HSQ1---Feelings on homeschooling

Tap

How I feel about homeschooling  

1. 1. How I feel about homeschooling

• Happy
    • Take it or leave it...it is just ok
    • Wish we didn't

Mini Poll and some questions.

Simple questions... You can give one word answers to most of these, but I would love to hear your reasons also. Answer one, answer them all, what ever works for you. :D

How do you feel about your choice to homeschool?

Are you happy you started homeschooling?

Are your children happy to be homeschooled?

What do you feel is your favorite part of the school day? least favorite?

What is your favorite part of the school year? least favorite?

What is your favorite subject to teach? Your children's favorites?

How do you feel inside when you tell people you homeschool?

This exact moment in time....what are you feeling when you look back on your day (or yesterday if your day hasn't started yet)?

Simple questions... You can give one word answers to most of these, but I would love to hear your reasons also. Answer one, answer them all, what ever works for you. :D

How do you feel about your choice to homeschool? Positive

Are you happy you started homeschooling? Yes

Are your children happy to be homeschooled?They are now that they have graduated or almost graduated. The younger two are concurrent and see the value when they compare their abilities with their co-students

What do you feel is your favorite part of the school day? least favorite?Varied over the years - depending on what "phase" the boys were in at the time. I loved reading aloud during our lunch time

What is your favorite part of the school year? least favorite?Favorite - beginning; Least favorite - February

What is your favorite subject to teach? Your children's favorites?Again, varied. Science and Literature probably top the list most years

How do you feel inside when you tell people you homeschool? Often hesitant to say anything. This was especially true in the early years when people thought I was young and stupid. I hated defending our choice. Now I speak of it proudly. It helps to have some successful college students to back up my claims :D

This exact moment in time....what are you feeling when you look back on your day (or yesterday if your day hasn't started yet)?Drat that boy! He was supposed to catch up on his biology instead of playing racquetball after his college classes. Maybe he'll have to cook supper to atone for his forgetfulness :D

FWIW, I'm finally relaxing. I'm essentially done with the day-to-day teaching so my perspective is probably vastly different from those of you in the trenches. We took my ds's Eagle Scout Application to the scout shop and he wanted to go to Mardels to look for a CD. It was an interesting experience NOT looking at the homeschool books/supplies :)

How do you feel about your choice to homeschool? Very good.

Are your children happy to be homeschooled? Yes

What do you feel is your favorite part of the school day? Around 10AM when everyone is busy working :) least favorite? Whenever math hits. :lol:

What is your favorite part of the school year? The beginning. I'm all gung ho. least favorite? The end, when I'm just ready to be done.

What is your favorite subject to teach? History Your children's favorites? DD15 - Latin Twins - refuse to answer.

How do you feel inside when you tell people you homeschool? Proud

This exact moment in time....what are you feeling when you look back on your day (or yesterday if your day hasn't started yet)? Tired.

How do you feel about your choice to homeschool? Good.

Are you happy you started homeschooling? Yes.

Are your children happy to be homeschooled? Mostly.

What do you feel is your favorite part of the school day? least favorite? Reading aloud and discussing is my favorite. Least favorite would be towards the end of the day when he is tired and cranky and a small request is met with OMG MOM YOU ARE SO MEEEAAAANNN.

What is your favorite part of the school year? least favorite? A few weeks in when things are still fresh but we have settled into a routine.

What is your favorite subject to teach? Your children's favorites? His favorite is history. I like anything that gets us talking and exploring.

How do you feel inside when you tell people you homeschool? Depends on the context. Anywhere from thrilled to very nervous, depending on if I think they are going to be a jerk about it.

This exact moment in time....what are you feeling when you look back on your day (or yesterday if your day hasn't started yet)? Frustrated. We have not yet found our groove this year and I am trying to figure out how to make it all work.

How do you feel about your choice to homeschool? Confident

Are your children happy to be homeschooled? 2 of the 3 are a definite yes. 1 is on the fence but this is her first year home.

What do you feel is your favorite part of the school day? least favorite? I'm not sure. We mix things up so much. It really varies.

What is your favorite part of the school year? The beginning

least favorite? Mid to late February....we are seriously dragging by that time.

What is your favorite subject to teach? Literature

Your children's favorites? DD1-History, DS-Science, DD2-Literature

How do you feel inside when you tell people you homeschool? Proud and a little smug. I know...but I'm being honest.

This exact moment in time....what are you feeling when you look back on your day (or yesterday if your day hasn't started yet)? I've been a little under the weather the last few days so not so great but last week was fantastic!

Indifferent. I don't love it, I don't hate it, it just ... is.

See above.

Yes. Their same-aged cousins attend our local schools, as do many of their friends.They have a realistic comparison of academic expectations and homeschooling hasn't hampered them socially at all.

My favorite part is discussing literature or history. My least favorite part is grading work.

My favorite part is the planning beforehand LOL. My least favorite is summer, when we do school but nobody else does.

My favorite to teach is Life Skills. It comes up in every subject, and it truly is a joy (and a pain) to mentor my children as they mature as people (moreso than as a student of any academic subject). They both love science best, despite the fact that we don't do it as a formal subject LOL. Of formal subjects, ... history.

Indifferent, I guess? It's not uncommon where I live, but we do live in a top-rated school district so people are sometimes surprised.

This exact moment in time....what are you feeling when you look back on your day (or yesterday if your day hasn't started yet)?

We school on the calendar year, February - October, so we're near wrapping up our year. We're taking this week off to visit family, and I feel relief that we're in the home stretch but mild stress that we're going to have to make up that week in November (when we typically travel). So this exact moment in time, I'm trying to reconcile my need to check off the calendar boxes versus just calling it good and wrapping up on our scheduled final school day, wherever we are in the book.

Very good.

Yes.

Yes.

Favorite: Early in the day when we sit together and read poetry aloud. As my kids get older, I love that they'll still cuddle up next to me on the couch and laugh together.

Least: Any time the kids bicker. It's usually over something ridiculously stupid.

Favorite: The beginning and the end. Hm, also Christmas.

Least: The middle. As with anything, sustaining through the long haul can be tough. I've developed a school calendar that works for us, but sometimes February is still tough.

