Menu

Our House is Officially Paid Off!!!!!

Soror

The check should be clearing today! Now I'm nervous waiting for it to go through- I've never wrote a check that big. It still doesn't seem real! It seems we should do something to celebrate but I hate the idea of just spending money to celebrate. Now I'm anxious to be sprucing up the house as I feel even more pride now that it is *all* ours!

Wow, that's great!!! Congratulations! You could have an old-fashioned mortgage burning party :). I have some cousins who did that when they paid off their house. You could use money from the mortgage payment that you no longer have. :D

Wow, that's great!!! Congratulations! You could have an old-fashioned mortgage burning party :). I have some cousins who did that when they paid off their house. You could use money from the mortgage payment that you no longer have. :D

Yes! A friend of ours had a mortgage-burning party, and it was very fun. We are going to do the same - 3.5 years to go! Wa-hoo!!

And: :party:

We'd always said we would have a party but now it seems kind of crazy. I'm feeling kind of shy about it. It feels bragging to throw a party about it. My dh keeps finding ways to work it into the conversation, he's been embarrassing me! He is just so proud. We did work very hard and kept focus. Sometimes I wondered if we would make it, I kept thinking something would happen and we wouldn't be able to do it. We did end up having a lot of things pop up but we adjusted and worked around them. It really gave us more motivation as what we could accomplish when we really stay focused and work hard.

We'd always said we would have a party but now it seems kind of crazy. I'm feeling kind of shy about it. It feels bragging to throw a party about it. My dh keeps finding ways to work it into the conversation, he's been embarrassing me! He is just so proud. We did work very hard and kept focus. Sometimes I wondered if we would make it, I kept thinking something would happen and we wouldn't be able to do it. We did end up having a lot of things pop up but we adjusted and worked around them. It really gave us more motivation as what we could accomplish when we really stay focused and work hard.

That's a lot of hard work and dedication to get your house paid off. Throw a party. Don't feel like your bragging ... enjoy the rewards of all those dinners of rice and beans.

LOL, perhaps dh would like a party! It is amazing how many different things he can find that relates to the paying off of the mortgage. He wants to call in Dave Ramsey as well. I don't really want to do that personally. He always asks all your financial details and I'd rather not share that with the world. I've also heard so many more stories much more impressive. We just did without and that was that, set a goal and stay focused to meet it.

That is a good point about a fancy meal! Lobster sounds good me but boy it would be so hard to pay so much for a meal! I'm kind of waiting to see it clear to see exactly where we stand(we've also got an outstanding ped visit we've got to pay as well that I'm not sure the total yet). From my math I think we are going to have a bit more left than I had originally calculated. I've thought about different things I can do for others after not being very generous at all for the last year. We are already onto our next goal though which is buying a new to us van, our 12 y.o. model has been needing more and more repairs lately. I'd also like some new furniture as well, now that would be nice!

That is a good point about a fancy meal! Lobster sounds good me but boy it would be so hard to pay so much for a meal!

Decide your budget for the party is one mortgage payment. Have a lobster dinner. Save the rest. You came out ahead! That's how I think about things, LOL.

Oh, one house payment, that is really too extravagant and our payment wasn't even that high! I could never let go of that much for a party! It's already earmarked! I could let go of maybe $50. I do need to ask dh though what he wants to do. I know he is really wanting to spruce things up as well. We didn't do anything last year unless we had to and we've got some things that definitely need to be taken care of around here.

You should celebrate. Even your fellow llnoe boardies would tell you that, and they're some of the most frugal people I know. Celebration is recognizing an accomplishment and moving on to the next goal. We celebrate when our kids graduate from high school even though they're going off to college. It's what keeps being frugal bearable.g