Menu

Are you scientifically literate?

I got a 32...missed most of the physics/measurement ones, too. lol

I wonder if, by scientifically literate, the quiz-makers believe that this should be common knowledge? I personally don't think so, but it was fun to take.

I am a terrible tester, IMO, because when I'm down to 2 choices (and this doesn't mean I *know* the material! LOL) I almost ALWAYS choose the wrong of the 2. :tongue_smilie:

41/50. Perfect on the chemistry (I'd be humiliated otherwise :tongue_smilie:) and pretty good on physics. Not so hot on astronomy/astrophysics or biology. Almost everything I missed fell into those two categories.

I made a stupid mistake on one conversion because I was doing mental math at 11:30pm (or that's my excuse ;) ). There were several cases of me changing my mind at the last minute from the correct answer to a wrong answer. I hate that.

But hey, at least my degree (polymer chemistry) proved of some worth. I'm quite literate in chemistry and physics. :D

Ha, I could have said the same thing pretty much (including the degree - graduate degree in polymer science). Except, I only got 39 out of fifty, but that was because I was too lazy to do a couple of calculations, so I just totally picked an answer randomly. Astronomy and meteorology are apparently not strong points for me, and biology needs some work :P

50/50

Science geeks here. The 12 year old got 50/50 too. But, again, we study it pretty strictly and we have a 4-H science club in which we teach, chemistry, physics, engineering, aerospace, astronomy, geology, and biology. So we cover a lot of ground every year and that makes a test like this easy.

Otherwise, it's a test just like any bubble test. If you've recently studied the topics covered, you have a good chance of a reasonable score, if you're rusty, not so much though that doesn't mean you do not understand the scientific method or are incapable of scientific reasoning. These are skills that are difficult to measure on a multiple choice quiz.

Faith

:lol:Yeah, as a scientist, who works in field as a consultant, I definitely didn't feel the test in any way assessed my ability as a scientist. It was just a bunch of high school facts memorization/regurgitation questions.

I took physics in high school and college, and I just taught the kids astronomy and earth science last year, and chemistry this past year. We read several books about the periodic table and made a huge periodic table on our sunroom floor with these cards. I have also studied Latin and a little Greek, so some of the language derivation questions were more language knowledge than science knowledge. My sister also gets Scientific American and leaves it in the bathroom, so I read quite a few articles from it. :tongue_smilie:

So, I did relatively well on some sections with my 72% correct. The rest I had no idea!

Not a test of scientific literacy at all. Knowing Greek and Latin terms or a symbol used to denote certain quantities has nothing to do with scientific literacy.

Knowing the word zygote does not mean the person understands anything about cell division. Converting Celsius to Farenheit is not science. Knowing what Greek letter is used for the coefficient of friction does not mean the person knows anything about friction. "

"Over half of the world's supply of what element, which gets its name from the epithet of the Greek goddess Athena, is used in catalytic converters?" That's a Greek mythology question, right?

A pointless collection of factoids, a nice game, but certainly not a test of "scientific literacy".

Edited by regentrude

Ouch. 34. Apparently I will be outsourcing high school science (but I already knew that!) Sadly, If it weren't for the mythology and pop-culture clues on many of the questions, I probably wouldn't have gotten above a 20. History/legal studies major here.

Not a test of scientific literacy at all. Knowing Greek and Latin terms or a symbol used to denote certain quantities has nothing to do with scientific literacy.

Knowing the word zygote does not mean the person understands anything about cell division. Converting Celsius to Farenheit is not science. Knowing what Greek letter is used for the coefficient of friction does not mean the person knows anything about friction.

A pointless collection of factoids, a nice game, but certainly not a test of "scientific literacy".

Good point.

Perhaps the title should be, "Scientific JEOPARDY" or Scientific Trivia"? :D

41%. Most of the ones I got wrong were physics questions--I've never taken a physics or even physical science class in my life, so I guess that's not surprising. I love biology and took quite a lot of chemistry...and I like science in general.

Knowing the word zygote does not mean the person understands anything about cell division. Converting Celsius to Farenheit is not science. Knowing what Greek letter is used for the coefficient of friction does not mean the person knows anything about friction. "

"Over half of the world's supply of what element, which gets its name from the epithet of the Greek goddess Athena, is used in catalytic converters?" That's a Greek mythology question, right?

I was thinking it was more like, "Have you read Popular Science?" than an actual science literacy quiz.

36 right (72%)

Knowledge of Greek and Latin word roots gave me about 4 of those, and guessing, probably another 2-3.

This exactly!

I thought I did well considering I left high school halfway through chemistry and never took physics.

This.

Though I have to say that I learned the answer to the catalytic converter thing in o-chem.