I enjoy elementary math. It was more fun with the more naturally-apt student than the one who struggles with math. I like early Latin (material in the first year of high school Latin), history... Poetry is pretty great. :)

I don't know. Depends on the circumstance? Generally I'm happy and don't mind sharing. There are times when I wouldn't seek to bring it up for various reasons.

We took (most of) today off to celebrate a birthday. I've felt pretty good about our first 2.5 weeks this year. I've yelled once and lost my temper twice, rolled my eyes more than that... But over all, I think it's gone well.

How do you feel about your choice to homeschool? Satisfied, confident, blessed.

Are your children happy to be homeschooled? I ask them every now and then, and they always say an emphatic "YES!"

What do you feel is your favorite part of the school day? Sitting around the table as a group, each of us taking turns reading the Bible

Least favorite? No least favorite part of the day, just the need to push when my energy is low (theirs never is, LOL)

What is your favorite part of the school year? Going on family trips (short) and vacations (week-long) when everyone else is "in school" :D

Least favorite? January. I want to find a nice, warm bed and crawl in, KWIM?

What is your favorite subject to teach? All aspects of English, anything related to Bible/Christian Discipleship, Literature & Poetry (read alouds), History (read alouds), Geography, Science

Your children's favorites? Bible felt stories, Math, Geography, Spelling

How do you feel inside when you tell people you homeschool? Matter-of-fact. It's fairly well-accepted around here, but I don't care if it isn't.

Content. But then, we were on track with our school work, so we took off today and went to the aquarium and then the beach. Glorious weather, cloudless skies, bright blue ocean, warm breezes, no humidity, palm trees swaying (yes, we have those in NJ), and it was just so peaceful.

:D My husband kept saying quietly to me, "It's so great to homeschool!" :iagree:

How do you feel about your choice to homeschool? I'm very glad dh and I were brave enough to try it!

Are your children happy to be homeschooled? Yes. One (ds) is over-the-moon "I never want to go back to school" excited, and the other one (dd) is "Meh. Whatever. I like pajama pants, so I guess it's cool."

What do you feel is your favorite part of the school day? least favorite? Math is favorite with both kids. Singapore is the most fully scripted IG I have so it's easy to teach. Both kids are good at math, so no one cries about anything. Least favorite is writing. No one likes it.

What is your favorite part of the school year? least favorite? My favorite part of the school year is definitely the cold winter when I see all the neighborhood kids standing out waiting for the bus and we are warm and toasty inside doing spelling over cups of hot chocolate. I don't really have a least favorite part. Maybe summer because it's just so hodgepodge and I'm constantly worried about funding the upcoming school year.

Math is my favorite to teach. Ds's favorite subject is History, and dd's favorite subject is computer time. :glare:

How do you feel inside when you tell people you homeschool? Honestly? Nervous. People are usually pretty weird about it.

I wish I felt better so we could have gotten more done, but the subjects that we did complete went better than usual.

I feel absolutely that it's the right thing for our family.

Yes.

Usually.

My favorite part is the great discussions we have. My least favorite (right now) is my dd11's complaining about Latin and her increasingly challenging assignments now that she's in middle school.

My favorite is about a month into the new school year, when we've found our groove & everything is still fresh and exciting. My least favorite time is getting back into school after the fall/winter holidays.

My favorite is history & Bible. My dd11's favorite is history and my ds9's favorites are history, science, and math.

Sometimes excited, sometimes apprehensive. It depends on who it is I'm telling.

I'm feeling content.

How do you feel about your choice to homeschool? I know it's right, and our only good option.

Are your children happy to be homeschooled? Yes.

What do you feel is your favorite part of the school day? least favorite? Favorite: Mid-morning. It's the most productive and happy time. Least favorite: End of the day rushing, and then switching gears for evening. I wish we had longer transition times.

What is your favorite part of the school year? least favorite? Second quarter, usually. Fall weather, usually we've found our hs'ing groove, holidays coming...

What is your favorite subject to teach? Your children's favorites? I like to teach English and Religion. Kids' favorite subjects--

10th grader: Chemistry, TOG yr 2, Logic, Greek, Latin.

8th grader: Latin and History.

6th Grader: History and Science.

2nd grader: Latin and Math

Tutored student: Literature and English

How do you feel inside when you tell people you homeschool? Like I carry the burden of all their possible assumptions in that tiny moment before I see the look on their face. Weighed in the balance. I don't care what they conclude, but I don't like that feeling.

I feel proud and happy because today was a good 'accomplishing' day in our homeschool.

10th grader conquered some new Greek grammar and learned to fingerpick the guitar including the pinky, finally

8th grader got 100% on his pre-Algebra test

6th grader made the decision to join Civil Air Patrol

2nd grader memorized his Latin hymn

tutored student learned two new math concepts in one day, which is a first.

I think I'm coming down with the flu so I feel like garbage, but concerning homeschooling I'm more hopeful than I was yesterday.

How do you feel about your choice to homeschool? Good

What do you feel is your favorite part of the school day? Morning devotions and reading time. least favorite? Getting out the door for lessons and Spanish class. (FTR, lessons and Spanish are great. It's getting everything ready and getting out the door on time and relatively unfrazzled that's the challenge.)

What is your favorite part of the school year? The beginning because we're so excited to start, and spring because we spend a lot of time out of doors. least favorite? FEBRUARY. It's cold. It's rainy. We're tired.

What is your favorite subject to teach? Science and art. Your children's favorites? Science and math and art.

How do you feel inside when you tell people you homeschool? Nothing out of the ordinary. I feel the same way I feel when talking about any life choice.

This exact moment in time....what are you feeling when you look back on your day (or yesterday if your day hasn't started yet)? Good, but a little overwhelmed. Ds11 is a middle schooler and is taking an outside Spanish class and choir and is ramping up even more in his piano, so I'm grateful we got almost everything done today, but worrying about how to adjust the schedule so that we're able to keep our studies rigorous without getting overwhelmed. I know we'll figure it out, as we always do, but it's going to take a bit to settle into a good routine, I think.

