Menu

What is your budget per child for Christmas?

ksr5377

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never been able to plan a budget that is per child. One always wants/needs things that are more/less than the other. This year we are spending most of the total budget on older dd, but younger dd is getting everything she wanted (and some things she needed). Our budget this year was $700 total, but younger dd's gifts were only about $250. Older needed a laptop and really hoped for concert tickets. She's getting both but only expecting the laptop. Younger dd is getting everything she's mentioned she wants, so she's going to be very happy.

We will spend about 200 on our only DS this year. I always want to go overboard but he gets so much from everyone else it is silly if we do.

It would have been more if my folks weren't getting him a papason chair (spelling?) And the digital microscope we want him to have.

I'm guessing we'll spend about $200 per kid this year. We've spent much more in the past and also, on occasion, much less. I'm including stocking stuffers in that amount, as well as supplies for a few crafty gifts I'm making. In each case, their presents this year will include books we'd end up buying them anyway and some practical stuff.

Edited to add: According to this article, the average family spent about $270 per child on gifts in 2011. From what I'm reading elsewhere, the experts are expecting over all spending to go up a bit this year.

It varies a lot here. I didn't spend much last year because we couldn't. I spent about $150 per kid (a little less but I'm thinking of adding one more thing for each) this year. I'm excited about their gifts. I felt bad last year particularly but they didn't seem to notice anyway. I wrapped up things like Hotwheels and markers. Grandparents gave them a couple of bigger gifts and it was all ok. My parents did Christmas big when I was growing up so it's hard for me when we can't do the same for my kids.

I think we're under 300 per child this year for Hanukkah and Christmas gifts, but it might be a bit higher. I have a spreadsheet with gift types for each listed and as I buy I add the name of the actual gift so they all get the same number of gifts. I was trying to keep the costs down some this year, so there are a number of smaller $10 to $20 gifts and under $10 ones this year rather then more expensive ones.

I don't set a budget, but because ds12 is an only child, and he and my dh are the only people I'm buying big gifts for, so I can be pretty extravagant and buy a lot of stuff.

(We do also buy for a few friends, but we don't exchange gifts with any other family members, so our "to buy for" list is quite short.)

It varies here also. I'd say most years we have averaged $300-350 per child for 4 children, meaning some years one might get closer to $500 spent on them while another got less, then the tables would be turned the next year. Overall I think it has balanced over the years.

Now that some kids are married, and we have grandchildren, things are changing. This year is gonna be big because it will probably be our last year all together for a few years with dd and her dh moving to VA, and new dsil working shift-work. My budget was about $2500.

Next year I will tame that considerably. We plan to do a "couple" gift for the married couples, or individual gifts, but keep total per person around $100. Unmarried college kids will prob be in the $150-200 each range (I give them some practical items in their stockings too like gift cards and things). Grandkids will get in the $75 each range. I am probably going to cut out purchasing for extended family (I buy for all my great nieces and nephews, and a couple of my siblings and nieces) except my mom also. I'm hoping to bring it down to around $1500 for next year.

I've never been able to plan a budget that is per child. One always wants/needs things that are more/less than the other.

This. One of my kids really wants Lego Mindstorms so that's what we got him, and another kid wanted something that cost 1/3 that but she will be thrilled with it. I like to make sure they have the same number of presents, but the amount spent per child will vary.

So far I've spent $25 on each kid, not including "Santa" gifts. Santa gifts are usually shared cause they are so young right now, and that is about $75. So, I think I'm at just around $100 for both of them right now. I just need stocking stuffers, now. Plus, some small gifts for family... total? Maybe $200-$250 for everything.

It varies greatly. I do not set an amount per child. This year, it will be in the thousands for one; down to a couple of hundred for another. The one in the thousands is not getting but a couple of gifts, they are just big/but needed. The couple of hundred is getting many smaller items.

I'm always concerned more about how many gifts they each have because I want it to be fair, even if that means wrapping up a jigsaw puzzle as a gift. But I do my best to keep the spending down. This year I've spent about $600 for all 5 of us, but that was really way more than I wanted to spend. $150 of that is mine, but my birthday is about 2 weeks after Christmas so I often ask for something sort of big as a combo gift. I'll also say that all of this has been charged on the credit card but we'll pay half in Dec. and the other half in Jan. I definitely wouldn't have spent that much if I didn't have a firm plan on how to pay for it. That's very important to us. Therefore, our budget changes from year to year.

