Menu

Are you scientifically literate?

I got 45 out of 50.
I got... bored.

Wow. That was one long test!

I stopped around question 27 (ADD/ADHD issues :lol:), but was doing quite well. I love science - but biology and natural sciences. Chemistry and physics, not so much. We used Elemental Science for grammar stage chemistry and physics. I knew a number of the questions from that. :D And I have been married to a science nerd forever so some knowledge must have rubbed off.

41/50. Perfect on the chemistry (I'd be humiliated otherwise :tongue_smilie:) and pretty good on physics. Not so hot on astronomy/astrophysics or biology. Almost everything I missed fell into those two categories.

I made a stupid mistake on one conversion because I was doing mental math at 11:30pm (or that's my excuse ;) ). There were several cases of me changing my mind at the last minute from the correct answer to a wrong answer. I hate that.

But hey, at least my degree (polymer chemistry) proved of some worth. I'm quite literate in chemistry and physics. :D

But hey, at least my degree (polymer chemistry) proved of some worth. I'm quite literate in chemistry and physics. :D

I recently read the book Science Matters. I found that topics I knew something about were knuckle-draggingly basic, and those I didn't I had to re-read whole pages to keep up. Reminded me of how much I didn't know.

Now I'm struggling with In Pursuit of the Unknown: 17 Equations That Changed the World. Ugh!

I got... bored.

Wow. That was one long test!

I stopped around question 27 (ADD/ADHD issues :lol:), but was doing quite well. I love science - but biology and natural sciences. Chemistry and physics, not so much. We used Elemental Science for grammar stage chemistry and physics. I knew a number of the questions from that. :D And I have been married to a science nerd forever so some knowledge must have rubbed off.

I stopped at one!! I am on my phone and it was super slow!! Maybe tomorrow when I am on the computer :)

I got a 35. I'd have gotten half that (basically just answered the questions that involved Greek mythology & word derivation correctly!) if I hadn't recently helped ds w/ biology, chemistry, & algebra 2.

The physics questions had me pretty well stumped.

Between dh (math and physics), ds (chemistry and weather), and myself (random facts rattling around my head and anything related to mythological names/historical scientific figures), we got a 42. :)

No telling what we'd have gotten individually. If it hadn't been a team effort and if ds didn't enjoy reading the Basher Chemistry books, I know I'd have scored much lower.

Cat

I got 33/50 - leaves a lot to be desired, but I suppose not too bad for a non-sciency person who did no physics and only the most basic bio and chem in high school, and no college science at all. There were a couple that I realized that correct answer as soon as I accidentally clicked the wrong one, but then one or two others were lucky guesses, so whatever...

Was it just me, or was that a seriously weird mixture of questions? I mean, some were stuff that any adult and most kids would know, some were easy because they told you the Greek roots, whereas others were stuff that there's absolutely no way you could know if you hadn't actually studied it.

Edited by Hotdrink

I got 32. Which I consider a respectable showing since I haven't been in a science class of any sort in nearly 30 years. And I certainly was not a science major. And my kids are 5, so they wouldn't have been any help.

Ha! I didn't turn off my JavaScript blocker, so at the end it couldn't give me a score. Then I tried reloading it, and it said I'd gotten 0 correct. Actually I got 6 or 7 wrong, but I didn't count properly. I wasn't very good at the physics ones, since I never took physics.

I got 33 (66%) through a lot of educated guessing, although i was surprised at what things came back to me ... terms like jeule and ohm. But i don't think I've even heard the word isosceles since high school. And I was wrong. It was scalene. Science was never my thing. I was a piano major

34 correct out of 50. Which is a 68% or D+. Ugh.

Not bad considering I did not take Biology, Chemistry, or Physics in high school. And only have a B.A. in Liberal Studies. ;) But am having fun learning with my 10th grader and had many years teaching K-6 grades as a schoolteacher.