Cat

Awesome. I seriously love it. Seriously. I am *that* person. :D

Yes, without a doubt

Link is thrilled and he loves it. Astro doesn't really LOVE school regardless of where he attends ;) , but he enjoys himself and does well. Pink is my only child who will never know any different. :)

Math. I love math, with both of them, so far this year. (Switching curriculum played a HUGE part in this!)

Least favorite, just getting up and getting going. I'm not a morning person so I feel like I'm dragging myself out of bed, and then just the settling that has to occur for them (since they've been awake for awhile already) til they switch into 'school mode'.

Field trips and scheduling. The end of the year when I see the progression that has been made.

Least - days when one of them struggles with something.

Me - Math

Link - Latin

Astro - Math (!!)

Content. Happy with myself and even a little proud of myself. Depending on how well I know the person, I'm sometimes also bracing myself, but comments don't really bother me. :)

Pleased. I saw progress in Astro's work and I've noticed it for several days now.

Plus, today is the last day of our week, so I'm excited for the coming weekend. :D

We just started our first year with everyone at home, so I'm going to answer these now and bookmark this for future reference.

Right now, I feel great about it. I truly think it's right for our family. :001_smile:

Yes.

Yes, for very different reasons.

So far, my favorite part is the middle of the afternoon, when the older boys are finishing up some independent work and music practice and I read with the younger ones. It's sort of the calm before the storm of neighborhood kids and evening activities.

I'm not sure yet! Last year, we began homeschooling my oldest abruptly (pulled him out on a Thursday and started homeschooling on Monday), so I haven't had a full year to go by.

I like history. Ds8 says math and Ds9 says math and history. If I had to guess for the other two, I'd say French for Ds13 and math and history for Ds11.

Depending on the situation, either a little nervous or a little excited that they might ask questions or want to talk about it.

Today was pretty special. Ds9 had a little epiphany about why he has to do schoolwork. I think we're going to have a good year. :)

It's the best for all of us. 100% commitment for 25 years now...it has become an integral part of who we are as a family. We conform to no one else's standard...we are free to grow and learn for our own benefit...not someone else's ideology/agenda.

Yes, It's been life-changing...spiritually and relationally. Too much to go into here.

Yes, overwhelmingly, most of the time. Everyone has their days.

Read-alouds are our favorite. Math is least favorite.

The beginning, and the end. :D The least favorite part?....nothing comes to mind at the moment.

Favorite? Literature and art. Kids favorite? Science, literature, and art.

Confident in our choices...no insecurities.

Reassured....peace and contentment. Not so much based on academic performance as the absolute conviction that my children are free to discover and pursue their own personal interests, develop their own convictions, and unique, authentic personalities.

Edited by Geo

How do you feel about your choice to homeschool? Pretty good. Still have moments of "I really hope I'm not short changing my son in physics by being his teacher...."

Are you happy you started homeschooling? Yep

Are your children happy to be homeschooled? Yep

Favorite is usually science, least favorite would be writing because my DS abhors it.

Favorite part of the school year - May :), least - February

Literature. My DS liked literature, and loves science.

Huh? Guess I've never noticed...

This exact moment in time....what are you feeling when you look back on your day (or yesterday if your day hasn't started yet)

Tired. Concerned that DS is still seeming to be stuck on vectors of projectiles, and worried what is book report will look like when he turns it in on Friday, missing my DH more because he is so good at physics - three more weeks of deployment left (out of 4 months gone).

Edited by SailorMom

How do you feel about your choice to homeschool? Happy, confident.

Are your children happy to be homeschooled? Yes, very much so.

What do you feel is your favorite part of the school day? least favorite? My favorite part is when the work is going smoothly and nobody is arguing. My least favorite is getting up in the morning, I tend to drag and have a hard time getting going.

What is your favorite part of the school year? least favorite? Favorite part is the beginning or whenever we start a new curriculum or level. My least favorite is in the middle of winter when it's not quite spring, we're getting a bit of cabin fever but the weather is still too grey and rainy to go outside.

What is your favorite subject to teach? Your children's favorites? My favorite varies from day to day, kid to kid. My kids' favorite is art.

How do you feel inside when you tell people you homeschool? I don't really feel any strong emotion, for us it's just a normal part of our life. We live in XXXX town, we homeschool, I drive a white van, etc.

This exact moment in time....what are you feeling when you look back on your day (or yesterday if your day hasn't started yet)? Content. We got everything done (well, WRT homeschool, dishes and laundry not so much) in a reasonable amount of time, we all enjoyed it, looking forward to tomorrow.

I've been homeschooling 10 years. My poll answer was it's just okay.

I made the best choice I could at the time. I have been thinking a lot about this lately, and wondering exactly how we would have fared if I had never heard about homeschooling.

Yes, because it was the right thing for my son. I also think it's been good for him for years.

Ds16 - yes, definitely. Dd14 - no, she decided to go to public high school this year.

Favorite: when we are reading something aloud and discussing it.

Least: when we're working on something that I don't know. Some of my son's high school classes are killing me.

We school year round and I don't have a favorite or least favorite. Each day is what it is.

I no longer have favorite subjects to teach with ds being in high school. We do the classes that are required for graduation. We no longer have much flexibility in choice. My son really enjoys History, but he's finished with them and that's depressing.

Not confident. Not even after all of these years.

We're on a break this week, but for any other day I would say relief that the school day is over.

Secure (most of the time). In a perfect world, in which we had access to and resources to support the fabulous private school I see in my imagination, we might have made a different choice. However, under the circumstances, I'm pretty sure we've done the right thing.

Absolutely. It's one of a handful of decisions that have ended up defining my life. (Others include going vegetarian and joining a Unitarian Universalist church.)

Mostly. My daughter doesn't seem to have any regrets. My son has moments of wishing things were different and that he had more time and cameraderie with other kids. But even when given the option to try school, he opted to stay home.

I really enjoy reading aloud with my son over breakfast and/or lunch. I love sharing books with him and having discussions about what we're reading.

Getting up and getting started in the morning is tough for me. I'm a morning person by nature, but my son is most definitely not. And I dread the process of getting him moving and focused.

I also dislike when we butt heads over an assignment, although (knock on wood) that is happening less often nowadays.

