring is a diamond, 2/3 carat. princess cut. plain gold.

My rings are soldered together, so it's all or nothing. that being said, my knuckle joint got bigger when I was preggo with dd1 (2006) and I just got it resized this past summer. I only wear it when going out, and dh never wears his as it is a safety hazzard at his job and not allowed (or smart to wear if you like all your fingers).

Guest inoubliable
No I never wear either my wedding ring or my engagement ring. I really don't like jewellery and can't stand the feeling of it on my skin. I actually wouldn't mind selling my engagement ring and putting the money towards something useful but I think my dh is too attached to it or the idea of it.

I'm sort of the same way. I'm not huge into jewelry. I do have some things that I enjoy wearing at times, but I don't usually think to ask for jewelry or buy it for myself. I never sleep with jewelry on, except for my wedding band. I hardly even wear earrings. In all honesty, my jewelry was part of one of my New Year's resolutions. To wear the stuff more often and if I found that I wasn't, to find a new home for it all. I'd like to explore the idea of selling the engagement ring and putting the money in savings maybe. I don't think DH would mind at all. He sees the ring much the same way that I do - we were pressured into getting it and it doesn't mean much.

I was just wondering the same thing - I'm glad someone else asked too! Why does everyone take their rings off to wash their hands or shower? :confused1: I don't, and I wear them to bed, too. Same goes for the ring I wear on my other hand. They've only come off when I was pg and bloated or sometimes when I've had to knead dough (and not even always then). Keeping them on when you wash your hands keeps them clean and sparkly. I'd also be terrified they'd fall down the sink drain... Mine sticks up quite a bit, too, and I don't have a problem with it getting caught or getting in the way... :confused1:

I take mine off so that water doesn't get trapped between my skin and the ring. I dry my hands well so that I don't get a rash or skin irritation. I've also had to take mine in to be cleaned every six months for insurance reasons. They've ALWAYS pointed it out when I've happened to wear mine while showering or washing dishes - there's a soap residue left behind in some spots of the ring. As for sticking up and getting caught - mine sticks up really high. The whole thing is platinum and the prongs, when caught on something, don't budge. I've caused snags in blankets, towels, sheets, sweaters, wool socks... I guess if the prongs/setting were less flashy, then it would be more low profile and wouldn't snag as much. I can't spend money on resetting it, though.

People have their reasons ... in case you are genuinely wondering, I'll share mine. :) (Not that I think it is hugely important but I kind of bristle when people act as if it doesn't make any sense.)

It feels weird to me not take them off to wash. It is a habit I got into when I had severe skin problems on my hands and I felt better about getting everything perfectly dry when I took the rings off to wash and put them back after drying. Sure, you can dry your hands with the rings (dh will slip his ring up a bit to dry under the ring) but with the way my hands were, it was better to take the ring off all the way.

I clean my ring, but not when washing my hands.

My engagement ring has scratched one of my kids more than once so it was one more reason to not wear it around the house. Maybe because the stone wasn't round, it was more likely to scratch.

My husband, on the other hand, can probably count the number of times he has removed his ring. He very, very rarely takes it off and we've been married almost ten years. So for him, it is weird to even think of taking it off for hand washing or showers or just being home but he sees why I don't wear mine at home. :)

I take mine off so that water doesn't get trapped between my skin and the ring. I dry my hands well so that I don't get a rash or skin irritation. I've also had to take mine in to be cleaned every six months for insurance reasons. They've ALWAYS pointed it out when I've happened to wear mine while showering or washing dishes - there's a soap residue left behind in some spots of the ring.

Huh, that's interesting. I've had a little water under mine, but they are loose enough that a little moving them around and it all dries easily. I've never gotten a rash or anything from them. I've also never had the jeweler say anything about soap residue, and I too have to go in every 6 months to get it cleaned and inspected for insurance purposes (which I've done for 15 year and they've never said a thing about residue) but mine are just gold, so maybe the platinum has something to do with that.

I don't wear my rings at home at all.

I don't wear them when I wash my hands because I often use hand lotion afterwards and I don't want my rings to get gunked up with lotion.

I have a little wooden box that I keep my jewelry in. I never just leave my jewelry lying around in random places; when I come home, I take off all my jewelry and put every piece right into that box.