ETA: Here is the basic scoring:

5 missed answers = 90% (A-)

10 missed answers = 80% (B-)

15 missed answers = 70% (C-)

20 missed answers = 60% (D-)

21+ " " " " = 50% (F)

Edited by tex-mex

46/50 although I did guess at a few. I hated physics and those were the ones I missed. I have a biology degree and dh has a chemistry degree and I just like reading science stuff.

Hey, we tied. OMG, if we got together in real life, we might bore the stiff out of others with our conversation!

I got 45 out of 50.

But as usual, for the most part, whoever developed that quiz equated knowledge of science with knowledge of scientific vocabulary. For example, knowing the name of the object beyond Pluto that precipitated Pluto's fall from planetude is not the same as knowing science.

I got 46/50, but I would have missed almost all the Physics questions if I hadn't just taught my kids Physics this year! I had a very bad Physics class in high school and blocked it all out. Apparently I learned something this year, though, because I only missed one Physics question. :)

Three of the four I got wrong, I had narrowed it down to two choices, and kicked myself when I picked wrong. Only one was a complete guess. All the Greek/Latin and mythology hints did help, though...

I like science. :)

Well, I should get bonus points for sticking with the entire test. But my score is embarrassing. I got a 26, which is 52%. But I'll be an honest Abe and confess that some of those correct answers were purely guesses that I just happened to get right. As my DH would say, even a blind squirrel can find an acorn every so often. :tongue_smilie:

But this is why I act more as a partner with ds16 and his school work. I'm learning this stuff all over again. We just started Chemistry this week. Maybe I should retake the test when we've finished this course. Of course I'm already not understanding the material and we're only on measurement and significant figures! :blush:

I had to stop around question 24 because it was taking too long to load the questions, but before that?....I was doing pretty horribly. Yikes, not even close to half of the answers correct. whoops :glare:

I sense a new project coming on. :lol:

:iagree: I got 13 out of the first 27 right. Explains why I have a degree in English. :lol:

I got 33, which I think isn't so bad, considering that I am very much NOT a science person. Math, history, even English, sure, but not science. A few were educated guesses; I was able to get them right from the choices given, but I may not have been able to come up with them on a fill-in-the-blank test.

I got 42 right. It took forever to get through the thing though. I wish all the questions were on 1 or maybe 2 pages instead of having to answer one question, click next, wait forever for it to load, see the answer, hit next again, wait forever and repeat. I know they're probably doing it to increase page views on their site.

50/50

Science geeks here. The 12 year old got 50/50 too. But, again, we study it pretty strictly and we have a 4-H science club in which we teach, chemistry, physics, engineering, aerospace, astronomy, geology, and biology. So we cover a lot of ground every year and that makes a test like this easy.

Otherwise, it's a test just like any bubble test. If you've recently studied the topics covered, you have a good chance of a reasonable score, if you're rusty, not so much though that doesn't mean you do not understand the scientific method or are incapable of scientific reasoning. These are skills that are difficult to measure on a multiple choice quiz.

Faith

Ok, you all are making me feel really dumb. Seriously, those periodic table questions, you knew all that without looking? I really am truly amazed. I thought that was a hard test and the information on it I didn't think most people would just know.

Ok, you all are making me feel really dumb. Seriously, those periodic table questions, you knew all that without looking? I really am truly amazed. I thought that was a hard test and the information on it I didn't think most people would just know.

We only got the periodic table questions because ds11 has been reading chemistry books recently. (Though dh and I were usually correct in our best guess...a combination of vague memories of chemistry class and ds telling us all about what he's reading, lol.)

ETA: Didn't get to finish...I think it depends on what knowledge you've been studying or using recently. :) If it had been up to only me, the biology, some chemistry, a little physics, and the history/language/geology questions would have been correct; dh would have gotten the mathematics and physics and some chemistry; ds would have gotten the chemistry and weather and a few misc. questions. We figure we'd have individually scored around 25-30 questions correct based on our individual interests and readings. :)

Cat

Edited by myfunnybunch