I love the beginning and the end of the school year. I spend a lot of time over the summer planning and dreaming about the wonderful learning we'll do that year, and that feeling lingers for the first few weeks, usually. And I love finshing up the year, assembling the portfolio and showing it off before settling it on the shelf with the others.

Edit: Ooops, I forgot to say what is my least favorite. I find it really hard to get back in the groove after the winter holidays, and I often get stressed about how far behind we are compared to where I wanted to be. Often by that time, too, assorted activities have kicked in and school has had to be squeezed in order to make room for other opportunities. Then, along comes January, and Christmas is over and the house is a mess and we have to get back to work and try and get back on track.

My favorites are literature and history, although I also like art. I'm not sure my son has a favorite subject, although I know for sure that he likes Spanish the least. His greatest strengths are in math and English.

I'm not sure I feel anything. It's just what we do.

I'm a little frustrated that my son lingered so much over his work today. He wasn't done by dinner time and only managed to finish the last thing on the list about 10 minutes ago. Mostly, though, I'm relieved that this year has been going as well as it has thus far. My son and I have had a rough couple of years up until now, and any day we get through and he has done his work and we haven't argued is a good day.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

How do you feel about your choice to homeschool? I love it.

Are you happy you started homeschooling? Absolutely.

Are your children happy to be homeschooled? Very much so.

What do you feel is your favorite part of the school day? Not having to be at work all day. :D least favorite? How unfocused I can be with getting things done around the house. I tend to kind of wander around and then rush to get everything clean an hour before DH comes home.

What is your favorite subject to teach? Your children's favorites? DS is pretty self-directed at this point so I don't really "teach" anything. His favorite subjects would be history and literature, I think though.

How do you feel inside when you tell people you homeschool? It feels like I should have always been saying it from day one and at the same time, excited that I'm finally GETTING to say it.

I wish we had done more. Today was a pretty slow day in terms of work to be done. I wish we had taken advantage of that and gone out somewhere or played a board game or just done something fun together. It was not a bad day though.

Edited by contessa20

How do you feel about your choice to homeschool? That it was most definitely the right choice.

Are you happy you started homeschooling? Absolutely.

What do you feel is your favorite part of the school day? least favorite? When we are all schooling/learning together...memory work, poetry, read alouds. Least: sometimes the juggling between 5 kids makes my head want to explode.

What is your favorite part of the school year? least favorite? I actually really enjoy when we have long, unbroken times to dig into school. I don't like when we have holidays/vacations, etc. when things feel disjointed and rushed. (Of course, I love holidays and vacations, just not from the perspective of homeschooling :lol:

What is your favorite subject to teach? Your children's favorites? My favorite: literature/poetry. My kids: 15 yo: history, 14 yo: writing, 12 yo: science, 9 yo: science, 5 yo: math.

How do you feel inside when you tell people you homeschool? Uncertain, since I have no idea what their thoughts are.

Very content. It has been a great week thus far.

:001_smile:

How do you feel about your choice to homeschool? Good

Are you happy you started homeschooling? Yes, definitely

Are your children happy to be homeschooled? Mostly, DD wants to go back to PS, but loves all the extra playtime. (She misses her friends.)

What do you feel is your favorite part of the school day? Kids sleeping in, schooling in PJ's. least favorite? When they don't want to finish, needing to cajole.

What is your favorite part of the school year? least favorite? Haven't HS'ed long enough to answer

What is your favorite subject to teach? Your children's favorites? History, I think.

How do you feel inside when you tell people you homeschool? Part of the In Crowd.

This exact moment in time....what are you feeling when you look back on your day (or yesterday if your day hasn't started yet)? Lazy mom didn't do science again today.

How do you feel about your choice to homeschool? Great.:)

Are you happy you started homeschooling? Yes!:)

What do you feel is your favorite part of the school day? least favorite? After table time.:D

What is your favorite part of the school year? least favorite? Favorite, cold months when I don't care to go outside. Least, warmer months when I want to start gardening (spring) or finishing up harvesting/canning (fall).

What is your favorite subject to teach? Your children's favorites? My favorite is history, my children's vary by whim and current interests but are in the content areas. No one here prefers the skill subjects especially math.:tongue_smilie:

How do you feel inside when you tell people you homeschool? Even after 11 years I can feel intimidated, I hate confrontation and try to avoid but really I've never had a person react horribly.

This exact moment in time....what are you feeling when you look back on your day (or yesterday if your day hasn't started yet)? It's been a good day, could of been more productive but I always say that.:tongue_smilie:

:)

Positive

Yes

Yes. They are thrilled so far.

My favorite part would be Bible, which we do over breakfast. I really enjoy waking up and having that time together as a family. I also enjoy Science because we will normally curl up together on the sofa together.

Since this is our first year, I don't have enough experience to accurately answer this.

My favorite to teach and their favorite to learn, so far, has been Science.

I am very proud of our decision. I love it when we're out in public during the day and people give me funny looks or ask questions.

We had our first 'rough day' today. Although it was difficult, I am optimistic and still look forward to tomorrow.

How do you feel about your choice to homeschool? Right now, I'm one of the 2 that said "wish we didn't." :( I'm just feeling very overwhelmed right now. We are reluctant hs'ers, ds is gifted, possibly 2E with food allergies, so this is the best option for him.

Are you happy you started homeschooling? See above

Are your children happy to be homeschooled? He loves it.

What do you feel is your favorite part of the school day? least favorite? Best part is when we do fun activities, least is handwriting.

What is your favorite part of the school year? least favorite? Hmmm, we've only been hs'ing since last year, so I can't answer that.

What is your favorite subject to teach? Your children's favorites? I like teaching math, ds likes history.

How do you feel inside when you tell people you homeschool? Honestly, embarrassed. Idk why. I act confident though, I'm good at that. :)

This exact moment in time....what are you feeling when you look back on your day (or yesterday if your day hasn't started yet)? Unfinished.

Sorry to be a downer! I didn't read the other replies, but I'm guessing by the mini poll above, I'm alone.

Really, I think I'd like it a lot more if I didn't have two 2 yo to deal with. Thy do not play independently at all, and every project I try with them ends in chaos.

I think I'll get into a groove and things will be fine, I just need to get there.

Great

Yes. I am very thankful that we started homeschooling in the beginning and that it was in my plans before the boys were school aged.

I asked both of them and they said yes. I will admit that I was surprised by their answer because they usually say they "hate homeschool." They say this because they would rather have a full day of free playing than do anything else. They have no desire to go to school full time.

Favorite - When everything is running smoothly and everyone has a nice attitude. Least - when children are having melt downs.

No preference.

DS1 seems to like grammar, phonics, spelling and reading the best. DS2 likes math.

My gut reaction is that I feel I am being judged and wonder what the other person is thinking.

We had a pretty great day today so I am feeling pretty happy. :)

How do you feel about your choice to homeschool? Not great but ok most days, because it's important to my husband.

Are you happy you started homeschooling? Years ago "Yes" but with kids doing middle/highschool work and a tot most days I am not so happy.

Are your children happy to be homeschooled? They love it, except for the work that doesn't come easy to them.

What do you feel is your favorite part of the school day? least favorite? Reading Aloud. Just sitting and waiting for them to complete their independent work.

What is your favorite part of the school year? least favorite? The beginning if I have everything planned in advanced. The ending around testing time between March-July, I never feel we have done enough or that the scores are good enough.

What is your favorite subject to teach? Your children's favorites? History. Science that is textbookish (so we have given it up).

How do you feel inside when you tell people you homeschool? I feel like a hypocrite cause it's not my conviction and sometimes I think it's no the best for my me, my kids or my husband's business. I also feel when I get weird or dirty looks that I am less then human and some freak.

This exact moment in time....what are you feeling when you look back on your day (or yesterday if your day hasn't started yet)? We are doing good and I am really glad we are skipping middle school work for math and jumping to highschool and that my husband is teaching 2 mornings a week/watching our tot while I work.

How do you feel about your choice to homeschool? I feel ok most days.. others not so great.

Are you happy you started homeschooling? No/yes

What do you feel is your favorite part of the school day?-sleeping in

least favorite? The end of our school day :)

What is your favorite part of the school year? Days off

least favorite? days on... I see a trend.....

What is your favorite subject to teach? Phonics/Art

Your children's favorites?Math

This exact moment in time....what are you feeling when you look back on your day (or yesterday if your day hasn't started yet)? accomplished

We are only 3 days in and it's our first year. We will homeschool and reeval each year. There are some days that planning overwhelms me and I don't feel qualified to teach certain aspects which overwhelms me. Im hoping when we get in out groove things will improve..... Im chalking all of it up to newbie anxiety :)

How do you feel about your choice to homeschool? I'm fairly satisfied that it was the best choice for us.

Are your children happy to be homeschooled? Most times.

What do you feel is your favorite part of the school day? least favorite? It depends on the day. I struggle a little with feeling sluggish in the mornings so I tend to appreciate the late morning work the best.

What is your favorite part of the school year? least favorite? My favorite part of the school year is September. Everything is new and exciting at that point. My least favorite is February. I hate winter already, and by then we're all tired of the cold, snow and school books.

What is your favorite subject to teach? Your children's favorites? I enjoy all of them except math. I don't usually mind math, but if I'm frustrated that's usually the subject we're working on. Dd's favorite subject is history, ds 8 likes science best, and ds 5 likes math and reading.

How do you feel inside when you tell people you homeschool? Depends on the person. With some people I feel automatically defensive, with others it's just another fact about our family. It's more commonly the latter rather than the former.

This exact moment in time....what are you feeling when you look back on your day (or yesterday if your day hasn't started yet)? I've been really sick the last couple days so looking back on my day makes me feel like I'm watching a poorly made horror movie, but I'm rather pleased that school hasn't slowed down despite the fact I can't stand upright. (poor kids).

Homeschooling is definitely not something I regret. It has been challenging for me to make sure my kids are involved in things outside the house as I'm a borderline hermit, but I think that overall, the experience has caused us all to become better, healthier people.

I'm happy a lot of the time and unhappy some of the time. The unhappiness isn't to do with homeschooling per se, more about feeling that I'm not doing it adequately. It's also about the lack of choice I feel. Our decision to homeschool was more or less made for the simple reason that the school system can't cater for our family. I would like to feel that school is a viable option, even if I didn't want to avail myself of it, kwim?

Mr 9 has an abiding but irrational horror of school, imagining it as some kind of torture chamber. The girls don't feel as strongly; they just dislike the idea of school in imitation. None of them has ever done school so they're talking out their armpits ;)

My favorite part of the day is at the end of a good day when the kids are all asleep and I feel as though I've done a good job with them. We do relaxed schooling year-round, so the only difference year-wise is the things that are seasonal.

I like everything, except when the kids don't want to do it!

Mr 9 claims to "hate" schoolwork, but actually enjoys anything that doesn't entail much writing, once he gets started.

Ms 7 likes art, writing and history the most.

Ms 4 loves it all, and gets upset if I tell her she can't do any more school for the day.

Ambivalent, and dependent on the person I'm telling.

Mediocre lol

Edited by Hotdrink

How do you feel about your choice to homeschool? Positive

Are your children happy to be homeschooled? Very much so

What do you feel is your favorite part of the school day? when my ds makes breakfast....Home Ec!

least favorite? when I have to listen to whining

What is your favorite part of the school year? winter and we can do lessons outside

least favorite? summer and others are vacationing and we're not

What is your favorite subject to teach? Science

Your children's favorites? oldest ds science, middle ds grammar

How do you feel inside when you tell people you homeschool? dread because I then usually have to fend off the responses and pass the bean dip

This exact moment in time....what are you feeling when you look back on your day (or yesterday if your day hasn't started yet)? Today was a fun field trip. Most days I think back and go over what I could/should have done better....that usually is tied to my (lack of) patience.

resigned ;) It is the best choice for the child I'm schooling (over the years, that has always been the answer, no matter the year or the child)

yep - it was the best choice possible for my ds and saved him

yep

snuggling up with them before school is the favorite. making them get busy when they don't want to is the least

summer

literature (not reading, but literature) the kids usually like art the best

umm - like I told them a truth - am I suppsoed to feel something?

