Menu

Indoor temperature, air conditioning, and guests.

What would you do about the temperature in the house?  

1. 1. What would you do about the temperature in the house?

• I'd adjust the temperature (please indicate what setting in the comments)
    • I'd keep the temp where it usually is.
    • Other/cupcake

We have a teenage houseguest from southern CA who continues to comment about our house being cold. We tend to keep the house somewhere between 75-79 degrees. Frankly, the comments seem rude to me, but I guess I'm wondering what other people would do in my place?

Edited by Julie in CA

We keep our house warmer than others- 80-83 (although it is warmer in the great room due to the layout) but I do turn it down when others visit to make them a bit more comfortable. I'm often cold at other's houses but I try to shiver quietly.

eta I also try to turn up our thermostat in the winter as we generally keep it cooler than others. For either season I might not set it exactly as high or low as other people do but try to find a nice spot in the middle.

Edited by soror

I would be hot in your house. LOL. I have had people complain and ask if they cut could the A/C off in my house b/c they were cold, but I doubt I would be allowed to make it colder in someone else's house.

My thinking is, you can always dress warmer or use a blanket, but only take so much off. I really get annoyed in the winter when I finally get to wear cute sweaters, but houses are too hot to wear them in.

So, I would never say anything about being too hot, but it does affect how much I want to visit the person.

I'd keep the temp where it is and offer the guest a sweatshirt and blanket. I don't think you have to make your whole family uncomfortable. We keep our a/c at 78 but the way our house is the temp inside usually gets to low 80's. I often carry a sweater or sweatshirt when going out because I know other places will be a bit cooler and I get chilled easily.

I used to have some friends who would keep their a/c cold and then put on a sweatshirt in the house. :confused:

I'd keep the temp where it is and offer the guest a sweatshirt and blanket. I don't think you have to make your whole family uncomfortable. We keep our a/c at 78 but the way our house is the temp inside usually gets to low 80's. I often carry a sweater or sweatshirt when going out because I know other places will be a bit cooler and I get chilled easily.

I used to have some friends who would keep their a/c cold and then put on a sweatshirt in the house. :confused:

I have done this on rainy days because the humidity bothers me. Also, our house is very small, and when the A/C turns off, it gets humid and warm quickly, but when the A/C runs, it gets cold quickly.

I also crank the A/C down when I workout which leaves my family cold.

Finally, if we don't set the house cold in the morning, it cannot keep up with the heat when the sun is on the west-side of our house.

I would adjust it slightly and maybe bump it up a degree or two. Sometimes it only takes a little adjustment to make a big difference. I am freezing at my MIL's and many people's houses. I like to keep the thermostat set on about 77 in the summer. My MIL keeps it below 72. Brrrr. I have learned to bring extra sweaters and jackets year round when we visit her house and this allows me to be comfortable. At other houses where I'm unexpectedly freezing, I cannot help my shivering and gooosebumps and people will often offer me one of their sweaters. I am usually very grateful and it makes the rest of my stay much more pleasant. Have you suggested he put on a sweater?

At my house, my MIL is sweating. She is very uncomfortable. Sometimes I will find she has adjusted the temperature well below what I like and I find myself freezing. Usually, if she's just here for a few days, I will ignore it and let her keep it where she set it. I'd rather put on a sweater than watch her take layers off! If she were staying for an extended trip, then we would set it somewhere in the middle. I don't think the comments from your house guest are necessarily rude- he probably doesn't realize how often he is complaining and it really is constantly uncomfortable to be cold.

I never thought of this; might have to try it because that's a problem with our house, too. Thanks.

It also helped putting in new windows and room-darkening blinds. The west-side of our house has a huge window, and we were losing so much air with the old window. We replace one window a year. When the sun passes over the tree-line, we open the blinds again.

I also limit my use of the oven on hot days (days in high 90's). It raises our living room temperature by four degrees.

I really cannot help being so hot-natured. I have been this way my whole life. I also have hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating). When we visit my MIL, we always get a hotel room b/c I just cannot stand sleeping in such a hot house. My FIL is always cold, but he never moves from his chair. :tongue_smilie: My MIL won't turn the A/C on until it is over 90 degrees out, and my FIL is still wearing a sweater. I realize they cannot help their temperature too, but our family (not just I) is always so hot at their house.

but it does affect how much I want to visit the person.

True.