I just don't like wearing the rings when I'm baking, or digging in the garden, or cleaning the bathtub, or washing the dog.

I use a fingernail brush to clean the rings with on a regular basis.

I *had* and engagement ring.

I loved that ring. So, when I was born again, it was a bit of a stumbling block for me. I mean, the thought of NOT having/wearing my ring was nonsense to me. It was a 3/4 carat, heart shaped solitaire. I loved it. Which is why the Lord had me get rid of it. I sold it, along with my original gold wedding band, and gave the money to missions. The Lord has really broken me of materialism, for which I am very grateful.

I now wear a silver band.

Guest inoubliable

What's completely strange is someone's mentioning it to you in an e-mail. What...is she the engagement ring police??? :rolleyes:

Apparently she's quite the expert in MANY things. My sins were many and it would have taken a good 20 mins just to outline the email in bullet points. I re-read it with DH last night and it was hilarious at that point.

I don't use an electric dryer? I'm positively Stone Age!

I like a certain tea in the morning and a certain tea in the afternoon? I'm pretentious!

I quit smoking? I'm trying to rub it in how much better than everyone else I am!

Kids don't have handheld gaming systems? I'm depriving them of a childhood!

I listen to music with songs sung in languages that I can't understand? I'm trying to "prove my intelligence"!

I read the Game of Thrones books but not 50 Shades books? I'm showing off my vocabulary! (I *really* don't get that one)

Seriously, the whole email was just so weird. If I didn't know this person IRL, I'd think she had been high or drunk at the time. I heard from another friend last night, though, that this particular person has been making the rounds of our mutual friends. Making fun of me and whatnot. All of our mutual friends think she's a total whackadoo now.

Apparently she's quite the expert in MANY things. My sins were many and it would have taken a good 20 mins just to outline the email in bullet points. I re-read it with DH last night and it was hilarious at that point.

I don't use an electric dryer? I'm positively Stone Age!

I like a certain tea in the morning and a certain tea in the afternoon? I'm pretentious!

I quit smoking? I'm trying to rub it in how much better than everyone else I am!

Kids don't have handheld gaming systems? I'm depriving them of a childhood!

I listen to music with songs sung in languages that I can't understand? I'm trying to "prove my intelligence"!

I read the Game of Thrones books but not 50 Shades books? I'm showing off my vocabulary! (I *really* don't get that one)

Seriously, the whole email was just so weird. If I didn't know this person IRL, I'd think she had been high or drunk at the time. I heard from another friend last night, though, that this particular person has been making the rounds of our mutual friends. Making fun of me and whatnot. All of our mutual friends think she's a total whackadoo now.

Wow.

And yet she still wants to be "friends" with you. Perhaps she thinks she can rehabilitate you or something.

Wonder what all your mutual friends said to her when she slandered you?

I have an engagement ring that is soldered to my jacket wrap/wedding band. I wear them everyday. The only times I take it off is if I'm making something messy in the kitchen or if I eat chinese food for dinner and know that my hands are going to swell overnight. I also have a plain thin gold band because we were moving to Florida after our wedding and I wanted something simple that I could wear on the beach and out fishing etc. So now I wear all three bands stacked on top of each other.

I take mine off so that water doesn't get trapped between my skin and the ring. I dry my hands well so that I don't get a rash or skin irritation.

This is why I take mine off. It's very snug these days and for a while I was constantly getting a rash underneath from water being trapped. It's tight enough that it also gets uncomfortable when my fingers swell a little bit over the course of the day, and can be difficult to get off to dry underneath. For awhile I was carrying around a little thing of baby powder so I could powder my finger before putting my ring back on since that helped prevent the rash but then I gained even more weight and it's very uncomfortable. I don't want to get it resized since I WILL be losing this weight.

Apparently my hands got really fat during my last pregnancy because my rings still don't fit, though I am the same weight as when I've worn them before. I'm going to give it a few more months and try to get myself smaller so I can wear my solitaire and wedding band.

Generally, I wear them most of the time.

I stopped wearing my engagement ring when my oldest was an infant; the stone always seemed to somehow scratch her lil' bum when I changed diapers. She's now 6. I tried it on recently but my fingers are now too big for it.

I stopped wearing my wedding ring this past fall, when my fingers got to big.

Trying to lose weight so I can fit them both.