This exact moment in time....what are you feeling when you look back on your day (or yesterday if your day hasn't started yet)? can I look back on yesterday instead of today? today was an abysmal failure with school - she played all day and I worked all day. We both had a great day, but not a schooly day. We have great days most days

Edited by Karen in CO

How do you feel about your choice to homeschool? Great, and grateful to have the opportunity. :001_smile:

Are your children happy to be homeschooled?Yes

What do you feel is your favorite part of the school day? least favorite?Favorite - reading aloud with my kids. Least favorite - when everybody needs me at once, and my boys are pestering each other (again).

What is your favorite part of the school year? least favorite?Favorite - November, maybe, once we get going with everything and have settled into a good routine. Least favorite - February....groan.

What is your favorite subject to teach? Your children's favorites?I love to teach science. My kids all love math (silly kids, obviously influenced heavily by their father's genes!)

How do you feel inside when you tell people you homeschool? Most of the time - confident. Occasionally, apprehensive about possible responses.

This exact moment in time....what are you feeling when you look back on your day (or yesterday if your day hasn't started yet)? Welllll.....I still have a lot of work to do to get everything up and running for all four students, and we've had a lot of other non-school stuff going on the past couple of weeks. So I'd say overwhelmed, at this point. The good news is that I was able to clean & organize our school area this summer, so when I go downstairs (school area is in the basement), I don't feel completely overwhelmed by a mess, and I'm happy to see everything I put on the walls! One step at a time, we'll get there!

Good and confident most days.

Yes!

Yes!

What do you feel is your favorite part of the school day?

When everyone is excited and cooperating.

least favorite?

Getting everyone to focus.

What is your favorite part of the school year?

Field Trips!

least favorite?

Week 6 before our break and then week 1 when we have to get back into the swing again.

What is your favorite subject to teach?

Math because I think it's really important.

Your children's favorites?

Art or any subject with art-like activities.

Proud!

Yesterday was a very productive school day. Today started out with a dr appt then a 2 hour visit to chicfila for some much need social play time with other kids. Then we came home, played outside and visited an elderly neighbor. I feel both days were valuable experiences for my children.

How do you feel about your choice to homeschool? One of the best things we ever did for our family, second only to accepting Christ.

Are you happy you started homeschooling? Yes; still can't believe we did, but it's been over ten years.

Are your children happy to be homeschooled? 17yodd has been for the most part, although expressed desire in middle school to go to ps. 14 yods has always been glad to be hsed.

What do you feel is your favorite part of the school day? least favorite? When we are talking (favorite). When we bicker (least).

How do you feel inside when you tell people you homeschool? Several years ago, I tired of telling people. Inside, I think, "Oh, please don't tell me my kids need to be socialized."

This exact moment in time....what are you feeling when you look back on your day (or yesterday if your day hasn't started yet)? I worked today, got home at 6:40. I'm thankful we can still homeschool while I work part time, and I'm glad ds in in Jann's math class, and I'm glad dd is still up, sitting on the couch and laughing at something she wrote. :001_wub:

How do you feel about your choice to homeschool? Very positive. I feel confident that I'm doing what is best for my dc, not only in the academic sense but for other aspects such as spirituality, morals, character...I could go on.

Are you happy you started homeschooling? Even on the hard days I don't regret my decision.

Are your children happy to be homeschooled?So they say! I ask them twice a year if they want to go to ps and the answer is always a resounding NO.

What do you feel is your favorite part of the school day? Mornings. The olders get right to work, I start a read aloud with the youngers, and then we spend several hours focusing on the core of our academics. This is we are the most productive.

least favorite?After lunch. It's just hard to get refocused after lunch. This is when I do the hard subjects with the olders too.

What is your favorite part of the school year?July, when we are just starting our new year. Everyone is fresh and eager to get going.

least favorite?Not any one specific time, just those times when we are close to a break. We are a bit burnt out and pushing to finish up those last few days before taking some time off.

What is your favorite subject to teach? I'm loving teaching writing this year. I also like teaching math and grammar.

Your children's favorites?Dd14-math and Latin, dd13-Japanese, dd9-math, science, Latin and writing, ds6-science and math

How do you feel inside when you tell people you homeschool? Depends on who I'm telling. Mostly I just feel matter of fact about it, but sometimes, when who I've told starts gushing about how they couldn't do it and how I must be super woman, I feel embarrassed. That hasn't anything to do with homeschooling though...it's embarrassing that they have a misconception of my life.

This exact moment in time....what are you feeling when you look back on your day (or yesterday if your day hasn't started yet)?Really good actually, which isn't usually how I feel on a Wed. The oldest 3 have horse riding on Wed. morning and ds goes to a friend's to do school with her son. Usually when we get back and have lunch no one wants to start up with any schoolwork. Including me.:tongue_smilie: Today though, I was insistent, up beat and positive, and once we got started everyone focused and completed everything on their lists.:D. On a more introspective level I'm reminded that I set the tone for our days.

Satisfied.

Very much so, yes.

My guys realize there are pros and cons to any lifestyle choice. They're content with homeschooling until the teen years or so, but by high school they're ready to move beyond it.

My favorite part of the day is curling up on the couch together, reading history and literature. My least favorite part of the day varies depending on the day.

I'm good with it all except the tail end.

I love to share history together, but aside from that, I can't say I have subjects I always like better or worse. I think the same is true for my guys. It can vary.

I don't "feel" anything in particular. If it comes up in conversation, I'm just mentioning it in a matter-of-fact manner.

Well, today school took the form of hosting a private tour for several dozen buyers from the Seattle area. Given that it was our second significant farm tour in the past few days, I'm feeling pretty ding dang tired ~ and proud of my younger guys (my three who are still homeschooled) as they're so knowledgable, outgoing, and helpful along the way.:)

How do you feel about your choice to homeschool? It has always been the best choice for my family. We have no regrets.

Are your children happy to be homeschooled? They tell me that they are. They have never asked to go to school or fantasized about it. If asked, by anyone, they have always stated that they are not interested in attending any school until college.

What do you feel is your favorite part of the school day? least favorite? My favorite part is when something just "clicks", and I can see it in their eyes. It's hard to describe, but I love it. My least favorite is when nothing seems to go right, and their confidence gets shattered.