My dh has difficulty adapting to temperatures due to a medical condition. I am almost always cold in our house, while he is almost always uncomfortably hot--73 during the summer day, 68 at night. In winter, we keep the heat at 68 during the day, 63 at night. I layer, use blankets, even in summer in the evening.

hi julie -

we're being slowly char-broiled here in SoCal. i can't remember the last day below 100, although i'm sure there must have been one.....

are they sleeping near where a heating duct is, so that cold air is being blown on them? moving a bed might help?

other than that, the offer of a fleece jacket should suffice. "honey, i'm sorry you're cold. here's a fleece for you to wear when you need it."

fwiw,

ann

hi julie -

we're being slowly char-broiled here in SoCal. i can't remember the last day below 100, although i'm sure there must have been one.....

108 degrees here yesterday. Dh works at hard physical labor in the heat all day, and is really glad when he gets home to 76 degrees! The guest is a 14 yo girl, and I wish that I had more kind thoughts about this. The room where she's sleeping is at least 78 at night, and there are plenty of blankets available. During the day, she could go outside to warm up, couldn't she? :confused: I wish I were nicer...:glare:

IME, teenage girls are always "freeeeezing!" unless they are "soooo hot!" :001_rolleyes:

I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you are offering her a sweater or blanket, you are doing enough. I keep my ac at exactly what yours is set at because that's what my dh prefers, and I'm cold half the time. I have a sweater on right now. If your guest really is miserable, she can go warm up outside. It may seem rude from a hostess point of view but I think what you're doing is reasonable. It's not like you have your ac set on 60 degrees like some stores and hotel rooms I've been in. :glare:

I would adjust it slightly and maybe bump it up a degree or two. Sometimes it only takes a little adjustment to make a big difference. I am freezing at my MIL's and many people's houses. I like to keep the thermostat set on about 77 in the summer. My MIL keeps it below 72. Brrrr. I have learned to bring extra sweaters and jackets year round when we visit her house and this allows me to be comfortable. At other houses where I'm unexpectedly freezing, I cannot help my shivering and gooosebumps and people will often offer me one of their sweaters. I am usually very grateful and it makes the rest of my stay much more pleasant. Have you suggested he put on a sweater?

At work they keep our offices at 72. (And that's a compromise position. They'd rather keep it at 68. I'd rather have it at 75! 72 is the lowest I can go and be comfortable with a light sweater, which I keep at work and wear even when the outside temps are 100+!)

I have no idea what the humidity is like where you live, but if I kept our temp set at 75 in the summer, we'd all be lolling on the floor with our tongues hanging out, dying of heat. I keep ours at 72, just to keep the humidity down.

I think your guest needs to get some body fat or something if he/she is cold at those temps.

If you'd said you usually keep it at 65, my answer might have been different, but I said I'd keep it the same. 75-79 is a very reasonable summer temperature; your guest is the one who's weird, so s/he is the one who should adapt :tongue_smilie:

:iagree:

is the teen girl really thin? My dd is 17 and weighs 88 (very petite in height also) anyway she is always cold when in extended family houses that have central air. In our house we don't have ac, just ceiling fans and lots of open windows so she has not grown up used to central air. She knows that she will be cold when we go visit family so she just dresses warm and takes a hoodie. Offer your guest a sweatshirt and have her wear long pants and socks, she will survive. My dd never tells people that she is cold in their house, she just makes sure she dresses warmly.

I don't think the comments are "rude." Your guest should be made comfortable. If adjusting the temperature would make the rest of you uncomfortable, offer sweatshirts, blankets, a cup of hot chocolate etc.

:iagree:If grandma complained of being cold, I think most people would be gracious and wouldn't dwell on it, no matter how she worded it. Just cheerily offer a sweatshirt.

I don't think the comments are rude at all. Now if she was just there for the afternoon, maybe, but staying with you, no. I've asked my folks when visiting to turn their ac up or down depending on the situation. They live in AZ and are used to heat.

Is she cold in every room or just the room she is sleeping in? Surprisingly my son's room is a consistent 7 or 8 degrees cooler than the rest of the house. He has a digital thermometer in there and when the rest of the house is at 77, his room is at 70. He keeps his door closed all the time as well. Like someone else said, if she is rail thin or from another state and used to a different temperature and humidity, then she probably just needs to wear a sweater or sweats. No need to adjust the temp unless the rest of your family is complaining.