I'm planning to spend $600 for 3 kids, but I doubt it will be spread evenly. One is getting a more expensive gift than the others, but she's the youngest and won't understand if she only gets to open 2 things. The olders understand that we're saving for a special trip so they aren't asking for big stuff.

Can I ask why you do all of your shopping on the 23rd? I have never waited that long. I am afraid they will be out of everything!

I do most of my shopping online though. Several gifts you can ONLY get online and several have deals/specials online various days.

We don't know yet, there are so many factors this year. Maybe around $200? Probably less, though. We won't know until the week before Christmas, and we do all of our shopping on the 23rd.

We do 3 gifts each, plus stockings. I usually don't think about spending, bu this year we are trying to be more frugal, not due to lack of funds, but because we feel we should. I have used credit card points for dd1 and spent only $55 so far. I will buy her one more gift. I've used B & N membership coupons for ds and nieces and nephews and spent half what I wold have normally. Dd2 only has one $20 gift so far, but I will likely spent $80 total. I think my total for all 3 might be $400.

We'll probably spend about $125, but toddler toys are pretty cheap in comparison to those for older children. His "big" present is an indoor trampoline I got on sale for about $60. We were going to get him a kitchen, but we didn't want him to be overwhelmed, so we'll probably get it as a just because toy in a few months.

We spend to much, but we are older parents and only one of our parents is still alive. We have 7 adult children ( that we no longer buy for ) two little children still at home, and eleven grand babies with one more on the way. It adds up fast. Luckily hubby gets a Christmas bonus in the form of Sick Days he did not use all year, which amounts to a thousand or more a year.

It varies so much year to year! When they are little, the budget is low and the gifts are plenty... but as the years have passed the dollar per child has gone way up, and the number of gifts goes down.

This is a bigger year $ wise, but I spread the purchases out throughout the whole year so it doesn't feel as bad. Our youngest is getting around 3K worth of gifts (stand up paddle board, ipad mini, American girl dolls and accessories for the larger $ items), our two adults that are out of the house have requested new appliances for one and a bedroom set for another. The grand children are still so little, so they are easy with about $500 spent per child this year.

We don't give gifts except small items or experiences for birthdays, so Christmas is our big gift giving celebration.

Honestly sometimes pretty much nothing.

My kids don't really need or want anything worthwhile. (Actually Youngest wants LOTS of stuff. He isn't any more specific then that. I also don't want him to have lots of stuff)

My parents get a bunch of stuff. My brother's family also get them something, so does my BIL. Then sometimes something a little extra from someone else.

A bunch of stuff is used and what not, so the kids get more bang for the buck.

If the kids don't get everything off the list from someone else (And I know in advance) then I will get it. Right now the list is lots of pillows, and licorice.

We are fortunate that we don't really need to set a budget for Christmas gifts for our kids. We only have two children and they don't get much from family, so we buy more for them. I really don't keep track of what I spend from year to year, and I don't worry about spending the same on both kids. I just keep the number of gifts the same.

This year my girls are each getting a MacBook Pro, so we're spending more than we usually would. However, I really want them to have the laptops because I have a lot of plans for their computers homeschooling-wise. I contemplated just buying them for them this fall, but I never got around to it, so now I just decided to make them Christmas presents. However, I won't just get them one present each, so I'll be buying them more presents like I usually would. So, a more expensive Christmas than usual this year, but I'm looking forward to seeing their faces on Christmas Eve and morning.

I don't keep a strict budget, although the big gift is usually @$50. They get 2 more gifts, usually a book, board game, t-shirt, or video game. We get these economically over time so I don't bother to budget it, and stocking stuffers come out of the food budget.

Nieces and nephews have a budget of $20-30 and the adults pick a name out of a hat (so each adult will get something), also $20-30.

I don't think I have ever had a set amount of $ for each child. I try to get them gifts that they want or in the case of the 2 year old gifts that he will enjoy. I have really cut back this year. In years past it was nothing to spend over $1000 on Christmas. This year I have bought for everyone on our list for less than $500.