What is your favorite part of the school year? least favorite? The beginning of each semester, last day, and summer planning. Everything is fresh and exciting. My least favorite is flu season and February. There is just something about February.

What is your favorite subject to teach? Your children's favorites? I don't have one favorite. I really enjoy teaching everything (Math probably my least favorite). The children enjoy Science, Geography, and History (one really likes Math).

How do you feel inside when you tell people you homeschool? I don't really feel one way or another. I've been doing it so long. If it is someone new, I internally brace myself for any possible negative feedback. I do not act as if I expect it, but I am prepared. There were only a few families in my region who homeschooled when I started. I've endured a lot of negative feedback over the years. It rarely happens now. It doesn't phase me, but I like to be mentally ready for it. Sometimes I just smile and walk away, but other times I address their response.

This exact moment in time....what are you feeling when you look back on your day (or yesterday if your day hasn't started yet)? I'm thinking that I really, really need to unpack more boxes and get the school area painted (we haven't started yet).

My responses are within the quote.

How do you feel about your choice to homeschool? Well, I don't feel I had a choice. I have one who would certainly not fit a school environment. I know this as a former PS teacher. I do worry I'm failing them. But I do that in all parenting areas and not just schooling.

Are you happy you started homeschooling? I think so. I can't imagine not doing it at this point.

Are your children happy to be homeschooled? Well, both say they are and don't want to go to school. However, we just moved and one child is feeling a bit isolated I think given we haven't made any friends. The other asks a lot of questions lately about what happens at school. I hope that one doesn't someday resent that he were homeschooled and think he missed something wonderful. I know they aren't but I've got one who tends toward grass is greener thinking. He's the one who would not do well in a school environment.

What do you feel is your favorite part of the school day? When I've planned something and they are enjoying it. Mostly science, history or similar here but sometimes I hit a home run in another subject and those feel especially good. least favorite? Math. Especially math with my my math hating ADHD kid.

What is your favorite part of the school year? I really enjoy the planning going into a new subject/year. least favorite? Starting up after a break is difficult sometimes. I don't dislike any particular part of the year.

What is your favorite subject to teach? Science Your children's favorites? Science

How do you feel inside when you tell people you homeschool? It depends on the person. Sometimes I hope the person doesn't think I'm judging schools or their choice to school. Sometimes I hope they aren't sizing us up and deciding we're the weird sort of homeschoolers or my kids are unsocialized because of it (one is autism spectrum). There are a lot more homeschoolers in our new area so that helps. I no longer feel like we may be the only homeschoolers the person knows. Sometimes I wonder if people are thinking I'm doing it to over-protect my kids. It really does depend on the situation and person.

This exact moment in time....what are you feeling when you look back on your day (or yesterday if your day hasn't started yet)? "That went pretty well" is my over-all feeling about today. That is not true every day or moment though.

Edited by sbgrace

How do you feel about your choice to homeschool? excellent, confident it's the best fit for us right now

Are you happy you started homeschooling? yep!

Are your children happy to be home schooled? they don't much care

What do you feel is your favorite part of the school day? least favorite? reading aloud is favorite, anything seat work is least favorite

What is your favorite part of the school year? least favorite? first year, so no real experience yet

What is your favorite subject to teach? Your children's favorites? AAR pre-level for all of us

How do you feel inside when you tell people you homeschool? hesitant. I'm new, and I am still figuring out my favorite answers to the stock questions that HSers get

This exact moment in time....what are you feeling when you look back on your day (or yesterday if your day hasn't started yet)? tired, LOL

Fortunate

Yes

Yes. They got a taste of ps recently and did not like it one bit.

Fav = read together

Least = language practice

No fav or least fav season

Me = history

Kids = music

If I am in a hurry, I will avoid the question b/c followup usually takes a long time. If not in a hurry, I basically feel like a good citizen.

How it could be done better. Pitfalls to avoid. All tactical stuff. No time for warm fuzzies right now.

How do you feel about your choice to homeschool? Committed.

What do you feel is your favorite part of the school day? least favorite? Morning is our favorite time. Least favorite for me is around three pm, least favorite for the boys is around 10 am when math comes around.

What is your favorite part of the school year? least favorite? My favorite time is when my new books arrive. Least favorite is the end of the spring quarter when I have to start planning for the next year. Seriously. The planning drives me nuts.

What is your favorite subject to teach? Your children's favorites? Science. Science.

How do you feel inside when you tell people you homeschool? I get ready to be defiant. In general people are polite, though. So I've not needed to defend myself.

This exact moment in time....what are you feeling when you look back on your day (or yesterday if your day hasn't started yet)? Feeling resolved to do battle. Math is up next.:D

Mostly happy, definitely that it's the right choice for our family.

Yes.

Yes, mostly. My son "hates school" but definitely does not want to go to public school so he's happy to be home.

Any time the kids are working nicely is my favorite. Anytime with whining and arguing is my least favorite.

Favorite: Fall and Spring. Beautiful weather, lots of outdoor time, lots of field trips.

Least: Summer when it's too hot and there aren't as many opportunities to do things since everything except summer camp stops around here.

I love Science and so do my kids.

Mostly fine. I have no problem with my decision and our reasons aren't negative to the schools so I don't usually get defensiveness in return. I've never gotten a negative reaction except from family.

From a school perspective - we didn't do any yesterday. We picked dh up from the airport after he spent 12 days in China so that was very nice.

How do you feel about your choice to homeschool? I am very satisfied we are doing the right thing.

Are you happy you started homeschooling? Yes, it has been one of the best parental decisions we've made.

Are your children happy to be homeschooled? Most days the kids are glad we homeschool. Occasionally they suffer from "greener grass" syndrome, but we can usually work that out by talking through their expectations of what public school would look like.

What do you feel is your favorite part of the school day? least favorite? My favorite part of each day is our book basket time. Although I really love the couple of days a week when they get engaged in some topic and spread out across the floor with every book we have trying to learn more. My least favorite time of day is the 20 minutes before DH comes home. It is when they seem to all loose their minds.