Edited by Mytwoblessings
edited to add

I think it's important to be sensitive to a guest's needs, but in this case, your family would bake if you raised the temperature to over 80 degrees just to make her happy.

Let her wear a sweater or hand her a Snuggie and be done with it. I can't imagine that her own home is perpetually warmer than 80 degrees, so I can't help but wonder if this girl just likes to have something to complain about.

As it is, I was going to suggest that you lower the temperature -- 75 degrees is too hot for me! :D

I would consider that a rather warm temp. so I wouldn't raise it anymore. Offer her a sweater, hoodie or blanket and apologize for the inconvience. The only reason I would offer the apology is because I find getting even a little chilled painful.

On the other hand, if you have a middle age woman visit and she is too hot (due to hot flashes), then you should probably turn the temp. down a bit because there is only so much clothing you can take off and still be considered an acceptable guest.

We have a teenage houseguest from southern CA who continues to comment about our house being cold. We tend to keep the house somewhere between 75-79 degrees. Frankly, the comments seem rude to me, but I guess I'm wondering what other people would do in my place?

I would be gasping for air at that temperature and silently begging you to turn it down so I could breathe (or leaving early).

I can't believe anyone thinks that is "cold". Where is this kid from...the middle of the Sahara Desert?

No, I would not turn it up past 80! Yikes! Kid can put on a sweater!

I voted for adjusting; I'd be cold at that temp. When it's over 110 on a daily basis, anything under 80 inside is just plain cold. :tongue_smilie:

Realistically, if this was a neighborhood kid who visited during the daytime, I'd hand them a sweater. If they were an overnight guest for multiple nights, I'd probably adjust it a smidgeon in their direction.

I've been tempted to carry a sweater just to go to the post office and particular grocery stores this time of year. By the time I get through the line I've adjusted to the coldness, and stepping outside feels like walking into a blanket of pins. (No, I didn't blindly stumble into the cacti. :P)

I voted for adjusting; I'd be cold at that temp. When it's over 110 on a daily basis, anything under 80 inside is just plain cold. :tongue_smilie:

Realistically, if this was a neighborhood kid who visited during the daytime, I'd hand them a sweater. If they were an overnight guest for multiple nights, I'd probably adjust it a smidgeon in their direction.

I've been tempted to carry a sweater just to go to the post office and particular grocery stores this time of year. By the time I get through the line I've adjusted to the coldness, and stepping outside feels like walking into a blanket of pins. (No, I didn't blindly stumble into the cacti. :P)

:iagree: I do carry a sweater to go some places in 100 degree weather, like the mall and chirch. Anything below 79 and I am freezing lol. I would expect my kids to bring clothing in anticipation of freezing temps in the home of others, because most people keep their home cooler than we do. If I invited a guest to my house who was spending the night, then I would ask if the temp was ok and try to meet them in the middle. Basically no matter which side of the situation I was on I would try to make the best of it and work with the other party.

We spent some time with my BIL & SIL who keep their thermostat at around 80 during the summer. I was dying from the heat! I couldn't even sleep at night because I was so stinkin hot. I voted that I would adjust the temperature to help any guests in my home.

However, to a rude teenager, I would just tell her to put on a sweater if she is so darn cold!

teenager. how are they dressed? how long have they been in your area? humidity can make a difference in how the temperature feels. I'd probably tell him/her to put on a sweater and/or drink more water (which also affects temperature sensitivity.)

One of my daughters has no body fat, and she's always cold. So when it's 105 degrees outside (like today :glare:) she's still comfy wearing jeans. She knows that she needs a sweater or sweatshirt even when the rest of us are on fire, and while I don't think it's rude to mention once or twice that you are cold, if your guest is continually complaining I do think that is rude. Either way, I wouldn't change the setting, but yes--offering to loan her a sweater or get an extra blanket would be my suggestion.

One of my daughters has no body fat, and she's always cold. So when it's 105 degrees outside (like today :glare:) she's still comfy wearing jeans. She knows that she needs a sweater or sweatshirt even when the rest of us are on fire, and while I don't think it's rude to mention once or twice that you are cold, if your guest is continually complaining I do think that is rude. Either way, I wouldn't change the setting, but yes--offering to loan her a sweater or get an extra blanket would be my suggestion.

That's funny because even when I was a size 2, 105 pounds I was hot. It's a curse, I tell you. :lol: