Menu

If you haven't started decorating for Christmas,

ApronMama

please chime in here and make me feel better that mine isn't done!

I always want to have it done by December 1, but it just isn't going to happen and never has happened. I thought not hosting Thanksgiving would help, but it didn't.

I'm not even talking about the tree--we don't do that until 2 weeks before Christmas.

We do not decorate until after DD the Elder's birthday, so the tree and decorations go up about two weeks before Christmas and are taken down January 2 or 3. Nobody in our household feels deprived. :)

I refuse to decorate until after my birthday. That's passed, so we'll decorate Monday. I can't reach the tree without help and I'm without help until then (unless you count DD, who's a little too short to reach the top shelf of the front closet behind the bags where the tree is hiding!).

You are absolved. :)

I used to decorate early in November and I've gradually moved the start date to December 1st. I find when you start the season too early it really dilutes the excitement. When you've been listening to carols, seeing stores full of Christmas stuff and have all your decorations up super early, then you have way too long to wait for the actual holiday and by the time it arrives it's an anticlimax.

Our goal is to decorate, including a tree, this weekend. But, because the decor includes the lawn, we will be mowing, edging, trimming, pruning, and blowing all day Saturday. :glare: The lawn should have groomed weeks ago. :crying: At least we will have good weather. :hurray: I.am.so.not.in.the.mood!

Wait, we're supposed to decorate? I hate seasonal decorating. Dh wants a tree. If he buys one we'll decorate, if he doesn't I will be happy.

What she said!

I've never been fond of decorating for holidays, and being in the midst of a simplicity phase has exacerbated that. I admire others' Christmas trees, but the thought of bringing a tree and fiddly little ornaments and lights and all the other stuff into my relatively spare living room makes me feel all twitchy.

And as I said in the other decorating thread, we live in the woods. We have all the evergreen trees we could possibly want. If we have to bring a plant into our house, how about something more exotic? Maybe a cactus? Lemon tree?

I'm changing what and how i want to celebrate and why, of course. We do not celebrate Christmas, but we do something a little special for the first day of winter.

I plan on getting a sad tree this year (7ft ceilings, no space) and the kids will decorate it.

I've done nothing yet. I'm thinking of getting a few things this weekend and maybe putting up the tree.

Can't get into it this year...just can't. Went to the Christkindlmarket in Chicago last weekend and that usually gets us in the mood. The kids bought ornaments and they sit in the box. We're all off today and is anyone interested in decorating? No. We're going to see the Lincoln movie instead.

What can I do to get into the holiday spirit? We've done family tradition things, watched our favorite holiday movie, made our favorite holiday time treat, and yet no shopping or decorating has been done.

We haven't done anything, either. Well, I did put up a tree--we decided we needed to get an artificial tree this year because of our cat (I'm totally depressed about this because I've never had anything other than a real tree). He would likely eat the needles off a real tree, and he already has severe gastric issues. So, we bought a tree right after thanksgiving, and we have put it up. But there's nothing on it. It's just been sitting naked in the living room. I need to get it anchored to the ceiling before we attempt to decorate (again, because of the cat), and no one has had time to do that yet.

So unless having one naked Christmas tree in the living room counts as decorating, no, we haven't decorated. We usually don't start for another week or so, anyway!

We go very slowly ahead of time, getting the tree up a week or so before Christmas and keeping it up through the 12 days of Christmas. We tend to wait until Nativity and after for our big celebration, which nicely does away with that anticlimactic thing. You're not alone!

I havent started yet, but that is the norm for me.

Dec 1st we put out the nativity and start the advent calendars. We read some verses and talk about the meaning of the Christmas holidays. Then about 2 weeks later we put up our tree and decorate.

Normally we take down the tree right after Christmas because I have 2 kids with Christmas time birthdays and 2 more that are right after Christmas. I switch over to birthdays at that point. However, this year I am hosting a later "Christmas" extended family dinner on the 30th, so I have to keep up the decor longer. Hopefully the tree makes it.

I always want to have it done by December 1, but it just isn't going to happen and never has happened. I thought not hosting Thanksgiving would help, but it didn't.

I'm not even talking about the tree--we don't do that until 2 weeks before Christmas.

I haven't started. I also don't plan to start till dh starts to complain / comment. And if he doesn't comment and the decorations never go up. Well even better. :)

I decorate slowly and we never get our tree up until 2 weeks (or so) before Christmas. It's a live tree so I don't like it to stay long. I remember, as a child, that some families didn't get their tree up until Christmas eve. I think it was part of the tradition that you dont' celebrate Christmas before the Feast day. To them it was nice. They woke up in the morning and the whole house was transformed - garlands, tree, presents, etc. Of course, it was probably not quite so "fun" for their parents. :wacko:

I never start before the first weekend in December. I might put a few outdoor lights up and a small tree in the basement family room today. I'm never in a hurry to put the main tree up and I don't do a lot of other decorations.

I put the lights up last weekend when it was 60*. I always try to take advantage of the few last nice days for the outside stuff.

Made our Advent calendar, and tomorrow will hang a calendar (felt tree thing--you put up an ornament each day in Dec til 25th).

That's it--that's all we do, except the tree. We don't get that til about 2.5 weeks before the big day. We live it up til Epiphany.

This year, we may do more--mantle, nature table near the front door (really a dresser), and maybe even the pillars outside!!! Maybe.

We never start until Advent. Then the calendars and nativity sets come out. We wait 2 or 3 weeks for the tree. If we wait too long you can't get a tree near here. :D But, this year things changed. Dd was home for college and having a party for her friends as they came back here to college and she was leaving. Well, she showed us how fast decorating can be done. So if you are tired and need the family to help have a party for their friends.

We don't put ours up until December 15. And it's always that date. The reason is that is one of my kids birthdays and she likes having her birthday presents under the Christmas tree. I'm a procrastinator so I never get it done sooner than that (I'm still trying to wrap her birthday presents right before supper that day - and she opens them immediately after supper). So putting up the tree has become part of our traditions for her birthday!

I still have only harvest stuff out.

This weekend the Advent stuff will be put up.

The Christmas tree is brought in the weekend before Christmas, and decorated as part of our Christmas Eve family celebration, and stays up through 12th Night.

Hmmm, I like this. I think.

Conflicted!

We have always put the tree up Thanksgiving weekend, and even though it's a live tree, it lasts through Christmas and we take it down sometime between Christmas and New Years (mostly New Year's Day, I think, while I'm watching the Rose Parade). We also put up a lot of green garland and decorations throughout the house, lots of lights outside, and play Christmas music throughout December. We love having a decorated and festive house, especially my dh.

But...this year, we are doing Advent for the first time. We've always gone to non-demon churches (or none), but we've been attending an Anglican church this year. I love it, and although it's weird for my dh to attend a liturgical service, it brings me back to my happy days as a Catholic.

I'd like to decorate for Advent, but what does that mean? A wreathe and nativity scene won't cut it...we always do that, and it's a small portion of our decorating.

And, I always feel like the Christmas tree and decorations are very sad after Christmas. It feels lame and hollow somehow, and I can't wait to take the tree down. I do like leaving the other decorations up for longer, because they are festive and once the presents are gone from the tree it looks bereft. I don't know if I can keep the tree up until Epiphany, but I do want to celebrate that day this year, somehow (I have no idea how).

Help!