What is your favorite part of the school year? least favorite? We school year round, so February and November are my two favorite months because we are fully in the groove for both. The summer is my least favorite because we add so many extra activities and I always end up feeling overloaded.

What is your favorite subject to teach? Your children's favorites? I love them all except spelling/phonics. The kids all love science and history, Punk loves literature and computers, Sister loves literature and math, and Bug loves throwing his body into the wall repeatedly. :D (I am sure we will figure out what makes him tick one of these days!)

How do you feel inside when you tell people you homeschool? It really depends on the situation. If they are asking in a way that you already know their bias is against homeschooling, I answer cautiously with my very best "bean dip" response. (And feel a little apprehensive because I do not want a debate.) If it comes up from me first I am just matter-of-fact with it. This is our life and our choice, no big deal, I do not even skip a beat inside or out.

This exact moment in time....what are you feeling when you look back on your day (or yesterday if your day hasn't started yet)? I feel immensely satisfied and content. My child that was behind in many skill subjects, (due to SPD-like issues), is now ahead or on level with all but writing. My child with speech issues has jumped all the hurdles and is speaking clearly and reading everything she can put her hands on. My last speech delayed child is making great progress, and I have enough experience under my belt to not freak out about his timetable of learning. We may not look like what I once envisioned, but we are meeting our children's educational needs and that was the goal all along.

:001_smile:

Edited by BLA5

How do you feel about your choice to homeschool? Overall positive. This is our 15th year as far as I count it, 13th as far as all those "haters" ;) who think homeschooling is only done during "typical schooling ages." Sometimes I am tired

Are you happy you started homeschooling? Absolutely. I really couldn't imagine our family any other way. We have always homeschooled.

Are your children happy to be homeschooled? For the most part, yes. None of them have ever asked to go to school and they react with alarm if I muse about taking a break and sending them to school:).

What do you feel is your favorite part of the school day? When we can sit down together and discuss things. My kids are so independent now, that the discussions are what I look forward to. least favorite? Nagging my 16yo about important things that may not be urgent yet. He has a jam-packed year and I am worried about him falling behind.

What is your favorite part of the school year? Near the beginning, after I have more or less finished planning, but everything is still fresh and new. Then next favorite is spring - because everything is better in the sprintime:). least favorite? Winter doldrums when everyone seems worn out and beaten down. Could be my Seasonal Affective Disorder rearing its ugly head. Also, late spring when we should be almost done and I realize how much is left to complete and how I will not have a fun summer.

What is your favorite subject to teach? For the younger ages - science. We all love the wizz bang experiments and just wonder about the world. For the older ones, literature and history because they spark great discussions where I get to know my kids all over again as they grow into adulthood. Your children's favorites? Dd loves literature - reading everything and anything. I am not sure what ds loves. He loves math, but he is frustrated with AoPS right now. It is hard and he is not feeling successful, even though he is doing fine.

How do you feel inside when you tell people you homeschool? Proud. I like what we do. I like how it has shaped our family. And I like our life (unless I am PMSing, then nothing will make me happy.)

This exact moment in time....what are you feeling when you look back on your day (or yesterday if your day hasn't started yet)? YIKES. Too much to do and not enough ME to do it.

How do you feel about your choice to homeschool? Satisfied.

Are you happy you started homeschooling? Yes, it was the best option for us and is a very interesting lifestyle.

Are your children happy to be homeschooled? Yes. They love the freedom to explore and the option of doing extracurriculars during the day.

Favorite: Read alouds in the evening.

Least favorite: Early morning--I'm not a morning person anymore.

Favorite: Fall and Spring b/c we can incorporate so many outside activities into our days, or even just do some of our school work outdoors.

Least favorite: LAte winter, early spring b/c we are going stir crazy being cooped up in the house!

Me: Literary analysis b/c it is easy for me.

Ds: History, he finds the endless variety of human feats and foibles fascinating.

Dd: Writing

Like they are thinking "Where is your jumper?" or "But how will they have friends?"

Thankful that Ds & Dd were able to go to their dog training classes this morning and proud of all the hard work they are doing with their dogs. Glad that we can arrange our day to accommodate the excellent teaching they receive from their trainer. Amused at the discussions our read aloud of Pride & Prejudice is sparking. Happy that my Dc are so interested in and excited about all the variety of learning life has to offer.

ETA: I've also been amazed during the past couple of days at the improvement in maturity level and focus I see this year, and the fact that math seems to be starting off great for both Dc.

(I did so well on that test. Now just don't ask me how I feel about tomorrow or next week when we ramp up to full schedule.....or about tonight's dinner.....Or about the crazy idea I had yesterday to scrap some of our plans to accommodate interest in a completely different historical time period than the study I have planned! Thankfully, I have come to my senses...I think.)

Edited by shanvan

How do you feel about your choice to homeschool? Fantastic!

Are your children happy to be homeschooled? They love it!

What do you feel is your favorite part of the school day? least favorite? Favorite, "together work." Least favorite, very first thing in the morning.

What is your favorite part of the school year? least favorite? Favorite, fall. Least favorite, late May when I just want to be DONE with everything.

What is your favorite subject to teach? Your children's favorites? Together work for both. Rebecca loves any art/craft/experiment thing.

How do you feel inside when you tell people you homeschool? Nervous, though I've never received a negative reaction (in person). :tongue_smilie:

This exact moment in time....what are you feeling when you look back on your day (or yesterday if your day hasn't started yet)? Tired!

How do you feel about your choice to homeschool? Ok

Are you happy you started homeschooling? In a lot of ways yes

Are your children happy to be homeschooled? Yeah they like being home

What do you feel is your favorite part of the school day? least favorite? Don't have a fave....or least fave

What is your favorite part of the school year? least favorite? Can't think of one

What is your favorite subject to teach? Your children's favorites? I guess I like science and language arts...my son likes science and some history

How do you feel inside when you tell people you homeschool? Not good...I get embarressed

This exact moment in time....what are you feeling when you look back on your day (or yesterday if your day hasn't started yet)? Today is a work day for me....tonight we will do school since I didn't get it finished yesterday. I have to run errands after I get off at 7, then get home and do school and tend to a sick cat, and try to do my own homework.